Boo! Halloween is here—so conjure up a celeb-inspired costume with these 10 hair and makeup ideas

Nicki Minaj Halloween costume

If you’re like me, you have a closet full of discarded Halloween props. Angel wings, a pitchfork, cowboy hat, cat ears and more than a few of those sequin eye masks. (What can I say? I like the classics.) But if you’re itching for something more creative, something more distinctly 2011, then I’ve got 10 celebrities you could most definitely channel.

All you need is a wig and some crazy makeup shades…

#10: Rihanna

Rihanna Boo! Halloween is here—so conjure up a celeb inspired costume with these 10 hair and makeup ideas

I know she’s no longer sporting her signature fire-engine red, but how many times have you seen that exact colour of wig at the costume store? Style it any way you please (we’ve seen Rihanna with everything from clown-wig curls to long and stick-straight), but just remember that heat tools will melt plastic. Add some bright blue eyeshadow, pink lipstick and extra-long fingernails (these polishes would come in handy) and you’ll be good to go.

#9: Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift Boo! Halloween is here—so conjure up a celeb inspired costume with these 10 hair and makeup ideas

I know we’re always after Taylor for not switching up her look—winged-out black eyeliner, red lipstick and curls that swoop over one side—but that all means she’ll make an excellent (read: easily identifiable) Halloween costume. Pair with a mock microphone and the most twee dress you can find.

#8: Kim Kardashian

Kim Kardashian MTV Music Video Awards 2011 Boo! Halloween is here—so conjure up a celeb inspired costume with these 10 hair and makeup ideas

For this one, you’ll need to hit up the fake tan, grab the longest black wig you can find and then buy several packs of false eyelashes at the drugstore. And on that note, prepare to spend a lot of time working on the whole eyelash business—it’s tricky business. You will also need to work on your contouring skillz for both face and, um, the breastage area. (Look closely—that…er…”shadow” is definitely enhanced.)

#7: Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Born This Way Press Conference Boo! Halloween is here—so conjure up a celeb inspired costume with these 10 hair and makeup ideas

Still a strong costume choice for 2011—and really, what look hasn’t Lady Gaga tried at this point? Just get creative and you can’t go wrong. You’ll need to have a blonde wig—whip out your scissors and give it a choppy bob—and then hit up the Shu Uemura lash counter for the best false lash assortment you’ll find anywhere. (I’m talking feathers, beads, glitter…)

#6: Beyoncé and Babyoncé

Beyonce MTV Music Video Awards 2011 Boo! Halloween is here—so conjure up a celeb inspired costume with these 10 hair and makeup ideas

This costume lets you get a bit more glam—it’s really all about that red dress and the baby bump. As with Kim K., wear tons of false lashes, a glossy nude lip and then accessorize with boatloads of obnoxious costume jewellery.

#5: Katy Perry

Katy Perry MTV Music Video Awards 2011 Boo! Halloween is here—so conjure up a celeb inspired costume with these 10 hair and makeup ideas

The Geisha girl costume is a fun one regardless, but you can totally add a Katy Perry twist with a lavender-coloured wig and her signature blue eye makeup and pink lips. Make sure to really emphasize the roundness of your eyes… and bring along a Russell Brand-esque male companion to complete the look.

#4: Snooki

Nicole Snooki Polizzi 2011 Boo! Halloween is here—so conjure up a celeb inspired costume with these 10 hair and makeup ideas

I predict we’ll see loads of Snookis running around this year. Forget self-tanner (it won’t get dark enough) and just go out and buy some wash-off body tint. Layer repeatedly until you achieve that signature Oompa-Loompa hue. The makeup is obvious: you want the lips and the eyeshadow to be frosty pale—all the better to clash with your newfound skin colour. For hair, you could do the classic Snooki bump, or try these coloured hair extensions (Crayola sells some!).

#3: Nicki Minaj

Nicki Minaj Boo! Halloween is here—so conjure up a celeb inspired costume with these 10 hair and makeup ideas

Apparently Nicki Minaj is the most-searched celeb costume this year. There are two must-haves: you need a blonde wig with blunt bangs, and a pink lipstick (choose from this slightly lavender shade or a hot pink). I’m also loving that glittery turquoise liner under the eyes.

#2: Lindsey Lohan

Lindsay Lohan Boo! Halloween is here—so conjure up a celeb inspired costume with these 10 hair and makeup ideas

The celebrity trainwreck costume is always a good one, and poor Linds here provides ample inspiration. As with Snooki, you need a deep and unflattering fake tan; pair it with one of those stringy blonde wigs that are always kicking around the costume shops. Make sure to draw your pink lipstick way outside the lip line for that Juvie-enhanced look. If you can find some false rotting teeth, even better!

#1: Kate Middleton

Kate Middleton fascinator Boo! Halloween is here—so conjure up a celeb inspired costume with these 10 hair and makeup ideas

Okay, so Kate’s my number one—just because princess costumes were always my favourite. This one works best for brunettes, though: coax your locks into Kate’s bouncy curls and top with an elegant fascinator. For makeup, it’s all about the strong brows and that much-discussed under-eye liner. Hopefully, you’ve got a Prince William to bring along…

Tell me:

Got any Halloween parties to attend?
Do you have your costume idea already?
Which celebrity costume do you like best?

Michelle (LipstickRules)
Friday, October 28/2011 at 3:41 pm

Great list! That picture of Snooki scared me LOL ;-)

Thomas
Friday, October 28/2011 at 4:13 pm

This list is fantastic :’) I especially love the Kate Middleton idea! At our local carnival this year, there was a Royal Wedding float… Except Kate, Pippa, the Queen and Camilla were all in drag! Very funny! Poor Lindsay though, she really does look like someyhing that crawls out from under your bed on Halloween. And she was so pretty too!!!

Huge fan, hyper-hair-colour-aware Thomas xx

jenny
Friday, October 28/2011 at 5:32 pm

i was lindsey lohan last year. i took flour and put it all around my nose in addition to what you just suggested. it was a hit.

Thomas
Friday, October 28/2011 at 6:06 pm

You have no idea how much that made me laugh :’)

Kat
Friday, October 28/2011 at 9:32 pm

You could also get creative with the makeup and make a more morbid version of a celebrity, like Lindsay Lohan zombified, or some kind of hybrid, a Snooki smurfette, or Taylor Swift gone train wreck, something unexpected :P It’s always fun to cosplay a celebrity, but you gotta bring some of your own personality to it I find, or else it’s like “oh look, another Nicki Minaj costume…”

Kat
Friday, October 28/2011 at 9:41 pm

Just had a flash… A Taylor Swift/Ke$ha hybrid would be awesome! All you need is a sparkly dress, wavy blonde Taylor hair, winged liner to one side, Kesha glitter on the other, throw on some sparkly heels, torn fishnets, and carry a bottle of Jack, slurring “Romeo take me~~ somewhere we can Blah blah blah!” everywhere. /nods Yep, I got my hypothetical costume for next year. (I’m zombie hippie chick this year… “Peaaaaaaaace!” *deadpan face*)

Nomadic D
Saturday, October 29/2011 at 3:06 am

This is an awesome list! I think Nicki Minaj might be the most fun, but there’s some really good choices here! I don’t think I’ll be doing anything for halloween, they don’t appreciate it so much in spain!

Mandie
Saturday, October 29/2011 at 7:03 am

Great choices, although I’d like to look like Kate Middleton every day, not just special occasions! I actually saw an old lady in a restaurant last night who had Rihanna-red hair, for real. That’s right, not as part of a costume, that was her chosen hair colour. I don’t even know how you can get your hair such a vibrant shade of red without going to clown college or wearing a wig.

Phil
Saturday, October 29/2011 at 11:57 am

I’m so glad we don’t do Halloween that much in Belgium.
We don’t have enough train wreck celebrities to want to copy, like America does :)

Sadly for some people here it’s always time to dress & makeup like a hot mess.
Deep dark orange tans in wintertime, grandma’s rocking a full black eye like taylor momson?

Great post as always ;)

Kat
Saturday, October 29/2011 at 4:21 pm

“Do they just put out everything they have on a table, smash their heads on it and roll around till something sticks?” …damn you, what’s wrong with my application technique?! :P No wait… that’s my studying technique actually, smash my head and roll around till something catches on. /nods

Phil
Saturday, October 29/2011 at 7:07 pm

AMEN! Just don’t put any juice or soda’s nearby..

Matt
Saturday, October 29/2011 at 6:45 pm

I don’t understand why Taylor Swift insists on wearing a red lip at EVERY red carpet she’s on. It really ages her. She should try a pinkish nude for a change. It’s modern and would look great on her skin tone and features. I’m new to this site by the way and I love it!!

CherieJolai
Tuesday, November 1/2011 at 8:43 pm

Great Halloween ideas. You can keep this inspiration throughout the year (maybe not as drastic). I wanted more = these looks seem to be the most popular: http://www.typef.com/slideshow/celebrity-costume-ideas/