Golden Globes ’12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

Golden Globes 2012 - Zooey Deschanel

Here we go! It’s your GG beauty coverage—and my goodness, there are a lot of celebs to view and discuss! (Um, 25, to be exact.)

My overall observation? There was a lot more experimentation going on with the hair than the makeup. And of course, as is the case with every awards show, a whole bunch of celebs stuck with the can’t-go-wrong updo and nude makeup combo. It’s boring for beauty editors, but it works.

Shall we do something different this time and start with my least favourite looks first? (You know, the automatic ABORT ABORT ABORTs.) Then, we’ll talk about the mushy middle, and finally get to my favourites of the night. Let’s dig in!

Part 1: My Least Favourite Golden Globes Beauty Looks

Claire Danes

Golden Globes 2012 Claire Danes Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

Pairing a strong eye with a strong lip is no longer wrong (see: Angelina below), but it’s still tricky. You have to be polished, polished polished—and Claire is not. I sympathize with the shiny skin problem, but it IS the Golden Globes after all. Plus, I find the makeup in general just waaaay too harsh for her hair and complexion.

Nicole Kidman

Golden Globes 2012 Nicole Kidman Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

It’s my celebrity doppelganger! Except the resemblance becomes more problematic the more she does to her lips and face. Mostly I have a problem with her hair here—it looks too flat and kind of stringy for an awards show. Where is the volume?

Jessica Biel

Golden Globes 2012 Jessica Biel Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

Okay, The Hair. Why did she dye it so dark? I don’t think this colour is at all flattering. (And believe me, I’ve been there and shudder at my photos too.) Second, she needs some kind of frizz-taming serum. It just looks messy. Love the lip colour though!

Heidi Klum

Golden Globes 2012 Heidi Klum Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

Is she going to the beach or a red carpet event? I mean, it’s not wrong, but it’s not right either. Between the necklace, the hair and the tanned, nude face, I’m getting a way too casual vibe.

Salma Hayek

Golden Globes 2012 Salma Hayek Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

And just like that, I was over Ombré. I mean, REALLY over it. I’m sorry—I know the rest is great (I love the waves), but I can’t wrap my head around this two-tone dye job. It even kinda looks like she has greys!

Freida Pinto

Golden Globes 2012 Freida Pinto Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

Freida is gorgeous, yes, but here’s another example of hair that maybe was a tad too casual. It doesn’t look too bad in this side-view pic, but front-on it was especially boring.

Evan Rachel Wood

Golden Globes 2012 Evan Rachel Wood Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

Once again, I’ve got reservations about ERW. It’s the same old story: something about the way her makeup is applied is too mature. Too heavy. Too dark. Look at the lipstick! Why is it like that?!?

Sofia Vergara

Golden Globes 2012 Sofia Vergara Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

I hesitated about whether or not to put Sofia on my “worst” list, but I’ve decided it’s time—these unkempt brows have to go. It’s the way they curve down at the inner corners—I feel like taking a few millimetres off would do a world of good.

Madonna

Golden Globes 2012 Madonna Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

Madonna is on this part of the list only because we’ve seen this beauty look before. All of it. Many times. Including the cross necklace! Also: would it kill you to touch up your roots? It’s only the Golden Globes, Madonna. (Although she’s not the only offender…)

Part 2: Golden Globes Beauty Looks that I’m on the Fence About

Jessica Alba

Golden Globes 2012 Jessica Alba Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

Nothing to say here, except that she looks great in a generic sort of way.

Natalie Portman

Golden Globes 2012 Natalie Portman Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

I feel like we saw this exact same thing at multiple awards shows last year, didn’t we? That was Natalie’s year. Not that she doesn’t look amazing here, too.

Kate Beckinsale

Golden Globes 2012 Kate Beckinsale Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

Are you getting bored yet? Here’s yet another pretty updo with pretty makeup.

Kate Winslet

Golden Globes 2012 Kate Winslet Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

At least Kate did something a little different with her updo and gave it the side-bang here. Is her hair too blonde? Sometimes I think it’s too blonde.

Reese Witherspoon

Golden Globes 2012 Reese Witherspoon Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

Yikes! I wasn’t expecting Sexy Reese. Don’t you much prefer Cute Reese? I’m not really sure what inspired this look, but I’ll give it a pass, even though I prefer her with straight hair. Root touch-up also needed!

Elle Macpherson

Golden Globes 2012 Elle Macpherson Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

Here’s another variation on the tousled, blonde, rooty look. It works, because, well, it’s ELLE. Just wondering if she could’ve maybe worn a bit more of an eye or lip to give this a focal point.

Sarah Michelle Gellar

Golden Globes 2012 Sarah Michelle Gellar Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

This is a little too cheerleader for me. Remember when Reese did the ponytail last year? It worked for her, but I’m not so sure SMG has the personality for it. Also, is the blue eyeliner a bit much? Maybe I’m nit-picking because I didn’t like the dress.

Part 3: My Fave Golden Globes Beauty Looks

Michelle Williams

Golden Globes 2012 Michelle Williams Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

Yes, it’s a bit cutesy, but I don’t think I care—Michelle is just way too adorable with this headband. I want to put her in my pocket. Also love the very, very fine eyeliner on the lower waterline.

Charlize Theron

Golden Globes 2012 Charlize Theron Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

Speaking of hair accessories, here’s another version, this time with a more Grecian goddess vibe. Perfectly excuted, Charlize! And you know, she’s one of those people who look better with less makeup.

Rooney Mara

Golden Globes 2012 Rooney Mara Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

The girl of the moment looked pretty darn striking last night. Even though none of this is my style, I’m totally digging the super-slick hair, strong part and emphasis on the upper lashes. It all suits her perfectly.

Mila Kunis

Golden Globes 2012 Mila Kunis Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

Best brows in the business. Don’t you think? Maybe that’s why Mila was one of my favourites, despite having very low-key makeup and hair. Sometimes, I like simple.

Dianna Agron

Golden Globes 2012 Dianna Agron Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

Weird skating-style bodice aside, I love this lip on Dianna. And the texture-y hair is rather awesome too.

Emma Stone

Golden Globes 2012 Emma Stone Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

Well, of course Emma’s on my favourites list! Duh. This time, she went for an artistic, smoky-silvery eye. The girl is a beauty editor’s dream, see?

Angelina Jolie

Golden Globes 2012 Angelina Jolie Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

So her skin’s a bit pale. I still think this works, possibly because it’s relatively rare to see Ange in a bold lip. It’s exciting! There is also a good sense of balance between the lip and the eye, so the whole look comes across as sophisticated (not overdone, like Claire).

Nicole Richie

Golden Globes 2012 Nicole Richie Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

Yay Nicole for doing something really fun with your hair! I’m totally digging this bouffant-ponytail hybrid with the long, lash-grazing bangs. Another key part of the look was the heavy brown eyeliner on the lower lash line. I likey!

Zooey Deschanel

Golden Globes 2012 Zooey Deschanel Golden Globes 12: The best and worst celebrity beauty looks—plus everyone in between!

Okay, I’ve saved the best for last—Zooey was my favourite. Not the dress, but her impossibly shiny, voluminous hair, and the doe-eyed mascara technique. I tell you, if my hair could do this I’d be happy forever. In the meantime, I’ll settle for making a concerted effort to apply more mascara than ever before on my lower lashes.

Okay, over to you…

Who were your GG faves?
Are we in agreement about the “worst” list?
If you had to walk a red carpet tomorrow, which look would you copy?

Erin
Monday, January 16/2012 at 8:33 pm

My sister was convinced Zooey’s hair was a wig. I know she’s got good hair, but something about this looks insanely unreal.

Elisa
Monday, January 16/2012 at 9:30 pm

I also thought it looked like a wig! Along the same lines, everything about Mila K’s eyes, including the brows, looks painted on like a doll to me. I need to see a stray hair or two for reassurance that I’m looking at a human I guess. (See Dianna A. just below her for eyebrows made of actual human hair.)

Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 8:42 am

I think it’s just this pic making them look a bit light. See here: http://www.temptalia.com/mila-kunis-2012-golden-globes-photos-dress-makeup

Elisa
Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 10:01 am

The brows do look much better there — though the eyelids still look like they retract back into her head ;)

Sophia
Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 3:04 pm

I think her eyelids are outlined… I’ve seen it in some vintage make up ads before

Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 8:39 am

You know what? I hope it is a wig because I didn’t see the sideburns until later… see here: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-beauty/news/zooey-deschanel-rocks-sideburns-tuxedo-nail-art-at-2012-golden-globes-2012161. Those side pieces are just too short, Zooey!

Julis
Thursday, January 19/2012 at 2:54 am

I am like 99.9% sure it was a wig, the day after the GG’s, on her twitter she posted a birthday picture of herself with her hair back to normal length again…

Kat
Monday, January 16/2012 at 8:43 pm

Zooey and Angelina are… wow. Just to die for. I had to go check other pics to really get the Emma Stone one, because at first glance it looked like a bit much in the eyeshadow department, but it looks really nice from a distance, the silver shade is less blue-y and complements the accents in the dress nicely. (http://cdn03.cdnwp.celebuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/15/Emma-Stone-at-2012-Golden-Globes-3-435×580.jpg)

Cristina
Monday, January 16/2012 at 9:41 pm

Love Rooney Mara’s look. There just something very simple, yet unique about it that I love.

Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 8:44 am

Same!

Rose
Monday, January 16/2012 at 10:59 pm

I see a similarity with Claire & Angelina that is aging & just off. It’s that ashy foundation color with too light concealer. It’s slightly dead looking. Both women can look amazing but for me the grayish face color sucks out the beauty as opposed to Emma & Rooney, who are also quite pale but lack that gray undertone thing.

Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 8:46 am

I know what you mean… it could just be aging skin losing its radiance and glow. Emma and Rooney are like a decade younger.
Or maybe they’re smokers!

Liz Stanley
Monday, January 16/2012 at 11:35 pm

Angie is just perfection! Poor Charlize and Emma are seriously lacking in the eyebrow dept. Soooo thin!

Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 8:47 am

Not sure about Emma but Charlize has always had super thin brows. They actually look thicker here than they used to!

Lauren
Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 12:01 am

Rooney & Angelina look stunning. Kate Winslet looks awkward in that pic.

Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 8:48 am

Oh I know, bad pic! I couldn’t find another high quality close up…

Cassandra
Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 12:03 am

I like Zoey and Dianna’s looks the best.

Mila looks high as a kite. Her makeup also makes he look washed out. It’s too blah.

Angelina would have looked better with a softer eye, like maybe gold…something a bit glittery. Hers is too flat.

Emma’s eyes are too garish. They should have blended better. I don’t want to see the delineations of brow, crease, lid. Loved her dress though.

The more I look, the more perfect Dianna looks. Too bad about the dress. This is what AJ should’ve done with her eyes.

Elle and Reese’s hair is too casual for the GG’s. It looks ridiculous, unkempt but they’re all made up and dressed to the nines. NO.

Elle needed either a strong lip or eye…something.

Natalie needed a red lip here.

I don’t like ombre at all. It looks like people just decided to let their highlights grow out. Yuck.

I called the headbands in my other comment re: Jenn Aniston and her questionable barrette…:)

Claire needed a softer lipstick.

Tracy@Beauty Reflections
Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 12:51 am

But Zooey had those weird side burns with her going on. I didn’t like that. It looked like she had a wig on and her real hair was poking out.

Melissa
Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 1:13 am

OMG I just wanted to go running down that red carpet with a Mason Pearson and BRUSH BRUSH BRUSH. There is a line between “sexy tousled” and what my mother calls “Bruja!” — awful, messy, wicked witch hair — that was crossed repeatedly last night… Jessica Biel in particular!! What an offender!! And that dress was just too bridal, considering all the goss about her is-it-or-isn’t-it engagement. Ugh. I really don’t like how she puts herself together, I totally think Revlon needs to end her ads and send all their money to their Emma Stone ads instead because THAT girl, obvs, can sell me her beauty look any time. She makes having pale skin look so much more interesting than people like Evan Rachel Wood or Angelina Jolie, they seem content to accept their pale skin as a limiting factor. Go Team Emma Stone!

And PS: isn’t that more or less Charlize’s standard look as well, much like how Natalie deployed her standard look?

Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 8:51 am

Haha, you are so right! I hope they’re paying Emma a lot more money than Jess, because she’s the one selling the brand right now.

Mia
Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 3:13 am

I’d bet that Madonna has her hair dyed that way, with the dark roots. Because it “proves” she’s not grey, guys!!

Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 8:52 am

Oooh I like this theory!

Vero
Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 11:33 am

You know, that’s pretty smart! Although I wouldn’t believe for a minute that she has no greys…I’m 29 and have a bunch!

Marina (Makeup4all)
Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 4:57 am

My faves were Charlize and Angelina (makeup). I was upset that I did not like SMG hair/makeup/dress as I really love her…
Unfortunately, unlike you, I really didn’t like Zooey (and Michelle, too), for me she was one of the worst in terms of look, hair and dress.

Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 8:54 am

Really? Maybe I’m biased because I’m a Zooey fan, but aside from the sideburns I was later alerted to, I still love her look. The ’60s bouffant thing that both her and Nicole Richie did is just so much more interesting to me than the blah Natalie Portman style stuff.

Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 8:54 am

But yes, Zooey’s dress was bad!

Jane
Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 8:26 am

Angelina looks like an waxen figure in need of a food intervention. She looks ill. I have to say the slightly natural & light make up with some roots showing works for me. Close up I see that Heidi could have used a bolder lip, but I thought her Calvin Klein dress was stunning. Charlize, while obviously gorgeous, looks a little too “pasty”. Her nude make up looks layered. More nude with maybe a stained or pinker lip. Claire Danes- just, oy. I never noticed Sofia Vergara’s brows before but now I see what you mean! Just a mm or 2….

jessica
Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 11:07 am

I agree with everything except for ERW. I don’t think her makeup was too dark at all. She looked fantastic in my eyes.

Vero
Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 11:41 am

Honestly, Sarah Michelle Gellar’s look just isn’t doing it for me. At all. I’d put her in the “worst” category, myself, because of all those pastel colours. Agreed, Michelle, the baby blue eyeliner kinda ruins it, but I feel she looked washed out and kinda high-school prom here. The earrings, too. Reminds me of something you’d make with a store-bought beading kit in the ’90s.

ana p
Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 12:49 pm

Oh my. So much to say.
Angelina: disagree, sorry Michelle. She has such strong features, this look is too much she looked like the makeup was wearing her. I think it’s because her eyebows where filled in too ashy and her eyes, looked messy. I think she could have done a softer brown eye that still had impact.
Claire: Agree. I really felt for her when I saw her shiny face accepting her award. Where were her people to fix this?
Mila: Gorgeous but eyes need more blending.
What WAS with all the beachy looks? Bruja for sure! And I don’t know if this was just my monitor, but the foundations on a lot of celebs didn’t match well. Jessica A.? Orange. Jessica B? Too mat and tad dark….
Oh how much fun it is to watch the GG’s!

Barbara
Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 2:08 pm

It’s funny, all the ones you said are sort of too safe and pretty are the ones I loved!! And Zooey D bugs me way too much to really like her look. Of course she’s lovely and has pretty eyes, but she seems like a doll or something and I totally thought her hair was a wig. Even her pose annoys me! I loved Angelina b/c it was different for her – stronger makeup and a dress that wasn’t just a beige, floaty thing. Great pictures and recap! Thanks a lot!

hooran
Thursday, January 19/2012 at 5:39 pm

i accept what you said!!!!!I never can look at Zooey face becase she is not natruall,she like the beutifull little girl in kids program!!!& I love anglina!!!she is sexy &beautifull anyway!she shine in celebrates!

Lilly
Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 3:24 pm

I think you’re being too harsh here. All of the don’t (except for Claire Dane), I think they look very good, especially Nicole Kidman. When it’s you umpteenth Golden Globe, you can take it easy.

Elaine R
Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 3:43 pm

I loved jessica beil’s look! normally I dont like her (at all…), and i didn’t like her dress, but I love her darker hair colour! other favs were rooney and charlize (BEST HEADBAND!!!)… hot!!

Lisa
Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 3:43 pm

Loved this recap! I really like Zooey’s look too. Angelina looked more striking than usual- agree though, wouldn’t hurt to eat now and again! I also liked Kate Winslet’s make up and hair. Colour perhaps a bit too blonde- but I’ve always liked her blonde hair, dark eyebrow combo. I also appreciate that she’s aging but hasn’t really screwed around with her face.

I agree that Charlize does look a bit pasty or something. I have this weird thing where I don’t get the huge Charlize appeal. Yes, she’s pretty…. but her face is boring to me. Other than in her Dior commercial that’s on now, I’ve never really “gotten” the whole hype behind Charlize’s look. I find Kate Winslet far more interesting and sexy.

Stacey
Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 3:59 pm

Kate W needs to go back to being a redhead.

For the love of God why does Busy Phillips ear lobe look like that in the last post??? LOL Its bothering ME!!!!!!

Amberly
Wednesday, January 18/2012 at 12:06 am

I love Zooey’s hair (and makeup)! Never wanted to copy something so badly. The color is so so pretty, and I love the fullness – such a 60s bombshell vibe. But the comment about it being a wig totally made me laugh, and now I can’t stop seeing that.

Rooney and Dianna are also some of my faves. I also like Kate Winslet and think she looked better in other photos.

Great post.

CherieJolai
Wednesday, January 18/2012 at 2:24 pm

The makeup errors I see on the ‘Don’t Like List’ is not enough concealer and blending! I see dark circles and harsh eye shadow lines. There is a certain way to do your makeup for the camera and balance natural light – http://www.typef.com/article/cute-ways-makeup-picture/

hooran
Thursday, January 19/2012 at 5:28 pm

I think zooey is not beutifull !!!!!mayby she has nice face but I think that she dosent have prestij &high class,she like someone that want to b very cute &sexy but she couldent do it !!!but it is JUST my opinion,and I dont want to say your opininon is BAD!!

hooran
Thursday, January 19/2012 at 5:31 pm

sorry ,i cant speak english very good:-)

Samantha
Monday, January 23/2012 at 6:27 pm

I think Zooey would’ve looked better if she wore her hair up and got her bangs trimeed a little.

Amberly
Friday, January 27/2012 at 2:04 pm

Well, it turns out Zooey’s hair was not real after all! From the stylist himself: http://hellogiggles.com/zooeys-golden-globes-hair