American Music Awards ’11: Taylor Swift tames her curls, Jennifer Hudson wows with fuchsia and Jennifer Morrison has my new favourite hairstyle

Jennifer Morrison - 2011 American Music Awards

So… how about that dance number by Jennifer Lopez last night? Woof, girl. (Although I was maybe just slightly uncomfortable with all the stripping and grinding.) But seriously, it’s hard to believe she’s 42 years old. And she’s STILL holding her own against youngins like Taylor Swift and Katy Perry.

That said, J. Lo’s more likely to stick with a classic look (this time, scraped-back hair with nude makeup and a wonderful peach lip) than push the boundaries with a Katy Perry-style hair colour or Jennifer Hudson-style lipstick. But that’s why this year’s AMAs were a pleasing mix of beauty looks: there was the experimental, the classic and the just plain gorgeous. Let’s review!

Hooray! Taylor Swift straightened her hair

Taylor Swift 2011 American Music Awards American Music Awards 11: Taylor Swift tames her curls, Jennifer Hudson wows with fuchsia and Jennifer Morrison has my new favourite hairstyle

This is fabulous for two reasons: a) the curls are gone, and b) the heavy makeup is gone. Wowza—I’m pinching myself!

But let’s talk about this. I’m not anti-curly hair… however, it CAN be overwhelming at times, whereas the straight look helps to show off Taylor’s delicate features. Especially those lashes! I’m not a huge fan of obviously false ones, but even I have to admit these do look pretty. I’m loving that the rest of the makeup was basically bare, save some peachy blush. I wish we’d see this type of thing on her more often.

Heidi Klum demos a great texture option for mid-length hair

Heidi Klum 2011 American Music Awards American Music Awards 11: Taylor Swift tames her curls, Jennifer Hudson wows with fuchsia and Jennifer Morrison has my new favourite hairstyle

I was loving this hair look as soon as I tuned in last night—it’s SO modern and SO unlike those boring flippy waves that I always hate on. Here is where I give another shout-out to the Rowenta Versa Style, which will absolutely help you to get something pretty similar at home (and without too much of a headache).

Despite the hair (and the makeup) Katy Perry looks kinda cute here

Katy Perry 2011 American Music Awards American Music Awards 11: Taylor Swift tames her curls, Jennifer Hudson wows with fuchsia and Jennifer Morrison has my new favourite hairstyle

Right? It’s kind of adorable in a futuristic, Jetsons kind of way. Not that I’m advocating this for the street, mind you. And I REALLY hope she ditches this lavender or whatever colour it’s supposed to be soon. I won’t even talk about the makeup, because when your hair is that colour a natural look is probably the furthest thing from your mind.

Jennifer Hudson wears the shiz out of a fuchsia lipstick

Jennifer Hudson 2011 American Music Awards American Music Awards 11: Taylor Swift tames her curls, Jennifer Hudson wows with fuchsia and Jennifer Morrison has my new favourite hairstyle

Sooo good. How can you not get happy just from looking at that smile? This has gotta be her Life Lip Colour. (Remember, we saw it here too?) I really like how she’s paired it with that hint of silvery shimmer on the eyelids.

The hair, too, has some interest. What do you think of those lighter pieces in the under-layers? I dig ‘em.

I must find a peach lipstick to copy Jennifer Lopez

Jennifer Lopez 2011 American Music Awards American Music Awards 11: Taylor Swift tames her curls, Jennifer Hudson wows with fuchsia and Jennifer Morrison has my new favourite hairstyle

Okay, so as much as I’m a fan of what Jennifer Hudson was doing last night, I’m an even bigger fan of whatever product is gracing the lips of J. Lo here. Isn’t it to die for? It kind of reminds me of the Nina Ricci shade that we collectively went gaga for in the spring. Except, you know. More peach.

As for her skin, well, I’ve got to take up dancing again too. Look at what it does for you in terms of dewiness.

Check out the hairstyle I’m currently coveting on Jennifer Morrison

Jennifer Morrison 2011 American Music Awards American Music Awards 11: Taylor Swift tames her curls, Jennifer Hudson wows with fuchsia and Jennifer Morrison has my new favourite hairstyle

Isn’t this breathtaking? I want it and I want it NOW. I’ve always had a thing for unapologetically big, bouncy waves—kinda like Elle Woods in Legally Blonde—but the braided bit sort of tames them so they’re not too OTT. (It’s also a great way to disguise bangs you’re growing out.) The end result was very fairytale princess with a boho twist… especially with that white dress (which I’m coveting too).

With this kind of look you wouldn’t want to introduce anything bold in the makeup, so I definitely approve of the soft berry lip gloss, natural blush and subtle eyeliner on the top lid.

Alanis Morrissette, I’m not sure what’s going on with your fishtail braid

Alanis Morissette 2011 American Music Awards American Music Awards 11: Taylor Swift tames her curls, Jennifer Hudson wows with fuchsia and Jennifer Morrison has my new favourite hairstyle

Oh dear. This could have looked SO amazing… but instead, the execution was all off. I like the idea of looseness around the face, but to then morph into a super-tight fishtail starting at the collarbone is plain weird. Frankly, it looks like a DIY job. I would’ve also liked to see Alanis with softer, more modern makeup—say, a smoky eye and a nude lip? I’m just feeling like this look is a little ’90s… which, come to think of it, was the last time I saw this chick.

Something continues to be off about Katherine Heigl

Katherine Heigl 2011 American Music Awards American Music Awards 11: Taylor Swift tames her curls, Jennifer Hudson wows with fuchsia and Jennifer Morrison has my new favourite hairstyle

What is it? Is it the hair colour? The makeup? Or is it just the nervous, “is my career in Hollywood over” expression that’s throwing me off? Like I keep saying, something’s up with Katherine and it’s sapping her beauty. For starters, I would urge her to grow out her hair to collarbone-length and consider trading in the platinum for a honey or strawberry blonde.

Also: were her boobies always this big or did she get something done down there?

Don’t hate me for saying this, but Audrina Patridge looks kind of good here

Audrina Patridge 2011 American Music Awards American Music Awards 11: Taylor Swift tames her curls, Jennifer Hudson wows with fuchsia and Jennifer Morrison has my new favourite hairstyle

You know that part in Mean Girls—”stop trying to make fetch happen”? This is what I think of when I see Audrina. And yet, I’ve got to give the girl props for this unexpectedly pretty vintage beauty look. The bolt-on chest kind of ruins it, but everything above that is a pretty impressive execution. Or maybe it’s just that I jump for joy every time I see a celeb who has decided to ditch those cookie-cutter curls.

Sports Illustrated swimsuit model Anne Vyalitsyna does amazing things with eyeliner

Anne Vyalitsyna 2011 American Music Awards American Music Awards 11: Taylor Swift tames her curls, Jennifer Hudson wows with fuchsia and Jennifer Morrison has my new favourite hairstyle

Now THIS is how you tightline, folks. Yes, she’s a model, and therefore will automatically look 100 times better than you or I ever will—but I think this is a great example of how a simple eyeliner technique can dress up your look. Notice how it’s all the way around the eyes, and then the lids (and the entire rest of the face, in fact) are bare.

I love her hair too. Even though I’m growing mine out, I’ll always have a soft spot for those long angled bangs.

Jenny McCarthy is scaring me

Jenny McCarthy 2011 American Music Awards American Music Awards 11: Taylor Swift tames her curls, Jennifer Hudson wows with fuchsia and Jennifer Morrison has my new favourite hairstyle

It’s the hair and the lipstick, mainly. Oh, and her facial expression. But in terms of what can be helped—this is a perfect example of why my platinum blonde hair experiment of 2006 was rather short-lived. The re-growth is just ug. At least in my case, I didn’t attempt to wear it with a lip colour like this one. With the hair and the eye makeup, it’s just way too dark and unflattering.

Tell me:

Did you watch the American Music Awards?
Which celeb(s) do you think looked the best?
Do you have any advice for the other peeps?

Abigail
Monday, November 21/2011 at 12:42 pm

Gotta agree with you. Audrina Patridge was smoking’ last night!

Lindsay
Monday, November 21/2011 at 12:51 pm

Love Jennifer Morrison’s hair. It makes me miss long hair. And the other Jennifer also looked stunning.

thechicstorm
Monday, November 21/2011 at 1:04 pm

You’re such an anti-curlite

Melissa C
Monday, November 21/2011 at 1:04 pm

I tried to focus on the hair and make-up aspect of these photos but kept getting distracted by the look in everyone’s eyes, which is exceptionally freaky. Apart from Jennifer (Morrison) and Taylor, who both look friendly and pretty normal.

Thomas
Monday, November 21/2011 at 1:16 pm

Wow, this was a really good event for beauty!! I must admit though, however good Taylor looks, I was surprised when you said you were OK with the eyelashes – they are the most spider-like lashes I have ever seen, long, sparse in number and weirdly thin! Heidi Klum is kind of a mixed bag for me… Don’t get me wrong here, she still’s beautiful and looks amazing for her age (38!!!), but I’m just gonna say it; she’s starting to look really ordinary. I mean really, is it just me or has she sort of lost that show-stopping quality? Maybe it is just me. I really love Katy Perry here. Its just a shame that the picture was taking while she was having some sort of involuntary eye twitch – but apart from that, she looks striking, and GOOD to me! J-Hud, stunning voice = stunning beauty in her case! LOVING the new hair, its more dimensional and fun! J-Lo looks like she’s about to faint. Jennifer Morrison… one of those faces that I always think I know, but don’t. Anyway, the hair is an exact copy of Jennifer Aniston circa Golden Globes ’09, and while I love it, it really does highlight bad roots – I’ll never understand why celebs don’t cover these things e.g. roots, highlights etc right before an event. It remains a mystery wrapped in an enigma. Who on earth is Alanis Morrissette??? I totally agree about Katherine!! Its weird, she’s pretty here, but somethings different. I think she’s put on weight, but not in a bad way, she just looks more curvy, although the FIRST thing I noticed was her eyebrows. I don’t know, the colour just seems kinda off to me. If it wasn’t for the freaky concealer, I would LOVE Audrina Partridge in this photo. Love. And finally, Jenny McCarthy is doing her best impression of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang’s child snatcher here. Nuff sed.

Huge fan, hyper-hair-colour-aware Thomas xx

Phil
Monday, November 21/2011 at 1:59 pm

Ow wauw.. something is off with that lavender haircolor Katy is sporting, and she needs to ditch it right now! Somehow reminds me of ‘aqua’ where that lead singer had barbie pink hair.
Jenny McCarthy gives me a true blood pam vibe here, but more plasticy :D
Katherine Heighl’s body is cooltoned pink? While her face is peachy orange and dark colored at the hairline (growout?). Makes her eyes get a yellow dull tint..

Guess they all try sometimes but fail a bit

Magda
Tuesday, November 22/2011 at 10:33 pm

Yes!!!!! You’ve hit the nail on the head about Katherine! It’s the skin tone! Also, the eyebrows look brassy bleached…ugh!

Marina(Makeup4All)
Monday, November 21/2011 at 4:16 pm

Love reading these posts Michelle, thanks :)

Jody
Monday, November 21/2011 at 4:19 pm

Taylor Swift finally wipes off that red lipstick! It’s nice to see something different on her for a change.

Emma
Monday, November 21/2011 at 5:52 pm

I loved Taylor’s look last night, love it when she straightens her hair! And Jeniffer’s hair is fantastic, such an easy look to achieve…and now that we’re heading for summer (here in Australia) this is such a great beachy look!

Jenna
Wednesday, November 23/2011 at 3:58 am

I know, its a great summer look isn’t it! Totally wearing it for the next 4 months!

Liz Stanley
Monday, November 21/2011 at 11:25 pm

No one’s roots are as bad as Heidi Klum’s! They look black! Also her eye makeup does NOT suit her! And jlo went crazy with the highlighter.

Samantha
Tuesday, November 22/2011 at 1:56 am

Wow i totally disagree about audrina. I’ve never seen her makeup look that bad! Her foundation doesn’t match the skin on her neck and the concealer around her eyes looks almost silver. She is a beautiful girl but whoever did her makeup did a horrible job! I agree that something looks off with Katherine Heigl, her skin looks yellowy or something…and yes her boobies have always been big. I think J-Lo looks sweaty not dewy, like she just got finished dancing on stage. Jennifer Hudson looks the best out of all these pics to me.

B
Tuesday, November 22/2011 at 11:15 am

For J Lo’s lip color try YSL Rouge Volupte in #26 Tender Peach and #13 Peach Passion (lipsticks tend to show up differently on different skin tones and different natural lip colors so I’d suggest trying both)

Brittany
Tuesday, November 22/2011 at 12:24 pm

I saw this 60 Minutes thing (randomly) on Taylor the other day and it seems her hair is not as naturally curly as it appears? Sort of weird as they had all these old photos and videos of her and her hair was definitely not what it ‘normally’ looks like now. Maybe she got a perm (ha!) or maybe she just has amazing stylists to make it her signature look now, but it’s funny when her straight her gets so much attention :)

Marlys
Tuesday, November 22/2011 at 5:37 pm

Hey! I like your blog!
Regarding this post, I liked some of the looks but especially I think I like crazy and unusual hair color, but I had preferred katy perry if she had dyed it pastel pink. It’s so much bettter!

Meeka
Tuesday, November 22/2011 at 10:38 pm

That picture of Katy Perry cracks me up. I actually think she looked gorgeous (I even loved her dress, though I’m not sold on the hair color) but this shot in particular, that crazy eye twitch and uber smile, kind of make her look a little cuckoo. I love hearing good things about Heidi’s hair here as it’s pretty much my natural texture. I think her eye makeup is a little overwhelming though. JHud looks fabulous, I love the hair too. I think Jennifer Morrison also looks fantastic here.

Jenna
Wednesday, November 23/2011 at 4:02 am

I love Taylor’s hair, the slight braid then hair looped around the band in her side pony, coupled with the straight is perhaps her best hair ever. Jennifer Morrison is gorgeous, and her hair so cool! Jenny McCarthy and Katy Perry both scare me. Hoping I don’t look at those pictures again!

Kharina
Wednesday, November 23/2011 at 4:33 pm

Totally agree with Taylor’s looks, although I am anti those lashes – I think they actually accentuate how small her eyes are (teeny weeny eyes!!) I don’t know why they insist on full coverage foundation on her – is she green underneath it all? Heigl’s issue is that they always manage to make her look older than she is – that hair colour is flat, flat, flat. Like her make up. She needs a little something that Charlize Theron has, although (she has blue eyes, she is a blonde Heigl needs to take notes of).