ACM Awards ’12: OMG, Taylor Swift looks amazing! Plus: Carrie Underwood’s makeup mask; Nicole Kidman’s upper lip

Taylor Swift - ACM Awards 2012

Last night, the Academy of Country Music gave out some awards. No, I didn’t watch—frankly, I wasn’t even going to cover it on here until I saw the pics. And then I knew we had to talk.

May I direct your attention to just three female celebs? There is the good (Taylor Swift), the bad (Carrie Underwood) and the… well, not ugly, but let’s say problematic (Nicole Kidman). Basically, everything you want in an awards show when Monday morning beauty judgements are what gets you through.

Let’s start with Taylor.

Taylor Swift ACM Awards 2012 ACM Awards 12: OMG, Taylor Swift looks amazing! Plus: Carrie Underwoods makeup mask; Nicole Kidmans upper lip

Did you just fall off your chair? I pretty much did when I saw this shot. After all the begging, pleading, nit-picking, wondering… WHEN is this girl going to ditch the twee side-bangs and heavy eyeliner and cherry lips? Finally she comes through.

I feel like my work is done here.

Let’s talk about the hair first. I die over the colour—never thought I’d support ashy blonde, but that’s why you never say never in the beauty biz. The lengths have just the right amount of bend, and the bangs are the absolute perfect length, just grazing below her eyebrows. Damn, why didn’t mine ever fall like that when I had a fringe?

Now let’s move in a bit closer:

Taylor Swift ACM Awards 2012 close up ACM Awards 12: OMG, Taylor Swift looks amazing! Plus: Carrie Underwoods makeup mask; Nicole Kidmans upper lip

So obviously for the red carpet, the makeup is heavier than what you’d wear in real life. But I think she’s done a nice job on the base, which still looks pretty natural, and I love that peachy blush colour. While I could do without the false lashes, what’s great about the eyes is that bronze shadow both along the upper and lower lash lines. SEE: if there’s one new eye makeup thing you invest in for 2012, I do believe it should be something bronzey (shadow or liner).

I’m detecting a hint of visible liner on the bottom lip, but other than that, I approve of the colour, and appreciate that it’s not too glossy/goopy.

Oh, and I appreciate it even more—ALL of it—when I look at this photo of Carrie.

Carrie Underwood ACM Awards 2012 ACM Awards 12: OMG, Taylor Swift looks amazing! Plus: Carrie Underwoods makeup mask; Nicole Kidmans upper lip

Is that a country music singer or the new star of some new Hugh Hefner Girls Next Door show?

I’m serious. How is that Kendra (for example) has better hair and makeup than a legit celeb like Carrie?

It kills me because underneath it all, Carrie is actually quite pretty. But I guess all the money in the world and a hot hockey husband still doesn’t make you realize you need to fire your “people” and get proper makeup and hair help.

Speaking of the latter, let’s just touch on the colour for a moment. It’s obviously too light for her skin tone, although admittedly, it’s hard to tell with all that makeup on. It’s also two tones: more platinum at the top (and I dislike that shadowy part at the roots), and more brassy at the bottom. Colour correction needed, stat!

Of course, the hair issues are minor compared to this:

Carrie Underwood ACM Awards 2012 close up ACM Awards 12: OMG, Taylor Swift looks amazing! Plus: Carrie Underwoods makeup mask; Nicole Kidmans upper lip

It’s a MASK. I feel like you could peel it right off and then we’d all be relieved it was just a bad dream or an April Fool’s joke.

The thing is, she doesn’t have bad skin—she’s a spokesperson for Olay, for crying out loud—so I don’t get the need for all this foundation.

Same with the overly penciled, too-dark eyebrows; harsh black eyeliner; full false eyelashes; and mega-glossy lips and lip liner. It ain’t cute, and someone needs to take a cue from Taylor Swift on how to do red carpet makeup.

Finally, we have my friend Nicole, who (as you know), people always tell me I look like. Clearly, that needs to stop:

Nicole Kidman ACM Awards 2012 ACM Awards 12: OMG, Taylor Swift looks amazing! Plus: Carrie Underwoods makeup mask; Nicole Kidmans upper lip

It’s not so much the hair (although it IS bad), or the makeup (which is fine). It’s the FREAKING LIPS.

Let’s zoom in.

Nicole Kidman ACM Awards 2012 close up ACM Awards 12: OMG, Taylor Swift looks amazing! Plus: Carrie Underwoods makeup mask; Nicole Kidmans upper lip

Do you understand this? Because I don’t. I mean, I know there’s some kind of injectable at work there, and has been for a long time… but why is it curling like that, and crookedly, and showing so much of the gum line??

If anyone can enlighten me, please do.

Are you as blown away as I am with Taylor Swift’s look here?
How much do you want to chase after Carrie Underwood with a makeup wipe?
What do YOU think is going on with Nicole Kidman’s lips, and why is she okay with letting them out in public?

Karla
Monday, April 2/2012 at 11:01 am

Nicole Kidman’s lips do look off…way, way off! I have noticed, for a few years now, that whenever she smiles her upper lip somehow curls inward. It may look strange to us but I think she was just born with a thin upper lip that curls when she smiles. Check out the pic in this link: http://entertainment.ca.msn.com/celebs/photos/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=26027554&page=5
If you try and Google pics of Nicole, you will notice that (during the Tom Cruise era) she hardly does a full on toothy smile for the cameras.

Renee | Beauty Fool
Monday, April 2/2012 at 12:25 pm

O. M. G. Taylor Swift… as if I cannot love her enough! Possibly my favorite look of hers of ALL time. Gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing.

Michelle, have you tried out Taylor’s perfume, Wonderstruck? I’m usually skeptical of celeb perfumes (and bored by them), but hers is SO good.

Jane
Monday, April 2/2012 at 12:30 pm

Wow! Just when I think I will stay golden forever and never go ashy again, hair as gorgeous as Taylor’s pops up! Stunning. Love her bronze eye make up, the sweet nude lip and the peachy blush too! Maybe the warm make up balances the cool hair colour? Whatever it is, it works.
Carrie….just stop. All bad. And Nicole, well it makes me sad. Firstly I think too much keratin/straightening has caused her hair to snap off as it looks so thin and awful. Her curls are goddess gorgeous- why fight them? Nicole & Carrie both have mask make up. Not good.

Jenna
Wednesday, April 4/2012 at 6:05 pm

I agree with what you’re saying about Nicole’s curls. As much as our lovey blogger here pleads with Taylor to do something different with hers, I quite like that Taylor usually doesn’t fight her hair texture. It means it’s going to remain healthy, and we all swoon when she does have it straight, makes much more of an impact.

Courtney
Monday, April 2/2012 at 12:50 pm

I saw that picture of Taylor earlier today….I’ve never seen her look better!

Kharina
Monday, April 2/2012 at 1:13 pm

Carrie looks like Barbie – plastic. Her skin just looked completely flat and dead, no glow or health, really unappealing. Chuffed to bit about Taylor – FINALLY she is looking her age!!! I just hoped someone would have ditched those blasted spiders away from her eyes. I frickin’ hate them!!!!

Lisa
Monday, April 2/2012 at 1:38 pm

I have a theory on Nicole’s lip. I think that perhaps she is weaning herself off doing whatever she has been doing for so long to her lips, and her lips are returning to their natural state. Her lips don’t look as puffy and fake in this pic as they have in recent years to me! I recall her having thin lips and a bit of a gummy smile before messing with her face….. See here:

MissDee
Monday, April 2/2012 at 3:03 pm

I know when I smile, my lip kind of does the same thing… It disappears a little lol… The colour is bad, no shimmer or gloss for little lips I always say. Sure they say it makes them look big, but sometimes emphasises the smallness or thiness!

Zennia
Monday, April 2/2012 at 5:53 pm

Nicole Kidman’s lips look like they’re deflating.
Potentially she stopped filling them and now they look like a post-party balloon…so sad.

Better this than her duck lips though.

Katsy
Monday, April 2/2012 at 10:36 pm

Nicole always had a little bit of gums showing, even when she was much younger, but I think a bad facelift would explain the tugging.. it feels like her actual lip is not large enough to follow the rest of the face, if you know what I mean. Look on the bright side though, you can always say you’re a better version of Nicole Kidman now :P

Pr
Tuesday, April 3/2012 at 12:21 am

Does anyone know a dupe for taylor swifts lip colour? I want that colour!

Cassandra
Tuesday, April 3/2012 at 2:15 am

I want a dupe for that and the blush, especially the blush. Help us out here, Michelle!

Cassandra
Tuesday, April 3/2012 at 1:59 am

I love everything about T’s look here! Gorgeous. I’m adding those bangs and that hair color to my file for future do’s. I’m also not gaga over the fake lashes, but whatever. Her’s aren’t too offensive.

I thought the EXACT same thing about Carrie! Oh my god, but I thought she looked like Holly. :) I actually really like Kendra, she seems so genuine and she’s funny. I had the same thoughts as you basically. Her eyebrows are too dark, she needs to have them lightened. They also need to grow in a bit, the inner corners are missing and that ages her. The hair tone is off. The makeup is too heavy and I don’t think she needs it (lucky girl!). I love Carrie, I love her music and I like her personality, so I feel sad that I am saying not so nice things about her.

Poor Nicole. That hair….it’s just awful. I can’t see what kind of look they were going for at all. I like that her lips are natural. I’m not a fan of too much gum showing, but you wrote an article on how to get rid of that sooo, she should do that. I do like the lips natural though, much better! If her hair was looking nice here, she’d look fine. It’s the hair….Her makeup actually looks very nice.

rubymajik
Friday, April 6/2012 at 1:29 am

‘Our Nicole’ looks a lot better at this years awards than she did at least year’s http://www.hollywoodbackwash.com/nicole-kidmans-wonky-botox-face-at-acm-awards/

Allycat
Saturday, April 7/2012 at 12:48 pm

Nicole’s eye are so red too! Ugh…poor gal. I love Taylors look also. I cannot EVER get down with the un-natural …honest, natural beauty without fake hair, fake hair color that doesn’t truly exist, fake mask looking skin, fake booby balls, fake nails, fake lashes, fake fake fake….yuk yuk yuk…..and on another note tons of tattoos all over a women…TRIPLE YUK!