We already know what Adriana Lima did to prep for the Victoria's Secret fashion show, which aired last night. (A hint, if you missed this post: it involved no solid foods for nine days before the show, and then no liquids at all during the final 12 hours.) And like I said, just knowing that makes me feel a lot better about myself, because now we know that even Victoria's Secret supermodels do not look like Victoria's Secret supermodels. It takes extreme measures that us civilians would never be up for (I hope).
But that's just the body portion. Just the tip of the iceberg! Let me break this down for you. It takes one lead makeup artist (the great Tom Pecheux). Twenty-one makeup artists. Seven "body-bronzing artists" (that's what the kids are calling 'em these days, I guess). One lead hairstylist (you've heard of Orlando Pita, yes?). Twenty-one hairstylists. One lead manicurist (Mila Yagoudaief). And finally, four manicurists.
That's to prep 38 models... but still. Just imagine what WE could look like if we had that kind of help in the mornings. If you're wondering how, exactly, they do it, here's the scoop...
First of all, the inspiration for this show was a new Victoria's Secret fragrance called Angel. (Not THAT Angel—which, no offense to Thierry Mugler, gives me the shivers. It's the patchouli.) No, this one is a warm blend of pink pepper, plum, violet, amber, musk and agarwood. I haven't sniffed it yet, but I think it's safe to assume it's pretty seksi.
Anyway! As clouds of it were probably wafting through the backstage area, the army of experts were busy prepping these ladies for the runway. Say what you will about the lingerie itself (I'm a snob; I prefer La Perla)... but I think this makeup is quite gorgeous:
Notice how it's very low-key, in contrast to the red lip Miss Miranda Kerr is sporting in the pic at the top (from the more recent Fashion Show viewing party). They NEVER put a model in lingerie with red lipstick. That would be too much. I think I've said this before... when there's lots of skin below the neck, the face has to be soft, soft, soft.
Here's how to get that "angelic" skin:
1. Prep your skin with primer. (This is VS PRO Airbrush FX Face Primer SPF 20.)
2. Use a foundation brush or damp sponge to buff on some tinted moisturizer (here, VS Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15).
3. Press concealer with fingers or a brush into any imperfections. (Product here is VS PRO Camouflage FX Concealer Palette.)
4. Apply bronzer (such as VS Baked Mineral Bronzing Powder in Glitterati) to the forehead, temples, cheekbones and jawline.
5. Get a rosy flush by swirling blush (VS Luminous Mineral Blush Duo in Starlet) on the apples, pulling the colour slightly up to the temples.
6. For an "iconic angelic glow," dust a gold shimmer powder (here, VS Brilliant Shimmer Shadow in Gold Dust) on to the temples and tops of cheekbones.
7. Blend, blend, blend! The bronzer, blush and gold highlighter should blend together seamlessly.
For the eyes, which have that slight cat-eye thing going on that I was talking about yesterday...
1. Apply primer to lids. (Try VS PRO Lasting FX Eye Shadow Primer.)
2. Hide any darkness, under-eye circles or puffiness with a brightening concealing pen underneath the eyes (eg. VS PRO Light FX HD Eye Brightening Pen).
3. Use the same gold shimmer powder (VS Brilliant Shimmer Shadow in Gold Dust) on the browbones and the inner corners of the eyes.
4. With black liquid liner, draw along the upper lash line all the way from the inner corner to the outer corner for a slight upward cat-eye wing. (See my tips here!) The look is very natural though, so don't make the line too thick or dramatic.
5. Finish with "coats and coats" of a volumizing and lengthening mascara in black, on both top and bottom lashes. (Try VS Triple Drama Mascara in Blackest Black.)
And last but not least, the lips:
1. Prep your lips with an exfoliating treatment to make them smooth and plump. (Here, they used VS PRO Smooth FX Lip Scrub & Balm.)
2. Apply a pink champagne nude lipstick. (This colour is VS Perfect Lipstick in Whisper.)
3. Top with a coat of sheer coral gloss (VS Lip Gloss is Sublime) or sheer sparkly pink gloss (VS Sparkling Lip Gloss in Delight), concentrating it at the centre of the mouth to give the illusion of fullness.
Oh! And in case you're planning to prance around in lingerie (with or without wings)...
... you can steal their tricks for body makeup, too. Instead of deep bronze faux tans, it was more of a healthy glow. The how-to:
1. Apply a liberal coating of body lotion (like Victoria’s Secret Angel Fragrance Lotion).
2. Mist a tinted body spray all over the body for a boost of colour. (Here, they used VS Beach Sexy Flawless Airbrush Instant Spray.)
3. To highlight and contour, dust a bronze shimmer (VS Beach Sexy Sun Dust Bronze Shimmer Brush) along the centre of the legs, collarbone and over the shoulders.
And doesn't Miranda have the best hair?
I don't have a ton of deets on how to do this, but this is what I do know...
1. Set the hair with curls going outward and away from the face (instead of spiral or barrel curls).
2. Mist with a dry shampoo (like So Sexy Style Clean & Go Dry Shampoo) to achieve more volume and texture.
3. Finish with a shine mist (such as So Sexy Style Brilliant & Glossy Shine Mist) for a healthy shine.
Oh, le sigh. Remember how we talked about Girl Hot versus Boy Hot? When I see these pics, I really, really feel like being Boy Hot. Which means I probably should hit the gym more, get friendly with my curling iron and buy more push-up bras.
Over to you...
Did you watch the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show?
Who is your favourite Angel?
Do you think you'd like to copy this look? (Okay, maybe sans bedazzled bra and thigh-highs...)