Cover Me How to cover absolutely anything (zits! cold sores! dark circles!)

How to cover a pimple How to cover absolutely anything (zits! cold sores! dark circles!)

Like I touched on in my “So you want to be a beauty editor…” post, people often assume that beauty editors have the same skills as actual makeup artists. SO not true. Even though I’ve written a zillion articles about everything from smoky eyes to liquid liner, for the most part I’m still learning and refining my makeup techniques like everybody else. (This entire site is my journey, folks.)

However. There is one area where I actually do consider myself quite proficient, and that is the art of camouflage. Probably you got the hint seeing as I’ve posted about this incessantly. (I’m not joking: I’ve talked about the most common foundation mistakes, why I love HD powders, my favourite foundations, whether you need to re-think how you’re using concealer, and how I have a concealer wardrobe.) Skin is really, REALLY important.

And let’s face it: nobody cares about your artful liquid liner application if you’ve got a flaming red spot stealing all the attention. Or a cold sore, or dark circles. So from me to you, here’s your guide to hiding all the bad so people can focus on the good.

How to cover a pimple

Despite religiously taking this, one of the joys I get to experience as a woman is dealing with one or two annoying spots every month. Yay hormones!

First of all, don’t pick or squeeze (but you already knew that). I’ve learned the hard way: it’s much easier to conceal a smooth bump than an irritated, crusty, flaky one. You may even want to lay off the topical treatments if you get the cystic kind of pimples, because they’ll only dry out your skin without treating the underlying inflammation.

So pimples are red, yes? A lot of people swear by colour correctors—the green ones are meant to counteract the red—but I find this an unnecessary step, at least for my skin tone. What works for me is to first cover the area (along with the rest of my face) as per my usual routine with a liquid foundation. I use this foundation, because the Ivory shade is an absolutely perfect match for my skin tone and takes the redness right out.

Make Up For Ever HD Invisible Cover Foundation in 118 Flesh How to cover absolutely anything (zits! cold sores! dark circles!)

After I’ve applied that (with my trusty Bobbi Brown foundation brush), then I’m ready to go in and do the detail work with actual concealer. You want one with an opaque, creamy texture that will stay put and not cake or smear. The ones in a pot, like theBalm’s, are great:

theBalm TimeBalm Anti Wrinkle Concealer How to cover absolutely anything (zits! cold sores! dark circles!)

And Clé de Peau’s concealer in a stick format is also fantastic. (Pricey, but so worth it—so many makeup artists have it in their kits.)

Cle de Peau Beaute Concealer How to cover absolutely anything (zits! cold sores! dark circles!)

Lately, however, I’m having a real MUFE moment and enjoying their more liquidy concealers. The colour selection is amaze, and you actually don’t need to set them (although you can and I do). They have one that comes in a pen:

Make Up For Ever HD Concealer How to cover absolutely anything (zits! cold sores! dark circles!)

And one that comes in a tube:

Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer How to cover absolutely anything (zits! cold sores! dark circles!)

Both are super-pigmented (and I find the twisty action of the pen dispenses way too much product for covering a pimple), so that’s why my lip brush comes in handy. Yes, I said lip brush:

Japonesque Retractable Lip Brush How to cover absolutely anything (zits! cold sores! dark circles!)

Unlike concealer brushes, which have a larger, flat head, lip brushes are small and pointy—and therefore perfect for dabbing the tiniest, most precise amount of concealer on to the target. I’ll say that again: you want to DAB, not rub, and concentrate the concealer just on the discolouration of the pimple itself, not the surrounding area. This is really the key to a natural look.

(Also? Japonesque make the BEST lip brushes.)

Next I recommend setting your work with a translucent powder to make sure it stays put all day. Long before the HD craze, the heavy-duty camouflage brand Dermablend used to sell its concealer with a loose white setting powder. The new formulas work exactly the same way but are, in my opinion, way more natural-looking. You can’t go wrong with the one from MUFE:

Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder How to cover absolutely anything (zits! cold sores! dark circles!)

Or It Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores:

It Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores HD Silk Micro Finishing Powder How to cover absolutely anything (zits! cold sores! dark circles!)

But don’t use the sponge applicator or a great big kabuki. I actually take a bit of powder on my finger and press it into the pimple by hand, since dusting with a brush can rub off some of the concealer. I let it sit for maybe a minute or two before I take a small fluffy eyeshadow brush and blend the powder out. (You’ll want to use the powder everywhere you get shiny, not just where the pimple is—otherwise your skin will look weirdly matte in one spot.)

The last step is a spritz of face mist:

Jurlique Rosewater Balancing Mist How to cover absolutely anything (zits! cold sores! dark circles!)

I use Jurlique’s rosewater mist right now, which is a celebrity favourite and so, so good, but any brand will do. The mist just helps to cut the matte look of the powder and gives you a more natural skin finish. And you’re done!

How to cover a cold sore

I’ve never had a cold sore THANK GOD, but I hear they’re fun times. For those of you who suffer, I’ve been meaning to tell you about this product for a while now:

Polysporin Cold Sore Healing Patch How to cover absolutely anything (zits! cold sores! dark circles!)

What it does is form a protective barrier around the cold sore to speed up the healing process while assisting your concealment efforts. You put it on bare skin and change the patch every eight hours. I witnessed a demo where makeup was applied right on top, and you really had to look to notice it. (The only thing is to avoid standing under direct light, as the patch is made from plastic and will reflect a bit of light.)

The other great thing about the cold sore patch is that you don’t need to worry about contaminating your makeup with yucky cold sore cooties. For the best results, as with my pimple-concealing technique, it’s really important to concentrate your concealer only on top of the patch and not the surrounding skin.

How to cover dark circles

Depending on how bad your circles are, you MAY need a different shade of concealer than the one you use for blemishes. I use the same one, and in general I think it’s best to start there (since anything too light or mismatched *will* give you the reverse raccoon look). But if you really do have quite purple-toned shadows, think about investing in a slightly yellower concealer to counteract them. Test in natural light pre-purchase.

You might also want a slightly creamier formula that’s easier to blend than what you use for zits. But beware of the flip side of that: product that’s TOO creamy will pool up in the little creases. Lately my fave under-eye product is from RMS Beauty, since it has the blendability of theBalm, but has less of a tendency to cake:

RMS Beauty Un Cover Up1 How to cover absolutely anything (zits! cold sores! dark circles!)

The Clé de Peau concealer is also amazing for the eye area, as is this new, creamy wand format from NARS with light-diffusing technology:

NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer How to cover absolutely anything (zits! cold sores! dark circles!)

Next, I use a combination of my fingers and a concealer brush (I like MAC’s) to press the product all the way around my eye, anywhere there is darkness. So, over the entire lid, at the inner and outer corners, and then (duh) underneath the eye.

Here’s the important part: when I say underneath the eye, I mean the Upside-Down Triangle Technique instead of the usual half-moons. With an inverted triangle shape, you bring the concealer right down over the tops of your cheeks. The bottom point of the triangles should be on either side of your nose, and the upper edge along the lower lash lines. I love this method because it helps break up the crescent shape most people use when they apply concealer, and almost acts like a highlighter to plump up your features.

Now blend, blend, blend, and set with HD powder if you want to be doubly sure the concealer doesn’t settle into the creases. Just go easy… not like this:

Nicole Kidman powder face How to cover absolutely anything (zits! cold sores! dark circles!)

The last step is an illuminating pen on top if you really want to throw light on to the area.

Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat How to cover absolutely anything (zits! cold sores! dark circles!)

The result: bright, wide-awake eyes.

Get the products

Have your say

What’s most annoying: a zit, cold sore or dark circles?
Have you tried any of these products?
Got any concealer tips of your own?

Mellyjo
Thursday, January 26/2012 at 3:27 pm

I am quite red and blotchy au naturel, myself. And while it looks a bit gross coming fresh out of the bottle (looks a tad separated), Sally Hansen’s natural Beauty foundation (at least in the second lightest shade) did a bang-up job cutting the redness in my complexion – like magic! It’s too creamy for oilier complexions, but gives a great glow to my dry skin.

ana p
Thursday, January 26/2012 at 3:52 pm

Hey Mellyjo and Michelle! Yes, Sally Hansen is surprisingly good for coverage and dewy naturalness. I use this in the winter as I have combo skin, but decide that a little over “dew” is better than dry feeling skin in the winter….it can lead to all complications if it’s not hydrated. ANYWAYS – Only thing is I find it only lasts about 4 months before it changes tone for some reason. Michelle, can’t wait to re-try the MUFE foundation. Last time I tried it I found it fell off my face within hours. I’m not keen on primer use everyday as I’m scared of silicone build up. Every experience that? What’s the moisturizer you use under it these days? thanks!

Lorra
Thursday, January 26/2012 at 4:01 pm

I like that the HD products do not use animal testing as well.

Great tips – Thank you.

Cassandra
Thursday, January 26/2012 at 7:29 pm

Oh my, what happened to Nicole here??

I have awful (awful!) dark circles and am experimenting with different concealers right now. So far, I’m not too impressed. Hate.My. Circles.

Elizabeth
Sunday, June 23/2013 at 1:15 am

I have really bad dark circles too. I went to Sephora and got a Sephora brand undereye concealer. It’s waterproof and the woman helped me match it to my skin tone. Then I bought the purple beauty blender sponge (looks like this: http://bluefirecosmetics.com/bf-beauty-blender-foundation-sp.html). I dip it in some water, then dip it in a little of the concealer and do the upside down triangle under my eye. Then I set it with a powder a shade lighter than my skin. Covers it perfectly!

Lucy
Thursday, January 26/2012 at 7:32 pm

Hi Michelle! I discovered your blog a few months ago and have been quite fond of it ever since. You absolutely seem to know more than the “average makeup artist” and I enjoy all of your tips.
I have one really bad undereye circle that bugs the heck out of me. It sucks, especially because the area under my other eye isn’t very problematic at all. I haven’t tried many concealers (only a pen-like one by Tarte, Stila’s Illuminating concealer, and YSL’s Touche Eclat which isn’t really a concealer) but am looking into some of the ones in your concealer wardrobe. Since the one eye is bad, I’ve also been looking into Bobby Brown’s undereye corrector to correct the color. I’m curious to know your thoughts about undereye correctors since they weren’t mentioned in this article at all. Are they worth the time or should I just go for concealer alone?
Another problem I have is that when I set my concealed eyes with a setting powder, it pretty much looks like I’ve undone what I done with my bad eye. I don’t undertstand why this happens. I use a soft brush and a light hand but this happens every time. I guess I should try applying the setting powder with my fingers, but I’m afraid of looking like the picture above. Do you have any suggestions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, for you are the makeup guru, especially when it comes to application :)

Cassandra
Friday, January 27/2012 at 11:20 am

I have no good recs for undereye concealers yet but if it’s just one eye it sounds like you have some sort of sinus issue on that side. Maybe antihistamines will get rid of your bad eye circle.

Lucy
Friday, January 27/2012 at 7:35 pm

Hmm, never thought of that. It seems like I even have more problems with that eye(ball) in general. Looks like it’s time to book a few doctor’s appointments. Thanks :)

Cassandra
Saturday, January 28/2012 at 3:51 pm

Definitely get it checked. You may never need concealer again! Please let us know what they say so we can all see if we have the same issue.

Samantha
Thursday, June 6/2013 at 2:02 am

Hey! I read what you wrote about when you use a setting powder your under eye make up looks undone. I have the SAME problem! I have hereditary dark circles that are pretty bad and everyone always says prime and/or use a setting powder.
Like you, when I use a setting powder, my under eye make up ends up looking dull, complete opposite of the look I’m going for obviously! I actually use MUFE hd translucent powder, and I’ve also tried Laura merciers translucent powder, same result using both. But I also hate when my under eye conceal looks shiny! My under eye concealer always settles into my lines as well, even if I use a primer. Help!

Monica
Friday, January 27/2012 at 12:00 am

Loving the MUFE HD fndn as well & their primer, both great products. And your skin always looks flawless at events:)

Lauren
Friday, January 27/2012 at 12:29 am

I’m with Lucy wondering about Bobbi Brown’s under eye corrector! Thanks for your tips!

Lucy
Friday, January 27/2012 at 7:36 pm

I think I’m gonna go check it out soon. I’m even close to Michelle’s level of expertise, but I’ll write back and let you know what I think!

Lucy
Friday, January 27/2012 at 7:37 pm

*not even close*

Jenna
Sunday, January 29/2012 at 2:34 am

I NEVER put anything on pimples that isn’t there to help cure it, I prefer to get rid of it than put something on that could make it worse or prolong the pimple. For me, getting rid of it as quickly as possible is more of a concern than having one on my face. Its probably a bit ocd, I just can’t stand the thought of makeup and the oils in it getting into the pimples, like they’re additional germs that will make my face explode with more!

But I do cover dark circles. My results have gotten much better now I’m using your brush/finger and the triangle techniques! Thanks for those!

Sophie
Sunday, January 29/2012 at 2:41 pm

Nicole Kidman’s makeup artist should be shot. Or at least, give Nicole a mirror. What a disaster.

Iconic look
Monday, January 30/2012 at 8:06 am

This Nicole Kidman photo shows one of the worse Hollywood make-up disaster. This powder should have been blended in or wiped away once completing work. I wonder how much did she pay for this?

Laura S.
Monday, August 20/2012 at 2:02 pm

Seems I read quite some time ago when that pic first showed up that she did that herself…sans a mirror, applying a touch-up just before popping out of the limo into public view.

Lisa
Monday, January 30/2012 at 2:12 pm

Has anyone tried the Sally Hansen Natural Beauty under-eye concealer that’s pink? Always wondered if that works…..

ana p
Monday, January 30/2012 at 4:16 pm

I think that Nicole Kidman shot is actually fake. I think someone digitized it in to make her look like a coke head. It’s SO obvious, I think she would at least feel it, even if she couldn’t see it. Just sayin’…..

Tracy@Beauty Reflections
Monday, January 30/2012 at 4:55 pm

It’s actually one of those new kind of Silica Face Powders that look undetectable in person, but show up in flash photography. Nobody knew they did that back then-that’s not a recent happenstance.

hmill
Tuesday, January 31/2012 at 12:26 am

Hi Michelle,
Really want to try MUFE HD foundation and concealer. Which shade do you wear? Our complexions are very similar. Thanks

nina
Wednesday, August 1/2012 at 1:44 pm

SKIN PEALED OFF A ZIT & LEFT A SHINY RED SPOT.i’VE TRIED “EVERYTHING” & NOTHING WILL STICK TO IT,TO CONCEAL IT!

Kate
Tuesday, August 7/2012 at 9:58 am

I’m excited to try all these tips! Thanks :) Hope it works as well for me!

Kate
Tuesday, August 7/2012 at 9:59 am

Oh and to answer one of your questions.. in order of most annoying…

1) cold sore
2) zit (depending on location, may move to #1)
3) dark circles

Kandace Miller
Friday, August 10/2012 at 7:22 pm

Do you have any idea on how to cover up white acne spots on the chest and arm area? I’ve yet to find the right color concealer! I’ve even thought as far as considering buying theatrical makeup f that’s used for scar/tattoo cover up but I don’t even know where to begin with which kind to buy! Any advice or suggestions would be more than appreciated! Thank you!

jay
Sunday, August 12/2012 at 4:19 pm

One or two spots a month, count your lucky stars, I have pcos the hormones I have are really crazy and I have tons of pimples at 29 years old!!

Monica
Saturday, September 8/2012 at 9:01 pm

I have pcos, too. I drastically reduced my wheat intake and stopped using soap. I hardly ever get pimples anymore. I’ve written more details on my blog, of you’re interested. You can also contact me to ask more questions if you’d like.

Katherine
Thursday, August 16/2012 at 9:36 am

For larger pimples I will use the technique stated above and then add a small dot of eyeliner/ eyebrow pencil, the same color of my other freckles/ beauty marks. If you place the dot off center of the pimple instead of the direct center and set with a powder it looks very natural!

Sick&tired
Thursday, August 23/2012 at 2:37 am

I’m only 18 and I have dark circles.. Like super dark… And all the make up has caused wrinkles. Now the make up creases up under my eyes. I can’t get it to stop no matter what do, it turns out Daley and creased withing 40 mins if applying. Help?

cassie mercer
Friday, January 18/2013 at 8:56 pm

It sounds as if the under eye circles and wrinkles could both be caused by dehydration. The only reason I know this is because I have the same problem myself. Drink lots of water, make sure you’re using a moisturizer twice a day and a primer before makeup. try not using powder (it tends to settle into lines in the face that may not even appear before you put on makeup). If you have to use powder, make sure you wait for your makeup to “set” for at least 5 minutes then use sparingly with a big fluffy brush instead of an applicator that comes with the compact.

Kristen
Thursday, January 24/2013 at 9:52 pm

Sick&tired,
I use MAC Pro Longwear Concealer. It is amazing. Any concealer in a “pot” should not be used for under eye circles. I am 23 and seriously have the WORST dark circles ever. Any of the pot concealers (my fav is Erase Paste by Benefit) creases under my eyes and causes that wrinkly look. It never mattered if I set it or not. It look WONDERFUL when I first did it but after a few minutes, it would be in my creases.
Anyways… I just recently tried the MAC Pro Longwear concealer and it is seriously amazing. It is only $18! It lasts ALL day and it doesn’t crease. Well, I take that back. I do have to fix creases once (about 5 minutes after I apply) but, once it dries I no longer do.
I seriously suggest you try this concealer. And stay away from the “pots” of concealer for undereyes!!

From one raccoon to another! (at least that is how I feel thanks to my hereditery dark circles!) Lol Hope that helps!

Paula haigood
Monday, September 3/2012 at 9:56 pm

I have two big spolashs on each side of
my face. I can’t fine a foundation to cover
them up. I need help to fine an foundation
To cover them up.

Laura S.
Tuesday, September 4/2012 at 10:08 am

Until Michelle shows up to answer, you might try Estee Lauder’s Maximum Cover camouflage makeup. It is really good coverage but it is heavy. If you find it too heavy for other areas of your face, you can thin it a bit with a drop or 2 of moisturizer.

Stephanie
Sunday, September 9/2012 at 9:33 pm

Do you have any tips for covering facial scars on a child? I don’t want to cover them up, but other kids can be cruel.

Kimmie
Saturday, September 22/2012 at 4:27 am

For under dark or tired under eye circles I like to use a little concealer, (I use cover girl or maybelline) I use a sponge to pat it around the eye. Then I apply bare minerals “well rested” eye powder. This brightens a tired dark eye wonderfully.
For blemishes I use the same steps only I will use a green concealer stick. The green seems to take the redness right out of a blemish. I then cover up with bare minerals well rested and then carefully apply my regular make-up.
I always always start with maybellines’s “instant age reminder” primer as my base. It goes on very silky and leaves my skin feeling soft. It gives foundation a great canvas to start. It leaves my make-up looking flawless. I apply the opaque stick listed above to my lids before applying my shadows, it makes my shadow more blend able, brighter, and it lasts all day.
My fav shadow is milani’s sparkly powder base, followed by the creme shadow. It makes any eye color pop. Plus it last hours without needing a touch up.

Beth
Thursday, October 11/2012 at 2:14 pm

This is a question that I have asked several “Beauty Consultants”…., how does a mature women with winkles find and apply tinted or liquid foundation? I’m not trying to make wrinkles disappear but I don’t want them accentuated.

Any recs would be appreciated!

janie
Sunday, October 28/2012 at 9:29 pm

Didn’t work

Trish
Tuesday, November 6/2012 at 8:43 pm

I want to know what is good for baggy eyes! Mine are not super noticeable but enough to bother me and I have tried creams, cold water, cucumbers…It just doesn’t work for me.

Tatyn
Sunday, November 11/2012 at 11:50 pm

I love bye-bye under eye by IT cosmetics sold at drugstore.com for dark circles! I have genetic permanent dark circles, too. You can use it as a concealer, too. A tiny amount goes a looong way!

Lacuna
Tuesday, November 13/2012 at 4:42 pm

Is there any reason why, maybe just for a “big night out” the cold sore patch could not be used to cover a honking pimple? I’ve never had a cold sore or serious acne, but occasionally I’ll get a pimple. Of course, when I do it’s big, obvious and on a day when I have to either speak in public, have my picture taken or both.

I understand the patch may be medicated as cold sores are caused by a virus, but I’m just curious.

Mary
Saturday, November 24/2012 at 6:55 pm

Anyone with real knowledge of makeup would know that the Nicole Kidman photo has absolutely nothing to do with blending. It is a powder used by professional makeup artists to give a flawless appearance and to reduce shine either in person or on film, but it shows up in flash photography. People keep commenting about her as if she had no idea what she looked like. She did, because it didn’t look like that in person. It only did in that flash photo.

Saturday, November 24/2012 at 7:13 pm

I didn’t say it had to do with blending. Please go back and read the sentence again… I just said GO EASY on the HD powder. :) I am aware that it is only visible under flash photography.

Alice
Monday, November 26/2012 at 9:31 am

Love the hint about triangulating under eye concealer .
Will try today- great hints!

Stacy Ulm
Thursday, November 29/2012 at 11:13 pm

Did Nicole fire her makeup artist? White finishing powder+flash from photographer=funny picture ha ha!!!

Kathy Dickson Thomas
Sunday, December 2/2012 at 8:09 pm

Where can I find these types of Makeup? What stores carry them? Please let me know. Thank You. Kathy

Hbaby
Monday, December 10/2012 at 10:10 pm

DARK CIRCLES ARE THE WORST! Everyone has acne, but dark circles make you look like an ogre. Cold sores can be nasty, but luckily i don’t get them. I love the triangular method! I cannot believe I didn’t find it earlier! Thanks!

Hbaby
Monday, December 10/2012 at 10:12 pm

PS: physician’s formula is my favorite concealer. I get a twin pack with regular concealer and a more yellow color. You can buy them at Wal Mart or a drug store.

nnh
Friday, December 21/2012 at 3:06 pm

I have horrible acne. severe acne all the time not just a few zits a few times a month. my entire face and neck is covered with them and I have the really red scars and zits. along with dark circles and redness under my eyes. sometimes makeup helps but sometimes it doesn’t and I have tried that foundation and it never worked for me. what else should I do?

Erin
Sunday, December 30/2012 at 11:24 pm

I have an interesting question. Any thoughts on how to cover up tattoos? I’d like to wear a dress at some point, but I was a teenager once… I have a few tattoos on my legs. Nothing huge, but they would be very noticeable in a dress. Is there anything out there to cover those all day in a dress?

Sarah
Monday, February 18/2013 at 11:14 am

When the time comes to conceal a tattoo for a job interview or other important event. Use a red lipstick covering the outlines, pat on a light concealer, using a setting powder pat on your skin tone concealer, and clean up any mistakes using baby wipes to remove excess concealer. Use a fluffy brush and smooth it out with foundation powder.

Lee Ann
Saturday, January 12/2013 at 9:38 am

All if the above are annoying, but the dark circles are the worst. Cold sores and zits go away, but my dark circles are permanent since they are hereditary.

LuAnn
Tuesday, January 15/2013 at 11:07 am

I am 55 years old. My skin is not dry but is very dull. I have tried brighteners but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions.

Alyssa
Friday, February 1/2013 at 11:06 pm

Luann- I recommend investing in a Clarisonic and using it nightly with your face wash. Additionally, try using a retinol product 2-3 times a week. Your skin should look radiant in about 5 weeks.

Kat
Sunday, February 3/2013 at 3:10 am

I have a birthmark that is dark purple and directly under my nostril. How would I cover this up? In pictures it looks like I have a great big dirt spot and is very embarrassing.

Jane
Tuesday, February 12/2013 at 10:59 am

Adding one thing to the acne cover up: La Roche Posay Cicaplast not only helps heal a zit, but if it is popped or a bit scabby (sorry, ew I know) covering it with a bit of Cicaplast before applying any make up makes for a smooth surface that will take the make up much better!

Haven Journal
Monday, February 18/2013 at 6:02 pm

I struggle with acne…even as an adult! So covering up pimples is just part of my everyday routine. In your article you said you put on the liquid foundation first and then apply concealer. I have always done the opposite, and of course I am no make-up expert :-) What is the benefit or difference to applying foundation first and then concealer? Thanks!

Ashley
Friday, February 22/2013 at 11:48 pm

I’ve always done the concealer first, than foundation, but lately, I have been doing the opposite. I find that it covers my acne and acne scars better! Not sure what the difference is, exactly, but maybe it’s the fact that the foundation (or powder that I use) messes up the concealer a bit and then it doesn’t provide as much coverage. Just my input. I’m no expert!

Liz
Saturday, March 16/2013 at 9:38 am

The difference is in saving you a lot of time and effort. Your foundation can cover significant number of imperfections without additional help. And if you have blemishes or whatever else that need more coverage, then you conceal them.

Marielle
Monday, February 25/2013 at 10:07 pm

I have a process of putting vitamin e lotion on my skin then using liquid Concealer on a zit or under my eyes. I also put highlighter cream under my eyes because I have chronic insomnia which causes me to have bags under my eyes. But then I use specially colored cover up powder. Use normal powder then conceal my zit once more with the Concealer. Afterwards, I use a homemade setting translucent powder made up of cornstarch and cocoa powder. It all works wonders to make skin look flawless and oil free,

Tiffpaige
Tuesday, February 26/2013 at 7:04 pm

Zits are the worst! I never get cold sores ever, so I wouldn’t know if they are hard to cover up or not. But I have dark circles under my eyes and I never knew about the triangle method, I’m excited to try this tomorrow morning!(:

lyla mclean
Friday, March 8/2013 at 4:41 pm

Are the products that you recommend tested on animals? I would rather a blemished face with dark circles than have some innocent animal suffer for my beauty. I hope that you agree.

Ann
Wednesday, March 13/2013 at 1:16 pm

Worse is if it wad tested on aborted babies .

lyla mclean
Saturday, March 16/2013 at 3:04 pm

What a bizarre reply to a simple question, I take it then that you have no qualms about animals being used in testing cosmetics even though some of the tests are agonizing. Don’t bother to reply. I’m unsubscribing as you have lost my respect with your rudeness and irrelevancy.

Saturday, March 16/2013 at 4:27 pm

Just to clarify Lyla, Ann does not work for BEAUTY EDITOR – she is a fellow reader.

LL
Wednesday, March 27/2013 at 9:46 pm

So you would rather it be tested on……humans?

Shoshanna
Saturday, March 16/2013 at 1:08 pm

Though I suffer from all three of these, I have to say I hate dark circles the most, because they’re always there for me. I used to wear a lot of eyeliner and my friends thought my eyes were so dark because it smeared, but then I stopped and they realized it wasn’t. These tips are great; I’d never been able to cover them before as well as I can now. One thing I’d like to add about cold sores, which I get just about monthly, is that when it first start to emerge, dabbing toothpaste has to be paste, can’t be gel) will dry it out and can kill it over night.

Kim
Monday, March 18/2013 at 4:53 am

Do you have a YouTube channel? I’m learning (during middle age) how to apply make up. I would live to see videos of your tips. I came across this on pintrest

ShibaGirl
Saturday, March 30/2013 at 10:52 pm

Thanks for the great info. and product recommendations.

Do you have any idea the name/color of the lip gloss used in the image. That is exactly what I’ve been searching for.

Kathy
Wednesday, April 3/2013 at 8:38 pm

Zits and scars are bad but can you cover Lupus rash???

lyla mclean
Wednesday, April 3/2013 at 11:20 pm

You didn;t answer me when I asked if the products you are recommending are tested on animals.

Coop's Mom
Monday, November 18/2013 at 5:41 pm

Another reader commented on this early on.

Lorra
Thursday, January 26/2012 at 4:01 pm
I like that the HD products do not use animal testing as well.

Great tips – Thank you.

Cailyn
Thursday, April 11/2013 at 10:27 pm

Dark circles are the worst. Mine are genetic and very dark. It doesn’t matter how much concealer I use because I still look exhausted, which is never ideal. So far the two best concealers I’ve used are Benefit’s Erase Paste and Lancome’s Maquicomplet Concealer.

Miss G
Monday, April 22/2013 at 11:09 am

You could always do the research yourself.

Ali
Tuesday, April 16/2013 at 9:23 pm

I am a teen and this info was so useful! I look way better in the morning than I used to! Your blog was GOLD for me! :)

Tiffany
Tuesday, April 16/2013 at 10:34 pm

Thank you so very much for this information on how to make me look better. I am relieved that I found information that actually works…(AND doesn’t take up too much time!) :) It is really important for me to always try to look my best especially since I work at a hospital as a nurse. People are always asking me if I feel okay…. :/ Now, people want are telling me I look revived and healthy, and they’ve been asking me how I did it! :) Thank you so much for this information! I use it daily!!!!!! I appreciate it!!!! :) :) :) :)

Jenifer
Saturday, April 27/2013 at 9:37 am

Hi, love your info but was wondering if you have any tips on how to cover up on rosasha.

Ally
Monday, May 6/2013 at 2:43 pm

OMG it looks like you could literally replace ALL of these makeup products with CoverFX… works AMAZING for anything… (I’m a makeup artist) and although these products you mention are nice, they don’t do the same camouflage job! Trust me on this one… you’ll never go back :) Also, formulas are safe, and they have the leaping bunny ears (meaning not tested on animals!!!)

Coop's Mom
Monday, November 18/2013 at 5:44 pm

While the coverfx brand does well with camouflaging, I have sensitive skin and coverfx makes my skin itch. I love MUFE products.

Kathie Prather
Thursday, May 16/2013 at 8:26 pm

I love these tips. Is Bobbie Brown concealer any good? I have one bag and purple circle, the other is just purple. I will try you tips and techniques!

Trudy
Monday, May 27/2013 at 3:45 am

I’m Asian with med dark skin, also, I have Lupus. Most Lupus patient has dark patches on our cheeks that similar to butterfly shape. Please, give me advice on how to cover them. Thank you

Sophia
Sunday, July 14/2013 at 4:17 am

Omg Ilya, if you really must know why don’t you just do the search yourself instead of pushing the readers into awkward positions? This is a beauty site for everyone who’s interested in beauty remember? Anyway great tip, but maybe could explain more on color corrector. Am in my 20s,dry skin with yellow olive complexion. If you have really severe dark circles, I personally feel orange-y color corrector is worth investing. Mine’s from Laura mercier, the one in the pot. Apply corrector, then concealer, in my case is the NARS undereye illuminating concealer (or sheer glow, I can’t really remember) then lightly dust with stila treatment loose powder(the finest ever!) or bare minerals foundation in warm golden shade for me, but could be different for other skin tones. TIP: too yellow concealer doesn’t really work for ppl with really bad circles I think. The orange-y corrector will set off Any purple or green hues from ur dark circles actually.

Becca
Saturday, September 7/2013 at 11:43 am

I have acne prone skin and have just started on the Proactiv system. When I first wash my face my skin feels tight and dry but then appears extremely oily a few hours into the day (annoying). Now, with the Proactiv, my skin is pretty red due to the Benzoyl Peroxide on my sensitive skin. I have tried various makeup brands and different application techniques but just can’t seem to get the coverage that I desire. I am by far no expert, so it is highly possible that I am doing something wrong or could at least be doing something different. I also do not like the idea of spending $190 on the above mention products. Are the high end products really necessary to get the best coverage or are there some less expensive alternatives? I have just grown up to be frugal/ “cheap” and am not too keen on spending that much money on makeup. Should I splurge in order to get the “flawless” look I am after?

Laura
Tuesday, March 25/2014 at 1:58 pm

Can I just say… THANK YOU FOR THIS! I have a date coming up and, of course, I had to have a zit right between my brows. This’ll definitely help, though it’d be even nicer to know why I don’t break out on the rest of my face, but only between my freaking brows. Ugh.

Netra
Tuesday, June 24/2014 at 5:32 pm

Hi Michelle, this is my second question to you. I would like to know how to cover pits on face with makeup, meaning how to apply foundation to make the face appear like it had no pits. Thanks in advance.