Can natural and organic products make your skin look BETTER? I say yes—so you’ve gotta check out my latest discoveries!

woman holding rose

Lately, I’ve been all about natural and organic beauty prodz—things I can put on my face and feel good about. Because I have sensitive skin, I’ve found that the fewer chemicals and harsh ingredients I use, the better my skin looks. (Being a holistic nutritionist, these things really excite me.)

Yes, I use mascaras and bronzers and eyeliners full of hard to pronounce ingredients (and I don’t plan on stopping—they’re my HG prodz, after all!), but when it comes to what I actually put on my skin, I’m giving the natural route a go. (Part of my inspiration? Reading Beauty: Pure + Simple by Kristen Ma.)

Anyway, for the last few weeks I’ve been a total product guinea pig (tough job, I know!), and testing out a whole bunch of the latest natural and organic skincare items to hit store shelves. Here are four brand new favourites…

Korres Wild Rose 24-hour Moisturizer

Korres Wild Rose Moisturizer Can natural and organic products make your skin look BETTER? I say yes—so youve gotta check out my latest discoveries!I’m in love with this product (and I am particular about my moisturizers). I’ve been using Korres’ Wild Rose Foundation for a while now, and have been dying to try the accompanying moisturizer—well, it totally lived up to my expectations. Formulated to both hydrate and brighten the complexion, this divine concoction contains wild rose oil, grapeseed extract and olive oil. It’s really light and sinks into my skin immediately, leaving it moisturized but not at all oily. I don’t know exactly what it is about it, but my skin just L.O.V.E.S it.

Buy it: $44 at select Shoppers Drug Mart and Sephora stores

Consonant Antioxidant Superhero Serum

Consonant Antioxidant Superhero Serum Can natural and organic products make your skin look BETTER? I say yes—so youve gotta check out my latest discoveries!I’ve been hemming and hawing over serums forEVAH, so was thrilled to try this all-natural, organic prod that’s perf for those of us with sensitive skin. Consonant’s slogan? “What goes on your body, goes in your body.” Yep, it’s a company that warms a health nut’s heart. I also love that all their prodz are created and produced in Canada (holla!). This serum helps protect and rebuild collagen, smooths lines and wrinkles and evens skin tone with zinc and kaolin clay. In other words, it helps keep us looking fresh and youthful! I really like the way it feels on my skin—it absorbs quickly and it also mattifies, so you can use it as a primer, too.

Buy it: $63 at Consonant’s flagship store in Toronto and select retailers throughout North America

Éminence Clear Skin Probiotic Cleanser

Eminence Clear Skin Probiotic Cleanser Can natural and organic products make your skin look BETTER? I say yes—so youve gotta check out my latest discoveries!

Talk about an amazing product line—this Hungarian company makes everything from cleansers, toners and moisturizers to body lotion, masques, tinted moisturizer and now vitamins—and they’re ALL natural and organic. Must. Try. Everything. The cleanser is part of the company’s new Clear Skin Solution Regimen, formulated to remove impurities and clarify problem skin while maintaining moisture balance. I definitely noticed that this cleanser left me squeaky clean without that tight, dry feeling (thanks to the sweet almond milk), and the yogurt is definitely helping with exfoliation because my skin has been clear and smooth.

Buy it: $38 at select salons and spas nationwide

Lush Brazened Honey Fresh Mask

LUSH Brazened Honey Fresh Mask Can natural and organic products make your skin look BETTER? I say yes—so youve gotta check out my latest discoveries!I’ve sung the praises of DIY face masks, but I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say that this baby might even top them! When you’re going for convenience, Lush’s masks are totally the ticket: they come in adorable little containers that you have to pop right into the fridge because they’re preservative-free and made with essential oils, cleansing clays and fresh fruit and veggies (so they only last three weeks). I absolutely love the smell of this detoxifying mask, and it’s the perfect morning-after solution to a night on the town or for when tired, dull skin needs a wakeup call. It made my skin super-soft and clean-feeling.

Buy it: $6.95 at Lush stores

Elizabeth Oborne is a Vancouver-based writer and holistic nutritionist. Follow her on Twitter: @elizabethedits.

Tell us:

What are your favourite natural or organic products?
Have you tried any of the brands mentioned above?
Do you mix n’ match conventional and natural stuff or are you a product purist?

Alexis
Wednesday, November 2/2011 at 4:58 pm

I’ve been looking for a natural/organic skincare products as well! I tried the Korres Wild Rose regimen sampler on a whim, and I noticed that occasional breakouts disappeared completely. To be honest, my skin has never been better. When I went back to chemical cleansers, breakouts started making regular appearances again.

I think maybe I’ll give Pai a try, though, before going back to Korres.

Elizabeth
Thursday, November 3/2011 at 8:36 pm

Anything with rose in it seems to work wonders! What’s Pai? I’ll have to check it out!

Sophia
Wednesday, November 2/2011 at 6:12 pm

Holy toledo, organic doesn’t come cheap! (aside from Lush, that is)

Elizabeth
Thursday, November 3/2011 at 8:36 pm

Tell me about it! (sad face)

Elaine R
Wednesday, November 2/2011 at 6:23 pm

Ditto on the Korress Wild Rose regimen sampler – my skin has never looked better. And that includes when I used other natural products or chemical-y products

Elizabeth
Thursday, November 3/2011 at 8:37 pm

What has worked the best for you? The Wild Rose products?

Elaine R
Friday, November 4/2011 at 12:26 pm

So far, the Wild Rose products. The Rocky Mountain Soap Company’s products used to work well for me, until my skin changed and got a bit oilier.

Me my best and I
Wednesday, November 2/2011 at 7:05 pm

Ive just started a blog project called Natural November whereby EVERYTHING I use make-up/skincare/bodycare/toothpaste etc are 100% natural and/or organic. I agree with keeping the core skincare items natural and organic. I love the idea of the Korres foundation must look that up, anything roseoil based is a winner for me and that Consonant serum sounds fab, zinc & clay would also make it so good for problem skin like mine. I worked at Lush here in Sydney for a wile and was lucky enough to go to the Lush factory and make the fresh masks, they literally get fresh fruit and veg that morning and I had to prep it and whizz it up with this huge hand held blender!!

Elizabeth
Thursday, November 3/2011 at 8:38 pm

Natural November sounds awesome! :) And so does getting to blend the fresh masks at Lush. I love them!

Me my best and I
Thursday, November 3/2011 at 9:18 pm

Thanks Elizabeth- I’m so enjoying Natural November so far- be really interesting to see what I want to keep at the end, in my regular routine but I’m speculating a lot!! So happy I got to do that at Lush so I can confirm the care, love and fresh, fresh fruit & veg that goes into each and every little pot (I haven’t treated myself to one in yonks- perhaps it’s a sign I need to get me some Brazened Honey ;) !!)

Marina (Makeup4all)
Thursday, November 3/2011 at 6:00 am

Korres also makes amazing body creams and lotions. I’m using my second tube of Jasmine butter.

Lisa
Thursday, November 3/2011 at 12:18 pm

There are a few natural/ organic brands that I’ve had some great luck with. The first is Earth Science. LOVE their Clarifying Facial Wash, I also like their Clarifying Toner, Azzulene eye cream, and their Almond- Aloe moisturizer is quite nice too. Avalon Organics has some nice moisturizers and serums in their Vitamin C line. I get both Earth Science and Avalon Organics at a health store- both prices are very reasonable. More recently I’ve been getting into Kibio products (Shoppers Drugmart). I am really liking their Ki-Creme facial moisturizer. Also excited to try their deodorant. I’ve been in search of a good natural deodorant for years now!

Elizabeth
Thursday, November 3/2011 at 8:40 pm

Love Avalon Organics. Really want to check out Kibio – I haven’t seen it before! To the drugstore I go :)

Elizabeth
Thursday, November 3/2011 at 8:42 pm

PS – natural deodorant! I have about 20 in my bathroom that didn’t work. But I’m always up for trying a newbie. Let me know how it works for you, PLEASE!

QuiteLight
Thursday, November 3/2011 at 12:41 pm

Again, gotta rave about From the Meadow (google it), a small, local organic brand. With uber-dry, & abruptly sensitive & allergic skin, I thought my days of good skin were literally over until I tried using their amazing creams. Now it is literally the best it’s ever been. I feel like a fanatic, but the change is that pronounced. And the prices are really great for organic stuff.

I’m also loving my Jason Organic Seaweed shampoo & conditioner. Not unreasonably priced (about $7-8), very gentle & very effective.

Elizabeth
Thursday, November 3/2011 at 8:43 pm

From the Meadow sounds fantastic! Awesome that you’ve gotten such fab results! Their “immune-boosting deodorant” intrigues me…

QuiteLight
Wednesday, November 9/2011 at 12:37 pm

… Man, I haven’t even HEARD of their deodorant yet! Their line has just exploded, they have added new stuff every time I get a flyer! I’ll try it next time I’m due.

& I gotta say, their lip balm has actually knocked my beloved Burt’s Bees into second place! Up there with Dr. Hauschka’s delicious-but-ludicrously-priced balm for me, for BB’s price!

Elizabeth
Tuesday, November 15/2011 at 5:16 pm

Seriously? Knocked Burt’s Bees into 2nd place? (I type as I apply it on my lips.) Hm, this must be tried. And let me know how the deodorant works for you!

lolly
Friday, November 4/2011 at 1:07 am

This has more to do with the DIY face masks but bear with me because it freaked me out and that post was a few months ago. I’ve done honey masks in the past and I’ve always used the cheapy supermarket honey that comes in a squeezy bear bottle, this has worked great for me and my eczema-prone dry skin. Today, I decided to go organic and special and used this expensive, locally-produced-by-mennonites honey and as soon as I put it on my face it started to itch so badly! My face started to get red patches and felt like I had a cat (I’m allergic) make out with me! I quickly washed it off, took an allergy pill, and put some cortisone cream on the patches. It’s completely fine now but I was so surprised because I’m not allergic to honey or bees, I’m guessing the pollen content was higher in this special honey? I’m just wondering if you’ve ever heard of anything like this happening. I just assumed that going organic would have been better for my skin but it bit me in the ass!

Elizabeth
Tuesday, November 15/2011 at 5:22 pm

Interesting (yet awful at the same time)! I haven’t heard of this happening before but I’d assume that it’s due to the pollen or flower nectar… Eating local honey is supposed to be great for people with allergies because it can potentially help boost immunity and reduce allergy symptoms to local plants. But maybe applying it topically was too aggravating. Did you try eating the honey?