Grammys ’12: Check out these celebrity beauty dos and don’ts—straight from the red carpet!

Grammy Awards 2012 - Rihanna

I’ve been on deadline for a magazine story (it’s coming, K!), so I didn’t have time to catch the Grammy Awards last night. But checking out the red carpet pics this morning, my first reaction was: Wowza! They really threw beauty eds a bone here!

By that I mean there’s lots we need to talk about. Rihanna is blonde. Katy is blue. Fergie and Kate Beckinsale might have the most beautiful complexions I’ve ever seen (depressingly so). Adele does glamour hair and makeup better than anyone. And I’ve found a new way to hate on Carrie Underwood. (I know, I know, her husband is hot and he’s one of us… but STILL.)

Here’s my beauty debrief, dos and don’ts style. Shall we?

DO show off glowy, flawless skin like Fergie

Grammy Awards 2012 Fergie Grammys 12: Check out these celebrity beauty dos and donts—straight from the red carpet!

As y’all know, I’ve not been so kind to Fergie in the past for various beauty transgressions… but can we just agree that in the last, say, 18 months or so she has looked better than evah? I don’t know if there’s been some magically subtle plastic surgery or cosmetic procedures involved—if there was, I cannot detect them—but something about her just looks amazingly fresh and well-rested. Or maybe she just looks younger because this makeup is more about enhancing her incredible skin instead of drawing attention to itself. (Note to self: keep up with the minimal makeup routine.)

DON’T do your hair in a tight bouffant—a BLUE bouffant—like Katy Perry

Grammy Awards 2012 Katy Perry Grammys 12: Check out these celebrity beauty dos and donts—straight from the red carpet!

I’m just going to assume that Katy’s in a post-breakup depression, because that’s the only explanation for the continuous train wreck of bad hair, makeup and wardrobe choices. But especially hair. I was never 100 percent down with this whole “hair colours not found in nature” trend, but I was willing to ride the wave for a while. Now? I’m totally over it. Plus, I just feel like it’s all so CAMP—the tight, ’50s-style bouffant and the candy lipstick—and we’ve seen it all before. Katy, please hit up your friend Rihanna for some tips on how to do red carpet style that is both interesting and flattering. ‘Kay? P.S. You’re better off without what’s-his-name. Ew.

DO work the Old Hollywood thing like Adele

Grammy Awards 2012 Adele Grammys 12: Check out these celebrity beauty dos and donts—straight from the red carpet!

Obviously, it was Adele’s night… and I can’t think of better hair and makeup to go with. Can you? This is flawless: the Marilyn Monroe hair, the strong brows, the liquid liner, the lashes and the matte red lips. It’s such a literal Old Hollywood look that not everyone could carry it off—but Adele’s obviously got a sophistication that her peers don’t have. (Did you know she’s only 23? Like, just a year older than Taylor Swift? Crazy.)

DON’T wear Kardashian eyelashes like Carrie Underwood

Grammy Awards 2012 Carrie Underwood Grammys 12: Check out these celebrity beauty dos and donts—straight from the red carpet!

I’ll just let you have a moment. To take in those spider lashes, I mean. Aren’t they something? Actually, maybe I’m insulting the Kardashians by making a comparison. Now, I know Carrie was performing, and stage makeup is usually a little over-the-top so as to make your features stand out. But this is ridiculous. Rihanna and Katy and Taylor all sang too, and were THEIR eyelashes this scary? Nein, nein, nein. That said, I am okay with the hair. The foundation, however, looks way too heavy and orange. Carrie, you should know better than this by now.

DO style your ‘fro like Kelly Rowland

Grammy Awards 2012 Kelly Rowland Grammys 12: Check out these celebrity beauty dos and donts—straight from the red carpet!

This was one of the cutest looks of the night for me. Remember when Gwen Stefani wore her hair like this? Yeah, I’m still obsessed with it. I wish all my curly-haired friends would do it. Also highly approve of the brows, and the navy eyeliner underneath the lower lashes. Great job, Kell.

DON’T wear a tight pompadour like Alicia Keys

Grammy Awards 2012 Alicia Keys Grammys 12: Check out these celebrity beauty dos and donts—straight from the red carpet!

Okay, time for my theory of pompadours. I’m not opposed to hairstyles with some height at the front. Not at all, in fact—when Amber Heard and Dianna Agron do it, the look is seriously gorgeous. But their execution is quite different from what’s going on with Alicia here. You see, Alicia’s pomp is just too tight, too smooth, too high. It’s missing the texturized feel… AND the edgy makeup that should accompany it. Something bolder needed to happen on the eyes. So close but no cigar.

DO channel a young Jennifer Aniston like Julianne Hough

Grammy Awards 2012 Julianne Hough Grammys 12: Check out these celebrity beauty dos and donts—straight from the red carpet!

Doesn’t Julianne look like Jennifer here? I can’t get over the resemblance. And Jen should probably watch out, because Julianne’s about to steal her title as the reigning hair queen of Hollywood. Just like I went gaga over Julianne’s tousled lob at the People’s Choice Awards last month, I’m in beauty heaven with this straight, centre-parted style too. Girl has GREAT hair. Notice the seamless colour transition from roots to ends (if this isn’t natural, then it’s what you should aim for if you’re still wanting something Ombré-ish). And also, the ends are really, really blunt. I’ve been pro-blunt ends for years thanks to my hairdresser Bill Angst, so it’s nice to see the look really taking off. Yep, you heard it here: it’s a 2012 trend.

DON’T let your gym routine affect your face like Gwyneth Paltrow

Grammy Awards 2012 Gwyneth Paltrow Grammys 12: Check out these celebrity beauty dos and donts—straight from the red carpet!

I always get in trouble when I body snark, so I’ll try to keep this brief. I’m just a little alarmed at this pic because it looks like someone’s been spending waaay too much time with Tracy Anderson. Gwyneth looks terribly gaunt. That is all.

DO go blonde in a sexy, shaggy way like Rihanna

Grammy Awards 2012 Rihanna Grammys 12: Check out these celebrity beauty dos and donts—straight from the red carpet!

Just when you think you can’t be wowed anymore on the red carpet—yo, thanks to Katy Perry I’ve had serious hair fatigue—along comes Rihanna. I am SO down with this hair. The colour, the style, everything. Again, it’s another look I wish my curly-haired friends would attempt for me. (Just kidding! Sort of.) I think the key to pulling off this colour with a dark skin tone is not just the tone of the blonde itself (i.e., warm), but also the few inches of roots to make it look more believable.

DON’T fight your age like Taylor Swift

Grammy Awards 2012 Taylor Swift Grammys 12: Check out these celebrity beauty dos and donts—straight from the red carpet!

Do we need to have a Taylor Swift intervention? Because she hurts me with these intermittent red carpet choices. Probably most of my pain with this one has to do with the dress—I loathe a high collar. And I guess if you’re wearing that kind of dress you really don’t have choice but to put your hair up. I just don’t think this look belongs on someone who is 22 years old and (unlike Adele) has this whole fresh-faced, innocent vibe. It’s not working for me.

DO wear pastel makeup like Kate Beckinsale

Grammy Awards 2012 Kate Beckinsale Grammys 12: Check out these celebrity beauty dos and donts—straight from the red carpet!

Like Fergs, Kate is showing off a complexion so perfect it’s really, really unfair. And her teeth! So I suppose when you’ve been blessed with such natural gorgeousness, it’s a heck of a lot easier to play with the most subtle makeup tones, since there’s nothing else to distract. For instance, the peach on her eyelids, and the shimmery lavender underneath, and then that soft rosy blush. Most of all I’m in love with the lip gloss, though. WANT.

DON’T wear lipstick (when a lip stain would’ve been better) like Lady Gaga

Grammy Awards 2012 Lady Gaga Grammys 12: Check out these celebrity beauty dos and donts—straight from the red carpet!

See how it’s smearing underneath that mask? Pro tip: Use a lip stain, Gaga.

DO go for simple and chic like Malin Akerman

Grammy Awards 2012 Malin Akerman Grammys 12: Check out these celebrity beauty dos and donts—straight from the red carpet!

I always love Malin, and there’s not much to say about this look except that I’m buying what she’s selling. If there was a lesson here, it would be this: if in doubt, smooth, side-parted hair is always appropriate. As is the classic combo of long lashes with glossy red (but not TOO red) lips.

DON’T wear the wrong shade of under-eye concealer like Nicki Minaj

Grammy Awards 2012 Nicki Minaj Grammys 12: Check out these celebrity beauty dos and donts—straight from the red carpet!

I know we already referenced the Kardashians in regards to Carrie’s false eyelashes… but can I talk about Kim now, and under-eye concealer? I called her out for having reverse-panda eyes a while back, but hers were nowhere near as offensive as what’s going on with Nicki here. I mean, the makeup in that area has totally changed her skin tone! Then again, these are just minor details when you make your entrance in an enormous red cape.

DO find your Life Cut (if not colour) like Kelly Osbourne

Grammy Awards 2012 Kelly Osbourne Grammys 12: Check out these celebrity beauty dos and donts—straight from the red carpet!

If I recall, none of us loved Kelly’s grey hair when she wore it in an updo at the SAGs. I’m still not pro-grey, but today I DO have some love to give this hairstyle. Really. The length is good, the soft waves are feature-flattering… and overall, she looks very, very pretty. Kelly, welcome to your Life Cut.

Tell me:

Which was your fave red carpet look of the night?
Which one is totally cringe-worthy?
Notice any other dos and don’ts from these pics? (Aside from, you know, the usual Gaga/Minaj wardrobe choices.)

Amy
Monday, February 13/2012 at 7:09 pm

am I the only one who thinks Rihanna resembles mid 80′s Goldie Hawn?! I do think she looks gorgeous though. But seriously…Nicki Minaj is doing all kinds of crazy with this one….the concealer around the eyes..and the eyebrows?! oh my! Love love love Adele I think she looks amazing with this new (?) hair :)

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 4:38 pm

Maybe that’s why I like her hair so much! Love Goldie Hawn.

anna
Saturday, March 10/2012 at 4:36 pm

I completely agree about Rihanna and the Goldie Hawn look. First thing I thought of was Overboard lol. I however am not a fan of this look on her.

Georgia
Monday, February 13/2012 at 7:23 pm

I love Adele. I always love Adele.
But I couldn’t get over that contouring…

Evelyn
Monday, February 13/2012 at 7:39 pm

I thought it was a bit much too!

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 4:39 pm

Yes, you have a point there. Could have done without.

megan
Saturday, November 24/2012 at 10:26 pm

snap! also did you suss the concealer moustache?!!!

Ashley Michèlle
Monday, February 13/2012 at 7:37 pm

All I have to say is… Kate Beckinsale. Wow – stunning.

Lucy
Monday, February 13/2012 at 8:18 pm

I agree! She was my favorite.

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 4:40 pm

She’s ridiculously gorgeous. I’m jealous.

Liz Stanley
Monday, February 13/2012 at 7:44 pm

Riri- As a hairstylist, its been a while since I’ve seen hair so damaged! Such a hot mess! Fergie- the amount of highlighter on her face, esp nose, is obscene.Adele- pure perfection. Gorgeous! Carrie- The narrow width of her eyebrows distracts from her otherwise beautiful face and makes her eyes look tiny! Alicia Keys- gorg hotel but she needs some eye makeup badly! Nikki M- What the WHAT is going on w her eyebrows? If you look closely it almost seems as if theres a white outline going all around her eyebrows. What is going on there? My faves were Adele and Julianne Hough.

Denise Moran
Tuesday, February 14/2012 at 8:26 am

I’m pretty sure Nikki has latex over her real eyebrows and then used the same too light concealer over that. The cheapie way to do it( for pencil thin brows 1920′s parties etc) is childrens glue stick. Then a layer of concealer over that and you can draw any( or lack their of) eyebrows you want.

I think Rhi was intentionally going for this look ala Stevie Nicks in the 70′s and early 80′s. I mean the majority of it is weave so she picked this texture. I think the darker more golden blonde on the bottom is the weave and the lighter on the top is hers.
I kind of love it. I’m feeling the whole era she’s channeling( she designed the dress based on the one Michelle Pfieffer wore in Scarface). So no Amy you’re not the only one. Goldie and Stevie had similar do’s.
Actually have an appointment today with my dear friend to get a similar( longer, no bangs cut) IF he’ll do it for me.
I’m obsessed with Fergies skin. Nothing really bothers me except Carries makeup and I wish Adele hadworn a little less…

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 4:42 pm

Maybe it’s my blonderexia but Rihanna’s damage doesn’t bother me at all…

Lucy
Monday, February 13/2012 at 8:16 pm

Fergie’s nose looks like an oil-slick, though I do agree that this was the best that she’s looked in a very long time. Carrie’s makeup is just bad. I think her spider lashes bring out the worse in her eyesbrows. My favorite was Kate Beckinsale. Adele comes in a close second. Adele’s eyebrows look perfect!

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 4:43 pm

Wow, nobody liked Fergie’s shiny nose. I didn’t have a problem with it :)

Cassandra
Monday, February 13/2012 at 9:25 pm

I’m still reeling at how much Julianne looks like Jenn here! If her lips were thinner she’d seriously be her twin. I like the hair. I’ve been telling my stylists to stop that raggedy looking cutting technique they all use. I finally had to cut my own hair. Uh huh. Maybe now they’ll actually DO it for me, instead of ignoring me.

Kate looks uh-mazing. (As usual!)

The others leave me underwhelmed though Rhianna looks better than she did with that garish red hair.

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 4:44 pm

YES! Blunt cuts FTW!

Cassandra
Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 5:09 pm

I know, right?! I hope since it’s now coming back they’ll be all like, “You would look fabs with a blunt cut with long blunt layers!” Hahahaa.

The more I look at Rhianna the more I like this look, but I think she is one of the only people who could pull it off because of her strong ‘tude and presence.

I’d look like a crackhead if I had my hair like Rhianna’s.

Marionberry Style
Monday, February 13/2012 at 10:06 pm

Oh gosh – SUCH an amazing recap post! Great work. And I still can’t get over Carrie’s eyelashes. Seriously – who let her out of the house with those?! Also, right there with you regarding Taylor’s high collar. It’s just not youthful…it’s almost as if she was trying to channel Nicole Kidman or something…?

XO – Marion

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 4:45 pm

Yes, that dress was totally something Nicole would have worn. Didn’t it have a train as well? I totally don’t get it – I mean, it’s the Grammys, be a little edgy Taylor.

ava
Monday, February 13/2012 at 10:41 pm

I think Rhianna has such a beautiful face she can pull off almost any haircut. So jealous of Kate’s skin. Fergie a little shiny but she actually looks like really good. Very flattering haircut on Kelly O. Carrie way, way too much foundation, not even going to mention eyelashes.

Alyssa
Monday, February 13/2012 at 11:32 pm

I just about died when I saw Rihanna, I love that girl so much. She looks like perfection, Rihanna knows how to do edgy the right way-she still keeps it a little grounded. Kate beckinsale also looks incredible! When gwyneth came on stage that’s the first thing me and all my friends commented on-she looks so gaunt! And Taylor swift’s eyebrows disgust me, her look is all over the place

Meeka
Tuesday, February 14/2012 at 12:43 am

I must be the only person who liked Taylor Swift’s dress. I mean, I get what you all are saying, it is very… mature, but I still like it. For some reason it bothers me that Rhianna always has roots. Her hair can be freshly done but it ALWAYS has roots. Otherwise I thought she looked fan-freaking-tastic. I loved her red carpet everything. Kate Beckinsale is a favorite of mine, she always looks great. And Adele was perfection. How awesome for her that she looked so gorgeous on her big night. I think you’re right on about the rest of them :)

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 4:47 pm

I feel like the roots make the blonde more believable on her darker skin tone. Otherwise it might be too Barbie.

Gauri
Tuesday, February 14/2012 at 3:12 am

I ♥ the Marilyn Monroe hair on Adele! I find it hard to style though! :(

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 4:49 pm
Nomadic D
Tuesday, February 14/2012 at 8:58 am

Rihanna looks amazing. I absolutely LOVED this on her. I don’t even want to talk about anyone else, that’s how much I loved this.

Elaine R
Tuesday, February 14/2012 at 3:53 pm

oh god. Rihanna looks gorgeous. so much love!!!

Elaine K
Tuesday, February 14/2012 at 6:36 pm

So ture regarding Gwneyth..don’t they say that after a certain age women have to choose between their butt and their face (or something like that?) I suspect Gwneyth may have reached that age because that dress on her was amazing!

PS. What’s with the abundance of scarily artificial looking teeth? I know i’m on the other side of the water here and that our reputation for teeth is far from good but seriously?! Look at Fergie and Taylor. It actually gives me the heeby geebies a little bit to think how little of their real teeth are still left!

Ilse
Tuesday, February 21/2012 at 3:29 pm

Totally agree with your PS. I’m not saying having bad teeth is good, but I am very creeped out by that hollywood habit of having plastic-looking teeth.. Don’t know why. Makes their face even less personal. Also funny in films where someone playing a hobo smiles with that perfect set of white, almost blue teeth. Doesn’t make sense!
Katy Perry.. Hmm.. I want to wipe off that layer of foundation! Ugh! Never even mind the hair.. She needs to stop putting that pancake layer on.

I like Kelly’s hair! Not so sure about the colour though.. better than black, but I liked the blonde more.

Love that blunt cut on julianne! Looks very modern and cool. It’s definitely a trend I’m on board with!

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 4:51 pm

Oh yes the butt vs. face dilemma… I think that’s only for women who work out like crazy though. I would rather have a nice face and eat what I want. :)

I hear you on the teeth thing – did you see my veneers post? http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/05/30/i-got-porcelain-veneers-and-laser-gum-reshaping%E2%80%94and-heres-why-it-was-the-best-damn-beauty-investment-ive-ever-made/
So many dentists are crap. I like Kate B’s teeth though.

Phil
Friday, February 17/2012 at 4:14 pm

I really don’t like the gray on Kelly and neither the full on foundation cake she often does. Carrie looks creepy trying to mirror the overexposed K family

Loving Kate’s look and there’s some serious skin envy for someone at her age. She puts much younger celebs to shame with that glow!

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 4:52 pm

Totally! I can’t believe she’s 38! Just one year younger than Cameron Diaz but what a difference…

QuiteLight
Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 1:15 pm

Actually, I love Alicia Keys makeup! So flattering, unique (I count at least 3 subtle shades on her eyes, plus some gold sparkle) & still understated. (Understated gold sparkle – hard to do.) Love.

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 4:53 pm

Maybe it needs more lashes then? I can’t put my finger on what is bothering me… something is a bit blah.

janelle
Saturday, May 19/2012 at 11:54 am

Nicki manaj looks like zendaya

David Ridge
Wednesday, May 30/2012 at 5:21 pm

Did you all publish Rehanna’s pic backwards or was it intentintional that her tat read backwards?
†dajer™†