Heavy duty Okay, ladies: Some of you are wearing too much makeup, and I feel like it’s all my fault

Giles Deacon 2010 makeup Okay, ladies: Some of you are wearing too much makeup, and I feel like it’s all my fault

So I went out for drinks last night. Oh wait—Trainer George, if you are reading this, NO OF COURSE I DON’T DRINK.

Anyway, I was waiting in line at one of Toronto’s finest hotspots with another beauty-minded friend, and we couldn’t help but notice All.Of.The.Makeup. And not just because we work in the biz, mind you. I’m all for the sisterhood, and I hate pointing stuff like this out because if makeup makes you happy, then who am I to complain? But OMG, this was intervention-level stuff. Think goopy red lips, extreme amounts of bronzer, theatrical eyeshadow. (And this was an after-work bar. Imagine what happens when they’re not coming from the office?!?)

So I think it’s time I used this blog—my platform, as it were—for the greater good. We need to talk about this, because I do believe I’ve been an enabler for far too long.

The whole point of makeup

Is to look like you’re not wearing any. And also to perfect your complexion, enhance your features and make you look prettier.

Let’s remember this, okay? I mean, I love me an extreme runway trend as much as the next person, and it sure can be fun to play around with them for, say, a splashy evening out. But we too often forget that the people demonstrating said obvious makeup looks are 15-year-old freaks of nature with preternaturally plump and dewy skin and alien-esque features. ANYTHING looks good on them.

Gucci SS09 makeup Okay, ladies: Some of you are wearing too much makeup, and I feel like it’s all my fault

We mortals, on the other hand, have to be very, very careful. One false move and that’s how articles like this come about.

Not that I endorse doing your makeup specifically FOR men, of course. But I think far too often women get caught up in the marketing machine of beauty that tells us we HAVE to be wearing all of these kazillion products, especially colour products. (And this is where I feel terribly guilty as well, because I do tend to bang on perhaps a little too much about the joys of orange lipstick or turquoise eyeliner.)

And surely you’ve seen countless ads like this:

Maybelline New York ad Okay, ladies: Some of you are wearing too much makeup, and I feel like it’s all my fault

I’m not saying this can’t look good in real life, but from what I saw last night, it’s way riskier—I saw girls doing this type of shadow with heavy bronzer, skinny eyebrows, obvious lipstick. It was too much.

So I firmly believe that we all need to work on nailing the natural look FIRST. Which is where my next point comes in…

You should be spending at least 50% of your makeup application time on your SKIN

Okay, unless you are one of those aforementioned 15-year-old freaks. The rest of us need serious help—but far too often we rush through the skin stuff in order to get to the fun things like eyeliner and lipstick.

And that is how mistakes like this happen:

Catherine Zeta Jones bad bronzer Okay, ladies: Some of you are wearing too much makeup, and I feel like it’s all my fault

Catherine Zeta-Jones, in case you didn’t recognize her. Shocking, right?

Anyway, lest I confused you with the headline of this story, let me be clear that achieving perfect-looking skin can actually take quite a bit of makeup. (Cue Calvin Klein quote: “The best thing is to look natural, but it takes makeup to look natural.”) By “too much” I just mean makeup that other people can detect… which was definitely what I observed last night. Sadly, there was lots of CZJ skin in the house.

The good news is that there are so many skin-perfecting products now that do the job without being heavy or at all detectable.

I’m in love with this new Burberry Fresh Glow Luminous Fluid Base, which is a fantastic first step before the rest of your makeup (even if you’re just wearing concealer) to give your skin a, well, “fresh glow.”

Burberry Fresh Glow Luminous Fluid Base Okay, ladies: Some of you are wearing too much makeup, and I feel like it’s all my fault

I’ve also been using this new BB cream from Estée Lauder far more than my beloved MUFE HD foundation lately. (Check out this post for the scoop on BBs.) I have to say that it’s replaced the MAC one as my favourite of all the BB creams… and when I wore it for the first time to a beauty event a couple of weeks ago, NO LIE, three different editor friends told me my skin looked amazing. I had just come from a sesh with Trainer George, but STILL. I’ve been wearing it ever since.

Estee Lauder Daywear BB Multi Perfecting Beauty Benefit Creme SPF 35 Okay, ladies: Some of you are wearing too much makeup, and I feel like it’s all my fault

So yeah… consider lightening up, especially for the summertime, with a BB instead of a thicker, heavier foundation. Just remember that you’ll still need concealer—it can’t do everything.

Oh and speaking of concealer, make sure you’ve got one that isn’t too light for your skin tone. (Another faux pas I saw last night. God, I’m such a Mean Girl!) The best thing would be to get yourself down to Sephora post-haste and ask the makeup artist to colour-match you with one of Make Up For Ever’s HD concealers. The shade selection is incredible, and they give high coverage without being cakey.

Other skin things to keep in mind:

• Go easy on the bronzer. I’ve never been a fan, and after seeing all the bronzing going on last night, I think I may just ditch it completely this summer. I mean, it HAS been more than 10 years since J.Lo came out with that look. (And I think blush makes you look far more “healthy” than rubbing brown pigment all over your face.)
  • That said, listen to Carmindy (not me) when it comes to blush.
  • You know how I feel about shimmer.
  • Watch out for the Eagle. Also, the reverse Eagle.
  • Set your makeup with a colourless HD powder, which is less detectable than a tinted one, and use it only in the areas you get shiny.
  • A good tip for cutting the powdery feel is to spray your face with a facial mist as the final step in your makeup.
  • In general, LESS IS MORE.

Pick a feature, any feature

After you’ve nailed the skin thing, you want to choose between eyes and lips. Even though that rule is not really a rule anymore, based on runway developments such as this:

MFW F11 Emilio Pucci 2 Okay, ladies: Some of you are wearing too much makeup, and I feel like it’s all my fault

I just think it’s, again, too risky to walk out of the house with both eyes and lips emphasized unless you’re doing something deliberately dramatic for black tie, etc. Certainly not appropriate for guzzling beers on a patio in your skirt suit.

It’s really all about balance, so if you’re doing A Lip, please do keep the rest of the face bare and clean. Bit of blush, bit of shimmery neutral eyeshadow and mascara, and that’s it. Think this:

Luca Luca red lipstick Okay, ladies: Some of you are wearing too much makeup, and I feel like it’s all my fault

Not this:

Lips and eyes Okay, ladies: Some of you are wearing too much makeup, and I feel like it’s all my fault

Also note that high pigment plus high (vinyl) shine can be a bit intimidating. Wear at your own risk:

Gucci SS 2011 makeup 2 Okay, ladies: Some of you are wearing too much makeup, and I feel like it’s all my fault

For eyes, I’m all for smokin’ them up or flickin’ them out with lotsa liner… just make sure you follow the same rule and wear with just blush and ideally, lip balm. (I’m even finding gloss too much these days.)

In general, earthy shades that are in the same family as your skin tone—taupes and browns and beiges—are a safer choice for eyeshadow contouring versus high-contrast cool tones like charcoal. See how you don’t really even notice the eyeshadow here?

Versace Spring 2012 beauty Okay, ladies: Some of you are wearing too much makeup, and I feel like it’s all my fault

Itching to wear colour? Try what my beauty friend did last night and apply it as a sheer wash over the lid… or go for a single hit of bright liner either along the upper or lower lash lines.

One thing you should feel free to pile on

Mascara.

Lancome Hypnose Doll Lashes Mascara Okay, ladies: Some of you are wearing too much makeup, and I feel like it’s all my fault

WORD. As long as they’re not getting stupidly clumpy, and you’re not wearing Kardashian-styles fake ones, I have zero problem with extreme lashes.

Tell me:

Am I being a Mean Girl about this too-much-makeup business?
Do you agree that makeup’s primary purpose is to perfect and enhance?
Have you spotted any makeup disasters lately while out in the wild?

Get the products

Nomadic D
Friday, March 23/2012 at 1:12 pm

I think you are SO right on. I was actually just thinking this myself the other day, looking around, so many girls who wear makeup are wearing WAY too much makeup, and I think it’s better to err on the side of too little rather than too much. I’m also with you on the burberry foundation, I’m totally obsessed with it myself and haven’t even looked sideways at my armani or chanel in months. That stuff is holy grail material.

Brittany
Monday, March 26/2012 at 5:05 pm

I think you are being a little bit strict in terms of your make-up application “rules”. Emphasizing only one feature while doing your make-up is a far outdated rule. Of course you don’t want to see Jersey Shore style make-up at the bar, but as far as women following trends and wearing plenty of bright colour – not just a “sheer wash (what is the point of even purchasing colour cosmetics?) – I say go for it.
I work in the cosmetic industry and am a beauty blogger myself, and I must say I am absolutely shocked at your approach to make-up and beauty in general.

Monday, March 26/2012 at 7:25 pm

Wow, I never said there was a rule about emphasizing just one feature at once—in fact, I said the exact opposite! My point is just that you have to be more careful if you do this… and, from what I’m observing, a lot of women going for this look appear overdone.

As for bright colour—do you read this blog? I talk about it all the time. :) But for real life I believe the two easiest ways to wear it on the eyelids are as a wash over the lids or as liner. What do you suggest? I would love to check out your blog!

PS – Perhaps because you work in the cosmetic industry you have a different view of makeup and beauty than I do… I feel like a great deal of it is a big marketing machine and while I won’t argue it can be lots of fun, you definitely don’t have to follow makeup “trends” to look pretty. In fact following trends can get you into trouble which is the point of this post…

Monday, March 26/2012 at 7:18 pm

Wait – do you have the Burberry Fresh Glow or an actual foundation? What I have just illuminates… not much coverage though.

Nomadic D
Tuesday, March 27/2012 at 2:28 am

Yikes! I never thought this post would get so controversial when I first read it! I too am all for ladies experimenting, hell, I do it myself from time to time, but that’s for fun. I think the point is to not feel like you have to pile it all on to mask your actual face, and the idea that wearing tons of makeup is flattering is erroneous. And I don’t think we’re talking about playing up the eyes and the lips at the same time, I think we’re talking about loads of caked on heavy foundation, enough bronzer to change your skin tone 3 shades, and enough paint on your features to make the actual features invisible under all of it. Just my two cents.

As for the Burberry, my bad, I have the actual foundation. I don’t even know about this fresh glow stuff. I’m definitely going to have to look into it though, because the foundation is really truly the best foundation I’ve ever tried. Highly recommended. (and since we’re talking about sparse makeup here, for the record I don’t use it on my entire face, just where I need it, and the texture blends super seamlessly!)

Jenna
Friday, March 23/2012 at 1:36 pm

This has pretty much been my beauty philosophy for, well, ever! Although I’m even more minimalist than that. I don’t wear foundation! I think that what you’ve described above (clear skin, concealed parts where needed, lip balm mascara and maybe eyeliner/a bit of eye colour) can look stunning in a way a ‘full’ face can’t. I still love your runway reports though, gives me a point from which to tone it down by about 5000%!

Cassandra
Friday, March 23/2012 at 3:29 pm

I’ve always spent the most amount of time on my face makeup. I just started wearing bronzer, I think because of you!, but I don’t cake it on. I almost never wear eyeshadow, or even eye makeup besides mascara (because my lashes are blonde). I LOVEEEEEE blush, always have and always will! I also sometimes do that eye thing you mentioned now, the one with the light color on the inside. I like that.

But yeah, I’m wearing a lot more makeup now because of you.

Monday, March 26/2012 at 8:33 pm

Well I did say I was an enabler! :)
But yeah… more makeup isn’t a bad thing unless it specifically LOOKS like more makeup.
I love that we share the same views on blush!

Cassandra
Monday, March 26/2012 at 8:41 pm

You are, but it’s been really good for me. I do like bronzer a lot. I try not to be heavy handed.

I have always loved blush. It’s my one item I’d take to a desert island! I’ve been a blush whore since my teens, and proud of it!

We both also have finer hair and a tiny eyelid (I have deep set eyes).

Monday, March 26/2012 at 9:25 pm

Ha! We’re beauty twins!

Cassandra
Monday, March 26/2012 at 9:33 pm

I know! I’m so glad I found your blog. I liked it before I knew we had the same beauty issues, but now it’s so relevant for me!

Camille
Friday, March 23/2012 at 3:54 pm

This is so true! There’s a time and a place for certain makeup styles, but the real point of makeup is to enhance the beauty you already have!

Suzie
Friday, March 23/2012 at 4:03 pm

While I’ll agree that perhaps we ladies aren’t doing ourselves any favours when it comes to wearing too much makeup, I’m pretty offended that part of your advice is to make sure to avoid ending up as an example for the article you linked to (the one about avoiding “ugly” women in clubs). That article is ridiculous and insane. So we need to where makeup to make ourselves look better, but we better not wear too much because then we are tricking men into believing we are better looking than we actually are.
“If you can’t get the girl into a lighted area to check out her face, just grab a flashlight. Gotta be sure she’s not ugly before you commit!” URRRGH
Sorry just couldn’t get past that part of this post. Can’t stop rolling my eyes.
This may not be the most appropriate comment…Sorry Michelle. In general I really do love this blog and most of the advice!

Meg
Saturday, March 24/2012 at 7:36 pm

The club guy was a total pig. I loved how long his “simple request” was. :P

I do agree with this article, though. Ladies who overdo it with the makeup make me sad – it’s almost like they’re covering up their natural gorgeousness.

Monday, March 26/2012 at 8:38 pm

Oh that’s not really my advice here—I think women need to always make themselves happy first before worrying about men… in makeup and in life! But I do think we can get lost in a trends bubble and think “more is more” so it’s interesting to hear a guy’s perspective on makeup (as harsh as it is). He may be a pig, but I don’t think he’s wrong.

Courtney
Tuesday, March 27/2012 at 2:25 pm

I used to wear a ton of makeup on my face when I was younger. Simply because i LOVED makeup. A good male friend of mine very tastefully said to me one day, “You know, you don’t need all that makeup, you look better without it”. He was right.

I think that’s the point of that guy’s article (though not as tastefully spoken) and I also don’t think he wrong. And I’m sure most guys would agree with him. Even the nice ones have an opinion.

I believe that makeup should enhance what you have, to make you look and feel better while still looking like yourself. Judging by the story he told, I dont think that girl’s mask of makeup was doing that for her.

Marina(Makeup4All)
Friday, March 23/2012 at 6:47 pm

Great post, Michelle!
By the way, I’ve noticed that a lot of top MUAs don’t wear makeup at all. Recently Head of MUA for Pan Am told me that she doesn’t wear makeu-up at all.
As for the looks you’ve shows, I really love the one with orange lips and nails, I think it was Gucci SS.

Monday, March 26/2012 at 8:39 pm

Yes! I’ve noticed this too!
And you are correct – that’s Gucci S/S ’11.

Amber
Friday, March 23/2012 at 7:27 pm

I agree– I’m all for self-expression, but I worry about being so vamped up. Guys don’t want to meet one girl, then wake up to a new one (or maybe they do). My point is that I agree: “Pick a feature, Any Feature” and emphasize that– not all.

Vero
Friday, March 23/2012 at 7:30 pm

OHMYGODYES for real! There’s a girl who works at Club Monaco who (I swear) must apply her foundation with a trowel by the light of day before the sun comes up. Is there skin under there? Not to mention all the M.A.C. employees who must have given her personal, one-on-one training…No offense, but it kind of throws me off when I visit the M.A.C. counter and hesitate to ask anyone for help because I look at their makeup and doubt their ability to give me good advice. I feel kinda wrong saying this, but is there maybe a secret collective of people who agree with me, but don’t speak up for fear of rocking the makeup boat?
That said, I just purchased a cremeblend blush from their spring collection, in “Florida” (yes, Fuchsia!) and I think it’s glorious.

Ilse
Sunday, March 25/2012 at 1:20 pm

Ha ha! I find those girls so frustrating. I meet a lot of them at 7 in the morning, at the train station heading to work/school. They look like they spent hours with a bucket of cheap foundation and a paintbrush in an effort to cover up every single inch of skin on their face, not to mention the insane amounts of eye make-up, fake lashes and blusher. It looks horrendous, even more because it is 7 A.M. and, why on earth would you get up before the break of day to ruin your face?

I don’t particularly like going into M.A.C. stores either. I like some of their products, but the brand doesn’t speak to me overall. Maybe it does have something to do with the way their employees cake on the make-up. I don’t know how bad it is in different shops back where you live, but most make-up salesgirls here make terrible make-up choices. I wouldn’t ask them for advice. Which is, in turn, the main reason I started reading beauty blogs. :)

Courtney
Tuesday, March 27/2012 at 2:31 pm

LMAO! I almost never ask for advice at a MAC counter!!

Not sure if it’s true for MAC, but word to the wise, many people that work at makeup counters don’t have ANY solid professional makeup training.

Elaine K
Friday, March 23/2012 at 9:03 pm

That pink lipstick on the model is to die for! And i’m not even a lipstick person. And I’m definitely not a pink person. I want to run out and get this right now..
Oh the irony of this particular article making me want to get a new colour product.

Interesting points nonetheless. Is it just me or does there seem to be a blusher epidmeic going on? I know I have gotten totally into blusher lately (partly because of Michelle’s influence and partly because I can’t leave the house before saying hello to my super lovely armani blushing fabic blusher) but i feel like everyone has gone blusher mad on nights out. Is it a facebook influence do you think and people are very aware that their photo will be taken. Makeup that looks great and natural in person doesn’t necessarily look great when someone takes a quick pic of you in a sweaty bar at 11pm on a friday.

Monday, March 26/2012 at 8:42 pm

The Armani Blushing Fabric is AMAZE! But damn, I didn’t know there was an epidemic. (Am I rubbing off on people?) I’ve been trying to cut back lately… actually using a lot of the MUFE HD blush which is a little more subtle than my Armani and YSL.

Tasha
Friday, March 23/2012 at 9:14 pm

I totally agree!! A few years back when the red lip became popular I used to (and still do) cringe when I saw girls wearing it with a heavy smokey eye. NO!! Choose one or the other!! :)
As for complexion I’m a die-hard fan of mineral makeup -the real, natural stuff. Unless of course it is applied with a paint brush.

And NO Michelle – you are not being mean, this is what you do!!

Monday, March 26/2012 at 8:43 pm

Which mineral makeup do you use?

Natalie
Saturday, March 24/2012 at 12:44 am

Interesting article. I agree on some points, and disagree on some as well.
Really don’t like the whole avoiding ugly women in bars thing-seriously I could give a rats ass what a guy thinks of my makeup. That article is just not cool.
Yes, I agree some women overdo it, but I think makeup is a great form of self expression as well. If girls want to walk around with black eyeliner all around their eyes, then I say go for it. It’s not my cuppa tea, but who I am I to judge.

Monday, March 26/2012 at 8:46 pm

I agree about self-expression… to a point. For some people theatrical makeup can be a crutch; they’re scared to go bare-faced and show the “real them” because they are insecure.

(And no not talking about people with skin issues who need heavy foundation to cover up… that’s a whole other story with which I sympathize.)

Lisa
Wednesday, March 28/2012 at 3:40 pm

I am so glad you said that about skin issues!! I used to have really bad acne problems, and just to run out to the store I would have to spend at least 10 minutes applying concealers and powders over my many cystic acne and regular acne and scars. It was horribly depressing. I lucklily have fairly good skin now (finally- into my 30′s!) and I feel so lucky and happy that I can literally have my skin look good enough for the day with a bit of concealer, a fast swipe of translucent powder, and some blush!

I do need to add that though I am not a fan of the “bronzed look”, a bit of bronzer on nights out when I am putting a bit more effort into my look helps my face match my body. I have a lighter face- prob from sunscreen, and I use just a touch of matte bronzer to just slightly warm things up. I think some of us like me- who have olive skin but tend to go really pale in the face kinda need it not not look eagle-like!

Rochelle
Saturday, March 24/2012 at 2:09 am

I completely agree. Don’t worry, you aren’t responsible for these girls leaving the house looking like drag queens, they have a mirror don’t they? Although I agree that girls can often go over board with the colour of their lipstick and eyeshadow, the absolute worst is fake tan/bronzer. I know so many girls who have the worst fake tan you have ever seen, it’s not at all even and in some areas appears as if it is peeling off. Lots of girls also take bronzer too far, I mean it’s only meant to add a bit of colour. So often their faces are a different colour to their necks, YUCK.

Personally, I always aim at a more natural look. On a day to day basis I will wear, foundation, concealer, translucent powder, blush and eyebrow pencil.

That ‘AskMen’ article is horrible. That poor girl! I don’t aim to please men with my makeup, mostly because they wouldn’t know the first thing about it.

Great article!

Monday, March 26/2012 at 8:47 pm

YES! I have to agree about overdone fake tan + bronzer being the worst offenses. I’m tempted to skip both this season…

Sophia
Saturday, March 24/2012 at 2:09 pm

We as women are stuck in a bit of a bind with this… we are expected to have perfect skin and appear as flawless as possible, but we aren’t supposed to look like we’ve done anything to perfect ourselves. Ultimately, the only winners are the people born lucky and look equally good with or without make up.

If you’re a girl who likes to work some kind of runway look or bold lip, don’t you want to meet a guy who is into that and not some asshole who is going to shine a flashlight on you to see if he deems you worthy?

I’m all for tastefulness, but we have to remember that going minimalist requires a certain confidence and good fortune. Problem skin is especially difficult/frustrating to deal with and light coverage might not be enough to make you feel good about going out, being photographed, etc. That said, I think we should be especially attentive to perfectly matching foundation/concealer to our skin tone and texture, especially if you are wearing high coverage stuff.

We should all just do what makes us happiest.

QuiteLight
Monday, March 26/2012 at 2:57 pm

I think you nailed it in a couple of places, Sophia. I like to go without foundation, but my easily irritated skin looks red & sore too often for me to feel really confident doing that at work. I can only imagine if I was battling acne.

A lot of women cover up their insecurities with makeup. I think the high-maintenance look of the Kardashian’s & J.Lo have really sold a new generation women on the idea that they can paint a glamorous face on over their own. If you don’t think yours is up to snuff, that must be pretty tempting.

As to the eyes OR lips thing; I love the look of light/bare eyes with red lips on others, but my smallish eyes disappear without definition. It’s a tough balancing act, so I usually give up & just do eyes. Someday, red lips….

If it makes you happy, go for it. Just accept not everyone will like it!

Monday, March 26/2012 at 9:00 pm

Let’s blame Kim Kardashian! I’m all for that.

As for red lips, I think defining the eyes a bit is fine… it’s a dramatic smoky eye with them that made me want to do a beauty intervention!

Monday, March 26/2012 at 8:56 pm

I agree that it’s tough if you have problem skin, and no I’m not endorsing minimal coverage in that case…. The good news is that they’re making a lot “smarter” foundations and concealers these days that really do look natural and not cakey while still covering flaws. And of course you are 100% correct that colour matching is KEY.

And I’m not saying *don’t* do a runway look—just saying to execute it properly so that you still look fresh.

Of course you want to meet a guy who appreciates your style…. but if I may make a broad generalization (which you can feel free to ignore), I believe most men have a preference for subtle, low-key makeup. Don’t shoot the messenger. :)

Emma
Saturday, March 24/2012 at 5:25 pm

Thank you thank you!! I think your next intervention piece should be on false eyelashes. Scaaary!!!

Monday, March 26/2012 at 9:02 pm

Oh I know! I don’t even like lash extensions—maybe I’m only noticing the bad ones though because they look so obvious.
I’m quite happy with my Latisse…

Yasmine
Sunday, March 25/2012 at 1:00 am

God I love your blog.

Monday, March 26/2012 at 9:02 pm

Thank you! :)

Lauren
Sunday, March 25/2012 at 1:56 am

I completely agree with this. I always wear concealer. If I do a bright lip, I don’t wear anything else. If I do winged eyeliner, same. The only time I do eyes, lips, and cheeks at the same time is when I use a sheer nude.

Ilse
Sunday, March 25/2012 at 12:54 pm

I totally agree with you on spending waaaaay more time on skin. Skin is what makes you look amazing and there are so many great products out there that can make your skin look like silk without putting any make-up on. Except when it comes to night-time cleansing, I don’t actually have a standard morning routine. Instead I wake up, look at my skin and see what it needs that day. I find it way easier to pick a look if my skin is in optimal condition, because it just makes you that much more confident.

Monday, March 26/2012 at 9:03 pm

So true! Agree with every word. Great skin should be the goal—through products, diet, lifestyle, exercise, SLEEP—and then makeup is just the icing on the cake.

Ilse
Friday, March 30/2012 at 1:52 pm

I must say that I know more about my skin and how to keep it looking healthy since I started reading your blog, so thank you for that :) (cod liver oil!! amazing.)

Christina
Monday, March 26/2012 at 1:51 pm

I am considering the Estee Lauder BB Cream. Do you apply it with your fingers or a brush? What is the finish like? Lasting power? Thanks !

Monday, March 26/2012 at 9:06 pm

Hi! They’re meant to be applied with fingers and you should use quite a generous amount. It’s more about getting all-over glowy skin instead of specific coverage.
See this post—got the instructions from M.A.C’s VP of makeup artistry: http://beautyeditor.ca/2012/01/18/bb-creams-are-the-next-big-thing-in-beauty-but-are-they-right-for-you-heres-how-to-decide/

Monday, March 26/2012 at 9:06 pm

PS – I just got sent a sample of Stila’s new BB and it’s quite good too… maybe just slightly less coverage than Estee though. I would check out both!

veronica
Monday, March 26/2012 at 6:38 pm

I totally agree that it seems like people are wearing way too much makeup lately! The other day, i saw this woman wearing a light peach lip….with a ring of cinnamon lipliner around her mouth!!!!! Plus smoky eyes.

Monday, March 26/2012 at 9:08 pm

Ew! Dark lip liner with light lipstick is one of the ultimate beauty crimes!

Melissa
Tuesday, March 27/2012 at 11:47 am

Does anyone know where in Canada we can purchase the Burberry Fresh Glow Luminous Fluid Base? It is not listed on their Canadian website.

Denise
Wednesday, March 28/2012 at 9:31 am

I agree with this post for the most part. I know young girls are kind of hyperexperimenting, it’s how you find what works for you and what doesn’t and how you found your personal things. Which is great because they are about the only ones who can pull it off. My makeup limit is and has always pretty much been, to keep it so no one will ever be shocked to see me sans. Everyone has had that experience of seeing that female without the mask and jaw hitting floor. My worst fear.
In my life I’m by far the most interested in and educated about cosmetics but excluding the ladies who wear none at all I wear the least. I like owning it, and knowing how to rock it well, but I don’t. I have an trunk full, yet my everyday musthaves are only tinted moisturizer, brow pencil/powder, and lips(balm, gloss, etc varies). Not even mascara I just curl my lashes several times a day( long but straight). I’m really considering that heated lash curler if Michelle or anyone else could answer this- Is it worth it if you don’t use mascara?
Also Michelle I love that you change your mind all the time as with the bb’s creams both in brand and your love for them.
Last but not least, is anyone else as in love as me with the entire Burberry makeup line? I was on the web site last month and although I must admit Burberry is my absolute favorite “house” their makeup is like someone picked my brain for what I thought it would take to create the perfect cosmetic line. No kidding. Every single item is perfection down to the packaging and lipstick moldings.

Chelsea C
Thursday, March 29/2012 at 10:31 pm

Great article. Even here in little ol Coquitlam, BC you go to the mall and see these poor girls/women that are wearing too many crazy colors all at once. They are not picking that one special feature and playing up on it, but over exaggerating all their features. It’s too much! I see way too much bronzing going on. Way too much smokey eye with too much concealing underneath (i.e. Kim K) Don’t these girls look in the mirror when they apply or in the rear view mirror as they are driving in the daylight. They look like oompa loompa’s! Hope I didn’t offend anyone! But less is more effective. Guys like natural!

Hannah
Thursday, March 29/2012 at 10:57 pm

I’ve had this thought before. I’ve noticed that I’ve started to wear more makeup, more obvious makeup, and it really isn’t my style. I think it’s an influence of watching Youtube “gurus.” I honestly have started to think that the Youtube “guru” pandemic has made many girls and women think more about more products, which leads them to put more products on their face. I especially notice this with regards to high coverage foundation. Many young women seem to really be piling on the heavy foundation, even during the day. Just because someone on Youtube loves it and uses it basically as stage makeup to look perfect on camera does not mean you need to use it in real life.

The most gorgeous looks in my opinion… http://www.style.com/fashionshows/detail/F2012RTW-JLSANDER and http://www.style.com/fashionshows/detail/S2012RTW-JLSANDER (minus the heavy foundation in the second one, although I think that was part of the look)

Michelle
Sunday, April 15/2012 at 1:49 pm

I agree. Too much makeup looks really bad. I used to wear way too much (oily skin and acne made it kinda necessary I guess) but now that my skin is finally clear, I do without most makeup except mascara, a touch of blush and sometimes a little eyeliner. For night, I add lipstick. Anything else is too much for me and feels like a mask.

Lilit
Thursday, August 23/2012 at 3:52 pm

Well said! As a makeup artist, I feel guilty a bit, about preaching various products. But I always emphasize LESS IS MORE and SKINCARE on my blogs as well. Girls spend too much money on makeup and not enough on skincare. This is why I concentrate on the “natural makeup look” so much…they can look flawless without so much color everywhere on their face. Love your blogs, keep em coming!

Jhalisa
Wednesday, August 29/2012 at 1:10 pm

You’re not being a Mean Girl. In fact, I totally agree. Some girls really overdo it. I just started college and when I see my friends from high school at a club or some place like the mall, I’m just like “Seriously?” The amount of eye shadow, eye liner and powder they wear is not even funny. Overly ridiculous! I’m not a make up type of girl. The women in my family never wore make up. I never saw my mom with eye liner or even lip gloss on. So I grew up loving and learning to take care of my natural skin. I’m 18 now, and my friends have really influenced me to try make up. It’s fun, yes, but all I really wear is mascara and lip gloss. And that’s when I’m going out. I’d hate to reach a point where I can’t leave my house without an entire “face” of make up, as my friends call it. To me, make up is good for really special occasions like weddings and stuff. Other than that, I don’t see the need to get all made up to go to the mall or a bar :/ Keep it simple! Lip balm and mascara is all a girl really needs :) The main focus should be on taking care of your skin. Healthy skin is beautiful!!!

Paula haigood
Monday, September 3/2012 at 10:28 pm

I have golden brown eyes, what eye color should I ware on my eyes?

Tara
Thursday, September 20/2012 at 5:04 am

So I randomly googled: “Why do girls try so hard to look pretty?” In my mind, i was thinking of all the extra products that some of use women uses on our faces to look “pretty.”

In reading your post, I have to say it rings true for me. So the “rule” of pick one feature and enhance it isn’t at all a rule, to me at least it has always been a guildeline, a simple one to follow to not overdo it. Its easy to get carried away and cake it on.

Those in the industry may not find that guideline to be a guideline at all as maybe, they have experience and the skills to balance that look. For others of use who do not have that type of training/experience, its simply just a way to help prevent disasters.

People use make for many different reasons, but I have to be fair and make this point. When there are products out there that woman uses to achieve this look:

I feel kind of sorry for guys because this isn’t maybe what they thought they bargained for.

Katie
Friday, September 28/2012 at 12:30 am

Makeup is not necessary. Women are beautiful in their natural skin, why paint yourself to be something your not? Girls usually end up having bad skin while using makeup and guys like girls who look NATURAL. Makeup is a mask, and keeping it natural gives you the benefit of saving yourself from all this “makeup” and lots of people personally dislike it, guys included… only because it is completely unnecessary.

Liz
Friday, July 26/2013 at 1:00 am

Girls will wear whatever they want and whatever makes them
Happy and comfortable. You can’t change there minds.

LayLow
Tuesday, September 10/2013 at 5:24 pm

Love this post!

TOTES agree that more often than not, too much shading/contouring/ highlighting makeup is overkill and actually ridiculous looking.

Brittany, I am amused that you are shocked by Michelle’s attitude towards makeup and beauty.

Babs
Saturday, November 23/2013 at 7:04 pm

I think to say it’s “all your fault” would be flattering yourself just a little too much. If anything I’d be blaming YouTube beauty gurus who come up with these overdone looks.

Saturday, November 23/2013 at 8:33 pm

You might be taking the title a little too literally :)

Amber
Monday, February 3/2014 at 10:21 pm

I think you are being a bit too strict and conservative with the makeup rules that you wrote about above. While I agree that women should be careful not to overdo it with bronzer and such, I think it’s fine to play around with makeup and experiment with less “natural” looks if that’s what a woman wants to wear on her face. I don’t think eyeshadow should always be taupe, brown, or beige (hey, what happened to shades of green, blue, etc?) and that it’s ok to play up both your lips and eyes so long as the overall look is in balance and not overdone. Also, sometimes women don’t just want to go for the “no makeup” look–that’s not everyone’s beauty standard and can frankly be a little boring, so women should feel free to experiment and try out different looks as they want. There’s no one way that women should look or strive to look with their makeup, which you seem to be suggesting should be the case in your article. How you decide to wear your makeup is one thing, but I don’t think it should be a standard for how ALL women should wear their makeup.

LayLow
Tuesday, February 4/2014 at 9:39 am

Oh, this was one of my favorite posts, Michelle!

There is nothing wrong with experimenting, and I think this site in particular encourages trying new products, techniques, bending the rules and even making up some of our own.

I’m still heartily agreeing with you, Michelle.

Not to sound melodramatic, but this blog has transformed my makeup & beauty life.