Let’s talk about Hunger Games star Jennifer Lawrence for a second—since she’s about to become mega-famous!

Jennifer Lawrence - Hunger Games premiere LA

Oh Em Gee. THIS IS THE WEEK. The week that the first movie in The Hunger Games trilogy hits theatres. I haven’t even read the books yet (well, I’ve got four days still) and I’m beside myself with excitement! It’s going to be like The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter all over again. Except probably better.

Also? If you didn’t know who Jennifer Lawrence was before, you will now. She plays the heroine Katniss—and let’s just say that with the books selling 23 million copies and counting, Jen’s about to be launched into international super-stardom.

Here at BEAUTY EDITOR HQ, of course, we love nothing more than a little beauty retrospective. (I also have a soft spot for Jennifer because we have the exact same type of eyelid crease. Meaning non-existent. So sue me—these are the things I pay attention to.) Anyway, let’s get acquainted with this budding beauty star by taking a look at her red carpet looks of past and present…

2011 SAG Awards

Jennifer Lawrence 2011 SAG Awards Lets talk about Hunger Games star Jennifer Lawrence for a second—since shes about to become mega famous!

Unless you saw Winter’s Bone (for which she got an Oscar nom last year), this red carpet was the first time most of us “met” Jennifer. At the time I dissed her heavy-handed eye makeup, and I still stand by that. Great colour dress, though.

2011 Academy Awards

Jennifer Lawrence 2011 Oscars Lets talk about Hunger Games star Jennifer Lawrence for a second—since shes about to become mega famous!

Remember this one (and the red dress) from the Oscars last year? So seksi! (And much improved on the smoky-eye front.) Also, can I please have this hair? Kthxbai.

Paris Fashion Week F/W ’11 (at Miu Miu)

PFW F11 Jennifer Lawrence Miu Miu 2 Lets talk about Hunger Games star Jennifer Lawrence for a second—since shes about to become mega famous!

And here’s something a little different. A year ago, Jen was in Paris for Fall Fashion Week and this was her look for front row at Miu Miu. While I don’t love the frizz at the crown, you do know I love me a half-up, half-down ‘do. And I think the bare face really shows off her natural beauty. She’s still got some eyeshadow going on to play up her eyes, but it’s subtle and earth-toned. (And I shall copy it tomorrow!)

2012 People’s Choice Awards

Peoples Choice Awards 2012 Jennifer Lawrence Lets talk about Hunger Games star Jennifer Lawrence for a second—since shes about to become mega famous!

Fast forward to 2012, at the People’s Choice Awards, and Jennifer’s got darker, auburn hair (for the movie) and much improved makeup all around. See—the more famous you get, the better your people! I think this type of smoky eye, in a softer brown and paired with that insanely good peachy lip, is much more flattering than her harsh 2011 SAGs look.

Hunger Games premiere – London

Jennifer Lawrence Hunger Games premiere London Lets talk about Hunger Games star Jennifer Lawrence for a second—since shes about to become mega famous!

Here’s Jen in London last week for one of the premieres. Hair is lighter and there are bangs! I support this look, along with the casual side pony (since I love casual above the neck with a hawt hawt dress). I also appreciate how you can see her SKIN (and even freckles) and that they didn’t cover it up with tons of foundation. After all, she’s only 21. She looks cute, right?

Hunger Games premiere – Germany

Jennifer Lawrence Hunger Games premiere Germany Lets talk about Hunger Games star Jennifer Lawrence for a second—since shes about to become mega famous!

Now this one is too prom/bridal for my taste. What’s up with the curled bangs and side tendrils? Maybe this is how they do hair in Germany. Whatever happened, the fuzzy halo technique I talked about here would have been a MUCH better idea for getting the right texture around the face with an updo. Try it sometime, you guys!

Hunger Games premiere – Paris

Jennifer Lawrence Hunger Games premiere Paris Lets talk about Hunger Games star Jennifer Lawrence for a second—since shes about to become mega famous!

BOOM. This is gorgeous. Doesn’t she look like a different person almost? I am SO doing this. The side-parted bangs, the long straight hair, the rosy blush, the flicky eyeliner, the pop of red on the lips. Obviously it happened in Paris, so that explains everything.

Hunger Games premiere – Los Angeles

Jennifer Lawrence Hunger Games premiere LA Lets talk about Hunger Games star Jennifer Lawrence for a second—since shes about to become mega famous!

But out of all the premieres, this one in L.A. was the biggie. Sort of like the Oscars in that Jen went all out with the glammiest glam dress, hair and makeup. And I seriously have nothing to nit-pick at. The makeup is perfection—everything was done by Patrick Dempsey’s wife Jillian, BTW. (She has a line with Avon.) Here’s a list of the products used:

• Laura Mercier Caviar Eyeliner in Black
  • Jillian Dempsey for Avon Professional Perfect Contour Powder in Blissful (available in April)
  • Avon Be Blushed Cheek Color in Tropical Peach
  • Stila Convertible Color Blush in Peony
  • Avon Ultra Color Rich Moisture Seduction Lipstick in Nude Perfection
  • YSL Glossy Lip Stain in Coral Aquatique

And I can’t let you go until you check out the hair:

Jennifer Lawrence Hunger Games premiere LA 2 Lets talk about Hunger Games star Jennifer Lawrence for a second—since shes about to become mega famous!

This was done by celeb stylist Mark Townsend, who also reps Dove haircare and was in Toronto recently (and I’m kicking myself that I didn’t go to the media event!). He used the products here—first, Dove’s mousse on damp hair before blow-drying with a round brush, and then the Dove heat-protecting spray prior to curling with a one-inch iron. Next, he used Sally Hershberger’s spray wax (funny, she was ALSO in Toronto the other week) to add texture and then he braided in some sparkly headbands from Jennifer Behr (serious swoon). Finally, he twisted the whole thing into a bun, spraying with Dove dry shampoo and hairspray to give extra hold.

Maybe the best hairstyle of 2012 so far, right?

Tell me:

How crazy excited are you to see The Hunger Games?
Are you a Jennifer Lawrence fan?
Which of these beauty looks do you love? hate? wish you could steal for yourself?

Sandra
Monday, March 19/2012 at 4:47 pm

I actually don’t like the hairstyle at all. I don’t like her bangs or the sparkly stuff in her bun (looks cheap) and I think those hanging hairs that are supposed to ‘sweeten’ the look make it seem careless.
Makeup is ok, but I think her face color and her neck color don’t really match.
And I think the black waterline and so much darkness make her eyes appear smaller.
I like her subtle glowy blush and her hair color.

Lucy
Wednesday, March 21/2012 at 8:02 pm

I completely agree with everything that you said!

Monday, March 26/2012 at 9:37 pm

Good catch on the Eagle! I didn’t notice that at first. But I love the eye makeup… I can see how the hairdo would be polarizing…

Sophia
Monday, March 19/2012 at 5:45 pm

Not feeling the bangs… a bit too Stephanie Tanner IMO. They look especially weird in the London photo.

A lot of these looks are pretty similar. The only one that really stands out is the punchy lip – which I’m into, except that the application looks kinda sloppy and I’m not sure what’s going on with her bangs (again).

Every time I see her in photos, I just think it’s Stephanie Pratt.

Monday, March 26/2012 at 9:39 pm

Stephanie Tanner and Stephanie Pratt – OMG! I know what you mean, but is it weird that I kinda like those bangs in London? Probably… I can’t even explain why.

Agree the Paris red lip application is a little off.

Elaine R
Monday, March 19/2012 at 6:30 pm

OMFG. Paris!!!! I am in love. seriously.

PS IM SO EXCITED FOR THESE MOVIES!

Anya
Monday, March 19/2012 at 10:30 pm

I’m just reading the first novel now — getting excited!

Jennifer Lawrence seems like a lovely girl. I loved her on the cover of Flare last summer.

Meeka
Monday, March 19/2012 at 11:46 pm

I’m excited for the movie but I don’t know when I’ll get to see it. Hopefully soon! I’m not sure if I’m a big fan of Jen’s style. She looks about 12 in almost all these pictures. And this picture is the first time I’ve liked her Paris look. Although I REALLY like it in this photo. Actually, the 2012 PCA’s and the LA premier looks are pretty good too. Hmm, I’ll have to wait and see.

Gauri
Tuesday, March 20/2012 at 3:41 am

Oh her hair is so beautiful! I wish mine looked that perfect, mine is so messy but I ♥ it all the same x

B
Tuesday, March 20/2012 at 7:13 am

I hate her. There’s something about her face that I find displeasing to my eyes :/
However, I will still definitely go see the Hunger Games. (which she was completely miscast IMHO)

vonna
Tuesday, March 20/2012 at 10:28 pm

You’ll never know until you see it and it’s funny how you hate someone for their face.

Elaine R
Wednesday, March 21/2012 at 4:17 pm

o.O

Lucy
Wednesday, March 21/2012 at 8:07 pm

There is something about her face that I don’t like either. I even think that she may have had something done in the London picture. Makes me sad cause she’s so young. I don’t hate her though. She just doesn’t appeal to me.

Phil
Tuesday, March 20/2012 at 12:02 pm

Sheer perfection at the premiere of the movie!
She looks so good with that haircolor, the makeup, the eyes, … it all works!
Whoever gave her that look should get a big pat on the back.

I do feel that she’s also stunning with reddish auburn hair, like she has in the movies. Really flattering on her skintone and easy on the eyes. Now lets see if she can act too :)

Elaine R
Tuesday, March 20/2012 at 2:47 pm

She got nominated for best actress, and is the second-youngest person to ever be nominated…. So I think she can act :P

Phil
Tuesday, March 20/2012 at 2:57 pm

Oh I just looked her up. Didn’t know she was in ‘the burning plain’ too, loved that movie. She’s just not very known yet.. all is about to change very soon! Now I just need to find a quiet moment to go see the movie, without being surrounded by screaming girls/teenagers.

Elaine R
Wednesday, March 21/2012 at 4:17 pm

No worries! I just think she’s fantastic :)

QuiteLight
Tuesday, March 20/2012 at 12:37 pm

I think the best look is the one she has on the movie posters (auburn with minimal makeup), but the premiere is a close second.

The premiere is the only one where it doesn’t look like a “correct facial ‘flaws’ with makeup!” demo. They are painting bigger eyes on her with that huge smokey makeup, and “playing up small lips with pale gloss/lipstick” which visually erases them for me. At least at the premiere they actually pulled it off without being so obvious.

I’m not criticizing her actual face! I, too, have small-ish eyes & smallish lips, and I also work the smokey eyes over the lips, but most of these were just trying too damn hard to “correct” things that are FEATURES, not flaws. I think that’s why the Paris shots look better to me, too. They work with what she has (v. french, if I understand right), rather than trying to paint on something else.

And she looks young because she IS young! Enjoy it!

Lauren
Wednesday, March 21/2012 at 12:27 am

I’m loving your blog! I have the exact same eyelid as you and Jen, so I’d love more tips on how to do eyeshadow for it!

Monday, March 26/2012 at 9:42 pm

Okay, noted! Let me see what I can come up with. (Although my thing is really to ignore eyeshadow altogether… I usually do a sparkly neutral waterproof shadow with tons of lashes and, occasionally, some form of liner. Anything more just disappears on my eyelid shape and the creasing issue is a PAIN.)

ava
Wednesday, March 21/2012 at 11:27 pm

I like her with darker hair, it looks much more flattering on her than the blonde. Also it makes her eyes pop. People’s choice is the best look on her, the LA look is my other favorite, like the lipstick, blush and hairdo.

Steph
Friday, March 23/2012 at 3:24 pm

That color of lipstick doesnt exist at Avon. Only sparking nude or sheer nude? Has it not come out yet?

Monday, March 26/2012 at 9:48 pm

Hmm I’m not seeing it on their website but it’s not a new product. Maybe it’s discontinued…

shelle
Friday, March 30/2012 at 7:33 pm

i loved her 2011 academy awards look. perfection! i also kinda liked the 2012 peoples choice award if i was going for a sultry look

isabel
Saturday, April 21/2012 at 11:10 pm

I loved the Paris Premiere look!! Do you know what lipstick was she wearing?? I LOOOOOOOVE IT!!!!! I must have it!!

Alinne
Friday, July 27/2012 at 11:11 am

Oh, for the god’s sake! She’s gorgeous. And she’s a good actress. Why do you have to criticise everything?