Suddenly, it’s spring: Do you know where your eye makeup is? (Probably smudging all over the place, unless you use these tips)

Versace - SS12 beauty

Yesterday was a glorious day. The sun was shining, I wore open-toed shoes and, because for once I’m enjoying a tiny lull in between mag deadlines, I played hooky and walked around all afternoon following a lunchtime media event.

But (because you knew there would be a but) then my world came crashing down.

Okay, not really, but I was trying on some new gym clothes at Lululemon and suddenly noticed that the eye makeup I’d so artfully applied that morning—to go with my artfully arranged side ponytail and Chanel lipstick—had migrated both above the crease of my eyelids and beneath my lower lashes. Quelle horreur! (And I know I always talk about how the lower lash line is the new thing in eye makeup, but I mean that when you apply it there deliberately—not in an OMG-it’s-3pm-and-I’ve-sweated-it-all-over-my-face kind of way.)

Clearly, I wasn’t fully prepared for this warmer weather. (And clearly I don’t always use my own tips.) So to go with the first week of spring ’12, let’s talk about the things we ALL should be doing to prevent eye makeup meltdowns.

Not to prime is a crime

If you’re really serious, you will incorporate this step, a.k.a. a primer, before you put on anything else. Personally, I tend to be a) lazy and b) forgetful, so it’s nice to have a combo product like this one that I always mention, which does the job of concealing and priming all in one. Kat Von D also makes a combo concealer/shadow base, but after the whole Sandra Bullock thing I’m not so sure I want to use her beauty products.

Some concealers will also say that they double as primers, so check the descriptions. My old favourite Nvey Eco Organic Erase is one of them.

Of course, there are a zillion solo eyelid-priming prodz that brands have come out with lately. Make Up For Ever is launching one called Eye Prime in June, which will probably be awesome. Or consider ones from Too Faced, Cover FX, Gosh, Sephora… I could go on and on.

The original and still one of the best is this guy from Urban Decay:

Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion Suddenly, its spring: Do you know where your eye makeup is? (Probably smudging all over the place, unless you use these tips)

Or—if you don’t feel like buying something new, just apply a thin layer of concealer or foundation all over your lids, and then set with translucent powder. It’ll dry out the lids and give the colour products something to grip to.

Choose waterproof prodz

These used to be the hardest things to find. I speak from experience, because I’ve got the Jennifer Lawrence-style eyelids where any shadow or liner you put on them creases (especially if it’s warm outside), leaving you with a lovely double line—the original along the lashes, and then a new, second one just above the crease where it hits when you blink.

This is what happened to me yesterday when I used a regular old navy shadow as liner, applied with an angled brush.

Thankfully a few beauty brands have decided to help me/us with this problem and are coming out with new long-lasting formulas. Maybelline New York just launched Color Tattoo 24hr Eyeshadow, which follows in the footsteps of other longwear shadows-in-a-pot like those from Giorgio Armani, L’Oréal Paris and Chanel.

Maybelline New York Color Tattoo 24hr Eyeshadow Suddenly, its spring: Do you know where your eye makeup is? (Probably smudging all over the place, unless you use these tips)

From what I can remember of those other lines, the difference with Maybelline’s is that they have more non-metallic options… like that turquoise, which is what I’m wearing as we speak. You could take preemptive measures against smudging and wear it all softly diffused out, all the way around the eye like this Oscar de la Renta look from last year…

Oscar de la Renta Spring 2011 green eyeshadow Suddenly, its spring: Do you know where your eye makeup is? (Probably smudging all over the place, unless you use these tips)

… or go more defined and apply it with an angled brush to the upper lash line for a hit of colour like this:

LAMB blue eyeliner Suddenly, its spring: Do you know where your eye makeup is? (Probably smudging all over the place, unless you use these tips)

Another fantastic option for shadow? These brand new Aqua Shadow Waterproof Eye Shadow Pencils from Make Up For Ever, which are coming out in May. Sneak peek!

Make Up For Ever Aqua Shadow Waterproof Eye Shadow Pencils Suddenly, its spring: Do you know where your eye makeup is? (Probably smudging all over the place, unless you use these tips)

They are awesome blossom. As you can see, the colour selection is much more neutral, and I also find they have a drier texture. Remember the discontinued DiorShow waterproof shadow I talk about that I’ve pretty much worn every single day since 2006? Well, stop the presses because this might just be the best replacement yet.

Obviously waterproof liners are the best choice for the warmer months as well—whether or not you put them in the waterlines—so check this post for recos. I tend to reach for Urban Decay most often.

Oh, and if I can give one final shout-out to UD, they also make a fantabulous waterproof mascara called Cannonball:

Urban Decay Cannonball Ultra Waterproof Mascara Suddenly, its spring: Do you know where your eye makeup is? (Probably smudging all over the place, unless you use these tips)

Unlike most waterproof mascara formulas I’ve tried, this one isn’t at all clumpy or flaky. And since “chunky” lashes are very much on trend for spring, you’re going to want to wear more mascara than you’ve ever worn in your life… trust. That includes the lower lashes, which are the most smear-prone. It could get ugly without this product. (Check this post for lower-lash mascara application tips. My favourite product for removal is from Aïny, which is sold here.)

Translucent powder is your friend

That’s because if you combine it with your liner or shadow, you’re going to double up on the longevity. Hooray!

It doesn’t really matter which brand you use (and you can actually even use a matching coloured shadow, although on me that still smears). Just either lightly dust it all over the eyelid or, if you’re setting a liner, go over it with a clean angled brush dipped in the powder for more precision. You can also do this in the waterlines if you’re very, VERY careful. I’m a contact lens wearer, so I don’t… but if you want to, make sure to tap off the excess so it doesn’t get in your eyes, and then and gently press on top of the waterline liner.

And now… over to you:

Does your eye makeup tend to move around?
Which products and techniques do you swear by to make it stay put?
Have you tried an eye primer or long-lasting shadow yet?

jestkaa
Wednesday, March 21/2012 at 5:07 pm

what show is that picture at the top from? I looooove that look, must recreate.

Wednesday, March 21/2012 at 6:15 pm

Versace spring 2012 couture!

Marionberry Style
Wednesday, March 21/2012 at 5:46 pm

Ha! I saw this headline, read the first few paragraphs and then paused to look in the mirror. Sure enough! My eye-makeup was a hot mess. I love these tips and will certainly have to look for a few of these newer products coming out!!
Thanks!

XO – Marion

Audrey
Wednesday, March 21/2012 at 7:25 pm

WOW, that cornflower blue liner is stunning! Such a unique colour. I might need to try a replicate it, hopefully it looks equally flattering on pale skin.

MandyB
Wednesday, March 21/2012 at 8:20 pm

Michelle, I have the same issue with my eyelid mashing into the part between my crease and brow – I find applying some type of powder (eye shadow or translucent powder) from where my lid and crease shadow ends to my eyebrow and this does the trick preventing the lovely double line colour transfer!

Monday, March 26/2012 at 9:29 pm

Hmm maybe it’s my eyeshadow, because I still crease with the regular stuff. I haven’t tried translucent powder yet. BUT—I have been testing MAC Pro Longwear Eyeshadow this weekend and not to jinx it but I was pretty impressed… I have the cream one (Carefree) and Legendary Black.

Delia Lupan
Wednesday, March 21/2012 at 8:57 pm

Colour Tatoos are amazing!
I did this makeup using it:

Delia Lupan
Wednesday, March 21/2012 at 8:59 pm

Can’t get the right link in. Anyway, it’s the 20th picture in the gallery :-)

Monday, March 26/2012 at 9:30 pm

Wow, so pretty! Which shade(s)?

Delia Lupan
Monday, March 26/2012 at 9:37 pm

Thank you!

40 Tenacious Teal

Sophia
Wednesday, March 21/2012 at 9:41 pm

I have the same problem, both on my eyelids and just underneath my lower lashline. Eyeliner always rubs off a bit onto my lid unless I use translucent powder and if my day is extra long it sometimes isn’t enough. I also get some creasing from my concealer under my eyes…maybe I’m using too much? Or it’s the wrong consistency? My skin is on the dry side so it’s not an oil issue. Again, powder and blotting excess product help.

Monday, March 26/2012 at 9:32 pm

I’ve heard from makeup artists that even with waterproof products you can’t expect the world… they’re all going to eventually move a bit after a few hours, depending on your skin type and how hot it is outside, etc.

I get creases from my concealer under the eyes too. I find the creamy pot-type products the worst… so far MUFE’s HD one is the least crease-prone in my opinion. (However, it’s not as easy to apply…) I do the same thing as you and put powder on top to set—that seems to help a bit.

Going to flag this question for the next time I talk to a makeup artist—maybe there is an anti-creasing trick I don’t know about. :)

Julia
Wednesday, March 21/2012 at 11:50 pm

I like this post. I’m not alone. I use the UD primer and that makes my shadows stay. BUT everything pencil/non-liquid liner I’ve tried has always migrated. So sad since I really love that softer look.

Have you ladies ever used eyeliner sealant? It works well. I used it years ago with my pencil liners, but found the extra step too annoying.

Monday, March 26/2012 at 9:34 pm

I haven’t but I think I have some… from Caryl Baker I think. Thanks for the reminder… will have to locate it so I can give it a shot!

Jeanne
Thursday, March 22/2012 at 12:41 am

You know I felt the same way about Kat von D too, but then I read this note she posted on her facebook page about how she found out Jesse cheated on her with at least 19 women (http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150394420646162) and I see that she was lied to by him as well (she’s also not the one that Jesse cheated on Sandra with, that’s Bombshell McGee). I haven’t tried her shadow base but I do quite like her eyeshadows and lipsticks, they’re moderately priced and come in fun colours.

Kat von D aside, I do love UDPP and Maybelline’s Colour Tattoos, a combination of those with a powder eyeshadow on top makes my eye makeup water/smudge/tear/sweat/everything proof!

Monday, March 26/2012 at 9:35 pm

Jesus, 19 girls? Okay, I feel bad now. I really haven’t tried any of her makeup although I have some samples…

Kate
Thursday, March 22/2012 at 8:02 am

I have a much cheaper option- I use Ulta’s extreme Wear Creme Eyeshadow. It is a cream formula that comes in great colors- including darker ones. You just swipe them on, and then layer your regular eyeshadow over top. I always had problems with creasing until I used these- and they are $8 bucks each! What’s nice is because they are a colored eyeshadow to begin with, you don’t even need to layer if you are running out the door.

Marina(Makeup4all)
Thursday, March 22/2012 at 11:33 am

Thanks for the MUFE heads up!

Leah
Monday, April 2/2012 at 12:59 am

Being from Australia, I find it hard to believe that Canada ever gets hot enough to worry about your make up running! Unless you are all jogging to work or something haha. But seriously I don’t even think about this issue unless its over about 35 degrees celsius, in which case I wear nothing but some waterproof mascara for when I jump in the pool:)

andrea
Wednesday, April 4/2012 at 10:47 pm

the winters in canada are really cold, but the summers in canada are really hot too. should come visit during the summertime and see :)