It’s Valentine’s Day! 10 beauty moves to make today (whether you believe in it or not)

Adriana Lima kiss

Poor Valentine’s Day. When it comes to holidays, this one kinda gets the shaft. Sure, there are some who L-O-V-E love it (many of them under age six, mind you). But just as many peeps either put so much pressure on V-day that it determines their entire state of mental health for the month of February… or simply refuse to celebrate and ignore it altogether.

I say boo. Whether you’re single, taken, or in that iffy no man’s land in between, there’s nothing wrong with giving yourself some beauty love today, AMIRITE? (Yeah, you got me: I’m going to beauty-hijack this holiday.) Here are 10 moves to make—and a whole bunch of new prodz to heart.

1. So you just got home from work. Lather up with this guy:

Fruits Passion Heart Shaped Glycerin Soap Its Valentines Day! 10 beauty moves to make today (whether you believe in it or not)He’s a glycerin soap from Fruits & Passion… and a steal at five bucks! (The scent is cranberry, BTW.)

2. Now I urge you to apply the most ridiculously decadent body cream you can find.

This one, from Rodial, is possibly the ultimate. I have the scent called Socialite (there are three); unfortunate name but how can you get mad at a body cream that has champagne and cassis notes? It was part of a holiday gift set so not sure if it’s still available… but if you can find, it will have you at hello.

Rodial Body Souffle Its Valentines Day! 10 beauty moves to make today (whether you believe in it or not)

Otherwise, I heartily endorse this new body butter duo from The Body Shop.

The Body Shop Body Butter Duo Vanilla Its Valentines Day! 10 beauty moves to make today (whether you believe in it or not)

One side is for dry skin and the other, normal. (If you have a date tonight, clearly the best scent is vanilla.)

3. Next, throw on a hydrating masque for 20 minutes or so.

Dermalogica just reformulated this one; I’m a longtime fan and promise it’s a goodie.

Dermalogica Skin Hydrating Masque Its Valentines Day! 10 beauty moves to make today (whether you believe in it or not)

4. Up late last night? Me too. Deal with under-eye bags with this:

Chella Anti Fatigue Eye Mask Kit Its Valentines Day! 10 beauty moves to make today (whether you believe in it or not)I know, it looks weird, but it’s an Anti-Fatigue Eye Kit from Chella and what you do is squirt the activator (on the left) on to the mask (on the right). Leave on 15 minutes, and you’ll rise, like a phoenix, sans bags and circles.

5. It wouldn’t be V-Day without painted nails in a pretty colour (and preferably a punchy name).

I like OPI’s Kiss Me On My Tulips from their Holland collection out this month:

OPI Kiss Me On My Tulips Its Valentines Day! 10 beauty moves to make today (whether you believe in it or not)

Note: It IS a fuchsia pink, and not all guys are as down with that as they are with red. Just FYI, if you’re primping to please. Suggested alternative:

Essie Size Matters Its Valentines Day! 10 beauty moves to make today (whether you believe in it or not)

Essie’s Size Matters. Ha.

6. Fresh breath is seksi.

I love, love, love this Marvis toothpaste:

Marvis Cinnamon Mint toothpaste Its Valentines Day! 10 beauty moves to make today (whether you believe in it or not)I can’t do mint, so the cinnamon mint is perfect, and très festive today, non?

Also, if you have a date, I don’t need to be the one to tell you that fresh breath should be a top priority. But I will anyway. Scope just came out with this new mouthwash (Dual Blast) and it’s crazy effective.

Scope Dual Blast Mouthwash Its Valentines Day! 10 beauty moves to make today (whether you believe in it or not)

At the media event back in the fall, we got to play science geek and test it against all kinds of disgustingly gross food odours—think garlic, tuna, shiz like that—captured in test tubes. I promise you, this stuff WORKS.

7. Need hair inspiration? Make like a Victoria’s Secret model.

Check the top of this post for the hair you should be channeling today. An excellent way to achieve it would be with this Kevin Murphy kit:

Kevin Murphy The Mermaid Hair Kit Its Valentines Day! 10 beauty moves to make today (whether you believe in it or not)

Mermaid hair! I die. Inside you get Hair Resort (a beach-look texturizing spray), a hair net (yeah, I’m not sure either), two different types of clips and step-by-step instructions.

8. Ignore the fact that it’s Fashion Week and go low-key with your V-Day makeup.

Trust me on this—today is not the day to rock out in bright green eyeshadow and orange lipstick. However, don’t misunderstand me. Of course you should wear makeup. In fact (like I always say) looking “natural” is way harder than it looks. (Silly boys! If you only knew all our voodoo tricks.)

Since the most important thing of all is flawless-looking skin, I must alert you to this new HD Complexion Kit from Make Up For Ever:

MUFE HD Complexion Starter Kit Its Valentines Day! 10 beauty moves to make today (whether you believe in it or not)

I’ve raved about the foundation and powder sufficiently that I probably don’t need to go into detail here, but with this kit you get the primer too (and kabuki brush, although that’s not what I recommend for the powder). Anyway, the bottom line is that this makeup DOES NOT LOOK LIKE MAKEUP. For serious.

Blush is also key, and today is a great excuse to pile it on (well, within reason) so as to replicate that “I’m in love” flush. This is the Happy Booster Glow & Mood Boosting Blush from Physicians Formula:

Physicians Formula Happy Booster Blushes Its Valentines Day! 10 beauty moves to make today (whether you believe in it or not)

I have the one on the right and it goes on really subtle. The hearts are also adorable, although I find the idea of it being able to boost your mood a bit silly, frankly. (But let me know if it does something for you!)

Finally, lashes. A much easier way to emphasize your eyes versus getting all potentially smeary with eyeliner and shadow.

L’Oreal Paris Voluminous False Fiber Lashes Mascara Its Valentines Day! 10 beauty moves to make today (whether you believe in it or not)

This is the Voluminous False Fiber mascara from L’Oréal Paris and like the name suggests, it actually adheres little fibres to your lashes to make them look longer. I’m still playing around with it, but I’m so far impressed at how it made my lashes look thicker/longer but still natural. I had one of these types of mascaras years ago from Caryl Baker, and it was even more dramatic. Probably you could get there with a lot of layering.

9. I wouldn’t normally say this, but… tread carefully with lipstick.

Just for today, okay? I know, I’ve been in this weird minimal makeup phase for ages now, and not wearing anything but lip balm. (Alert the beauty police!) But come now, everyone knows that if you’re smooching someone, piling on the bright lipstick ain’t a good idea. If you must have colour on your lips, how about this Revlon lip stain/lip balm duo instead?

Revlon Just Bitten Lip Stain and Balm Its Valentines Day! 10 beauty moves to make today (whether you believe in it or not)

10. Don’t forget to smell pretty.

And here is where I direct you back to my reveal last week of the scents men love—or, if you’re just loving yourself today, feel free to skip to the bottom of that post and indulge in all the man-unfriendly ones (like rose and powder and chypre).

Aquolina Pink Sugar Its Valentines Day! 10 beauty moves to make today (whether you believe in it or not)

Happy V-Day!

Tell me:

Are you celebrating or ignoring this holiday?
What’s your typical V-day beauty prep?
Have you tried any of these prodz yet?

Nomadic D
Tuesday, February 14/2012 at 2:38 pm

Size matters… hahaha

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 4:16 pm

I think that’s up there in the hall of fame for nail polish names!

Stacey
Tuesday, February 14/2012 at 3:16 pm

I dont do anything special on Vday that I wouldnt normally do, I couldnt be with someone if I didnt feel the love everyday.

I want this Pink Sugar you speak of, do you know anywhere in the US that has it?

Amberly Charter
Tuesday, February 14/2012 at 4:10 pm

Pink Sugar smells amazing! I used to buy it at Sephora and Ulta. It smells like a sexy version of cotton candy.

Love that blush from Physician’s Formula – so cute!

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 4:16 pm

Yes – should be at Sephora!

Kris Coghlan
Tuesday, February 14/2012 at 3:38 pm

I ignore this holiday. Every day of the year you should treat each other with love and respect.

dana
Tuesday, February 14/2012 at 4:42 pm

am dying to try out the kevin murphy pack. think i must go buy it now!

Jessica
Wednesday, February 15/2012 at 12:27 am

any idea where to buy it in Canada? i want it too!

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 4:27 pm
Susie
Tuesday, February 14/2012 at 4:50 pm

“For serious.” Nice Zoolander reference!

Fotos
Tuesday, February 14/2012 at 5:48 pm

I don’t celebrate valentines, even though I have have a boyfriend who wanted to take me out to dinner. We stayed home instead. :)

BUT I did shave from the neck down… so.. I guess I acre a little bit :P

christina
Tuesday, February 14/2012 at 7:08 pm

i bought the mufe hd foundation, but i haven’t been able to jump on the bandwagon yet. i’m trying, this is my second bottle! (returned the first) how much do you use, and how do you typically apply? i always feel like it’s either cakey or not enough coverage. please help!

jessica
Wednesday, February 15/2012 at 5:03 pm

i have suggested it to people with a variety of skin types but if you have very oily skin it might be a little harder to work with. I find applying it with clean fingers works the best. It also helps if you move it around in one direction rather than all over the place. Use small amounts at a time and build so that its not too thick or thin. this sounds like a lot of steps but i do it this way and i can complete it within two mins tops.

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 4:32 pm

Yes – agree it’s very buildable.

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 4:31 pm

Oh no! I put a tiny bit on the back of my hand and then apply with either a foundation brush or a concealer brush. I really only use it on areas where I have redness, mainly working from the centre of the face out (so around the nose, chin). I do a super-sheer application and blend really well.

I don’t find it cakey so maybe you are using too much? I still go in and touch up any blemishes etc with either more concentrated amounts of foundation or actual concealer. (I talked about that in this post: http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/10/17/if-you-can-get-away-with-just-applying-concealer-and-no-foundation-you-should%E2%80%94right-wrong/)

Gauri
Wednesday, February 15/2012 at 2:30 am

Thanks for sharing!!!

I’d like to try the Rodial body cream.

Janelle
Wednesday, February 15/2012 at 9:56 pm

The Kevin Murphy kit can only be found in a salon carrying the brand. I’m a stylist in a Winnipeg salon that works exclusively with his products, and let me tell you: once you try his stuff, you’ll never go back.

Also a HUGE fan of Revlon’s “Just Bitten” lip stains. It’s the only one I’ve found to last all day, and my man isn’t nervous about kissing my blindingly red lips while I’m wearing it because he knows it won’t transfer.

AND I got Pink Sugar as a gift a couple of years back but have always found the sickly sweet cotton candy scent a little too daunting. I decided to give it a chance after you mentioned that it improves after dry-down and I’m a fan. Great staying power, too.

Love love love your blog.

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 4:33 pm

Yay! I agree that Pink Sugar is initially a turn off… it’s so strong and, well, sugary. I’m glad I gave it a chance too – it’s absolutely my new favourite.

Lindsay
Thursday, February 16/2012 at 5:55 am

I bought just bitten lip stain a few years back and hated it! :( i was super drawn to it because of the balm on the other end, but it didnt stay on at all, when i went to the bathroom a few hours after leaving the house, I realised it had come off and left this awful stain line around the outside of my lips!
i frantically rubbed the remainder off and wondered how long it looked like that and no one told me :S i hadnt even eaten anything! super weird..

has anyone else found this? maybe it was just that my lips werent dry enough when i put it on? ive heard that is the case with stains sometimes….

ive tried a few long lasting lipsticks/stains and my favorite by far is covergirl, but even with that one- the red stays on, but another berry colored one i bought doesnt last nearly as long, guess it has something to do with the pigment of the color???

anybody have any other recommendations?

Elaine R
Thursday, February 16/2012 at 12:18 pm

If you’re in Canada, the Joe Fresh lip stains are fantastic!

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 4:34 pm

Have you tried the ones from Tarte? They are my faves! But obviously more $$$ than Revlon/Joe Fresh/CoverGirl…

Lindsay
Thursday, February 16/2012 at 5:57 am

oh and i also forgot to mention that with the just bitten, i got it in red and when it dried it was like bright fushia!! eek :S

christine
Thursday, February 16/2012 at 11:59 pm

Hi there! I love this blog :)

Where do you find that cinnamon toothpaste? Can you find it in Canada?
Cheers!

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 4:37 pm

Annoyingly neither the main brand site nor the Canadian distributor have a store list on their websites…. what city are you in? I can ask the PR for you.

Chelsea
Sunday, January 13/2013 at 1:38 pm

I love all the cutesy stuff about Valentines day! I also rock red lips, something I don’t do everyday.