I’ve decided on my spring fragrance this year—have you? Here are 10 new scents you should know about

Carolina Herrera - Spring 2012 backstage

So the weather outside may be frightful. (Did anyone leave the house last night? OMG, I nearly caught hypothermia on the way home.) But that doesn’t change the fact that next week we’ll be in May. MAY! How that happened, I don’t know—but May flat out requires a scent to go with. Meaning a spring one. Yes, even if the weather isn’t quite co-operating yet.

I’m not really a signature scent person—the more beauty products, the better, I always say*—so switching up your fragrance with the seasons is definitely something I encourage. *And this sentence in turn will encourage earnest commenters like the one who dropped by last week to tell me I am “vapid,” “insecure,” and that “nobody needs this many products in their life.” Ha!

That may all be true, actually, but whatevs—I am here to be servicey, and today’s service is to tell you what’s new in spring scents. In case you’re in the market for one. I’ve got mine already picked out, so read on…

Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection for Women

Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection for Women Ive decided on my spring fragrance this year—have you? Here are 10 new scents you should know about

I was always jells of the boys for having these Big Pony fragrances. The preppiness of it all makes me happy in an OCD kind of way. Now there’s a whole collection just for women… and you might think they’d all be pretty sporty, but you’d be wrong. Only #1 is (it has grapefruit and blue lotus). Big Pony #2 is a “fruity sensual” (with cranberry and Tonka mousse, whatever that is); #3 is a “radiant floral” (pear and mimosa); and #4 is a more traditional oriental (with wild cherry and purple amber). They actually have a quiz here to help you decide which one suits your personality. It might be fairly accurate because it chose #4 for me, which was the scent I liked best too…. with #2 a close second.

PS – For the sake of my top 10 list, I’m counting these as one scent… since a top 13 just isn’t very catchy.

Diane by Diane von Furstenberg

Diane by Diane von Furstenberg EDT and EDP Ive decided on my spring fragrance this year—have you? Here are 10 new scents you should know about

Do you work in an office? Because this could be the ultimate springtime office scent. Kinda like the signature DVF wrap dresses. It’s available as both an EDT and an EDP, and Diane describes it as “powerful and seductive, without being aggressive.” I don’t get anything seductive—and who wants to be seductive in an office?—even though there are lots of woody notes (patchouli, myrrh, musk). Maybe they’ve been tempered by the frangipani and violet. Anyway, together they make for a very pleasant, clean, quietly sophisticated scent. Truthfully, this one is not at all “me,” but take that with a very large grain of salt because I come from the very non-office-esque world of magazines.

Valentino Valentina

Valentino Valentina Eau de Parfum Ive decided on my spring fragrance this year—have you? Here are 10 new scents you should know about

This one’s a floriental, and it was WAY sweet for me on first spritz. That’s the opening strawberry-citrus note (one which, in my experience, can get a bit too Toddlers and Tiaras at times). But if you give it a chance, this thankfully dries down to something a lot more fresh and wearable, kind of like a white floral. The other notes are bergamot, jasmine, orange blossom, tuberose, cedar and truffle, and they make for an extremely pretty—if understated—scent. The flower-adorned packaging is also gorge.

L’Eau de Chloé

LEau de Chloe Ive decided on my spring fragrance this year—have you? Here are 10 new scents you should know aboutIs there anything prettier than a Chloé perfume bottle? I think not. This scent is an updated version of the 2008 Chloé. I can’t remember what that smelled like, but I’m totally digging this. It kind of reminds me of Calyx a little in that it has this big, bright opening of lemony citrus (supposed to be frozen lemonade, in fact). It’s a chypre for sure, so quite green, but there is also lots of rose and a faint hint of spiciness from some barely-detectable patchouli. This is another great daytime spring scent—for work OR play.

Stella McCartney L.I.L.Y

Stella McCartney L.I.L.Y Ive decided on my spring fragrance this year—have you? Here are 10 new scents you should know about

So Stella made this one as a tribute to her mom, Linda. And Lily (L.I.L.Y) was apparently Paul’s nickname for her—which stood for Linda I Love You. (Awww….) Lily, of course, is the main note here too. Isn’t it funny how Stella takes these old-lady flowers, first rose and now this, and totally modernizes them? That’s what happens when you mix lily of the valley with pink and black pepper, truffle, oak moss, patchouli, ambrette and white musk. You might not be a floral person, but I SWEAR this will grow on you. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how light, clean, non-generic and in fact, SEXY, this is. Yes, lily of the valley can be sexy. I said it!

Lancôme Ô de L’Orangerie

Lancome O de LOrangerie Ive decided on my spring fragrance this year—have you? Here are 10 new scents you should know about

I ripped this one out of its packaging right away when it arrived. Orange blossoms? Yes, please. (There needs to be more scents with that note, don’t you think?) Anyway, this is meant to transport you to an orange grove in France, or some such thing, and it does a pretty good job. Think green floral: the notes, besides the blossom, include orange zest, jasmine, benzoin and cedar. Now excuse me while I go check prices on flights to Nice.

Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gioia Satin Edition

Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gioia Satin Edition Ive decided on my spring fragrance this year—have you? Here are 10 new scents you should know about

Here’s one for you acquatic fragrance fans. It’s a new edition of 2010′s Acqua di Gioia, and it’s supposed to be more sensual and mysterious. Personally? I’m detecting more fruitiness than anything, but I admittedly have an “immature” nose. The notes here are fresh crushed and frozen mint leaves (YUM!), aquatic jasmine, lemon zest, brown sugar and cedar. Bonus: when you spray it on, it leaves behind the barest hint of subtle shimmer.

Givenchy Very Irrésistible Electric Rose

Givenchy Very Irrésistible Electric Rose Ive decided on my spring fragrance this year—have you? Here are 10 new scents you should know aboutIt feels like there has been a zillion versions of Very Irrésistible since the original first bounced on the scene in 2003. The latest is going for a rock ‘n roll vibe and has notes of blueberry, lemon zest, anise, rose, green violet and cedar. It’s a solid fruity floral to my nose—and Liv Tyler is back as the face. Perhaps you’ve seen the ads all over? When you buy it you get a free download of Liv singing a remixed version of INXS’ “Need You Tonight.” Is that a draw? I don’t know… you can also hear it on YouTube.

Anna Sui Fairy Dance Secret Wish

Anna Sui Fairy Dance Secret Wish Ive decided on my spring fragrance this year—have you? Here are 10 new scents you should know aboutConfession: I LOVE Anna Sui fragrances. Every single one she’s ever made, in fact. And it’s not just because the packaging is so darn cute (yes, I am five years old and I LIKE fairies sitting at the top of the cap). Anyway, the scents themselves always deliver for me: they’re feminine, fresh, clean and pretty—but not heavy, hit-you-over-the-head florals. So the latest, Fairy Dance is definitely entering my rotation. It’s supposed to be about a sunny day in an “enchanted” rose garden. (Again: it appeals to your inner five-year-old.) But who cares when the notes of tangerine, mango, pink pepper, rose, peony, bamboo, sandalwood, vetiver and vanilla all smell so wonderful? C’mon, try it!

Tom Ford Lavender Palm

Tom Ford Lavender Palm Eau de Parfum Ive decided on my spring fragrance this year—have you? Here are 10 new scents you should know about

So even though I love the Anna Sui, it still doesn’t hold a candle to my pick of the season… the only Tom Ford scent that I’ve ever loved. Like, head over heels love. (That’s why I’m bring it up again because yes, I know I mentioned it before. It’s THAT GOOD.) Don’t let the lavender scare you off. Tom interprets it in a wholly masculine way (sorta like how Stella modernizes her rose and lily of the valley… but better). The bergamot, lemon, lime blossom, clary sage, frankincense and woods make it completely sensual and sexy. But even though this is a unisex scent, you don’t feel like a man or anything while wearing it. Just kind of breezy and earthy and California-like… which is how I want to smell, and feel, this spring. You?

Tell me:

What scent(s) are you wearing for spring?
Have you tried any of these guys yet?
Do you have a favourite scent category—florals? Orientals? Acquatics?

Tanushka
Tuesday, April 24/2012 at 12:52 pm

I decided to ignore the spring scents this year ( maybe because there’s not too much of spring going on) and jumped into summer ones by getting Escada’s Island kiss. I completely enjoy its sweet tropical scent, too bad I can’t wear it a bit more often- it’s out of my age category!:)

Thursday, May 3/2012 at 2:16 pm

If you love it I say wear it! There used to be this perfume called Ageless (not sure if it’s still around) that was based on a study that found people perceived you as 10 yrs younger or something like that based on your fragrance. It was very fruity!

I have an Escada summer scent from a few years ago and still love it – it smells like strawberries but in the best way possible.

Melanie
Tuesday, April 24/2012 at 1:15 pm

I love Anna Sui fragrances too! I currently switch from Anna Sui’s Flight of Fancy and Lolita Lempicka. One is pretty fresh and springy the other not so much. For night time I like Forbidden Euphoria. I can’t make up my mind, i’m a fragrance addict!

Stefanie
Tuesday, April 24/2012 at 1:18 pm

I neeeeeed to know where to get the Lavender Palm! It sounds so up my alley. Also I hear it’s like a kazillion dollars…

Thursday, May 3/2012 at 2:17 pm

Yeah, it’s unfortunately VERY pricey ($215 for 50 mL). Harry Rosen carries it in Toronto (82 Bloor Street West), Calgary (TD Square) and Montreal (Les Cours Mont Royal). Think Holt Renfrew has it as well.

Lindsay
Tuesday, April 24/2012 at 1:19 pm

I’ve had a hankering for a new scent for a few months (I’m a regular Coco Mademoiselle user). I thought I wanted Chérie from Dior but the BF wasn’t into it. And since he has to smell me everyday, well, he gets a vote.

Imma hafto get my nose to The Bay pronto.

Also, who would read a beauty blog and leave you that lame comment? Geez. Go read some other blog then, lame commenter. IF THAT IS YOUR REAL NAME.

Thursday, May 3/2012 at 2:22 pm

Ha! Those kinds of comments always make me laugh though. Some people get really angry about beauty stuff…it’s interesting. There is a passage in Jean Godfrey-June’s book (she’s a beauty editor at Lucky) that talks about these people. Basically, that everyone has an opinion about beauty and in fact loves certain products, even if they pretend to be above it all.

I need to go re-read that book now! It’s a beauty editor’s bible… I read it every few years.

Elaine R
Tuesday, April 24/2012 at 1:35 pm

I’m going to have to drag my butt to HOlt’s to try these Tom Ford fragrances.

And Man! Sh*tty week! The pregnant faux-pas in the Pantene post, and now you’re vapid? I think you’re the victim of pretty-girl syndrome!

PS I have an outrageous amount of products too, and I love all of them.

Thursday, May 3/2012 at 2:23 pm

Oh no I didn’t mention it for sympathy – thought it was funny (and sort of true), that’s all! You should read my YouTube comments, yikes! :)

Courtney
Tuesday, April 24/2012 at 1:39 pm

Have you tried Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine? OMG…to die for! Now I feel like I need Lancôme’s Ô de L’Orangerie in my life!

Thursday, May 3/2012 at 2:24 pm

No but just read the description… yum! http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=51000

Is it a bit masculine/unisex?

BmoreLoveLeigh
Tuesday, April 24/2012 at 1:46 pm

I bought some samples of the Tom Ford Lavender Palm on Ebay to try out before I commit to buying the full fragrance. It really is that good – try it! I got two samples for $12 on Ebay.

Thursday, May 3/2012 at 2:24 pm

Glad you agree with me! :)

LMC1971
Tuesday, April 24/2012 at 2:49 pm

Nice picks! I originally thought the Valentina by Valentino would be my pick this Spring after I sampled it last month; however, I’ve recently spritzed the new Coach LE Summer EDT (I think it’s a Sephora exclusive?) and I’m completely smitten! It’s light, floral and breezy, perfect for me. I must smell the Tom Ford though, it’s been all over the blogospher of late and seems like it’s everyone’s new favourite.
Best, Lisa

Thursday, May 3/2012 at 2:26 pm

I haven’t tried the Coach one yet… I don’t think I was sent that one but will have to check. I’ll probably do another post in a few weeks on lim-edition summer scents as there are more I didn’t mention here.

Alana
Tuesday, April 24/2012 at 3:42 pm

Totally have to comment on this one, since the last few posts you wrote on fragrance totally got me searching for a new one to wear and love. Unfortunately, I wasn’t a huge fan of any of your recommendations, but that’s not entirely surprising because I am super sensitive and picky about perfumes which is why I usually steer clear of them all together. However! I found my new super favourite, wear-all-the-damn-time, in (of all places!) the checkout line at Victoria’s Secret. I never thought I’d go for a VS fragrance (probably bc I had a roommate in uni who went a little crazy with the gross VS body sprays and made me want to hurl on the regular), but it is called ‘Tease’ and it is super amazing – apparently it is a “warm blend of black vanilla, frozen pear and blooming gardenia”, which means nothing to me, but might to one of you! Gorgeous scent, and it drives my husband nuts too, which is always a nice bonus! Two thumbs up!

(Also, you are two for two now Michelle on solving my beauty-related dilemmas, so, whatevs, that mean commenter should get a life. Your blog is my favourite, and, come to think of it, the only one I feel invested enough in to leave comments on! The next time someone says something negative, remember all of us who read all your posts and think you are awesome.)

Thursday, May 3/2012 at 2:28 pm

Aw thank you! You made my day :)

As for the VS fragrances… I hear you. Some of them are really good! I have not tried Tease but will check out next time I’m stocking up on undies! It sounds maybe a bit like this one from Trish McEvoy: http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524446159742. I have it in a roll-on and love it…very sexy.

Erica
Tuesday, April 24/2012 at 5:15 pm

You know the saying, “The Earth without ‘art’ is just ‘Eh’? That’s how I feel how beauty products! They make things fun and exciting when the day-to-day can get otherwise monotonous. Your blog is seriously awesome (seriously…it’s basically replaced my Allure subscription). So pah-leese keep on keeping on…and tell that naysayer to put on some blush and get happy!

Thursday, May 3/2012 at 2:30 pm

Haha, thank you! That’s so funny (and flattering!) re: Allure :)

MandyB
Tuesday, April 24/2012 at 9:01 pm

I’m still working through my basket of untried BPAL imps a day (been going since January – GAH!). And of course I’m loving way more than I’m weeding out!

Gauri
Wednesday, April 25/2012 at 2:56 am

Aw! Great picks :)

Amanda
Wednesday, April 25/2012 at 11:34 am

Hi,
Love your suggestions.
I’ve had my eye on the Tom Ford, just because he seems to everything so well.
Will also try the Anna Sui, because if I didn’t read your blog I wouldn’t dream of trying it but now I will and who knows I may love it.
So thank you for all the hard work you put into finding new and beautiful things for us.
A

Thursday, May 3/2012 at 2:30 pm

My pleasure! Let me know what you think of Anna Sui!

Maggie
Wednesday, April 25/2012 at 11:57 am

A lot of the new spring/summer fragrances smell really heavy. Not that I don’t like it ( I love the DKNY sweet delicious collection) but I think the smell of vanilla, musk, licorice, pepper or toffee are more suitable for warmer seasons.
I recently tried out Marc Jacob’s Rain in a store and I keep thinking about it. It’s awesome. Clean and fresh, it smells like cypress, strawberry and passion flower but mainly like moss and grass. Now that’s how a spring/summer scent should be.
You know what? – I’m gonna buy it, first thing tomorrow.

Maggie
Wednesday, April 25/2012 at 1:16 pm

Darn it, I meant ‘more suitable for colder seasons’.

Thursday, May 3/2012 at 2:33 pm

Yes… you are not wrong in your observation, I met a perfumer last week who said the same thing, the trend is really warm, sweet scents. (And here I thought we were moving into more green, fresh chypres.)

Rain is a great pick! I’m going to post also about some limited-edition summer scent options… they’ll be a little lighter so more up your alley.

Denise
Wednesday, April 25/2012 at 2:34 pm

Anything by Tom Ford has got me feenin*excuse my Jodeci moment*
I just don’t understand why people go onto beauty blogs and ridicule the ridiculousness of being into beauty. Or when they say things like children are starving how could you pay $32 for lipgloss? First of all commerce and consumerism helps the world economy go round. Second of all if we all stopped being “into” beauty products, the poor village in the pacific would not be affected at all. It’s just not the way things work.
And lastly isn’t life at least in part about seeking creating and enjoying beauty , in whatever way you personally see fit? ( I got my boss to stop ridiculing my love of fashion with that one when I asked her how was it different then her love of interior design?) I also reminded her it was possible to like beauty and fashion doesn’t negate caring about more universal “important” issues.
Why are you reading a blog about beauty and not expecting to see a lot of beauty products being wrote up. How is that vapid? Internet comments sometimes really make me wonder about the human condition. It’s just a really way for people don’t have their needed meds or who really aren’t feeling very good about themselves, their lives, or even just their day to say things they would never say face to face.

Let it roll Michelle, let it roll…

Thursday, May 3/2012 at 2:36 pm

Oh trust me it didn’t faze me! But fully agree – the internet brings out some “interesting” opinions. And yes, just because you appreciate beauty or fashion or some superficial thing doesn’t mean that can’t coexist with other more serious interests/goals/etc. I’m SO with you on that one. But, there are a lot of people who don’t get that…

jenny
Wednesday, April 25/2012 at 6:10 pm

i don’t like any fragrances really, but i got my hands on a couple of tom ford lavender plum samples in new york and i am OBSESSED. it is the greatest scent of all time. and it lasts forever. went to go buy it however….and its over half my rent. i am so gutted at the price and for the first time ever i am considering shop lifting….and i wonder why they don’t like me at holt’s ;)

Thursday, May 3/2012 at 2:37 pm

What about getting a sample on eBay to tide you over? Commenter above got two for $12.