Hollywood Film Awards ’11: Michelle Williams looks fab! But I can’t endorse Anne Hathaway’s makeup, Carey Mulligan’s hair—or Stacy Keibler

Michelle Williams - Hollywood Film Awards 2011

So apparently I was wrong when I said that the ELLE Women in Hollywood tribute was supposed to get us through until January’s People’s Choice Awards. I forgot ALL about yet another red carpet event—because who can keep track, really?—called the Hollywood Film Awards. It took place in Beverly Hills on Monday night, and because we love nothing better than to critique celebrities’ hair and makeup, I present the photo evidence to you now.

But first! A word of caution: as far as beauty goes, this was a weird one. Even though some of our favourites were in attendance (Michelle Williams, Anne Hathaway, Emma Stone), it was only Michelle who earned my beauty seal of approval. Seriously, there were things going on here with makeup and hair that never should’ve happened. (Okay, maybe this is all par for the course for someone who “dates” George Clooney… but frankly? The rest of these celebs know better.) Come and see what I mean…

I love you, Emma Stone, but I can’t get excited about this look.

Emma Stone Hollywood Film Awards 2011 Hollywood Film Awards 11: Michelle Williams looks fab! But I cant endorse Anne Hathaways makeup, Carey Mulligans hair—or Stacy Keibler

Is it the lipstick? I think it’s the lipstick. Or maybe the lipstick plus the hair, plus the eyeshadow, plus the earrings. Something is just off here, and I can’t quite put my finger on it. However, I do like how the hair is styled—this isn’t a great shot of it, but Emma’s wearing a perfectly executed side bun.

Anne Hathaway demonstrates the importance of finding the right foundation colour.

Anne Hathaway Hollywood Film Awards 2011 Hollywood Film Awards 11: Michelle Williams looks fab! But I cant endorse Anne Hathaways makeup, Carey Mulligans hair—or Stacy Keibler

Shocking, isn’t it? That an A-list celeb like Anne would step out on the red carpet with a whole new sub-species of Eagle? In this case, it’s not that her face is lighter than her neck and chest—it’s that her face is yellow and her neck and chest are more pink. I’ve gotta say, this is probably the worst form of Eagle you can have. No matter how much I love her hair (colour and style) and her eye makeup (liner and lashes), you only notice the weirdness with her skin. Make sure this doesn’t happen to you! Watch this vid.

This hairstyle is giving Carey Mulligan a fivehead.

Carey Mulligan Hollywood Film Awards 2011 Hollywood Film Awards 11: Michelle Williams looks fab! But I cant endorse Anne Hathaways makeup, Carey Mulligans hair—or Stacy Keibler

Carey is far from a red carpet tragedy here. (I’m not even going to nit-pick about the lashes because actually, the spidery thing is kind of on trend.) But I must urge her to never, ever wear her hair like this again. This pompadour thing that’s going on, and in bright platinum no less, is only making her forehead look HUGE. It’s not flattering, and it’s even more tragic when you consider how darn cute she can look when she has more of a bang.

Michelle Williams delivers the one beauty bright spot in a sea of failure.

Michelle Williams Hollywood Film Awards 2011 Hollywood Film Awards 11: Michelle Williams looks fab! But I cant endorse Anne Hathaways makeup, Carey Mulligans hair—or Stacy Keibler

Usually, I’m kind of “meh” about Michelle Williams and her short ‘do. It’s kind of like Halle Berry, who always looks incredible but doesn’t really give me anything to talk about. Clearly, both ladies have discovered their Life Cuts—and I don’t know what it is about Michelle here, but I’m buying what she’s selling. The cut itself is perfection (Carey, take note), her skin is absolutely radiant, and I’m really digging that shade of peach on the lips and cheeks. Nicely played!

Stacy Keibler set her makeup gun to “clown.”

Stacy Keibler Hollywood Film Awards 2011 Hollywood Film Awards 11: Michelle Williams looks fab! But I cant endorse Anne Hathaways makeup, Carey Mulligans hair—or Stacy Keibler

Hands up if you believe George Clooney is in a real relationship with this woman. I’m sorry, but just based on her “style,” I’m not a believer. Okay, she is clearly a good-looking woman. But when you have a tan this deep (in October!), hair this frosted and makeup this overdone (HELLO blush and eyeshadow and eyeliner!), it’s just not classy. And this is why I think she’s an employee, not a girlfriend. (But still, George should have at least known enough to arrange a makeunder.)

Amber Heard does the Old Hollywood thing again, but maybe needs her roots done.

Amber Heard Hollywood Film Awards 2011 Hollywood Film Awards 11: Michelle Williams looks fab! But I cant endorse Anne Hathaways makeup, Carey Mulligans hair—or Stacy Keibler

Amber’s always on the red carpet lately, and I love how she’s doing the retro look a lot. It’s still a bit much for my tastes—hair too blonde, makeup maybe a tad too heavy—but it would certainly be a better direction for poor old Stacy to follow. I do, however, think that if you’re going to commit to being a bright, solid-colour blonde, you need to commit like Gwen Stefani. As in touch-ups every 10 days. Once I start seeing that much root (or whatever is going on here closer to the back), it cheapens it. Have you ever seen Gwen with less-than-perfect colour? I mean it—have you?

Glenn Close is 64. Discuss.

Glenn Close Hollywood Film Awards 2011 Hollywood Film Awards 11: Michelle Williams looks fab! But I cant endorse Anne Hathaways makeup, Carey Mulligans hair—or Stacy Keibler

You know bugs me? The carte blanche some people give to celebs of a certain vintage; as in “she looks great for [insert age here].” I’m sorry, but some people actually DON’T look great for their age. And I’m going to come out and say it: Glenn is one of them. I mean, she doesn’t look terrible, but I think lots of 64-year-olds are doing better. Even Helen Mirren, who is 66. But I will say something nice: I like how Glenn did her makeup here. (Read these anti-aging makeup tips and you’ll understand what she did right.)

Julianne Hough cut her hair. It’s an improvement.

Julianne Hough Hollywood Film Awards 2011 Hollywood Film Awards 11: Michelle Williams looks fab! But I cant endorse Anne Hathaways makeup, Carey Mulligans hair—or Stacy Keibler

Like Stacy Keibler, Julianne Hough is another celeb that needs our help. (And maybe not just in beauty—do you think she’s really dating Ryan Seacrest?) The other common theme is the too-dark tan. But I do like that she chopped her hair because it takes away from the fakeness a bit. There is potential here.

Rosie Huntington-Whitely needs to stop it with the “model face.”

Rosie Huntington Whiteley Hollywood Film Awards 2011 Hollywood Film Awards 11: Michelle Williams looks fab! But I cant endorse Anne Hathaways makeup, Carey Mulligans hair—or Stacy Keibler

Rosie Huntington-Whiteley is really trying to make this acting thing stick. I’m skeptical, just because she can’t seem to stop giving that posey, pouty, model-esque expression on the red carpet. Do you see it? She’s so beautiful, obvi, but she doesn’t at all have the appeal of, say, a Julia Roberts or a Reese Witherspoon. That said, I do love the way she wears a berry lipstick, and she seems to have followed this trick for channeling your baby hairs into a fuzzy, face-framing halo.

And now I’m turning it over to you…

Which of these celeb looks is your fave?
Which one(s) do you have issues with?
Is it just me or do Stacy Keibler and Julianne Hough have a lot in common?

Mandie
Wednesday, October 26/2011 at 4:52 pm

I actually think you were being too harsh on these celebs. The only ones I thought had real issues were Anne (yeah, that’s chalky and yellow, plus the necklace just looks like a mole), Carey (living dead pale, as opposed to Michelle’s glowy pale) and Rosie. I can’t really comment on Rosie, because she has a wayward eyebrow hair that bugs me too much to notice the rest.

Stacy would be overdone for picking up laundry, but I think she figured the flash would wash her out and she overcompensated a bit. I think if I had to appear on the red carpet tomorrow, I’d probably make the same mistake. So I’m cutting her some slack. (I also feel a bit sorry for her, she’s been catching a lot of flack since dating/whatever George Clooney. Poor thing.)

Thursday, October 27/2011 at 9:07 pm

You’re not the only one who thought that! (That I was being too harsh!) Yes probably :-)
For the record, it’s really only Anne and Stacy that I have real issues with… Clooney is so A-list that I’m shocked every time I see his new gf. But yeah, that can’t be fun for her.

Audrey
Thursday, October 27/2011 at 10:50 pm

michelle was totally not being too harsh. every single woman on this page is in show business, which they entered voluntarily. as such, they are a walking poster for their own brand and image. celebrities are looked upon as trend setters and beauty icons. it is their job to look great and be on trend beauty-wise.
i especially think that if a celebrity invests a lot of time and energy into looking a certain way, they should at least be doing it right. take julianne hough for example. she is obviously trying very hard – too much makeup, too much hair, too safely and Barbie-ly styled at all times – to look the way she does. but she still turns out looking totally dated and overdone. i don’t think its too harsh to criticize celebrities for their beauty blunders, when looking good is their job. for which get they get paid inordinate sums of money.

Elaine K
Wednesday, October 26/2011 at 5:01 pm

Hahaha i’m laughing away at your conspiracy theory over all these fake girlfriends! So funny. But why would they, esp Clooney, even bother? It’s not like he’s looking for the publicity or trying to prove that he’s straight, I can’t imagine that anyone would care if he’s single for a few years.

So on to the makeup- I love the observations, I’ve been thinking that way about Rosie H-W for a while now. Love her lipstick here but the eyeshadow is just meh.

Michelle Williams looks so amazing! I’m imagining Carey Mulligan showing her hair and makeup people a photo of her the morning after saying ‘THAT’S what I wanted’. Carey’s coverage looks a bit too heavy but Michelle’s is perfect. How does it look so natural looking without showing any freckles? She has to have SOME freckles right?? I want to know what foundation/powder she’s wearing!!

I try to be nice (as they’re criticised so much already) but Anne Hathaway is really starting to lose it lately. She’s verging into Katy Perry territory here!

Thursday, October 27/2011 at 9:12 pm

I saw something on Lainey about Clooney’s girlfriends – she called it “his compulsive need to not be alone at these events.”

I’m in love with Michelle’s skin as well! Apparently her makeup artist is Jeanine Lobell who created Stila. So possibly that’s what she’s wearing…

Thomas
Wednesday, October 26/2011 at 6:20 pm

I’M BACK BABY.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.
I haven’t heard anyone be honest about a celeb like you were about Glenn Close in a VERY long time. I mean, I’m sorry, but you need a microscope just to find her eyes. Not trying to be bitchy or anything, she’s a great actress, but hey! She never was and never WILL be a beautiful woman – she was Cruella De Vil for a reason.
Moving on.
I love Anne hair colour here, she has never really experimented with it beyond going slighter lighter/darker brown before, and to see her with some beachy, BRASSY even (in the best possible, a la Carrie Bradshaw way) is wonderful, but what. is. up. with. her. face. I know celebs make the wrong choice sometimes, but really. Someone was PAYED to mutilate her in this way? Shocking.
This Amber Heard girl (where did she come from?? What has she been in??) is my kind of beautiful. Like truly, stunningly perfect, I’d take that over Rosie’s look any day to be a model! As for the roots thing, I don’t know, I like it. I mean, its not like MAHJAYLY obviously, and tbh I think that when you have this skin tone and this level of lighteness, it actually makes it a lot more natural looking to have roots (notice how Lady GaGa, Gwen Stefani, Madonna… all pale skintones?)

Huge fan, hyper-hair-colour-aware Thomas xx

Sophia
Thursday, October 27/2011 at 2:23 pm

Eep, I think saying “she never was and never WILL be a beautiful woman” is a bit much.

Thomas
Thursday, October 27/2011 at 2:50 pm

Haha I know, sorry I wasn’t in the best of moods! What I meant by it was that she has a very unconventional look, but really, I meant it almost as a compliment, like despite not being traditionally beautiful she has had such an amazing career and has done so well for herself :) hope I didn’t offend anyone!

Thursday, October 27/2011 at 9:14 pm

YAYYY! We missed you!
Re: Glenn C., I guess what I was saying was more about her skin – not that she can help it of course. Great actress though.

I noticed Anne’s hair as well – those highlights are to die. Marie Robinson is her colourist!

Samantha
Wednesday, October 26/2011 at 7:10 pm

I think most of them look okay, i mean nobody’s perfect.

Nicole
Wednesday, October 26/2011 at 10:19 pm

I too think it’s the lips on Emma that are a bit off. I think she still looks gorgeous but it seems to be the wrong shade. Anne is almost tragic here, she’s pink, she’s always been pink, why anyone would put yellow anywhere near her I have no idea. And yes, that neckalce does look like a mole :P Maybe I’m naive but I’m willing to believe in Stacey and Julianne’s relationships, maybe George just wanted someone who was polar opposite to Elisabetta Canalis? I agree with your observations regarding Carey, Michelle & Rosie, but to be truthful, they all bore me to tears. Yes they’re pretty but for some reason I just don’t care. I kind of agree on Glenn as well. As for Amber, the roots don’t bother me at all. They just look a little… brassy? but I see some of that shade near the ends of her hair too.

Thursday, October 27/2011 at 9:19 pm

Well, I’m more willing to buy into the George & Stacy relationship than Ryan & Julianne.

Rosie is very beautiful but very wooden.

Nomadic D
Thursday, October 27/2011 at 3:29 am

I agree that Michelle looks insanely amazing in that photo, the haircut, the makeup, everything’s just perfect. Everyone else, on the other hand, just looks so vanilla that I can’t even really muster up a comment. Everyone’s just so… blonde. No offense, but I feel like, for all the difference and issues you’re pointing out, everyone just looks like they came out of the same almost-celeb factory.

Thursday, October 27/2011 at 9:20 pm

Maybe that’s why this post came out sorta bitchy – it was a bit of a snooze as far as red carpet looks go!

marta
Thursday, October 27/2011 at 6:12 am

I actually like Emma Stone in this picture, I think he looks as nice as usual.
And Glenn looks well to me. I mean, she is 64, she looks like 64, there is nothing wrong with her wrinkles :)

Thursday, October 27/2011 at 9:22 pm

Oh don’t get me wrong, I’ve never seen her look BAD… I’m just nit-picking here about that lip colour choice. As for Glenn, sure, nothing wrong with wrinkles (obviously preferable to messing with surgery etc)… I was just surprised to see how much she had aged and when I compare her to my mom for example, my mom’s skin texture looks waaay better. :-)
But I love Glenn’s work nonetheless.

Mellyjo
Thursday, October 27/2011 at 9:31 am

I like Emma’s look a lot more by covering up the blue dangly things on the bottom of her earrings. too much colour (and cool tones) methinks.
Anne is looking pale, dry and pasty here – radiant smile though.
Carey is also looking a little pale and ashy, non?

Thursday, October 27/2011 at 9:24 pm

Maybe that’s it!
And yeah, Carey’s skin was picked up on by a few other commenters… I think maybe the hair colour is too light for her.

ana p
Thursday, October 27/2011 at 11:00 am

Emma’s look: it’s the lipstick. I hate hate this 90′s type shade/texture. Ages ladies.
Michelle. Love everything, as always.
Glen Close. As the Family Guy writer’s once said, “she’s a handsome man”. You can only work with what you got. (well….)
Carey. That lipstick belongs to Glen Close or your Fabulous suburban Aunt in the track suit.
So tell me Michelle, what’s the process here? Do celebs typically have no say in their make up?… because I assume they all get it done. Or is it just a case of the dumb dumbs sometimes?

Thursday, October 27/2011 at 9:41 pm

Well I think the biggest thing is that makeup can look amazing in person but absolutely terrible in flash photography. And probably a lot of celebs, like Anne, are too trusting and just assume the MUA knows what he/she is doing.

Rose
Thursday, October 27/2011 at 1:08 pm

Sorry, but I have to disagree about Glenn Close. I think she looks beautiful for 64! :)

Thursday, October 27/2011 at 9:41 pm

Fair enough! :-)

Lolli
Thursday, October 27/2011 at 2:15 pm

Geez, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Regarding Anne Hathaway, as a super pale person myself, I think the pink of her neck is a natural flush which comes and goes with stress, cold air etc and . So in defense of her makeup artist, her foundation probably matched much better when it was applied. That said, they also probably went with a yellowish tint to try to tone down her redness.

Thursday, October 27/2011 at 9:43 pm

Haha, probably – can I say it was PMS? :-)

That makes sense re: Anne…

Mia
Thursday, October 27/2011 at 2:28 pm

I would like to read “So-and-so looks beautiful” without the “for 64 (or 40 or whatever)” always tacked on. At what point do women reach the age when the qualifier has to be stuck on? I’d love to live in a world where we accept that people are, and look, all sorts of vintages and get beyond the trappings of age. We’d never say “Emma Stone looks great for 22″ (or whatever age she is)!! Why reduce women to whether or not they can look more youthful than what they actually might be?

I also wish we could stick to dissecting and criticizing the makeup. Seems that in this instance Ms. Close is being criticized for her actual FACE instead of the makeup. Which is beyond her control. She’s an actress, not a model, so it seems unfair to start in on her like that. And if you say “Not trying to be picky (or bitchy or whatever) it usually means you are.

Thursday, October 27/2011 at 9:45 pm

You make a good point! I apologize, I shouldn’t have gone there with Glenn.

QuiteLight
Friday, October 28/2011 at 2:56 pm

Mia, I think I’m with you on this one. Age is not an insult. I get kind of weirded out when people rag on celebrities for daring to age in public. Plastic surgery is not mandatory, and it IS the reason some celebrities don’t seem to age!

We all age, It’s not a bad thing, it really isn’t! And it’s not optional! & I give triple bonus points to any actor or actress (or singer, or newscaster…) who dares to Age in front of the camera!

I wish there were more people aging naturally in the public eye in North America; maybe then it wouldn’t be so traumatic for people.

Magda
Thursday, October 27/2011 at 10:26 pm

Ok, for a “celebrity”, Rosie’s makeup is just all wrong. She’s shiny, and what’s going on with the blush? Ugh…

StephanieG
Friday, October 28/2011 at 10:25 am

What really sticks out to me is Rosie’s upper lip: I’m seeing slightly off colour and uneveness, possibly due to some injectable filler? I’ve had juvederm before (not in my lips though) and to me her upper lip looks a little pincushiony.

Evelyn
Sunday, November 6/2011 at 5:20 pm

Hi Michelle! I don’t think you were too hash about Glenn and I’m a big fan of hers. I read this blog because of your total honesty. You aren’t doing it to be a bad person (it is quite obvious that you are lovely!), you are just trying to be a good writer. Please don’t change – you are a breath of fresh air in a very false ‘beauty world’ – keep up the good work!!!

Kirsten
Thursday, March 1/2012 at 2:43 pm

Rosie is a Cameron Diaz look alike to me. Stacie and Julianne aren’t comfortable with their natural skin tone. I have seen Julianne in person sans the tan and she’s lovely.

Amber Heard is pretty and reminds me of Sharon Stone back in the day (Basic Instinct) when she first became famous.

Glenn looks like hell- she always has- she needs fake lashes for bigger eyes- it’s a good thing she’s such a great actress. Meryl was always prettier though. Of their generation my favorite who had it all was the amazing JESSICA LANGE.