Jason Wu - FW12 makeup

Well gosh—New York Fashion Week has come and gone, did you even realize? I’m going to blame my tardy coverage on the Grammys, Valentine’s Day, and then a killer magazine deadline this week. (The article I was working on? It was about beauty foods. And well, I was guzzling Coke and ate an entire bag of pretzels while writing it. Ironically.)

Anyway! I got back on track today, looked at all the backstage beauty pics, and decided it’s eye makeup that is speaking to me. Well, there’s lots of other stuff too, obvi—the usual red lip, full brows, flawless skin—but in terms of makeup looks that are actually NEW (ish) and won’t look too out of place on the street, the eyes have it.

Here are five ideas if you’re itching for a new look:

1. Try a sheer wash of lavender from lashes to brows.

Jill Stuart FW12 makeup Look! 5 new things to do with your eye makeup, courtesy of New York Fashion Week

Let’s put aside the fact that Daphne Groeneveld could coat her entire face in this purple eyeshadow and still look gorgeous. I don’t think you necessarily need to be model-esque to pull off this look (at Jill Stuart). Really! Although taking the shadow all the way up to the brows continues to be the most on trend way to do your shadow these days, you could just blend it to just slightly above the crease. The key is that it’s taken all the way around the eye (i.e., underneath the lower lashes) and is all soft and diffused and blendy.

2. Leave a gap between your liner and lashes.

Jen Kao FW12 makeup Look! 5 new things to do with your eye makeup, courtesy of New York Fashion Week

One of the things I love about beauty and fashion is that a lot of the time, if you just wait long enough your “don’ts” will become “dos.” Such is the case with this eyeliner look (at Jen Kao). You know how makeup artists  (and moi) have been saying for, like, EVER that you should draw your liner on as close as possible to your lashes? Well, apparently that’s all changing, because this wasn’t the only show where eyeliner got graphic and edgy like this, with an intentional gap. Sadly, I don’t think I’m cool enough enough to pull it off.

3. Smudge your shadow underneath your eyes.

Marc Jacobs FW12 makeup Look! 5 new things to do with your eye makeup, courtesy of New York Fashion Week

I rarely meet a trend I don’t like, especially a Marc Jacobs trend… but even I will admit that this one’s a toughie for real life. One false move and you’ll end up looking like this guy:

Football player black eyes Look! 5 new things to do with your eye makeup, courtesy of New York Fashion Week

That said, I’ve been loving the new focus on the lower lashes for some time now, so let’s not through the baby out with the bathwater. I don’t recommend going quite as heavy and/or smudgy as this model, but I DO endorse trying your liner on the lower lash line and not the top. And Urban Decay makes this kick-ass brush for blending.

Or, you know, you could just forget to take off the eye makeup you wore last night—and voilà! Mission accomplished.

4. Add a little silver highlight to the inner corners.

Cushnie et Ochs FW12 makeup Look! 5 new things to do with your eye makeup, courtesy of New York Fashion Week

This concept’s not really so new, maybe, but it IS a trick I often forget. Along with concealer, nothing’s better at brightening the eyes than a highlight at the inner corners. Nothing! However, what’s new here (at Cushnie et Ochs) is that it’s not even trying to be subtle. I used to wear various shimmer prodz to get a natural-looking beigey shine there, but this silver is quite deliberate and meant to be noticed.

5. Swap your grey smoky eye for a green one.

Jason Wu FW12 makeup Look! 5 new things to do with your eye makeup, courtesy of New York Fashion Week

Is this gorgeous or what? And now, suddenly, I want to wear eye makeup again. Thanks, Jason Wu! Two things to note here: the green, obviously, which is M.A.C Smudge Minted Eye Kohl with an eyeshadow called Club layered on top. I don’t think I’d wear it with the clothing this model’s got on, but how incredible and dramatic would this look against a darker, solid colour for evening? The other important news is in the shape. Like we’ve been seeing for a while now, it’s all about extending the shadow out in a diagonal direction for a cat-like effect. It lifts your features too, by the way—like a mini eyeshadow facelift.

Yay makeup!

What’s your usual eye look?
Do you like any of these ones?
Which one will you definitely NOT be wearing?

Samantha
Friday, February 17/2012 at 10:13 pm

Number 2 looks ridiculous.

marta
Monday, February 20/2012 at 3:42 am

I could not agree more…

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 1:22 pm

Really? I guess unless you have a certain confidence it could look like you just don’t know how to apply eyeliner :)

Jaimie Klingbail
Friday, February 17/2012 at 10:34 pm

Oi! Man, this is my first comment and I’ve been following you for months now! Shame on me. You are fabulous–

I’m so torn with eye make-up because it’s the part on your face where you can get as crafty as you want, and it may look impressive and cool artistically, but not necessarily make you look as pretty as possible…?

I’ve always pretty much done my eye-makeup in variations of the same thing…different shades of toupe, brown, brownish/siliver, or purple with black/brown/or military green eyeliner, and black mascara BECAUSE I feel like this is what I look the best in. I don’t look right without dark(er) eyeliner, etc. if I’m trying to wear makeup although I feel pretty comfortable without makeup at all. WEIRD, eh?

I guess the point of my rant is to say that, I think all these looks are awesome, however #2 and #3 are more high-fashion/artistic and less easy to pull-off and look hot for guys if that’s what your going for. Either way–they’re all beautiful. I love the inspiration.

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 1:28 pm

Hmmm… I think playing up your eyes, as long as you use neutral shades, is easier/more universally flattering than pulling off a bright lip. (At least if you’re trying to “look hot for guys”… the majority of them don’t like lipstick of any colour…)

But yes I agree with you on some of these being too artistic for men to understand! They need to be way toned down for real life – especially #3… and I think colour is risky (ie #1 & 5)

Cassandra
Saturday, February 18/2012 at 1:20 am

I like the first one and the last one.

The second one will never work in real life. Nevah. The third is too much, but the concept is good if done with a light hand and not so far down. I’ve been doing that one for years. But that’s the runway, they do everything Over the top.

The last one is really pretty too.

Lindsay
Saturday, February 18/2012 at 7:23 am

i dont know why cause it looks great on that model, but every time i try light purple to the brow it just looks like ive been punched! hahah le-siiggghhh, i think what looks good in terms of eye shadow depends a lot on the shape of your eye, and i cant seem to pull off anything that great since i have such a huge upper eyelid :( boo.

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 1:30 pm

Good point! Eyelid size is important. I have no crease, so most eyeshadow just disappears on me…

B
Saturday, February 18/2012 at 10:46 am

I don’t like any of them :S

Lauren
Saturday, February 18/2012 at 12:09 pm

I do number 4 all the time, highlighting the inner corner of my eyes with shimmery white, or light beige shadown (my favourite now is L’Oreal La Couleur Infallible in
Hourglass Beige). It makes my often tired eyes pop, and I instantly look more awake! Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion in the colour Sin also works really well.

I love number 5 – doing a smokey eye in a colour is a nice change. I do it sometiems with purple, but I will try it with green for sure.

1, 2 and 3 are not for real life.

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 1:31 pm

I love Hourglass Beige! It’s a good drugstore dupe for my all-time favourite waterproof cream shadow (now discontinued) – DiorShow Undressed Beige. I’ll have to check out the UD primer, I believe I do have that one too.

Erica
Saturday, February 18/2012 at 4:16 pm

The smokey green eye is really pretty

Michaela
Saturday, February 18/2012 at 10:28 pm

Dude, that model with the purple eyeshadow? Fugly. She looks like a mongoloid alien. *shivers*

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 1:32 pm

Really? I love Daphne! Those lips!

ava
Sunday, February 19/2012 at 12:28 am

Green is my fave, I used to wear green a lot – more earthy tone though. It seem to work for me. Nowadays I go with more neutral colors, don’t have much time to experiment in the mornings. I like number 3 on the model – I dont think it would work in real life. Number 2 – no. Number 1 – one of the girls in the office tried it the other day, it look over the top. Maybe it would look better in out of the office setting

Wednesday, February 22/2012 at 1:33 pm

Yeah, office setting is key :)
In my industry anything goes… but I’d steer clear of all of these if I did something corporate.

ri
Monday, February 20/2012 at 11:01 pm

I am not liking any of these “new” trends in eye makeup, if I walked into work looking like either of the above they would think I was a hot mess. And if i went out with friends like that, especially the raccoon eyes, my friends would think I was going insane. But using white/silver in the corners of the eyes does look good though!

Amberly Charter
Tuesday, February 21/2012 at 4:30 pm

I think I’m the only one that likes #2! Not for everyday, and it will take a certain personal style to pull it off, but I like it on that model. Very edgy.