Just add water Supermodels swear by it and it makes your skin glow. Yep, today we’re talking H2O—and how to drink more of it!

woman drinking water Supermodels swear by it and it makes your skin glow. Yep, today were talking H2O—and how to drink more of it!

Raise your hand if you can’t believe it’s already February! We’re almost a month and a half into 2012, you guys! For me, a new year means one thing: new resolutions, and trying my best to stick to ‘em! Michelle made hers—did you? I kicked off last month with a massive list of ways to make my life better—and I’ll be the first to admit, some were easier to write down than to actually follow through with.

My number one resolution, however—the one I’m totally committed to and am DEF going to make happen? Drink. More. Water. Now, I know I’ve told you in the past that I try to drink lots of it—it was one of my beauty tips back when you first met me—and I do try, but for some reason, getting those 8-10 glasses (some say 11-12) in EVERY DAY is something I’m awesome at for a week… and then I slowly start to regress. It’s sad, really. Because water is super important for our bods. Not to mention our skin, energy levels, detoxification and digestion. I know it. You know it. Now why can’t we just DO it?

If you’re in the habit of reaching for a Diet Coke or a coffee instead of a glass of H2O, read on. Or, if you’re simply like me and need some motivation, I’ve got you covered. We’re in this together!

Water: It does the body good

tap water Supermodels swear by it and it makes your skin glow. Yep, today were talking H2O—and how to drink more of it!

Let’s talk a a bit about WHY you need water, if I haven’t convinced you already. It makes up over half of your body weight and it’s 100 percent necessary to help do things like flush out toxins and regulate your metabolism. In fact, every system in your body depends on it, and when you don’t drink enough—well, you do the math! Did you know that once you feel thirsty, your body is already experiencing dehydration? That’s why it’s important to sip from a water bottle or glass throughout the day. When your body is properly hydrated, you experience better health, your skin looks better and you have more energy!

Although it’s important to drink water all day long, one of the best times to gulp it down is first thing in the morning. After a night of sleep, body tissues are dehydrated and need a boost. Clean water with a squeeze of lemon provides the body with hydration, anti-oxidants and electrolytes. It jump-starts your digestion for the day, and maximizes energy function so much better than stimulants like coffee (which is a diuretic).

ALSO. If hot models swear by it, that’s kinda good enough for me. (Gotta love Erin Wasson at the end of this video!)

So you wanna drink more H20? Here’s how…

1. Always carry a water bottle

But wait! Not all bottles are created equal! Don’t even THINK about picking up a plastic water container with a 1, 3, 6 or 7 on the bottom. Bisphenol-A, or BPA, a toxic chemical found in these plastics, disrupts hormones and is incredibly harmful to reproductive systems. There’s also concern about prostate disease, breast cancer and behaviour problems in children. Read here for more info on that.

bkr winter line 1024x520 Supermodels swear by it and it makes your skin glow. Yep, today were talking H2O—and how to drink more of it!

Bkr bottles (see above; aren’t they pretty?) are made from glass, and as soon as I noticed celebs like Jessica Alba, Hilary Duff and Olivia Wilde (Michelle’s beauty icon) sporting theirs, I knew I had to get my hands on one.

Hilary Duff water Supermodels swear by it and it makes your skin glow. Yep, today were talking H2O—and how to drink more of it!

Besides being good for the environment, they’re totally cute and are protected by a silicone sleeve to prevent breakage. I used to always empty Perrier bottles and tote them around full of water, but a) they’re not as adorbs and b) I had to be way too careful with ‘em! Carrying a fun, stylish, easy-to-wash bottle around (filled with filtered tap water, natch—my mom’s a Nikken distributor so I get to test all the water filtration systems) makes me a BILLION times more inclined to keep sipping throughout the day.

If, however, you forgot your bkr at home, and are stuck in a convenience store hunting for bottled water, choosing wisely is key. I’m partial to Icelandic Glacial, ’cause not only is it the world’s first carbon-neutral certified water brand, but the water also comes from a certifiably sustainable water source AND has a naturally occurring pH level of 8.4. (FYI: Keeping your body alkaline is crucial to good health. Ever peed on pH paper? I have! Highly recommend if you wanna figure out your body’s pH. For reals.)

Oh! And Dior also uses the water in their Diorsnow products, so that’s gotta say something!

Christian Dior Icelandic Glacial Water Supermodels swear by it and it makes your skin glow. Yep, today were talking H2O—and how to drink more of it!

2. Make it fizzy

I love carbonated drinks, and that’s why in the past, I was drawn to pop (a.k.a. soda for you Americans). Yes, I’ve enjoyed a Diet Coke or two in my lifetime. But no more! (Neurotoxins? No, thanks!) After being gifted a Twist ‘n Sparkle for Christmas, I’ve become completely obsessed with making my own fizzy water.

There are a few options on the market, and they’re pretty reasonably priced—I love the brand we have, but I’ve heard SodaStream is great, too. It’s an amazing way to consume more water, because it tastes great and gives me the carbonation I crave—add a squeeze of lemon or lime, and I’m in heaven. I could drink glass upon glass.

3. Get creative

Sometimes I’m just not in the mood for plain ol’ water. It can get kinda boring. So, one of my favourite things to do is add flavours to it—spice it up a little! Fab additions include cucumber (very spa-like), basil, lemon, lime, slices of ginger (amazing for digestion and flavour), or mint! Let everything marinate in the water awhile, and then enjoy! If I were smart, I’d fill up two or three (glass) pitchers at the beginning of the week, add whatever I was in the mood for, and then stick them in the fridge for easy access.

cucumber basil water Supermodels swear by it and it makes your skin glow. Yep, today were talking H2O—and how to drink more of it!

4. Use reminders

I don’t know if you guys are iPhone users, but I was recently converted (sorry, Blackberry), and have had the best time exploring the App store! One of the coolest applications I’ve discovered is Waterlogged, which helps you track your daily water intake and set reminders to keep you on track. Or, there’s always the tried and true method of using sticky notes (I’m a huge fan). I put them up around the apartment—in the kitchen, at my desk, by my bed—to allow myself no excuses for forgetting.

sticky note Supermodels swear by it and it makes your skin glow. Yep, today were talking H2O—and how to drink more of it!

Tell me:

Do you drink 8-10 glasses of water a day?
When you do, do you notice a difference in your skin?
What tricks do you use to make water more exciting?

QuiteLight
Friday, February 10/2012 at 12:14 pm

I add lemon juice right to the bottle, with ice, it made all the difference in the world to me. From drinking NO water (I didn’t like the taste!), to drinking at least 2-3 large bottles a day.

About the bottle/BPA thing? I read the other day that the 7 plastic symbol actually stood for any plastic that didn’t fall into the previous 6 categories. So, BPA plastics would fall there, but so would non-BPA plastics that didn’t fall elsewhere. I was web-searching it regarding my beloved “7″ OTG Nalgene bottle. Might be best to check out each manufacturer’s specs on-line.

Elizabeth
Saturday, February 11/2012 at 12:32 am

Awesome about your lemon juice addition; I find that helps me, too! Interesting about the number 7 symbol! Will have to do some more research—thanks!

Thomas
Friday, February 10/2012 at 12:25 pm

This is such a good article. It was also one of my New Years resolutions, but, like you, it slowly dissipated after the first week… Till, co-incidentallty, my mum pointed out yesterday that recently I hadn’t been touching my water bottle for the whole school day. Gah! So, now its time for me to start again, and those BKR bottles look very interesting, but I think I’d definitely break it in seconds in my heaving Ted Baker schoolbag! Also the lemon is a good idea, I never thought of that before?

Huge fan, hyper-hair-colour-aware Thomas xx

Anahi
Friday, February 10/2012 at 3:09 pm

Hi Tom! I actually have one of these BKR bottles and I dropped it once by accident on the sidewalk and it didn’t break! Of course, it’s not recommendable to drop it, but the silicone sleeve did protect it that time. IO still have it and it’s fine. If you don’t have a lot of stuff in your school bag, your bottle will be fine. You could also put it on the side thing that some backpacks have, but don’t forget that it’s there when you drop your backpack on the floor if you’re the kind of person who does that (as am I).

Elizabeth
Saturday, February 11/2012 at 12:31 am

Thanks, Thomas. Lemon water ROCKS! Try it! And as Anahi points out, bkr bottles are surprisingly resilient thanks to the silicone sleeve. (I’m a klutz, and I haven’t broken mine :)

Janay
Friday, February 10/2012 at 12:35 pm

Hi Elizabeth,

FAB article! I’m one of those people who has to be constantly reminded about drinking water. I always feel so much better when I keep properly hydrated so I don’t know why I find it such a struggle! It also helps me keep the migraines at bay. I love those bkr bottles, I am definitely going to have to get me one of those!

Ferris
Friday, February 10/2012 at 1:16 pm

Plastic is always bad period! Especially for the planet! I too LOVE seltzer water!
But it is much MORE important to get your water from fresh, raw fruits and vegetables! Just ask Dr. Murad! Water is also ultra purified through numerous cells when you get it from raw food! Plus you get all the nutrients too!

Elizabeth
Saturday, February 11/2012 at 12:29 am

You can definitely get some of your daily water intake from fresh fruits and veggies (yum) but will likely need to supplement with straight-up H2O for proper hydration… Again, however, everyone’s different!

Nomadic D
Friday, February 10/2012 at 1:56 pm

Great post! I wrote about this a bit back in august when I went on a crazy mission to find the best water bottle ever:

I settled on a Klean Kanteen, which I love, but then this winter I also picked up a Camelbak with the bite valve, and it is awesome. When you read reviews everyone says “this will make you drink tons more water” and I thought, how could it possibly? But it really does. Am I outing myself as the laziest person ever when I say it’s awesome not to have to lift the bottle to drink? haha… sad but true. I highly recommend it. And yes, I drink half a liter every morning, first thing while I read the news (with the camelbak you don’t have to ever take your eyes of what you’re reading).

The Twist n’ Sparkle is extremely exciting to me though, I’d never heard of it, and I love sparkling water so much I’m always wondering if there’s a way I can make it happen at home. My favorite is just plain sparkling water with a squirt of pure lemon juice. Delicious on a hot summer day!

Jenna
Friday, February 10/2012 at 2:42 pm

How awesome are the camelbak bottles? The double walled ones are especially cool (even if they don’t hold as much).

Nomadic D
Friday, February 10/2012 at 3:09 pm

Double-walled ones? News to me! Off to look it up right now… (though I do love the one I have oh so much!)

Jenna
Friday, February 10/2012 at 4:47 pm

They definitely sell them in Canada, I remember seeing them in whistler and Vancouver when I was there about 6 months ago.

Elizabeth
Saturday, February 11/2012 at 12:21 am

Definitely look into an at-home sparkling water contraption! They’re the best. Also, I REALLY want to get a Camelbak… My brother uses one when biking, but it had never occurred to me to wear it around the house! Genius!

Jenna
Friday, February 10/2012 at 2:48 pm

Another tasty way to get your water in is through caffeine free teas, like tisanes and rooibos teas. Your local DavidsTea will have plenty of options, my faves are their Bear Trap (is basically dried berries which you steep into tea), and Green and Fruity, which is a green rooibos tea and is know for its rehydrating properties (my pre-Christmas party hangover cure!). http://www.davidstea.com/green-and-fruity

Jenna
Sunday, February 12/2012 at 1:38 am

Oh, and I don’t work there, I live in Australia so the closest store is about 14,000km away. Just a mildly obsessed fan!

Kaitie Tee
Friday, February 10/2012 at 3:05 pm

I’m so glad you mentioned sparkling water. I bought a SodaStream a couple weeks ago and I’m drinking way more water now than I used to. There’s just something so refreshing about the bubbles!!

Elizabeth
Saturday, February 11/2012 at 12:19 am

Totally! So refreshing!

berick
Friday, February 10/2012 at 4:53 pm

I hope you’ll realize that the “8 glasses a day” (and you’re suggesting more) is a totally-made-up number. Enough water, including what you get in your fruits and vegetables and other drinks, is important, but 8, or 10 or 11, has no science or medicine behind it at all.

eriyle
Friday, February 10/2012 at 10:41 pm

Yes, exactly this. Drink enough so you feel hydrated, but don’t force yourself to drink 10 glasses of water a day just because some models told you to.

Wanda
Saturday, February 11/2012 at 12:38 am

I think Elizabeth was using 8-10 as a guideline, just as many people, nutrisonists, doctors and health clinics do. Yes you can get some of your water intake from vegetables and fruit but not nearly enough to keep you hydrated. That number is not “made up” but based on an average that is recommded for males and females. But hey, if the book of Berick says you need less, then drink less.

Elizabeth
Saturday, February 11/2012 at 12:17 am

Hi Berick & Eriyle,
I’m definitely not making any recommendations for anyone but myself. Drinking water and staying hydrated is important (we all know that), but the amount each person needs varies (for a multitude of reasons), as you’ve pointed out. I personally use this http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283 as a reference, but you need to do what feels right for you. :)

Jenna
Saturday, February 11/2012 at 1:53 am

Elizabeth – wearing a pack with a bladder is one option, but they do marvellous water bottles too, definitely worth a look, they also come in some pretty cute colours.

Vero
Saturday, February 11/2012 at 7:26 pm

I *need* to drink lots of water, because if I don’t, I break out and get headaches (took me years to figure that out, but I finally did!). I don’t know if I just don’t retain water, but I can get a headache by the end of the day if I don’t drink lots of it, and I pee really often. For those reasons, water and I have a love/hate relationship, but I deal with it because it keeps me pain-free and clear-skinned!

Jenna
Sunday, February 12/2012 at 1:35 am

Vero – me too! I always know if I haven’t had enough water as my eyes start getting tired and my brain feels like its straining when I think (signs of an oncoming throbbing headache!). I always make sure I drink a couple of glasses of water at that stage and the hints of the pain disappear! Its great to know water has painkilling properties! :)

B
Sunday, February 12/2012 at 4:17 am

I will never understand people who don’t like water because it “tastes boring.”
Water is a must for me. I have to drink at least 2 litres of it every day, otherwise I feel weird.

sabrina
Sunday, February 12/2012 at 12:06 pm

just an fyi that if you carbonate your water, it becomes more acidic as CO2 is acidic and the article mentions the importance of keeping oneself alkaline… BUT it may be the lesser of 2 evils if it makes you drink more

Kat
Monday, February 13/2012 at 3:05 am

I always wondered, if you brew a cup of tea (the good ones, organic greens and non-caffeinated rooibos mostly), does it count as water as well? or because it’s warmed and infused with something else it looses its “water” properties?

Jenna
Monday, February 13/2012 at 3:46 am

I’m no expert at all, just an highly enthusiastic tea drinker, but from my understanding the major baddie in tea is caffeine. Tea (that’s black tea) and coffee have around the same amount of caffeine per kilo, but you have less tea per cup than coffee i.e. you usually have about 2g of tea per cup, whereas for coffee I think its about 6-8g, so you get much more caffeine. So you’re already getting less caffeine in tea!

For rooibos and herbal teas that don’t have any caffeine, I can’t see why it would be any different to drinking water with lemon juice, cucumber or any other flavour. The heat shouldn’t make any difference either. I usually count the herbal and rooibos cups as water intake as there is nothing in the cup thats bad for me, just water flavoured with herbs and fruit.

P.S Sorry about the information overload, I’m a bit enthusastic about tea!

Lisa
Monday, February 13/2012 at 2:56 pm

I love tea too!! I also think that the water in low-no caffeine tea counts. I often make a big pot of tea and drink it all pretty quickly, and end up going pee a lot. This tells me that my system is being flushed out….. so I’m pretty sure that counts!

Jhalisa
Wednesday, August 29/2012 at 12:28 pm

I read this and I could hear your voice. LOL! Like exactly how you would say it. Funny, huh?