BB Creams are the next big thing in beauty—but are they right for you? Here’s how to decide

Dolce & Gabbana - dewy skin

One of the problems (as in, #beautyeditorproblems) with writing for magazines AND maintaining a beauty blog is that I write magazine articles so far in advance that by the time I’ll allowed to cover certain trends here, my attention has drifted elsewhere. SORRY GUYS. This is what’s happened with BB Creams—a brand new beauty category that has recently arrived in Canada, and which I wrote about all the way back in the summer for fall issues of ELLE Canada and FLARE.

But today I realized, gosh, I haven’t even talked about them with you guys! Not very kind of me, I know. And unless you’re an early adopter (yay you!), you’re probably wondering what the heck this stuff even IS. Is it for blemishes? Is it a balm? What’s the difference between this and a tinted moisturizer? Can I ditch my foundation and concealer now?

So.Many.Questions. And I’m here to answer them. Here’s your BB Cream primer (ha! get it?), and how to decide if you need to embrace this trend.

Okay, so what the heck is a BB Cream, anyway?

They’re only the biggest deal ever in Asia. And now even I am surprised at just how very many beauty brands are coming out with their own versions for the North American market.

The best way to think of them is like makeup “multi-taskers”—although individual brands may vary, most offer a combination of primer, lightweight foundation, illuminator, moisturizer, anti-aging benefits and sunscreen in a single tube. Sounds good, right? The shade range is usually limited to one or two options, since these are meant to sort of melt into and adjust to your skin tone (but more on that later!).

The “BB” stands for “Beauty Balm” or “Blemish Balm,” but don’t get too hung up on the latter. The brands available in Canada so far are not really going to do all that much for blemishes, so I wouldn’t think of them as some miracle saviour for that specific concern. The whole concept originated in the 1960s, when Polish dermatologist Christine Schrammek-Druiso created the original Blemish Balm to target not acne but post-peel skin. (It soothed and concealed the redness.) Later, BBs completely took off in South Korea, when brands there came out with more sophisticated versions that actresses used to camouflage skin issues after having cosmetic procedures. (You do know that South Korea is the plastic surgery capital of the world, yes? People there are beauty OBSESSED.)

Anyway, fans of these actresses naturally wanted to use what they used, and so a cult craze was born. Then, it spread to the U.K. and Europe… and now, it’s arrived in Canada…

BB Creams available in Canada

The first to market was M.A.C’s Prep + Prime Beauty Balm SPF 35:

M.A.C Prep + Prime Beauty Balm SPF 35 BB Creams are the next big thing in beauty—but are they right for you? Heres how to decide

This was the first one I tried and still my favourite. While it’s not appropriate for darker skin tones (which M.A.C readily admits), I found the coverage and finish impressive. Its priming capabilities helped it last a long time without making me shiny.

Smashbox Camera Ready 5-in-1 Beauty Balm came out the day after Christmas:

Smashbox Camera Ready 5 in 1 Beauty Balm BB Creams are the next big thing in beauty—but are they right for you? Heres how to decide

Haven’t tried this one yet, but it sounds similar to M.A.C’s. I like that it has oil-controlling properties too. UPDATE: The best part about this one is that it comes in four shades.

Launching this month is Boscia BB Cream, which is a bit more on the natural side:

Boscia BB Cream BB Creams are the next big thing in beauty—but are they right for you? Heres how to decide

Unlike the other BB formulas, this one has a mineral (titanium dioxide) sunscreen. I found the coverage lighter than the M.A.C version, though… and the formula is a bit dark for my complexion. (Janine says another shade is in the works.)

Estée Lauder DayWear BB Multi-Perfecting Beauty Benefit Creme SPF 35 (maybe the longest product name ever) is coming out this month too:

Estee Lauder Daywear BB Multi Perfecting Beauty Benefit Creme SPF 35 BB Creams are the next big thing in beauty—but are they right for you? Heres how to decideI haven’t tried this one yet, but I like that it comes in two shades. The formula sounds a bit less oil-control focused and more hydrating/nourishing (it contains antioxidants and lipids).

At the mass market, yet another January launch is Garnier’s BB Cream:

Garnier BB Cream BB Creams are the next big thing in beauty—but are they right for you? Heres how to decide

For me, this one just wasn’t high-coverage enough—it looked and felt like a tinted moisturizer—however, your mileage may vary. It comes in two shades, but no SPF yet.

And finally, props to Canadian brand Marcelle for getting in on the trend too. Theirs is in stores next month:

Marcelle BB Cream BB Creams are the next big thing in beauty—but are they right for you? Heres how to decide

No word yet on this one since I don’t have a sample… it doesn’t have SPF either.

UPDATE: This just in! Vichy is launching Neovadiol Lumière, “the first anti-aging BB Cream,” in Feb. It’s specifically for mature skin and is supposed to boost radiance and improve texture. The packaging will look like this:

Vichy Neovadiol Lumière BB Creams are the next big thing in beauty—but are they right for you? Heres how to decide

This won’t suit my skin type, but I think it’s a great idea that they’ve come out with a more targeted formula.

How to use a BB Cream

Gordon Espinet BB Creams are the next big thing in beauty—but are they right for you? Heres how to decideThe most important thing to know about BB Creams is that you’re NOT using them to try and cover. That’s still concealer’s job!

No, BBs are more like skin enhancers. You know, for glowy, Photoshoppy, radiant-looking skin. I got these instructions via M.A.C’s senior VP of makeup artistry, Gordon Espinet:

1. Start with clean skin that is slightly damp  (either from washing your face or just spritz lightly with a facial mist).

2. Skip your moisturizer and primer.

3. Squeeze out about a quarter-sized amount (you want to be generous here) of your BB Cream and while your skin is still damp, massage it into your face with your fingers. Put it all over—not just where you think you need coverage, because remember that we’re not trying to specifically “cover.”

4. As you massage it in, the balm-like cream will dry down and make your skin look smoother and more evenly toned.

5. Still have imperfections? Go in now and correct them with concealer, foundation and/or powder.

It all sounds pretty easy peasy, but here’s how to decide if you’re a BB candidate or if you should sit this one out.

You might like a BB Cream if…

You don’t need a lot of coverage. Although the M.A.C product is definitely the highest I’ve tried, it still offers (along with all of these other brands) a coverage level that is akin to what you’d get from a tinted moisturizer. If that doesn’t float your boat, you might be better off with a regular foundation. Here are some beauty-editor approved options!

You hate layering products and/or you always forget to apply sunscreen. Who wants to apply moisturizer, sunscreen, primer and THEN foundation? Ugh, not me. The fact that you can skip at least three of these steps is mega appealing. Note: like I said, not all of these formulas have built-in SPF, but for the ones that do, it’s a major bonus.

You have fair- or medium-toned skin. This one’s totes unfair, but so far there just aren’t a lot of options for medium-to-dark skin tones. (UPDATE: To my knowledge, it’s just Smashbox that offers a “dark” BB Cream.) Boo. However, it’s still early days and we’ll probably see more shade options as the category grows.

You should probably skip the BB Cream trend if…

You have large areas of redness or discolouration. Remember how I had that epiphany not too long ago that we shouldn’t be using concealer to cover large areas when a foundation would probably do a better job? Well, I stand by that. My skin can get pretty blotchy sometimes and on those days a BB won’t cut it. Just sayin’.

You have acne. As I mentioned above, the fact that the word “blemish” is in the product name is kinda misleading. While these may not do any harm, I’m not convinced they are the best thing for active acne—you’re probably not going to get enough coverage, and I’d personally feel better wearing a mineral formula to lessen the chance of irritation. (Living Nature make a great liquid mineral foundation, BTW.)

You have a darker complexion. Sorry, ladies. (UPDATE: Smashbox has a “dark” shade—if anyone has tried this and likes it, please let us know in the comments.)

My verdict

I know I’m approaching levels of beauty obsession that are close to the South Koreans, and yes, the all-in-one aspect of BBs IS amazing…. but I’ll be honest: I don’t think this trend is going to find a permanent home in my routine. I’m too dedicated to my moisturizer (Miracle 10) to give up those amazing lactic acid benefits, and the same thing goes for my mineral sunscreen (SkinCeuticals), which I won’t trade in for a chemical version. And while my skin is fair enough to carry off most of these formulas, I’m cursed with Scottish genes that make my skin go red in an instant. So for now (although I reserve the right to change my mind at a later date!) I’ll be sticking with my higher-coverage, but still very natural, Make Up For Ever foundation and concealer combo. The only BB that I’ll occasionally dabble with on casual (and good skin) days is M.A.C’s.

What do YOU think?

Have you heard of BB Creams?
Tried any of these formulas yet?
Are they a miracle product or just another beauty fad?

Gina
Wednesday, January 18/2012 at 3:45 pm

SO funny you would create this post now.
I went to Korea Town last week and loaded up on facial masks and cheap glitter nail polish. While I was in the store, the lady introduced me to BB cream. She said it was very very famous in Korea.
I wasn’t completely sold, so she gave me some samples.
Not sure how I feel about it just yet.
I’m more amazed at the timing of your post. Crazy.

Wednesday, January 18/2012 at 3:49 pm

Which brand(s) did you get samples of?
Apparently Dr. Jart is supposed to be quite good – I believe you can also order it online from Sephora.com and they’ll ship to Canada. In the ELLE story I wrote we also photographed something called Skin79, but I didn’t try that one – think it came from Pacific Mall in Toronto.

leonie
Thursday, January 19/2012 at 4:09 pm

Skin79! It’s actually a Korean brand, and it’s basically one of the originals – often called the “queen of BB creams”, etc. They’ve got a ton of different types, and in fact their classic/original one is the BB cream I myself use. I bought it when I was spending 8 months in China and had managed to lose all my other makeup… freaking LOVE it. I’m very pale and kind of cool-toned so it works nicely for me in terms of shade, and I find it gives a moderate level of coverage while sinking completely into my skin so it looks like I’m not wearing anything. It’s supposedly whitening and anti-wrinkle… since I’m still a teenager and already pale as a sheet, I can’t really comment on how well it upholds those claims, but nevertheless I adore it. Wish I had stocked up when I was in Asia.

Gina
Wednesday, January 18/2012 at 4:02 pm

This brand:

It’s not bad. At first the colour is quite grey (a little scary), but once it’s blended in it’s fine.
They charge $40.

Vicki
Wednesday, January 18/2012 at 4:21 pm

I actually just started using the Smashbox one and I am loving it!! It does have oil control properties, I don’t blot during the day whereas before I was blotting once a day. But it IS January. Can’t wait to see how it works during the summer. I also find that it covers even better than a tinted mosturizer (if you combine with concealer). I used to use both tinted moisturizer and powder foundation on top and now I’ve eliminated the powder.

Lindsay
Wednesday, January 18/2012 at 4:48 pm

I’ve been so curious about this BB stuff, and I kind of WANT to love it, but I feel like it just adds more stuff to to my bathroom cupboard that I already have. I don’t really wear foundation and I really like my moisturizer and my skin (usually) looks nice, so why mess with my (non-broken) system?

Shivani
Wednesday, January 18/2012 at 4:53 pm

I love how you say…”Darker skin – sorry ladies”
How unfair, right? I hate missing out on this trend!

Vicki
Wednesday, January 18/2012 at 4:58 pm

Shivani, Smashbox has four shades, fair, light, medium and dark. I’m not sure if the drak will work for you, I haven’t looked at it (I’m fair) but it’s worth a look! :) They have them at Sephora.

Wednesday, January 18/2012 at 5:30 pm

Ahhh I skipped over that part of the press release – didn’t get a sample of that one so I (wrongly) assumed it was just one shade. I will update the post – thanks! Good to know there’s at least one option for dark skin!!

Shivani
Wednesday, January 18/2012 at 6:47 pm

Thanks Vicki :)
I think medium will work just fine on me – but most BB creams ignore you blatantly if you are anything over fair medium.

AJ
Wednesday, January 18/2012 at 9:44 pm

LOVE BB creams for the summer but am also too dedicated to my serums to make the all-season’s switch. Thanks for bringing the BB secret mainstream ;)

Hannah
Wednesday, January 18/2012 at 10:29 pm

I have a Korean one, the Missha perfect cover, and from the description of these Western versions, it seems quite different… it gives me as much coverage (with a tiny little drop) as a medium coverage foundation and leaves my skin with a demi-matte finish. Which is great that is what you are looking for, but I wanted something a little sheerer and luminous, so I never use it!

Thursday, January 19/2012 at 11:02 am

Yes – haven’t tried any but from what I hear the Asian ones are heavier…
Do you find the colour is also a little ashy? I understand they adjusted that too for N America.

Grace
Wednesday, January 18/2012 at 11:32 pm

Awesome post! I was not aware Vichy was coming out with a BB Cream here! They have a different one in asia called the Aera Mineral BB that totally erases pores but the shade is too pale for me. I must admit I’m quite disappointed with the Western bb creams that have come out so far, although I’m glad that brands are catching on to the bandwagon :) Garnier was definitely too light coverage to do anything for me, and Boscia was absolutely horrible and I wish I could rip the “BB” out of the name. I really wish I could try the MAC one but everything MAC breaks me out. I’ve tried some Korean Dr. Jart ones, some Missha ones, and a bunch of others but my current HG is actually a Japanese one by skincare giant Hada Labo called BB Moist Cream (with spf!!) *LOVE*

Mia
Thursday, January 19/2012 at 12:48 am

I’ve been using a 3Lab one I picked up in the US at Christmas. Major $$$ but the sunscreen level is pretty high – SPF 40 – which I like, and I do like the coverage leverl. I probably won’t use it in the summer since I’ll want to use my 60 spf then, but it’s nice for winter on the days when I feel like I need a bit of coverage.
I really do prefer the look of fresh, clean skin with no foundation though (it’s so aging) so on the days when I can, I go without.

Vicki
Thursday, January 19/2012 at 9:22 am

No problem ladies!!! :) And Shivani, I hope you like it as much as I do!!!

Aurelia
Thursday, January 19/2012 at 11:48 am

The most popular Asian brand BB cream is Dr G Hydraintensive with SPF. Seriusly, all my friends and I use it. And LOVE IT! I get mine off http://www.sasa.com. It’s the no. 1 selling bb cream in Asia.

I’m not kocking the Western brand’s version of bb creams but to be honest, they don’t seem to be an all-in-one as bb creams are meant to be.

QuiteLight
Thursday, January 19/2012 at 12:53 pm

Thanks, Michelle! I read some foreign beauty blogs (Japan & Australia (found Me, My Best & I through this blog), and they refer to BB creams all the time. I was getting so curious!

Amy
Thursday, January 19/2012 at 7:54 pm

I live in the uk, and i’ve only really noticed promotions from drugstore brands like garnier and now no7. i bought the ganrier bb cream in light and it is waay to dark! (im nc20 at mac) so i 100% agree about poor shade ranges even for light skin. i attempted to make bb creams work for me but i think i’ll just stick to my regular foundation, it appears to be a whole loada hype for a product that in my opinion doesnt seem that revolutionary!!

Marisa
Friday, January 20/2012 at 12:12 am

The thought of skipping my moisturizer sends me straight into panic mode. It just feels so wrong to skip my luscious, creamy moisturizer!

Melissa
Friday, January 20/2012 at 7:55 pm

Same as Marisa: no moisturizer? I would die. Why the need to skip it? What would happen if I did put moisturizer on first?

irah
Sunday, May 20/2012 at 3:30 am

You can actually, I usually put on my gel moisturizer before i stepped out of toilet after my shower and apply BB when I reach my room. I’ll dress up, check mail then apply make up. I’m using Lioele BTW.

When I first started using Lioele BB cream a year or so ago,
it was horrifying. I didn’t know I had to let it sink in before applying powder, so I look like a ghost (I appeared ashy since it haven’t sink in yet and pale) . Had to wash it all off and left home with tinted moisturiser and lip&cheek stain.

After that, I figured it out by accident, I apply the cream and went to hang laundry(at mom’s order). I came back to my room and saw my reflection “hey, i don’t look pale and ashy… actually, quite good(my dark circles were gone-I have awful dark circles- and pores on my nose were barely visible)”.

Ashley
Saturday, January 21/2012 at 6:21 pm

I am interested to give this a try. I work in cosmetics and we got a ridiculous amount of promo material that I was so confused as to exactly what they were. The higher spf in some has some serious appeal. Are there any that come in super light? I find that most tinted moisturisers are too dark and make me look burnt.

irah
Sunday, May 20/2012 at 3:38 am

Higher SPF – don’t take flash pix at night … actually, most just blends well with fair tones…. Hope Girl will make fair skin looks peachy and fresh(no spf so good for flash photography). Nivea young tinted moisturiser is not bad for fair skin.

nic
Sunday, January 22/2012 at 2:15 pm

A quarter size amount seems like SO much. I use my normal skincare and spf and then use a pea-size at most but maybe the damp skin makes it go on more sheer. I would love to have an all in one product tho. I like how this trend is big with male and female Asian celebs. It does look makeup-free when done correctly. I currently am trying out two. I’ll try Gordon’s method when I don’t have to go anywhere.

Samantha
Friday, January 27/2012 at 5:19 am

Coming from Singapore, where everyone here is pretty much obsessed with the K-wave, BB creams are everywhere. I kid you not. From high-end brands to obscure brands. I own four tubes of them, with two from Skinfood, one from Dr. Jart and one from Skin 79. I have another one from bio-essence as well, but I’m not sure if you’ve heard of that brand.
I feel that the ones from Skinfood are better for sensitive skin, with having names like Aloe whatever and Red Bean whatever. Sorry, can’t really remember the name. I do have sensitive skin, and but I didn’t have any allergic reaction from these at all. Bad point is that maybe they function better as tinted sunscreen rather than a replacement product for foundation. Dr. Jart is good, and it’s able to cover up even pimples. Bad point is that it comes in only 1 or 2 shades, from what I remember. Skin79 is.. hmm. Not horrible, but not great. I’ve had it in a dusty corner for a few months after a few tries. But I’ve been using bbcream on-off for about 2 years, and my skin has seen an improvement!
My freckles have disappeared, and my skin does tend to behave more. (i.e. less giant pimples)
My skin has become fairer, which is one thing which all those bbcreams claimed to do.
But they tend to melt off from my face (normal skin) pretty quickly in this heat which I live in, and in less than 10 hours, I probably have only a teensy bit of the bbcream still on my face :/

Makeup fan
Friday, February 3/2012 at 8:08 am

I am from SG too and I feel that makeup in general lasts for only 7 hours on my skin because it melts off throughout the day! I haven’t tried Skinfood yet but their Good Afternoon line looks good as it has different bb creams for different skin types (ie dry, oily etc). I like the Ettusais bb cream as they have 3 shades and the coverage is quite good and makes your skin feel smooth.

In general I think I prefer western bb creams to korean because my skin hates korean bb creams! I tried Etude House, Holika Holika and they all broke me out AND made me look ashy (and I am pretty fair). So I’d say western bb creams are better because of the wider shade range.. :)

I am curious about the new Too Faced and Smashbox bb creams. They look good.

momomango
Friday, January 27/2012 at 10:07 pm

skinfood bbcreams are one of the most popular items on our online store. especially the peach sake pore bbcream, the red bean, and the aloe one. other popular ones are the face shop clean face bbcream and the etude house magic bbcream.

Annathea
Friday, February 3/2012 at 10:15 am

Compared to orginal Korean these are at most BB cream related. They hardly ever contain all the good stuff Korean ones have.

Kirei
Monday, February 6/2012 at 7:20 am

Heard it so much from the Korean articles and yes, very much curious about it! So I managed to get hold of BB cream from Skinfood & couldn’t resist on trying another one from Etude House. Can’t really decide which one is better! Perhaps Etude House BB cream seems to be a little too oily & “shiny” during hot summer season. Other than that, this seemingly magic cream is just too practical to be ignored. I’ve been carrying it everywhere with me, just in case I need to jump in the car in the rush and this BB cream will save my face ^.*

momomango
Tuesday, February 7/2012 at 11:07 am

Our customers rave about the skinfood bbcream, esp the peach sake, red bean, and aloe sun ones! Common complain is that it doesn’t suit darker skin too well. Will definitely be interested to see how the canadian ones fare.

Hope In A Blog
Saturday, March 10/2012 at 2:38 pm

Here’s the complete list of Western BB Creams available now :

sarah
Thursday, March 29/2012 at 1:21 am

You said skip moisturizer but the BB cream I have isn’t at the exact SPF level I want it to be. Should I wear BB cream with Sunscreen as well? I like to have really well-protected skin.

andrea
Wednesday, April 4/2012 at 10:21 pm

the thing about so many asian and western bb creams ive tried, they leave a gray cast on my face :( tinted moisturizers tend to work better for me personally. one dayyyyyy!

Kimmie
Monday, April 23/2012 at 5:54 pm

Hi there!

I’m Vietnamese-American and currently use Nars tinted moisturizer. It’s not giving me the sheer/luminous look or feel as I thought it would. Nars does make my skin appear more pale/ashy and has cause my chin area to dry and become slightly flaky. I also tried Missha BB cream and it has less of the “ashy” effect. Although, I’ve found out that the more you apply onto the skin with the Missha product, the more ashy it becomes. Overall, I choose Missha over Nars.

I am looking for a product that is light in coverage because I don’t wear foundation nor powder, only blush and under eye coverage. But, I would love a tinted moisturizer that would give me the luminous glow because I feel my skin tone is pretty dull. Would you recommend the Smashbox? Is it heavy like M.A.C. products?

Thanks in advance!
Kimmie

irah
Sunday, May 20/2012 at 3:50 am

Go ahead and try Nivea young tinted mosturiser, I’d recommend it if you want something light to brighten up dull pallor .
I got my first tube off Ebay UK seller. Since my friend studies there now, she gets them for me.

b4by
Friday, May 18/2012 at 8:24 am

Hi there,

I am an Asian girl – living in Malaysia, and I have used and still using Dr. G Hydra Intensive Blemish Balm and trust me it is the best I have tried so far. And I would definitely re-purchase it once I finished mine! :) You just need a little bit, the size of pea and it definitely covers the whole face! One tube of 45g would definitely last for 2-3 months, for sure! But one downside of this product, I’d say it wouldn’t be suitable to someone who is very fair, but give it a go, I say… since it might somewhat blend in to your skin tone! :) I got them from Sasa. Thankss!! Btw, love this post! :) xxx

Erica
Tuesday, May 29/2012 at 2:42 pm

I’m super late to this article. The Smashbox BB cream for dark skin is wonderful! I use it on my lazy days and it blends perfectly with my complexion (almost the same as Gabrielle Union).

autumn
Sunday, August 26/2012 at 10:33 pm

I have freckles, if i wear bb cream, will i be able to see my freckles still? i love them. <3

Lauren
Wednesday, August 29/2012 at 11:44 am

so many questions!! is bb cream bad for your skin? will it give you spots? i want to cover them up during the day, but i don’t want it to give me more, will it do this? which ENGLISH brands do you reccomend, like maybeline, or smashbox? does it moisutrise your face? is it like a tinted moisturiser? is anyone can answer any of them, you will make my day, thank you *fingers crossed* <3

Newbie
Friday, September 21/2012 at 5:52 am

Well, for those with darker and paler skin tones in the UK (not sure if they’re available in the US and Canada – sorry!) Sleek has some versions catered to those ends of the spectrum:

Only found that now, so going to check it out in a bit! ^_^

Aaron
Wednesday, October 3/2012 at 1:39 am

so I’ve used the Smashbox ‘dark’ shade of the photo ready bb cream and it’s absolutely amazing! I don’t have to use foundation or a moisturizer after I wash my face. Great coverage, not thick, and great with oil control! I personally like it cause I don’t need a whole lot of coverage, it moisturizes my face and gives me an all around dewy glow look which looks very natural. Sad to say, there aren’t a lot of brands that have bb creams or Sometimes even foundations/powders in darker shades but I found the dark bb cream in Smashbox which is one of very few brands that have darker shades and was great because I’ve used thier products before which I’m very pleased with!

Gmelyn
Friday, November 9/2012 at 10:08 am

I just tried the Smashbox brand. I am African American with deep brown skin. The darkest tone in the Smashbox line works great. I love it. It would not work on a person with dark skin because it is rather light. I am wearing it alone without a foundation on top and so far so good. Let’s hope I will still look flawless by the end of the wrokday.

Sunny
Thursday, December 6/2012 at 8:57 pm

I decided to jump on the BB cream bandwagon because the stress of moving has caused a super-massive breakout. I wanted something I could put on on a day-to day basis that would give me a little coverage without making anything worse. I chose to order a few from Nature Republic and I LOVE them! I have pretty light, cool and golden toned skin and the snail therapy and bee venom BBs are both perfect matches on my skin. The blemish lab one is slightly too pink for me but I figure I can use it when I want to give a more ‘lively’ impression but the Botanical fresh one is way too dark and way too pink.

For anyone who wants to try the Korean brands out and travels, some of them (like Nature Republic and The Face Shop) have full shops in Honolulu. In the case of NR, this is the only shop they have in the US.

Angel
Monday, December 31/2012 at 11:55 pm

i don’t know about skipping the moisturizer… because i have been to many store and beauty care in China (the influence of “beauty obsessed” from Korea already reach there). All of them said that BB cream works as a replacement for foundation. Well, of course with more beneficial effects, and each brands have different effects from whitening, anti-wrinkle, but all of them protect your skin from dust, polluted air, and other bad stuffs from environment . It may not as dry as foundation because it said to have moisturizing effect, but they all said we still need to use moisturizer before applying bb cream because BB cream would make your skin drier than usual. At first, I thought it’s just their marketing strategy to made me buy more of their stuffs, so I ignored them, and applied it right after I wash my face. And yeah, it looked and felt so dry (maybe because my skin is normal/dry- type to begin with) . So after that, I bought toner and emulsion to make sure my skin is moisturized before applying one.

But well, I don’t know if the ones in American market have different effect because I’m using the South Korean ones since I always thought they are ‘mother of BB cream’

Sherri
Tuesday, January 15/2013 at 11:27 am

I absolutely hate BB creams! Completely agree that they are not for those with acne or anything to cover. I have occasional breakouts, freckling, uneven skin tone & small scars from past acne breakouts. So far I’ve tried 3 overseas BB creams and samples of 3 American ones. You are very right when you say the term “blemish” corrector is misleading. They all accentuate my flaws, and leave me looking pasty & oily. The Smashbox brand made me break out really bad, but I haven’t tried MACs yet. My skin is so horrendously oily, I tried the creams with & without my standby oil absorbent ultra powder from Mattify Cosmetics. Without the powder, the BB creams all made my skin feel sticky and wet. With the powder, I stayed matte for a whopping hour before turning into a grease factory. I’m going back to my regular liquid foundation. BB creams are definitely not for me!

Jamic
Friday, March 1/2013 at 2:40 pm

Estée Lauder’s BB is awful. Why would they make a face product that will burn the bejesus out of your eyes?? I’ll stick with moisturizing and priming.

Kittens Mew mew
Sunday, April 14/2013 at 11:45 pm

No no no! You CANNOT skip SPF just because you use a BB cream! This scares me. BB cream is not usually applied in the correct amounts (Approx. 1 teaspoon for the face alone) to give the recommended SPF protection. This is literally like saying that you can skip the sunscreen because your foundation claims SPF- most people do not apply nearly enough (and don’t reapply often enough) to reap the supposed benefits of the SPF.

I hate the hype around BB/CC creams. I think the way they lead people on into believing you can skip important steps of your regimen like application of sunscreen is just downright dangerous.

huw thomas
Tuesday, July 9/2013 at 11:57 am

Just a year late for this chain but I’ve only just found it, please don’t hate me! ho ho

So, BB and CC (stands for cash cow) creams are potentially ideal for men who want a light coverage but don’t want to look like a trannie. As with most products I find most of them far too orange and often far too heavy. For example rodial BB and Dior Hydra Life BB can only be suited for people who live in a tanning booth.

I agree that MAC BB is great. Tiny bit too heavy but used it often. By the way, I do my full face routine of shaving, washing, cleansing, applying 20 Perricone products and then high spf before any BB. Its not an all in one. It only takes me 2 hours for the complete look so no problem.

Anyway, my fave is stila colour corrector mixed with stile one step bronze – get mix right. Helps correct white face after spf and makes skin glow and nice light coverage

Next is Diorskin Nude BB. Fantastic

Clinique CC is good but bit heavy

And an oldy, laura mercier tinted moisturiser is just like a BB and fab. Sinks in, natural, no orange

Sadly all the cheap ones are totaly awful eg garnier

Byeeee

Jennypher david
Saturday, August 24/2013 at 7:18 am

Hi
i need one of bb products that would be good for my skin, n i was wondering if i can get it in Nigeria….

Please don’t ignore