This week in beauty: Snooki exfoliates with cat litter, Emily Blunt’s latest role… and would you sell your house for plastic surgery?

Emily Blunt  for YSL Opium

The last half of November is fun times for a beauty ed. I used to think September was the busiest month—what with TIFF and the Fashion Weeks and all the fall launches—but this time of year is shaping up to be almost as crazy. (Maybe it’s because—oh yeah!—I DO have actual writing deadlines that I have to take care of for February and March issues… as much as it would be nice to just swan about to press previews all day long. I often say that this would be the ultimate career if you didn’t have to, you know, write anything.)

Anyway, here’s a peek into not only what I’ve been up to lately but the goings-on in the beauty world in general. And no, I really wasn’t kidding about the cat litter.

… So when I said I was pro-exfoliation the other day, I didn’t mean THIS.

Really, you just need to watch this clip. (And I assume you read this post?)

You’ve gotta hand it to her… this chick just doesn’t STOP. The transcript:

Conan: “I don’t understand. I’ve never even heard of this. You take cat litter and you just mush it up against your face? Do you just stick your face in the box?”
Snooki: “No! Some exfoliants they have, like, rocks in them and it makes your skin, like, really smooth and cat litter is, like, a substitute for that.”
Conan: “Yeah but isn’t cat litter like a strong chemical of some kind? I mean, wouldn’t you use any other kind of rock? I just can’t believe this…have you tried this yourself?”
Snooki: “Yeah. I mean I haven’t broken out at all yet so…”
Conan: Well I guess that’s good enough for the FDA!
Snooki: Yeah, I think it works.

Anyone feel like trying this and reporting back? (I’m kidding! I love you guys.)

… Emily Blunt has been busy working on a new YSL Opium ad (the first in 10 years!).

Do we like Emily Blunt? I’m not sure. I know I like her husband. Anyway, she’s the new face of Opium fragrance and this is a little teaser of the ad to come:

I’ve also got some behind-the-scenes footage of her talking about what fragrance means to her…

Are you an Opium fan? Are you buying what she’s selling?

… Meanwhile, this woman paid nearly $50,000 for plastic surgery.

And now she lives in a mobile home instead of the three-bedroom semi-detached that she sold to get the surgery done. Here’s the before (this story is via the Daily Mail… but of course):

Jayne Fenney before This week in beauty: Snooki exfoliates with cat litter, Emily Blunts latest role... and would you sell your house for plastic surgery?And here’s the after (post-full body lift, arm lift, breast lift and thigh lift):

Jayne Fenney after This week in beauty: Snooki exfoliates with cat litter, Emily Blunts latest role... and would you sell your house for plastic surgery?

I’m kind of torn about this one. Obviously I’m COMPLETELY vain (that’s what working in this industry does to a girl). But I just don’t know if I’d be okay with having a great (ish) figure but living here:

Jayne Fenney mobile home This week in beauty: Snooki exfoliates with cat litter, Emily Blunts latest role... and would you sell your house for plastic surgery?

Would you?

… On the subject of peach nail polishes, Essie > Chanel.

So you know how peach nail polish is gonna be big for spring ’12? Well, the samples have started to arrive so I’m already diving into the trend. I really did think that Chanel June (the middle one below) was The One:

Chanel spring 2012 nail polish This week in beauty: Snooki exfoliates with cat litter, Emily Blunts latest role... and would you sell your house for plastic surgery?

But as it turns out, it really is more of a tangerine-toned peach. Heavy on the orange (too heavy for my taste). Instead, I’m really, REALLY loving Essie’s A Crewed Interest (top row, middle):

Essie Spring 2012 collection This week in beauty: Snooki exfoliates with cat litter, Emily Blunts latest role... and would you sell your house for plastic surgery?

It’s a lot more wearable for those of us who are a bit more conservative (and cool skin-toned) for true oranges. I love that it’s as pale as a pink but different enough to be fashion-forward.

… The most exciting news is that I just discovered a website that lists celebrities’ signature fragrances!

So you know how I said I was really busy this week? Well, sometimes—and anyone who writes for a living will understand this—you have to get in a solid hour of mindless Googling to settle down and “get into the zone” before the work actually begins. (Other days, I decide it’s a good time to bake cookies.)

Anyway, my procrastination method of choice this week was hopping over to this website, which has a kick-ass list of dozens of celebrities and their favourite scents. If you’re not one for mainstream scents, you’ll love scrolling through this list because the celebs are all about the niche scents. I especially loved seeing my beloved Child listed there…

Child perfume This week in beauty: Snooki exfoliates with cat litter, Emily Blunts latest role... and would you sell your house for plastic surgery?

… Although I hope it doesn’t become TOO mainstream. (It’s hard to find, so I don’t think so.)

Lately, I’m having a real soapy-scent moment and have started wearing J. Lo Glow again (DO NOT JUDGE—men love it)… but I’m on the hunt for something a bit more unique. And thanks to this website, I think I just figured out what that’s going to be.

Tell me:

Have you ever heard of (or tried?) exfoliating with cat litter?
If your body looked like that UK woman, would you trade your home for plastic surgery?
Do you have a favourite hard-to-find niche fragrance?

Thomas
Friday, November 25/2011 at 3:39 pm

Oh dear lord Jesus, I’m actually starting to LIKE SNOOKI. As for the kitty litter thing, if you get the pure unscented stuff, its basically pure bentonite clay which is AMAZING for drawing out impurities but a bit drying, so as long as you use a great moisturiser afterwards this stuff is AMAZING (trust me, I’ve tried it) and looki here (pun intended), ma gurl Michelle Phan was the one who made me discover it! http://goo.gl/MNurV Another great mask she does is an aspirin mask, again I can personally vouch for it and it seriously rocks.

Moving on.

EMILY BLUNT IS HOT. I mean seriously!!!! Look at her in this video and the picture!! I love her (go Brits!!) and I can’t think of someone better suited to a designer fragrance campaign. As for the crazy old lady, I don’t think I need even say anything. Pure madness. And you know what? There is a point when whatever body you have, a one piece is so much more appropriate and classy. She’ll get there soon enough.

Huge fan, hyper-hair-colour-aware Thomas xx

jenny
Friday, November 25/2011 at 5:38 pm

well if michelle phan does it, now i HAVE to try it. here kitty,kitty…..

Evelyn
Friday, November 25/2011 at 3:57 pm

I have three cats and while I mostly use wood pellet litter I sometimes buy one that’s made of kaolin which as we all know is the ingredient used in mud masks so I’m presuming that she’s using the latter to exfoliate with. I don’t find it shocking because before it’s ‘used’ (!) it’s as clean as anything else you would put on your face! It’s just a pity that she didn’t mention that in the interview because the poor girl is opening herself up to a lot of ridicule by telling people she puts cat litter on her face!

shelby
Friday, November 25/2011 at 4:57 pm

Good lord, when it comes to snooki, there are no words. People from other countries must see our north american t.v shows with “people” such as snooki and wonder what the eff is going on over here

Elaine R
Friday, November 25/2011 at 5:05 pm

Emily Blunt is super hot. Plus I loved her when she was in devil wears prada.

blog-a-beaute
Friday, November 25/2011 at 5:09 pm

OH MY GOD! You may not believe this but Cat Litter can actually be used as a face product! I’m not even kidding! Okay I haven’t tried it myself and I wasn’t planning to either but I read it on a blog.

Basically, you can use cat litter as a MASK if it’s 100% clay (which most good quality cat litter is anyway).

Clay is apparantly supposed to draw all the impurities out of your skin and is found in a lot of acne/blackhead clearing masks!!

Jane
Friday, November 25/2011 at 5:42 pm

Snooki. No words.

Ok, the Essies? WANT! That orange sherbet colour is adorbz! Love.

I have a serious perfume problem…I adore Glow (she basically copied China Rain Musk) and I have recently found a softer, gentler Glow in the niche-y “CB I Hate Perfume My Beautiful Laundrette”. It is a beauty & I bet you would adore. I bet you would also like Keiko Mecheri Jasmine, one of my favourite jasmines ever. And Abdul Kareem Musk Oil- from a NYC street vendor, and it was Carolyn Bessette Kennedy’s perfume…allegedly inspired Narciso Rodrigez to create his “For Her” scent. I could go on…an on…. ;)

Alicia
Friday, November 25/2011 at 10:25 pm

This isn’t the first time I’ve heard about the kitty litter scrub infact one of my YouTube gurus made a video demonstrating it a month or so ago… I think it’s weird but besides that my skin is way to sensitive to even consider attempting something like that.
Just thought I’d share

Jane
Saturday, November 26/2011 at 9:02 am

Agree! It would be like sandpaper…yikes.

Marina(Makeup4All)
Saturday, November 26/2011 at 10:54 am

Sorry, did not watch that Snooki video, have no idea who she is and your posts kinda makes me think that I am right about ;)
I am not an expert at niche perfumery (maybe yet?) but from those that are not that widely spread, I like Vivienne Westwood Let It Rock and Boudoir.
As for Springs, it’s all about pastel peaches, pinks and green. Not sure I am excited about that…

Liz
Sunday, November 27/2011 at 1:57 am

Whats wrong with a mobile home? Honestly, good for her. If she is happy thats all that matters. I can’t imagine what its like living with all that extra skin. Working hard to lose weight and not being happy in the end must’ve felt awful.

Anyway, Emily looks great. I hate the reformulation of the perfume so I will not be buying but the ad looks great.

Emma
Monday, November 28/2011 at 4:19 pm

I am such a fan of Emily Blunt and wow she looks absolutely stunning in the Opium ad! Any opportunity to see her photographed is welcome to me, I even hunted down a copy of Elle UK when she was on the cover – a big thing to do in Australia! She’s just such a talented actress and so beautiful to look at…can’t wait to see the full ad!

Loving the Essie nail polishes for summer, so bright and fun! I’m loving orange-reds at the moment…so perfect for summer (when it starts in 2 days yay!)

Savory Tv
Monday, November 28/2011 at 11:33 pm

I just wandered over from reading a hair oil reviews and have now spent over an hour reading archives! ♥ Love love this blog!

Ok, aside from the ick factor, here’s the thing with the cat litter. Remember the St Ive’s apricot scrub? I think they still make it actually, but dermatologists everywhere were telling people *not* to use it, because the edges are sharp and jaggety, and it actually causes small microtears to the skin. I’ll stick to Dermalogica’s microfoliant, thank you!

And regarding the lady with the surgery, I think sometimes with large amounts of weight loss, people have this loose skin that simply cannot be removed by any other means than surgery…..so if she really wanted to fix it and downsize her home, good for her, who are we to judge :)

Cheers and I will absolutely be back!
xoxxo

Abigail
Tuesday, November 29/2011 at 4:37 am

If it was the deciding factor in whether I was happy or not, I think I’d opt for the surgery and a double wide! I think we’re all a bit vain :)