Barbie goes country.
The American Wild West (think: Elly May Clampett in The Beverly Hillbillies) and Mrs. Robinson in The Graduate.
“I wanted to have fun with the hair and create caricatures as an extension of the girls’ personalities. The collection had a ‘Wild West’ theme featuring cactus and pony-skin prints, but in true Jeremy Scott style, he used lots of bright colour and brought a sense of fun and energy to the clothes, and I wanted to do the same with the hair. So we started with a very fresh and pretty cowgirl look with pigtails in ringlets, but then created a ‘50s-style ultra-high, glamorous bouffant wave on the top of the head. The contrast of the young pigtails against the sophisticated top section created a sense of drama and surprise.”—Eugene Souleiman, Wella Professionals Global Creative Director, Care & Styling.
1. Start with freshly washed and conditioned hair using Wella Professionals Enrich Shampoo and Conditioner.
2. Then prep wet hair with Wella Professionals Perfect Setting Blow-Dry Lotion, and blow-dry to create a smooth texture to the hair.
3. Tong the hair using a wide-barrelled hair tong and clip each curl and leave to set.
4. Once the hair has cooled, keep the top section (about six curls) pinned on top of the head, and create two sections (parted at the back of the head) in the bottom section.
5. Take each section at a time and gently backcomb right at the roots to create a little volume, and then fasten into a low ponytail with an elastic and twist the curl into a defined ringlet.
6. Spray with Wella Professionals Super Set Finishing Spray to keep the ringlet in place.
7. Release the top section and backcomb each piece to half the length of the hair using a fine-toothed comb; the hair should stand up on its own and provide a structure for the ‘bouffant’.
8. Smooth the hair into one section using a soft-bristle brush, sprayed with Wella Professionals Super Set Finishing Spray, and then twist into a high side flip.
9. Spray with Wella Professionals Super Set Finishing Spray to hold the style.