Meet our newest contributor, Jasmine—and get the lowdown on her fave prodz, best tips… and why duck-feet nails are a VERY bad idea

Jasmine Kabiling

Remember Jasmine’s aMAZing post on curly hair a few weeks back? Well, I thought it was high time that you guys got a little bit more acquainted, seeing as she’s joining us as a brand new BEAUTYEDITOR.ca contributor. Yay!

So a few quick deets: her name is Jasmine Kabiling; she’s 21 years old; is a fourth-year journalism student; is currently interning at the Toronto radio station Newstalk 1010… and describes herself as “a former tomboy turned aspiring beauty writer.” Oh Jasmine, welcome to the fold.

Just like I asked Elizabeth to share all her beauty intel in a Q&A last year, I’m doing the same with Jasmine—so come get to know each other, will you?

Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman Meet our newest contributor, Jasmine—and get the lowdown on her fave prodz, best tips... and why duck feet nails are a VERY bad ideaHow would you describe your look?

I would describe my look as natural, for sure. Most days I just use Maybelline New York Colossal Volum’ Express mascara, Clinique’s All About Eyes concealer to cover my dark circles, M.A.C Mineralize Skinfinish in Refined for a subtle glow and a lip moisturizer (read: Vaseline) for good measure. Depending on my mood or if I’m feeling fancy, I’ll throw on some lipstick for a pop of color.

Who are your beauty icons?

Ashley Olsen, Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman, Lisa Bonet—I wouldn’t exactly call them my beauty icons, but I definitely look to them for beauty inspiration. They’re all very natural but they have this glow about them that I like. It’s like an effortless beauty.

What makes you feel beautiful?

I’m going to say confidence and all that inner beauty jazz because feeling beautiful is just that—a feeling—and if you feel it, then it radiates. But I also think just feeling put together and having a good hair/makeup/outfit day really helps as well! Usually when you feel good is when you’ll get the most compliments, and really… who doesn’t feel good after being complimented?

Aveeno Fresh Essentials Pore Purifying Facial Wash Meet our newest contributor, Jasmine—and get the lowdown on her fave prodz, best tips... and why duck feet nails are a VERY bad ideaHow do you take care of your skin?

I use Aveeno’s Fresh Essentials Pore Purifying Facial Wash to wash away the day’s makeup and dirt build-up and then Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion afterwards to moisturize. Drinking a lot of water and actually getting enough sleep (6-8 hours for me) also helps keep my skin looking purdy healthy.

What products are in your handbag right now?

I currently have a couple of matte lipsticks–NARS Tonkin (very neutral, but a pretty, everyday shade) and Volga (a berry, OMG-look-at-ma-lips colour)–in addition to a tube of Vaseline and some hand cream. Oh, and there’s also some Visine eye drops (to relieve red eyes after staring at a screen all day), some floss and Advil!

What’s worth splurging on? What should you save on?

shu uemura lash curler Meet our newest contributor, Jasmine—and get the lowdown on her fave prodz, best tips... and why duck feet nails are a VERY bad ideaSplurge on an eyelash curler! Specifically, Shu Uemura’s— it is probably one of the best beauty investments I’ve ever made. It’s a bit pricey, but for the quality and durability, it’s definitely worth it. I used to buy eyelash curlers from the drugstore, which would last me three months max, but I’ve been using the Shu Uemura one for about a year and a half now and it still holds curl and works like a dream. Other than that, I’ll only splurge on lipstick here and there. I am still a not-so-rich (the word “broke” depresses me) college student, so splurging is not really an option just yet. Sad face.

If I know anything though, you should probably save your money on mascara. I feel like this is such a textbook beauty answer, but I don’t think the price of a mascara necessarily equates to better quality and working power. (Editor’s note: Agreed!) I think it’s really all in the application of it and the eyelash curler you use that can make (or break?) your eyelashes.

What was your first fragrance? And what’s your current one?

Gucci Flora Meet our newest contributor, Jasmine—and get the lowdown on her fave prodz, best tips... and why duck feet nails are a VERY bad ideaDaisy by Marc Jacobs was my first, but I’m currently single (read: in the process of looking for a new one, lulz). It’s so hard for me to find one I like, only because I get headaches after spraying and smelling different perfumes after 15 minutes. BUT! I am leaning towards purchasing Gucci’s Flora… what do ya’ll think? I’m no perfume expert by any means, but it smells pretty enough. Suggestions?

What’s the weirdest thing you’ve done in the name of beauty?

Hmm… it’s definitely a tie between the time I Nair’d off all my arm hair in high school and this time my friend and I decided that soaking our hair in lemon juice and sitting out in the sun for three hours trying to lighten it was a good idea (this was a couple of years ago, mind you). I’m sure there are a lot of weirder things I’ve done in the name of beauty, but they are obviously so embarrassing that my mind has managed to successfully repress those memories.

Have you had any major beauty fails?

Getting straight, across-the-forehead bangs—and cutting them myself—was probably the biggest beauty fail ever. I was jaded by the fact that I was having a good hair day, so I thought, “Hey, why not? My hair looks good today, let’s cut my bangs.” Sure enough, they looked okay UNTIL I showered the next day. That’s when the reality of having unruly, wavy-curly hair set in. The worst part of that experience was how I handled it. For some reason, I thought that straightening my bangs and leaving the rest of my hair curly was a good idea. I don’t know who told me that styling my hair like that was okay, but rest assured, I do not think we are friends anymore.

What’s your biggest beauty pet peeve?

Those super long, acrylic nails with the designs on them!!! I can’t. That is all.

What beauty trend do you wish would go away NOW?

This is kind of similar to the answer above, but a friend of mine was actually telling me about this duck-feet nail trend going on right now which is pretty much the exact opposite of what dagger nails look like. Google it. Seriously. (Editor’s note: Okay, I’m going to save you the trouble. Here they are:)

Duck feet nails Meet our newest contributor, Jasmine—and get the lowdown on her fave prodz, best tips... and why duck feet nails are a VERY bad idea

If I could save even one soul from this train wreck of a nail trend, I think the beauty world would be a better place.

If you could revive a beauty trend, which would it be?

Super skinny eyebrows.

Kidding. I can’t really think of any specific beauty trends I’d like to revive… perhaps the low-slung, fishtail braid if I had to choose one off the top of my head, though. Those definitely had a moment a year or two ago and I loved doing them!

What is your best beauty tip?

T Shirt 300x300 Meet our newest contributor, Jasmine—and get the lowdown on her fave prodz, best tips... and why duck feet nails are a VERY bad ideaWrapping your hair in a cotton T-shirt after a shower instead of a towel, which I wrote about here. Best tip I’ve ever been given and will continue to share!

If you could invent a beauty product, what would it be?

A product that actually works in permanently getting rid of eye bags/dark circles/puffiness so you wouldn’t have to worry about using concealer. It would be nice to not hear the words “you look tired” (even after a good 8-10 hour sleep) ever again.

If you had to take three beauty products with you on a desert island, which would they be?

1. Vaseline
2. Maybelline Colossal Volum’ Express mascara
3. Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion

Okay, this is Michelle again. Stay tuned for more posts from Jasmine—and make sure to follow her on Twitter @orjasmic_!

In the meantime, tell us:

Have you tried any of Jasmine’s favourite beauty products?
Were you aware of this offensive duck feet nail trend? OMGOMGOMG.
What topic(s) would you like for Jasmine to write about in a future post?

Danielle
Thursday, February 23/2012 at 3:07 pm

If you have curly hair the best thing to dry it with is AIR. A cotton t-shirt is definitely better than a towel, but nothing beats scrunching in mousse or curling cream and drip-drying. Your frizz will be halved, or gone completely and your curls will be less broken up.

Jasmine
Monday, February 27/2012 at 9:57 pm

Oh, definitely! I always leave my hair to air dry with a curl spray– I just use a cotton t-shirt to absorb the excess water in my hair after a shower as opposed to using a towel.

Elisa
Thursday, February 23/2012 at 5:11 pm

I am *kind of a perfume expert* (ahem) and my advice is, don’t buy a bottle of anything you’d describe as “pretty enough.” You should LOVE your perfume! Especially if you’re planning to wear the same thing every day. I’d suggest getting samples of a few things at a time and trying them at home, to avoid the headache of the makeup counter. You can get 3 free samples at a time from Sephora, and Nordstrom is great about samples too. You can also order samples online from places like LuckyScent, but it will cost you a wee bit (like $3 for a sample).

If you’re looking for something relatively light and simple, you might want to check out the Jo Malone line.

Thursday, February 23/2012 at 9:55 pm

Good advice! I wouldn’t splurge on any fragrance unless it “spoke” to me. (Although I don’t know what it says about me that J.Lo and Pink Sugar speak to me…haha!)

Elisa
Thursday, February 23/2012 at 10:22 pm

I maintain that most perfume snobs would love Pink Sugar if it cost $140 and came from a niche label!

Jasmine
Monday, February 27/2012 at 10:03 pm

Ah, thanks for the info Elisa! I never knew I could ask for samples from Sephora… I would always just use the perfume testing strips and take them home to see which I liked best afterwards, ha!

Will definitely check out the Jo Malone line though, thanks!

Amberly Charter
Thursday, February 23/2012 at 5:52 pm

Hi Jasmine!

I started the t-shirt trick after reading your last post – great advice!

And duck feet nails? SICK. I could barely look at that photo! ;)

Enjoyed the interview and looking forward to your future posts.

-Amberly

Jasmine
Monday, February 27/2012 at 10:08 pm

Amberly, hello!

Thank ya.. the t-shirt trick is great, isn’t it? Very glad it helped!

Kathy
Thursday, February 23/2012 at 6:09 pm

Love your humor! Can’t wait to read more! And ditto on those duck-nails…YIKES!

Jasmine
Monday, February 27/2012 at 10:09 pm

Haha, thank you :) Duck nails = no no, for sure!

Elizabeth
Thursday, February 23/2012 at 6:45 pm

Welcome, Jasmine! :) I have a question for you, Michelle, or anyone who wants to chime in: Where does one purchase Shu Uemura eyelash curler replacement pads? The little rubber thingees? I’ve long since stopped using my SU curler ’cause I never found that it really made a difference or held the curl… Am tempted to give it another shot, but need a new rubber piece!

Thursday, February 23/2012 at 9:58 pm

I don’t think they sell them separately anymore. Check out this post – it says you should replace the pad after 3 months (each curler comes with a replacement pad) and then the entire curler altogether after 6! http://answers.sephora.com/answers/8723/product/P8119/questions.htm
I personally don’t do that… mine is probably going on 3 yrs old or more and still working fine with an old pad.

Annie
Wednesday, February 29/2012 at 11:05 am

I’ve had my original curler since the early/mid-2000′s and have only had to replace the original pad once in that time. Why you would ever want to replace the entire curler unless it was broken, I have no idea. Crazy the amount of people who likely take that advice as gospel, though.

Jasmine
Monday, February 27/2012 at 10:50 pm

Hi, Elizabeth! Thanks for the welcome.. glad to be part of the team ;) What eyelash curler are you using right now?

DM
Thursday, February 23/2012 at 9:42 pm

Welcome Jasmine! Couldn’t agree more on the mascara comment. Good ol’ trusty Maybelline Great Lash works just as well as my Armani Eyes to Kills (what I’ve currently been using), in my books. However, I could never part ways with Lancome’s Oscillation. So long as it stays on, I’m fine. Nobody likes flakey mascara!

Also, can you (or anyone else) recommend a good eyelash primer? I usually use Estee Lauder’s Lash Primer Plus, but would obviously like to broaden my horizons. Thanks!

Jasmine
Monday, February 27/2012 at 10:53 pm

Hi D’Lo ;)
Wish I could recommend something for you, but I personally don’t use an eyelash primer (I am way lazy and applying mascara is already a task on its own for me). Perhaps I should look into it a bit more though…

Audrey
Saturday, February 25/2012 at 2:55 pm

OH MY GOD MICHELLE. DUCK FEET NAILS. i cannot fathom that people pay actual money for that kind of atrocity. excuse me while i barf a little in my mouth.

Phil
Sunday, February 26/2012 at 10:26 am

Welcome to the website! I enjoyed reading that post on curly hair, not so much for myself, but to show my mom who has curly hair for over 3 decades now.
Duck feet nails are disgusting and so impractical :s
Keep up the good work and give us some more insightful articles!

Best of luck Jasmine.

Jasmine
Monday, February 27/2012 at 10:56 pm

Aw, thanks Phil! Glad to be here :) Hopefully she liked it, but I’m sure your mom has plenty of tips for dealing with curly hair already! And re: the duck feet nails…I know! How would one even function normally with them on?!

supriya
Sunday, February 26/2012 at 12:53 pm

btw loved ur article on curly hair, and i really know what frizz is, and t shirt and air drying are such blessings, not to forget the hair oil helps too.

if u ever invent the product that gets rid of the under eye dark circles, pls let me know.. i am going to buy it from you asap.. i really wish that there was one eye cream out there , that kept your dark circles off for good..

Jasmine
Monday, February 27/2012 at 10:58 pm

Oh, Supriya! If I ever become savvy enough to invent the ultimate under-eye dark circle/bag remover, believe me… I will share it with the entire world… and hopefully win a Nobel Peace Prize for it ;)

QuiteLight
Monday, February 27/2012 at 1:34 pm

… ur.. duck nails… what?! I can’t… words… wow. Ugly. So ugly.

Triple bonus points to Jasmine for knocking me speechless on that one!

Jasmine
Monday, February 27/2012 at 11:00 pm

Ha! There aren’t any words to describe them, really.

Xennia
Monday, February 27/2012 at 4:27 pm

I use Gucci Flora, and I LOVED it for so long. But then it turns sweet, VERY sweet, and you start feeling like you’ve ventured into teenage-zone perfume (remember those Calgon body sprays in gr 10?)

I trust men when it comes to perfume tastes and Parisienne YSL perfume has won rave revies, that has a hint of sweetness that Flora offers, but is a lighter, much less aggressive form and is awesome for day time and night time.
Another male favourite is Chloe eau de perfume, which is fresh, but also women LOVE the fragrance.
It’s fresh, and young without being overwhelming and awesome for day wear.

Jasmine
Monday, February 27/2012 at 11:06 pm

Calgon body sprays! Oh, the memories.

Will definitely check out the Parisienne YSL and the Chloe perfumes when I get a chance! They sound promising since I’m looking for something sweet, but not sickeningly so, and wearable (is that a real word?) for day time. If you have any more suggestions, do let me know! Thanks Xennia :)

Aly
Wednesday, February 29/2012 at 8:26 pm

Yay! We have an Asian on the team! Welcome! There are many products that work so well for Caucasians but don’t work for me at all etc; I feel that you, my dear Jasmine, would be so helpful to people like me who are likewise Asian. Can’t wait for more of your contributions =)