SPONSORED: I received free samples from Procter & Gamble in preparation of writing this piece. This post reflects my personal opinion and was not influenced by the sponsors.
Road trips can be So Much Fun... but they also have the potential to go horribly wrong. You know what I'm talking about. Whether you're travelling with a friend or a significant other, nothing tests your relationship like being crammed together in a car for hours on end. Just sayin'.
But that's only if you're not prepared. Here are five things to keep in mind before you hit the road:
1. Discuss the driving. Are you going to alternate? Or does your car-mate prefer doing most, or none, of the driving? Figure it out in advance, and discuss what you're both comfortable with. (Personally, a drive through Montreal, at night, in rush hour, is my worst nightmare. You?)
2. Be helpful. When you're not behind the wheel, try to be of service. It's only fair. Have the map on hand so you can handle navigation. And keep your driver friend well-fed and watered. (Pass his beverage with a straw so he can take sips, and give him bite-sized portions of the snacks so he can keep concentrating on the road.)
3. Share the entertainment. Fighting over music is such a buzzkill! Obviously, it's better if you can agree in advance on your road trip playlist... but if not, decide who gets control—the driver? Or will you split the tune time 50/50?
4. Take driving breaks. Frequent pit stops are what road trips are all about, peeps. Think tacky tourist traps, roadside fruit and vegetable sellers and scenic viewpoints. This is one instance where it's more about the journey than the destination. A couple of my faves: The Big Apple on the 401 enroute to Kingston, and Magnetic Hill in NB.
5. Bring Febreze CAR Vent Clips: A fresh-smelling car makes for happy travellers. I swear! This is the newest Febreze product and it's awesome: you just clip it to your car's air vent, and it will continuously emit one of five scents for up to 30 days (on low, under ambient conditions). The best part is that they're actually eliminating unpleasant odours as they work.
ENTER TO WIN: Febreze and ChickAdvisor.com are hosting a gas card giveaway. Enter now for your chance to win a $50 gas gift card plus a CAR Vent Clip from Febreze!
* No purchase necessary. Limit of one entry per person. Open only to residents of Canada (excluding Quebec), must be age of majority. Contest closes April 29, 2012. Skill testing question required. Odds of winning depend on number of eligible entries received. Total approximate retail value of Febreze Car prize pack is $52.99 CDN. See full rules.