I collect hair tips like it’s my job (which it is!), and here are 5 new ones—from the best styling prodz to where to buy hair accessories

Doutzen Kroes hair

I’ve worked at a few fashion and beauty magazines, and at every single one it was common knowledge that HAIR—as in hair tips, hair tutorials, hair products, hair advice—was the most-searched subject on their websites. And for good reason, because if your hair looks like crap then there is really only so much that lipstick can do. (Unless you’re one of those annoying people who gets away with washing only once a week and can scrape your hair back into a ponytail or bun and still look incredible. In which case… I hate you. Just kidding! Sort of.)

Clearly, all of those hair searches on the Interwebs are being made by those of us whose locks need more attention. Since maintaining my own hair is a constant battle, I’ve always got my ears open for intel from ANY hair expert whose path I cross—from celebrity hairstylist (and Schwarzkopf guest artist) Tyler Colton, who I met last week, to my own personal hairdresser Bill Angst. Here are my latest findings!

Tip #1: Shampoo your SCALP, not your ends.

Are you shampooing the ends of your hair? Because you don’t really need to. What you should be doing is focusing on the scalp only. And apparently, many women don’t do this—at least according to Tyler. I blame shampoo commercials, because they’re always depicting women lathering up their entire heads. Like this:

woman shampooing I collect hair tips like its my job (which it is!), and here are 5 new ones—from the best styling prodz to where to buy hair accessories

But really, how dirty are your ends compared to your scalp, which produces oil? And if you’re wasting all that shampoo on the ends of your hair, then how clean are you really getting your scalp? I know it’s a gross subject, but we’ve gotta discuss it. Tyler says he meets so many women who complain that they have to wash their hair every day, and yet when they DO shampoo, they’re not removing oil from their scalps properly. When you focus on the scalp, you’ll get enough of a lather going that letting it run through the lengths will be enough (along with water) to get them clean. Got it?

Also, if you just can’t go without washing your hair every single day—let’s say because your bangs get too greasy—then you can try just shampooing the scalp in that area (or the sides as well) and leaving the rest of your hair dry.

Tip #2: Don’t overuse repair products.

I haven’t been on a regular hair-repair regimen since The Great Platinum Blonde Experiment of 2007, when my hair was in such rough shape that I had to dye it darker and use Redken’s Extreme line to patch up the damage.

But let’s say you’ve got some damage going on. According to Tyler, you can have too much of a good thing if you’re constantly applying heavy-duty hair masques and reparative treatments in hopes of speeding up the process. That’s because you’re creating a thick seal with all of the heavy products and not allowing the good stuff to penetrate—and HELP—the cuticle. (And potentially weighing your hair down too, I might add.)

I think the best way to go if you have serious repair work to do is to use an entire line as directed. Usually the best ones include not just a treatment mask but also a protein spray (like Schwarzkopf’s BC Repair Rescue Amino Fortifier, or Redken’s Extreme CAT).

Redken Extreme CAT I collect hair tips like its my job (which it is!), and here are 5 new ones—from the best styling prodz to where to buy hair accessories

The combo of the protein plus the moisture in the mask really works, as long as you follow package directions and don’t start doubling up on the stuff when you don’t need to. Oh, and if you have fine hair and are just looking for lightweight damage-repair action, check out these prodz.

Tip #3: Mousse, and maybe hairspray too, are the new Moroccanoil.

Yep. I asked Tyler what his favourite styling product of the moment is, and he said it was mousse, hands-down. This confirms how I was already feeling since I discovered Phyto’s (a.k.a. The Greatest Mousse of All Time):

Phyto Pro Intense Volume Mousse I collect hair tips like its my job (which it is!), and here are 5 new ones—from the best styling prodz to where to buy hair accessories

Apparently, Schwarzkopf also makes a good one, but I was more impressed by the smell of their hairspray, to be honest. Tyler says he gets asked about the below product ALL the time. You know how Elnett works great but smells like old ladies? This is so much better:

Schwarzkopf BlondeMe hairspray I collect hair tips like its my job (which it is!), and here are 5 new ones—from the best styling prodz to where to buy hair accessoriesAnyway, the deal with mousse is that anyone can use it (not just the severely volume-challenged). Tyler uses it on everyone to get not just volume at the roots but thickness, control and smoothness through the lengths. Apparently, most of us aren’t using enough—he says to double or triple what you use now and apply it to both roots and lengths.

As for hairspray, that’s my hairdresser Bill’s new favourite styling product. (I think he uses a Redken one.) Most of us grab hairspray as our LAST styling step, but Bill’s been using it on damp hair to get volume at the roots or sprayed through the lengths and then brushed for smoothness. (Celeb hairdresser Danilo, who I owe you a video on soon, does this too.) So—the word on the street is to experiment, people! The prodz you have are probably a lot more versatile than you think.

Oh! And a quick word on Moroccanoil. Tyler says the problem with it, and the oil craze in general, is that ONLY those with thick and frizzy hair should use them. No matter what the brands try to tell you with their “light” versions for fine hair, etc. So… take that for what you will.

Tip #4: Ballet schools are where it’s at for hair accessories.

The last time I went in for a hair cut, Bill gave me some hair accessories to keep (this is why I love him). He got them at the National Ballet School of all places, which I am now declaring the best-kept secret in hair accessories! I can’t believe I didn’t think of this before—dancers need great hair accessories, obviously.

So here’s what I got. These are super-thick, super-strong hair elastics from a brand called Bunheads, which you can buy in the same colour as your hair.

Bunheads hair elastics I collect hair tips like its my job (which it is!), and here are 5 new ones—from the best styling prodz to where to buy hair accessories

And these are Bunheads hair pins that are great for twisting your hair up into an easy top knot (if you don’t feel like going to this much trouble). Mine are in a blonde shade so they blend into my hair well. And they totally stay put!

Bunheads hair pins I collect hair tips like its my job (which it is!), and here are 5 new ones—from the best styling prodz to where to buy hair accessories

If you can’t make it to the store in person, you can buy this stuff online here.

Tip #5: Curl your ends under. (Yeah, I said it!)

You know how every magazine under the sun (and yours truly) has been saying for years now that for “the most modern curl” you need to leave your ends out instead of curling them under?

Well no. Not anymore. I was already starting to gravitate towards curled ends over the past few months, because one of my new go-to hair looks channels this (except longer and without the bangs, so… you know… maybe a totally different hairstyle). But still:

Michelle Pfeiffer Scarface I collect hair tips like its my job (which it is!), and here are 5 new ones—from the best styling prodz to where to buy hair accessories

My point is though that the curled ends thing also applies for hair that’s worn more curly. See, we’re moving from the beachy wave thing (straight ends) to more retro waves (curled under ends). Like I keep saying.

Tyler gave me an incredibly, incredibly awesome ‘do that would’ve looked at home on any red carpet… but alas I forgot to take a photo, so this will have to do for the visual:

Amy Adams 2011 Oscars I collect hair tips like its my job (which it is!), and here are 5 new ones—from the best styling prodz to where to buy hair accessories

Hair like this would look ridic with straight ends, so remember to finish them if you try this at home, kids. (And you totally CAN. If you missed my post on Rowenta’s new waving tool, go read it now! Tyler used a Hot Tools iron that was scarily complicated-looking to achieve my waves, but the Rowenta one is totally easy for us civilians.) Make sure to brush out the curls once you’re done with your heat tool of choice.

Okay, now over to you guys…

Were you already on to these tips or will you try some of them out now?
What’s the best hair tip you’ve ever discovered?
Are you feeling the retro waves and curled-under ends yet?

QuiteLight
Monday, November 7/2011 at 6:21 pm

Hmm… I find the “no oil on fine hair” thing surprising now that I’ve tried it! I was totally sure it would weigh down my fine, thin hair, but instead, my hair is practically drinking it. How dry was it?! I probably use twice what other people would. I can’t say it’s giving me volume, but it is killing the frizz if I use enough.

Now bring on the hair tips! I am desperate for them; my hair is my latest project!

Wednesday, November 9/2011 at 4:58 pm

Yes that’s why I said take that for what you will… I know loads of people are totally fine with it. I haven’t been using mine lately though.

rae
Monday, November 7/2011 at 6:43 pm

i’ve found using the moroccan oil revolutionary for my hair. i have thick stick straight hair, that behaves like it is curly. i have all of the frizz and angst, without the pretty curls. i’d been using a redken leave in that i didn’t love for ages. first time i tried the oil it was like WHERE have you been all my life? Now it’s the only “product” i use on my hair, save for occasional hair spray when i’m trying to achieve some curls with the iron. life changing!

Wednesday, November 9/2011 at 4:58 pm

Awesome! Glad you found your holy grail hair product!

Meeka
Monday, November 7/2011 at 9:28 pm

I don’t generally use oils on my hair as they always seem to make it greasy no matter how little I use (and I do make sure to ONLY use it on the ends). However I have been using Moroccanoil’s Intense Curl Cream on my lengths and ends (again not on the scalp) and my hair sure does love that. The quote in the shampooing section irks me a tiny bit, you see I am cursed with a greasy scalp and dry ends. I have read enough hair care advice over the years that this is not a revolutionary thought, shampoo is for the scalp, conditioner is for the ends, I’m well aware of this. No matter how many tips and tricks I’ve tried for dealing with a greasy scalp (and I’ve tried too many to count) none have actually helped.

Otherwise, I read a few months back (and it may have even been here) something about overusing moisturizing products which made some sense, so I’ve been trying to limit moisturizing and repair products and it seems to be going well. Also, I’ve only recently added hairspray to my routine since I have to tie my hair back for work and I’ve got too many short frizzies. I often spray some on before combing my hair back and it does help. Of course I also top it off with a little bit to finish. I haven’t used it on my ends though and I may have to try combing it through there as well. Oh, and I’m definitely looking into those hair accessories!

Wednesday, November 9/2011 at 5:00 pm

Oh it wasn’t a tip for dealing with a greasy scalp necessarily… just that a lot of people aren’t washing their hair properly to begin with.

(Same with using conditioner – so many put it on their entire heads, when it’s really only meant to go on the bottom 1/3-1/2.)

For the frizz – have you tried the toothbrush trick? http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/07/07/you-know-those-baby-hairs-around-your-forehead-heres-how-to-play-them-up%E2%80%94or-if-you-must-tame-them-into-submission/

Av
Monday, November 7/2011 at 11:14 pm

Hair care is quite simple. If you don’t damage it with dyes and heat tools it will look better. The less you strip it the less damage repair you’ll need to do. Shampooing everyday only encourages oil production and puts you in a painful cycle. Sometimes you have to live with the grease in order to transition into less oil production. That leads to less shampooing and healthier hair.

Monday, November 7/2011 at 11:48 pm

Actually, that’s a myth that you can “train” your hair into producing less oil and becoming “self-cleaning.” I spoke to one of P&G’s beauty scientists about this last month and they’ve studied it extensively… the scalp produces oils at a constant rate.

But yes, I agree with you that colour and heat styling can be damaging.

Denise
Tuesday, November 8/2011 at 8:51 am

I disagree with the beauty scientists. It’s not a myth. Oil is sebum the same as the sebum on your skin, makes sense because your scalp is skin right? So if scientists and beauty peeps agree that harsh cleansers and overcleansing will disrupt the skin’s balance and cause it to overcomensate and produce more oil, why would it be any different for scalp which is skin? Our skin i likes and thinks it needs a layer of oil(sebum). Removing it only causes our skin(including scalp) to react to this “injury” by quickly replacing it. The scientists are correct it’s producing oils at the same rate what you would be training your hair to do is “get used to the oil”. All the people like Quite light( and there are many) who have a “greasy” scalp but dry ends are ideal for this. Hair that is stripped of all oil is dry and unhealthy looking. By shampooing all the time the ends never get a chance to recieve any protecting oil. So by removing it less you give the ends a chance to get a little. It’s spread over the entire strand. Washing everyday removes it, scalp reacts by producing oil, yet doesn’t have a chance to go anywhere because it’s being removed again. If you learn to distribute it better and get through the rough patch you will have healthier shiner hair. And as less shampooing usually goes hand in hand with less heat stying and/or manipulation even better.

I know many many people who’ve come through the salon with stories of how they trained hair to not “need’ washing every day. Hair Models never wash daily and if you still don’t believe me next time you see someone with really great looking gorgeous healthy hair ask them how often they wash. You know all those VS models and celebs with great hair they don’t wash every day. It does take time and is hard to get through but some things that seem to help are dry shampoos, ” blow drying” dry hair. The heat warms the oils so that they can be spread over the strand. Rocking wavy or curly( if your blessed to be able to) or messy, piecey styles, wet look( a little water and gel) pony tails, and updo’s. Another thing is cutting back on conditioning( you will soon have less oils to replace( what a conditioner is) because you’re own are there and serums oils and silicones. Give it a try!

QuiteLight
Wednesday, November 9/2011 at 12:34 pm

I agree with a lot of what you’ve said here, Denise! I actually have very dry hair & skin period, & not a particularly greasy scalp (I think that was Meeka). I am experimenting with how often I clean my hair, with or without shampoo. Right now I am using organic (aka no silicone) conditioner to massage & clean the scalp every day or every other day, depending. My hair gets amazingly clean. I use a gentle shampoo twice a month since I have been messing around with Morrocanoil & don’t want the silicones to build up as I have heard about. But I haven’t seen massive results, it’s just a bit less dry & my dry scalp less irritated. (I don’t have dandruff, at least, with my dry scalp.) Does it have to be natural oils? My hair gets lank & stringy when I don’t clean it at all.

I’ll try the dry blow-dry to distribute the oils next time I leave it a while! I have been having great results using cornstarch as a dry shampoo (on bangs mostly), but I’m blonde, so it doesn’t show, it might look “old lady Halloween costume” on people with darker hair.

Denise
Wednesday, November 9/2011 at 4:06 pm

Oops my bad, I mixed up the names. No way does oil have to be your own. Coconut oil has been proven to actually penetrate the hair shaft my oldest daughters hair loves it. The other one’s hair loves grapeseed. I love jojoba best for hair and skin. Try them all, taking advantage of what’s in your kitchen first. IMO any of these would be better for you that the morrocoan oil. I am not a fan or silicones. I don’t mind the odd one in a great formula but as on the whole I try to avoid. I think natural oils like argan, coconut, and sunflower are a much better choice. You can add essential oils or perfume oils to give them fragrance appeal Vitamins, antioxidants, etc not to mention that they can be removed much easier. Or if you want to treat yourself splurge on a Leonor Greyl Huile oil. I am partial to the magnolia but my sis loves the palm.
I used to be like you with a very dry scalp and what cured that for me was doing an apple cider vinegar rinse diluted after shampooing like those who no, baking soda, and bar shampoo hair. I do a two to one water to acv ratio although lots of people dilute a lot more. Let it sit for a minute and then rinse. No more scalp problems. I’m a big believer in how much ph levels affect our bodies and it makes sense if you think about it. Our scalp and skin secretes an acid mantle to protect telling us acidic levels are ideal. So best bet to follow up very alkiline applications like shampoo is to bring the ph level back down. I wouldn’t dream of ever not doing this cheap easy step. You should try it, let me know if it works out!

Wednesday, November 9/2011 at 5:11 pm

Oh and I second the ACV reco! I don’t use it as a shampoo but instead of conditioner. I always get the Rene Furterer rinse after I get my colour done.

Wednesday, November 9/2011 at 5:09 pm

That’s a good point about the comparison to stripping your skin and causing it to overproduce oils. I’ll flag that for a future post… I still don’t know who to believe. I definitely agree with you that loads of people have had success with washing their hair less. However my feeling is that this is realistically only a solution for those with curly/thick hair, which hides oily well anyway. Have you ever found an example of someone with fine and straight hair whose scalp “adjusted”? I personally could never put my life on hold for that long to go around with greasy gross hair.

Denise
Thursday, November 10/2011 at 10:41 am

Oh don’t let my icon fool you on a 1 to 10 straight to curly level I’m at most a 2. My hair is not coarse at all though I wouldn’t call it fine as I have a massive amount of it. Like I said I shampoo once a week, my sister who is probably a 6 or 7 on that same scale has never been able to get past twice a week. My sister in law who has fine straight hair is up to every 3 days. I don’t think it has to be drastic”putting your life on hold” process. If you want to try it just start off with an every other day goal. This shouldn’t be too difficult, second day hair is ideal for braids, updo’s, ponys, and the side knot you love, Pineappling( a scrunchy holding a loose pony on the top of your head- far from sexy but great volume), also this is what works for me and I really can’t explain why- NOT combing or brushing my hair after a shampoo. After my ACV ( I use in place of conditioner too) and towel blotting I just use a very wide tooth comb and my fingers to style. You know Sienna’s style you love I’d bet that is “dirty” hair. done the same way. No way is she doing a lot of shampooing with those extensions.
Back to the transition, just leave it at every other day for how ever long. Hopefully after a while one day it will be a shampoo day and you’ll look at your hair and think it doesn’t really need it. Then you’ll be up to three days for a period. Then maybe twice a week. That may be as far you’ll ever go.
OR maybe you won’t. Freshly shampooed pretty smelling( you said it there, only negative for me is missing that( I get by with hair colognes) hair trumps all for you. With all the experts, scientists friends giving us suggestions along with our budget, lifestyles, preferences competing we all have to just buy, try, find what works for us. And like I said there are always exceptions to prove rules. I have dry skin am told every where that I should use creamy or extra gentle cleansers. But I always have and always will be a soap( my own cold process with extra moisture) soap girl. I don’t care what the experts say not only do I find it physically best for me, a formula of 20 chemicals can’t be better than saponified coconut, olive, shea butter, and castor oil to me. I do not like instant hair conditioners on my hair. I do love Infusium 23 leave in which has a silicone( Amodimethicone king of silicones only attaches to damaged areas) when normally I avoid them. I also dont’ wear SPF daily. Don’t believe those few minutes are dangerous for me. AND the chemicals only block part of the rays, I’d rather avoid all those chemicals in the formulas. That’s what I kind of love about hair and beauty. the diversity and contradictions of it all…. The hunt of discovering new routines and products and comparing with others is a big part of why we’re all here on this beauty blog.

QuiteLight
Thursday, November 10/2011 at 1:09 pm

Michelle, I have the same problem with the oil showing. Cleaning with conditioner totally handles this for me, as a kind of middle ground. Denise has convinced me to try stretching even those cleanings a bit longer… I’ll try to report back.

Oh, & thanks for the ACV recommendation, both of you! I wasn’t sure how that was done! Since I don’t shampoo often, after my conditioner-cleanse?

(The reply button is missing after Denise’s last post & your response… weird!)

Jane
Tuesday, November 8/2011 at 10:54 am

The whole “training” hair or skin into producing more or less oil is such hooey. It is so much about culture, perception and what the individual feels comfortable with. North American culture is clean-obsessed for whatever reason, but if you can get used to shampooing every 3 or 4 days you realize how silly you were before. Things like Batiste can be life changing if you feel like your roots are oily. Long hair should only be shampooed at the scalp. You squeeze the shampoo through the length as you rinse it.

The recent obsession with straight smooth hair has created a silicone culture- hair that is weighed down and may “look” smooth but that in the end will just get drier and drier. Moroccan Oil will work- for a little while. But it is predominantly silicone. Give yourself protein treatments like K-Pak or Aphogee once a month or so, use a quality silicone free conditioner (like Terax Crema or Biotherm Conditioning Balm) in the shower AND as a leave in to help dry ends. Trim those dry ends every 6 weeks at minimum. Common hair sense.

My name is Jane and I am a Hair Obsessive ;)

Wednesday, November 9/2011 at 5:15 pm

Great advice Jane! I’m still going to look into the “no poo” oil thing as it seems to be a hot button issue! But yeah, I totally agree about dry shampoo if you can get away with it, as well as how to wash long hair.

I LOVE Terax Crema, it’s such an awesome conditioner. I just rediscovered an old jar so I’m using it right now!

Thomas
Tuesday, November 8/2011 at 11:38 am

I totally agree with the thing about over-using hair treats… As well as the points you mentioned, your hair can actually get used to the same product, plus too much intensive conditioner can make hair SO GREASY. I haven’t found the moroccan oil yet, I’ve been looking everywhere!!! It MUST be available in Boots SOMEWHERE. I must admit though, I don’t think I’m using mousse properly because whenever I use it my hair goes CRISPY.

Huge fan, hyper-hair-colour-aware Thomas xx

Denise
Tuesday, November 8/2011 at 1:08 pm

RE the crispiness- have your tried a moisturizing mousse or even better cocktailing your hair products? Ever noticed in the salon stylists will mix two or more products together? If you use a smoothing cream or serum or even a leave in condish, try mixing it with the mousse.
The crispys’ come from product gathering and filling in where it can. Older less healthy ends of hair aren’t as smooth so these areas will hog more of the product with their holes and uneven patches. Cocktailing a holding product like mousse or gel with a smoothing product that’s made to fill in these holes helps a lot.

Thomas
Tuesday, November 8/2011 at 1:25 pm

Wow, thanks! And you were right by the way, the bleaching, colouring, rebleaching, rebleaching again, colouring, then colouring AGAIN have certainly not proved to be a friend to my hair. I totally get what you mean, tbh I only used the mouse when I wanted to make my hair wavy, a la Alex Pettyfer, but now that its shorter (and I know what to do) I can finally use it for proper styling! Thanks again :D xx

Denise
Tuesday, November 8/2011 at 1:00 pm

I agree with Jane, silcone based serums like Morroccan oil should be approached with caution. What they do is coat the hair giving it a smooth, frizz-free appearance and locking in a little moisture WELL, in fact they coat it so well gentle shampoos can’t always remove them. Therein lies the problem, harsher shampoos are needed or they just build up and actually lock moisture out. So they are very effective for those benefit, but one needs to work on the correct balance of products.
Thomas, I know you color treat and may have damage and dryness because of that but keep in mind that your hair is short and fairly straight. The smallest amount of a lighter serum like Morrocoan oil light would be the most you need. Anything more would require a harsher shampoo which would not be good for your color. And if you already use a silicone serum the morrocoan brand won’t be that different. I’d really rather hope you’d try the argan oil( the other main ingredient besides silicone in the MO serums) straight if you can come by that.
To Jane( last daughter name choosing was a toss up between Jane and Alana-hubby was all about Alana so it won, but I still love the name Jane) and all those using protein treatments I’d advise caution as well. While these are superior at rebuilding the protein bonds on damaged, split or fraying ends and chemically abused hair, they won’t impart moisture at all. Quite the opposite actually. Again very effective for those that need, but your average dry hair they won’t do much good. Truly dry hair needs moisture. Look for prodz( shout out to my girl Michelle-hollaaa) that have humectants and serious moisturizers.
Also I think what you call getting used to and training are basically the same regarding shampoo frequency. It’s not about the scalp producing less oil, it’s about training yourself. Yes your scalp will produce sebum at the roots every day esp in response to removal. Training is about getting used to and working with that instead of fighting against it.

Lisa
Tuesday, November 8/2011 at 3:08 pm

I have to comment on all this training talk. I’ve been washing my hair only 1 or 2 times per week for many many years now, and I still have pretty oily hair. I also have an oily complexion, so I’m pretty sure the two go hand in hand! Perhaps if I washed my hair more often, it would get even more oily, but I have to say that by me not washing often, it’s not like I’ve trained my hair to not produce excess oil! I’m the queen of ponytails for 99% of the time! :)

Quick tip for those who get greasy hair like me- Cake Beauty Hair Powder is super great! It comes in 2 shades- light and dark. When I want to look a little less greasy, and add a bit of body to my flat oily head, lol, I really like the brunettes shade of this powder. It doesn’t make my brown hair look grey-ish like some other white hair powders! Plus it’s paraben free. I highly recommend it!

Denise
Wednesday, November 9/2011 at 8:38 am

Lisa,
I have pretty normal to dry hair and skin have been shampooing once a week for many years now. The oil production has never decreased, sometimes the day before shampoo is worse than others in terms of greasies though. What has happened is I’m not chained to HAVING to wash, condition, blow or air dry and style. Less shampooing, less heat, less manipulation, and my hair spends a lot more time protected by my natural acid mantle( the sebum your skin secretes to protect itself). All of this equals HEALTHIER hair, and more sleep :)
I’m sure your hair much healthier right now than if you’d shampooed, etc every day for all those years. The fact that you’ve gotten to where you can without shampooing daily makes you a success story. This is why it’s recommended, not to control the oil.

Denise
Wednesday, November 9/2011 at 8:50 am

To everyone
No matter what the hair care company’s tell you( they are in the business of selling products, remember) think of it like this if you think shampooing daily is good for your hair. There is saying to treat your hair like silk. Imagine two silk scarfs. One is washed every day yes using high quality fabric appro detergent and fabric softener. Then tossed in the dryer until dry. In some cases then ironed. The second is one is only subjected to this once or twice a week. At the end of the two years( the average age of a strand of shoulder length hair) Which scarf do you think will be in better condition?

jenny
Tuesday, November 8/2011 at 4:54 pm

the best thing i ever did for my hair was stop washing it. it looks amazing, and i hardly have to put any product on it at all anymore except condition. but the only problem with this is when i start dating a guy, and he goes to run his hands through it, and i have to explain why my amazing looking hair actually feels like oily rubber. LOL.

Wednesday, November 9/2011 at 5:19 pm

Haha! And that is the biggest reason why I wash mine every day or every other day. :-)
Plus freshly-shampooed hair just smells pretty. And never once has my hair looked better with less washing… I guess I’ll just suffer the future consequences of treating it like a crappy scarf instead of a silk one :-)

alyssa
Tuesday, November 8/2011 at 7:51 pm

I avoid using silicone-based hair products. I’ve had such dry hair and a bad scalp my whole life, plus now it is color-treated. At first I loved Morroccan Oil but after a month or so of use I found I needed so much to calm my frizz. Long story short, I eliminated all silicones from my hair regimen and my hair is quite lovely now. I use a tiny bit of oil in my hair and it makes it lovely, but my hair is pretty thick.

Wednesday, November 9/2011 at 5:20 pm

That’s interesting! I’ve never heard that before that it could make your hair more frizzy… hmmm. Okay, now I need to do a silicone investigation as well!

Sarah
Wednesday, November 9/2011 at 9:51 pm

Hi Michelle,

Anything you’d recommend for static? I have fine, straight hair and the change in temperature has made it crazy staticky! It’s driving me nuts! I’m worried that I’m doing exactly what you’ve said not to do, which is overload on products. I am drenching it with conditioner, putting on serums, creams, etc. before and after blow drying…nothing is working! I need help!

Nisha
Friday, November 11/2011 at 2:53 pm

HI Michelle,

Which store or online store can I find the phyto mousse that you recommended? I live in Missisauga but I work in Toronto.

I love reading your recommendations on beauty products and so far have been taking cod liver oil and bought the cover fx primer. I’m sasgirl5 on twitter, I tweeted you about 2 weeks ago. :)

Denise
Monday, November 14/2011 at 10:09 am

QuiteLight – the reply is missing after you comment too so I hope you see this. I’m really happy you’re gonna give it a go. Please do report back.
As far as the ACV yes I’d do it after a cowash as well as a traditional shampoo. In addition to calming your scalp and by bringing the ph level down, your scalp won’t have to work as hard to restore acidic levels may possible help with controlling grease.
Also like I said earlier maybe you want to try pineappling your hair at night. Helps with maintaning volume and bedhead..
Good Luck! :;)

QuiteLight
Tuesday, February 28/2012 at 9:37 pm

Denise, thanks for all the tips! Report; love the ACV, thanks for that! Still figuring out the rate of washing. Every other day, OK, degreasing the bangs (which lie in my moisturizers all day & night) with dry shampoo, as long as I wear it up. This is probably in a large part due to the natural leave-in conditioners, which are all argan oil based. Day 1, great. Day 2, lank. Suggestions for natural leave-ins? My hair just looks bent when pineappled.

One thing I’m loving on weekends; reverse washing, a la No More Dirty Looks book. Deep conditioning with almond oil (overnight if I can), then conditioning (massaging into scalp, like when I wash with conditioner), THEN shampooing (gentle, organic). This seemed crazy, but I figured, worse thing would be I needed to wash again, or use a lot of conditioner. It felt clean, conditioned, AWESOME. I am still kind of surprised.

TeeLove
Tuesday, November 15/2011 at 11:19 am

It’s totally true about the moroccanoil not quite living up to its claims… For the very first few times using it my hair drank it up. After some time of regular use it did something not-so-nice to my hair… dried it out, created more flyaways, did NOT continue to enhance manageability in the way I would expect for $40 a pop… just not the same effect anymore! Which corresponds to some reviews I’ve read that moroccanoil can create buildup, and actually dryout your hair over time! BOO! Altho I will still apply some of this delicious smelling liquid if only for the fragrance, no hair oil on this earth can compare to Eli’s Organic Shea Oil which is made of (only!) coconut oil, shea oil, tea tree oil, jojoba oil, mango w/ papaya oil, & vegetable glycerine. It fixed any frizzies leftover from moroccanoil, in like 1 use. Squeeze a few drops of this stuff at night on a cotton pad and rub over face — the a.m. result is marvelous. NOTHING BEATS ORGANIC AND NATURAL, EVERYDAY!!