Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to… NOW

Camilla Belle - Met Ball 2012

The Oscars red carpet may get more press, but it’s the Met Ball one that actually REALLY matters. I’m talking about the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute gala benefit, which took place in New York on Monday night. Vogue EIC Anna Wintour holds court over the festivities, and it’s a big freakin’ deal. The attendees include all the celebs who go to the Oscars, plus supermodels, plus designers, plus assorted rich people… and that, my friends, adds up to a whole lotta photos for me to parse.

But I’m ready now—ready to show you the best beauty looks, and ready to talk about eight hair and makeup themes that were apparent. Pay attention, because like I said, this is THE red carpet that matters.

Met Ball Beauty Trend #1: Dark, vampy lips

Remember a few seasons ago, when YSL sent models down the runway in bowl cuts and almost-black lipstick? Well, it didn’t really take off then—and I don’t think anyone over age five is EVER going to embrace the bowl cut—but it seems that the dark lip is finally, suddenly, having a bit of a moment. On Camilla Belle and Kate Bosworth, it’s pretty much perfection.

Kate Bosworth

Kate Bosworth Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Lana Del Rey

Lana Del Rey Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Rooney Mara

Rooney Mara Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Leighton Meester

Leighton Meester Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Camilla Belle

Camilla Belle Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Met Ball Beauty Trend #2: Side-parted waves

This is a classic red carpet beauty move, one that we’ve been seeing for a few seasons now. But can I just say? A few celebs deserve our praise for giving it a whole new twist. I love it as a deep side-parted bob, real or faux, on Dianna Agron (real) and Lea Michele (faux). I also like how Abbie Cornish adorned a simple updo with waves in her side bangs. Coco Rocha took a beauty risk by dipping her ends in pink… yikes! But trendy stuff aside, Amy Adams always gets my vote for the most touchable, soft-looking waves—the perfect balance between vintage and modern.

Dianna Agron

Dianna Agron Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Lea Michele

Lea Michele Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Jessica Alba

Jessica Alba Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Amy Adams

Amy Adams Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Abbie Cornish

Abbie Cornish Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Coco Rocha

Coco Rocha Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Hilary Swank

Hilary Swank Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Met Ball Beauty Trend #3: Pops of coral

So I know I said red lips were the thing for spring. And they are… but please also make room for some coral in your life. It may not have been as big on the runways for this season as it was last year, but clearly none of us are ready to let go yet. I mean, we’ve only JUST wrapped our heads around the idea of wearing orange. (I maintain that everyone can!) And here are the pics to prove it. I say it’s a tie between Beyoncé and ScarJo on this one… I really dig the gloss finish.

Beyoncé

Beyonce Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

January Jones

January Jones Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Scarlett Johansson

Scarlett Johansson Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Emma Stone

Emma Stone Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Doutzen Kroes

Doutzen Kroes Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Amber Heard

Amber Heard Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Met Ball Beauty Trend #4: Sky-high buns

I don’t know how I feel about this trend. The only celebrity to honestly, truly rock it is Jennifer Lopez—she takes your breath away, really, with her insane glowiness—but she wasn’t at this event. Whenever anyone else does the high bun, it’s kind of meh. Even on models like Rosie H-W, Anne V and The Stam. That’s weird, no? And Claire Danes? Oh, honey.

Rosie Huntington-Whiteley

Rosie Huntington Whiteley Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Claire Danes

Claire Danes Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Anne Vyalitsyna

Anne Vyalitsyna Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Jessica Stam

Jessica Stam Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Met Ball Beauty Trend #5: Bronzey eyes

Have you invested in some bronze eyeshadow and/or eyeliner yet? Get on it, stat! Because it’s quickly replacing the flat, taupey, smoky eye of yore. I adore this trend, because it flatters every skin tone, brings sparkle to the eyes and adds definition without overpowering the rest of the face. The Jessica Paré version, all the way up to the eyebrows, is my fave.

Ginnifer Goodwin

Ginnifer Goodwin Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Jessica Paré

Jessica Pare Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW
Emily Blunt

Emily Blunt Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW
Kristen Stewart

Kristen Stewart Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Met Ball Beauty Trend #6: Quiffs

Now this was a little unexpected! Who would’ve predicted that these peeps would all show up with rockabilly-esque hair, sorta softly textured with mega height at the top? I’m not sure I can look at Cameron Diaz’s ‘do without thinking of There’s Something About Mary, so my pick is Carey Mulligan for this look. She’s having fun with it.

Cameron Diaz

Cameron Diaz Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Cate Blanchett

Cate Blanchett Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Carey Mulligan

Carey Mulligan Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Rihanna

Rihanna Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Met Ball Beauty Trend #7: Daytime hair

Speaking of hair, another trend—or maybe non-trend, if you will—was that a whole bunch of celebs decided to forgo fancy hairstyling altogether. What’s noticeable is that their hair looks like how they’d wear it for any regular day: loose, imperfect, maybe even in need of a hairbrush(!). There’s something refreshing about this, in a high-low sort of way. Fancy dress, casual hair. It works! I like Diane and Malin the best here… when did their locks get so long, by the way?!

Diane Kruger

Diane Kruger Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Jessica Biel

Jessica Biel Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Malin Akerman

Malin Akerman Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Heidi Klum

Heidi Klum Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Liv Tyler

Liv Tyler Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Dakota Fanning

Dakota Fanning Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Met Ball Beauty Trend #8: Sleek and simple

And last but not least we have the ol’ standby of sleek, understated hair pulled tight to the head, and neutral, almost bare-looking makeup. This is what celebs normally choose when they don’t want to fight with an elaborate dress. Because I am a bit of a magpie I find this one a little boring… so I choose Milla Jovovich’s take, with the edginess of the liner around the eyes to add interest.

Milla Jovovich

Milla Jovovich Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Rosario Dawson

Rosario Dawson Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Gwyneth Paltrow

Gwyneth Paltrow Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Gisele Bundchen

Gisele Bundchen Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Paula Patton

Paula Patton Met Ball 2012 Check out the belles of the Met Ball! Plus, 8 top beauty trends to pay attention to... NOW

Tell me:

Which are your favourite Met Ball beauty looks?
What celebs need to go home and try again?
Will you test-drive any of these trends for spring? (I’m definitely re-acquainting myself with orange lip gloss…)

Katsy
Thursday, May 10/2012 at 2:49 am

Between Coco Rocha doing the ’90s Nicki Minaj style, Rooney Mara looking like a corpse bride and Claire Danes looking well.. just absolutely insane (as in.. out of her mind, not good insane :P), I think I need to take this moment and thank Cate Blanchett, for existing. ;) Diane Kruger looks pretty good there too, I’m a sucka for metallic shadows (Naked Palette’s fault!).

Lauren
Thursday, May 10/2012 at 3:10 am

Kate Bosworth looks stunning, and I normally hate dark lipstick. I love Rooney but that is not her best color :(

Ellie
Thursday, May 10/2012 at 3:19 am

Dianna Agron looks amazingly unreal, she’s like an angel. After her, I’d say my favourites for hair and make-up were Kristen Stewart, Camilla Belle and Rooney Mara. And worst, I might have to go for Gwyneth Paltrow.. sorry but I can’t see past the stringy, no volume, plastered-to-her-head hair :(

Marina(Makeup4all)
Thursday, May 10/2012 at 3:29 am

I actually scheduled the post about my favourite looks for Saturday :) And of course it’s about DARK lips! I absolutely loved it.

Gauri
Thursday, May 10/2012 at 4:17 am

I ♥ how Camilla always looks polished, yet relaxed.

marta
Thursday, May 10/2012 at 4:27 am

Diane K is wearing extensions, isn’t she? You can tell the different textures. Still she looked amazing, one of my faves of the night.

Renee | Beauty Fool
Thursday, May 10/2012 at 11:29 am

OH my goodness… I must get some vampy lipstick asap. SO sexy.

Lana Del Rey looks amazing. Usually she has a plastic (surgery) look to her but she looks wonderful. (New haircolor too I think?)

xx Renee

Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews)
Thursday, May 10/2012 at 11:51 am

OMG those vampy lips are amazing! So hard to pull off though! Loving the side parted wave too as I untintentionally part my hair like that when it’s curly LOL!

Barbara
Thursday, May 10/2012 at 12:11 pm

I thought almost everyone looked amazing. So many gorgeous looks (and faces!) I’d say Jessica Biel needs to lose the bangs and lighten her hair, though. And Claire Danes unfortunately looked like Claire on Modern Family. Not that she’s not pretty – just that she’s older than CD probably wanted to look.

QuiteLight
Thursday, May 10/2012 at 12:25 pm

Yay! I love it when fashion rotates around & my look is in style! ;)

Bronze eyeshadow is my long-time secret weapon for a bit of oomph for my smallish eyes; richer than brown, with shine! Wait, do I WANT this secret out!?

Those are my dress-up dark lips, yup…

And hey, my complete inability to create or maintain a hairstyle is in too! I knew I should have hit the Met Ball this year…

Oh, & Jessica Biel needs a bang trim. Her features are just a bit too delicate for those heavy bangs. And I love long, heavy bangs.

Sophia
Thursday, May 10/2012 at 12:30 pm

Kate Bosworth and Camilla Belle look gorge – both have fabulous brows. Dianna Agron’s hair is perfect; she looks like an off-duty Betty Draper or something.

Anna
Thursday, May 10/2012 at 3:29 pm

Coco Rocha’s lipstick is gorgeous!

pinkpeonygirl
Thursday, May 10/2012 at 6:27 pm

Lots of love for the looks of Camilla Belle, I had to google the girl and wow, she looks great all the effing time and has had a lot of hairstyle changes over the years, so she not just gorgeous but also not boring. I also adore the looks of Diane Agron (can’t believe this is the same girl who let herself be snapped with crazy, unflattering pink hair), then there is the always amazing Cate Blanchett, the unbelievable good hairday of Kirsten Stewart (was that a hint of a maybe smile there?) & the wonderful naturel look of Diane Kruger (envious!). I won’t discuss the high bun-girls, I don’t want to be mean ;-)
The dark lipstick is a pass for me, my lips are too fine, a bit like Rooney Mara I guess. And I’ve used bronze eyeshadow for years, because in combination with dark tight lining it really makes my gray-blue eyes pop.
Is Doutzen Kroes turning gold all over? What’s up with that?
All in all, great pics, Michelle!!

Amberly @ The Good Life
Friday, May 11/2012 at 1:36 am

Hahaha I cackled at the Claire Danes comment. Totally agree about the high bun.

But wow, for the most part, a whole lotta stunning women! I think they really did bring out their beauty A-game on this one (which makes sense, if it’s the One That Really Matters.).

Faves: Kate Bosworth, Dianna Agron (always the hair!), Beyonce, Carey Mulligan and Diane Kruger. Beauties! And I love the “quiffs” because I recently cut my hair short (thanks to this blog!) and totally want to rock that look!

I’m also really into Emma’s hair color!

Great post!!!! And happy weekend!

~Amberly

pip
Friday, May 11/2012 at 6:36 am

99% of the looks here are bloody awful.
Jessica Stam: black hair, blonde eyebrows? quoi?
Scarlett Johansson’s hair: she looks like me on a daily, “I’ve just mucked out my pony and piled all the poo on top of the muck heap and some of it fell back down on my head”, kind of way.
Doutzen Kroes and Leighton Meester: what is going on with the colour of their faces?
Emma Stone looks amazing though, but I do love her.
I love this blog, I follow it all the time :)

Denise
Friday, May 11/2012 at 9:27 am

Trend # 9 : Mascaraed Lashes only. Leave the faux lashes at home. If you must wear them make sure they are very natural looking. Seems the fake lash moment is over. I so see some half stips, some individuals but they’ve always been around. I’m down with this trend I for one was sick of seeing them all the time everywhere including my cashier at the drug store( not such a good luck with her smock uniform)

Lauren
Saturday, May 12/2012 at 1:50 pm

I like the dark lips trend, though Kate Bosworth was too matchy matchy to her dress. Also, I hate when the colour fades where your lips meet, like with Camilla Belle. y fave colour was for sure Leighton Meester.

The coral trend is always my favourite. It is a hugely universally flattering colour and looks so good on everyone.

And props to Coco Rocha for taking a risk with her hair. She looks stunning as usual!

P.S. So glad that Anna Wintour didn’t let Lilo attend.

Stacey
Saturday, May 12/2012 at 2:24 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the lip color on Doutzen Kroes

emily
Tuesday, May 15/2012 at 10:38 pm

Let’s be honest here, Dianna Agron looks better than anyone else on the list.

Why does everyone has SO MUCH MAKE-UP on??? It looks awful.

Also, I don’t understand the Emma Stone fascination, she looks so pinched… so squished in the face – although I am sure she’s a doll… I just don’t get the beauty shot thing.

Most beautiful face is that of Doutzen Kroes, she is a younger Turlington…. although I don’t love this picture or her styling for this event….

emily
Tuesday, May 15/2012 at 10:43 pm

And Diane Kruger is also perfection. She should go bowling with Dianna.

FASHIONOTES
Wednesday, May 16/2012 at 2:42 pm

The side curls are so beautiful! Timeless and classy – I’m so happy you agree.

Caitie
FASHIONOTES.COM

pati
Friday, May 18/2012 at 9:02 am

only kristen stewart ……

Reena
Monday, May 21/2012 at 9:47 pm

Fabulous celebrity looks! Two thumbs up for the stylists and make up artists. What took my attention was Lana del Rays look, chic and classic. She seems to be so timeless and drop dead gorgeous.

Mia
Wednesday, May 23/2012 at 6:22 pm

Wow. Almost uniformly awful.

I’m also struck by how much air-brushing and photshopping I’ve gotten used to because here you can actually SEE the foundation etc coating the skin… and it ain’t pretty. Everyone looks so… caked. Yuck.

And I’m sorry but dark brown lips make you look like an extra from Walking Dead.

Thank goodness for Cate Blanchett, and maybe Dianna Agron and ScarJo.