Eeks! You guys really let me have it. I threw up a quick and dirty photo gallery of the MTV Movie Awards yesterday (they took place Sunday night) so that y’all could get your fix of pix without having to wait until today for my usual rambling snark post. (Because, you know, I’ve been going insane trying to resolve all the annoying technical glitches with this new redesign. Pass.The.Wrinkle.Cream.)

Anyway. Turns out you really, REALLY missed the snark post.

Okay! I hear you. Let’s not panic. They were never going away. Mommy is here now with the soothing snark you know and (apparently) love. So let’s dive in with my thoughts on the best and worst of the night. Plus the looks I just can’t be bothered with either way…

THE BEST

Emma Stone

Emma Stone MTV Movie Awards 2012 By popular request! Your MTV Movie Awards beauty snark (and lots of snarking there is!)

Well, duh. I feel a little guilty because I always, always pick her… but I can’t help it. She just GETS IT. Here, there is liquid liner and A Lip, but see how they’re perfectly in balance? (Just wait until you scroll down to see Leighton Meester, and you’ll know how it looks when they are NOT.) I’m even coming around to the blonde hair now… I think it just needs her to wear lip colour at all time. If you’d like to get this look, check out the how-to, which gives a complete list of prodz the makeup artist used.

Jessica Biel

Jessica Biel MTV Movie Awards 2012 By popular request! Your MTV Movie Awards beauty snark (and lots of snarking there is!)

Is it just me is or is Jess looking the best she’s ever looked lately? Maybe it’s that she’s finally snagged Justin and isn’t so damned stressed. (Can you imagine being that guy’s girlfriend? Shudder.) Anyway, I just love the simplicity of this. Smooth, loose, all-one-colour hair with gorgeously thick bangs. And barely any makeup except that pretty pale pink on the lips! Her lips are so nicely shaped that she really doesn’t require much. Do you think she injects? I’ve always wondered.

Charlize Theron

Charlize Theron MTV Movie Awards 2012 By popular request! Your MTV Movie Awards beauty snark (and lots of snarking there is!)

Hot damn, Charlize is seksi. She just gets better and better with age. And really has the whole bronzey eyeshadow thing down pat. It’s kind of her signature at this point. This is a great example of monochromatic makeup, with the tones on the eyes and cheeks and lips all harmonizing nicely together. Love the swingy hair too.

Victoria Justice

Victoria Justice MTV Movie Awards 2012 By popular request! Your MTV Movie Awards beauty snark (and lots of snarking there is!)

I don’t know that much about Victoria Justice, but I do know that she makes me want to have chestnut hair so that I can wear a berry lip and flushed cheeks. I really like this makeup, a lot. Only nit-pick is that the hair looks a bit product-heavy and could use some separating.

Ellie Kemper

Ellie Kemper MTV Movie Awards 2012 By popular request! Your MTV Movie Awards beauty snark (and lots of snarking there is!)

It’s probably my red hair fetish, but I’m a huge fan of Ellie’s look. Not much to say except that I think she looks real cute here… again, makeup is really, REALLY minimal with just a hint of pink on the lips and cheeks. The focus is on the subtle fringe of lashes.

Kate Beckinsale

Kate Beckinsale MTV Movie Awards 2012 By popular request! Your MTV Movie Awards beauty snark (and lots of snarking there is!)

Does Kate B. ever look bad? This piece has some sick genes, yo. I’m really obsessed with her mouth. Look at it! Also, there is possibly an eyeshadow situation (needs blending?), but could just be the angle.

Christina Ricci

Christina Ricci MTV Movie Awards 2012 By popular request! Your MTV Movie Awards beauty snark (and lots of snarking there is!)

I don’t know if I’ve ever given Christina any love on this blog. Maybe because she kind of always looks the same. But here, it’s in a good way, right? There’s something about her round face that I dig. And she really does know what kind of makeup and hair suits her. She wears it instead of it wearing her, if you know what I mean.

Elizabeth Banks

Elizabeth Banks MTV Movie Awards 2012 By popular request! Your MTV Movie Awards beauty snark (and lots of snarking there is!)

Okay, yes, the shine is a problem. Blotting papers, Elizabeth! Blotting papers. But other than that, this is cute. Not many people besides Jennifer Lopez can pull off that severe high bun, but Elizabeth wears it well. Great eyeliner too.

Nikki Reed

Nikki Reed MTV Movie Awards 2012 By popular request! Your MTV Movie Awards beauty snark (and lots of snarking there is!)

Bad facial expression but good hair. It’s great when celebs get out of their comfort zone with stuff like this and it works. The texture and colour is great for Nikki. And you’ve gotta love those full brows! (Keep reading for examples of why I say that.)

THE WORST

Shailene Woodley

Shailene Woodley MTV Movie Awards 2012 By popular request! Your MTV Movie Awards beauty snark (and lots of snarking there is!)

Good grief! When I say that I like minimal makeup, I don’t mean NO makeup. With this hair—WTF is up with the hair?!—it looks like Shailene just woke up and decided “Oh, I think I’ll go to the MTV Movie Awards!” Where are her people??

Leighton Meester

Leighton Meester MTV Movie Awards 2012 By popular request! Your MTV Movie Awards beauty snark (and lots of snarking there is!)

Why oh why has Leighton fallen from grace lately? It makes me so sad because Blair is so much better than Serena. Here, she is going for the “suburban mom” look (no offense to suburban moms) with hair that looks like she didn’t even TRY. And the makeup, well, that looks like she tried a bit too hard. I like the lip colour but it did NOT need the matchy-matchy shadow on the lids. And the liquid liner is way too heavy for my tastes.

Jenna Dewan

Jenna Dewan MTV Movie Awards 2012 By popular request! Your MTV Movie Awards beauty snark (and lots of snarking there is!)

Oh dear. Sorry Jenna, but this looks like a 3am mug shot. PLEASE don’t over-tweeze your eyebrows, girls. I’m also detecting a filler situation in the cheeks and lips. Why, Jenna, whhhhhy? You were so cute in that Step Up movie with your hubs.

THE MUSHY MIDDLE

Emma Watson

Emma Watson MTV Movie Awards 2012 By popular request! Your MTV Movie Awards beauty snark (and lots of snarking there is!)

You know, I thought I liked this at first—because I always tend to like Emma’s tomboyish thing—but I’m having second thoughts. The eye makeup is great, but the hair is… not great. She’s not the kind of girl that’s going to look right with some overly styled, voluminous thing, but this just needs SOMETHING. But I feel for her—growing out a short cut is probably beauty hell.

Kristen Stewart

Kristen Stewart MTV Movie Awards 2012 By popular request! Your MTV Movie Awards beauty snark (and lots of snarking there is!)

I don’t know if I can be bothered to care anymore about K-Stew. At least she’s smiling here, although still the definition of awkward. I’m not opposed to this wild mane of side-swept hair, but I’m not itching to copy it myself either. (Bit messy.) And I think she’s possibly wearing too much eyeshadow.

Lucy Hale

Lucy Hale MTV Movie Awards 2012 By popular request! Your MTV Movie Awards beauty snark (and lots of snarking there is!)

Another celeb I can’t love or hate. I suppose she’s cute, but what IS it about this? Too much tan? Too precisely arched eyebrows? I can’t put my finger on it, but it’s missing that element of careful, natural beauty that makes me love the likes of Emma Stone, for example. Not to be mean or anything.

Mila Kunis

Mila Kunis MTV Movie Awards 2012 By popular request! Your MTV Movie Awards beauty snark (and lots of snarking there is!)

And speaking of mean, I guess I’m extra mean to put Mila in this category. But I was honestly surprised to see this photo. Could just be a bad angle, but something is… off. Any thoughts?

Oh, and the Hilton sisters were there, but it kind of pains me to talk about them… so if you must see go check out the gallery.

Tell me:

Who had your favourite hair and makeup of the night?
Surely you agree that Shailene was the worst of the bunch… yes? No?
If you had to wear one of these looks in real life, which one would you go for? For me it’s a toss-up between The Emma (S.) and The Charlize…

Nomadic D
Tuesday, June 5/2012 at 12:37 pm

I don’t have much to say about these ladies, I’m just glad to hear you all snarky. Seriously, I just barely managed to avoid leaving another panicked comment on your photo gallery yesterday, but then I scrolled down and saw that other folks already had it covered. Anyway, this is what we come here for. So, thanks!

Mariana
Tuesday, June 5/2012 at 1:32 pm

Mila Kunis forgot to throw some colour on her lips… it makes her face look pale and tired I don’t know, maybe just some blush colour would help.

lmc1971
Tuesday, June 5/2012 at 2:30 pm

OMG, Mila Kunis, I hardly recognized her when she appeared on stage! Apparently she’s gain weight for a movie she’s shooting with Clive Owen…but to my eyes, she appears pregnant….she has that pregnancy face which is hard to fake…just saying

Cheers, Lisa

Jo
Tuesday, June 5/2012 at 5:00 pm

I was actually kinda sad when I thought you weren’t gonna publish these posts anymore… But now my life is complete again! ;)

Leah
Tuesday, June 5/2012 at 8:14 pm

Mila Kunis definitely looks pregnant! Who is Victoria Justice and why is she so amazingly glowly and lovely? Her look is definitely my favourite, with Nikki Reed a close second. I don’t have a lot of love for Nikki but she really did everything right here. Emma Stone as usual looks amazing, but I miss the red hair. There are enough blondes in Hollywood! Love the snark Michelle!

Melissa
Tuesday, June 5/2012 at 8:59 pm

THANK GOD YOUR COMMENTARY IS BACK. When my RSS feed started showing your posts without any editorial from you I honestly thought there was some Chrome update I needed. Your comments are funny and smart and super useful, and that’s why I read this site regularly. So keep them coming!

Fawning aside, ahem. Shailene Woodley was a wtf situation. I mean even just some face powder, please? It was all too “undone.” Re: Lucy Hale, I think what’s wrong is that her foundation is just way too thick. Yes it gave her a flawless complexion, but it aged her at the same time. Mild duckface didn’t help, no?

Lauren
Wednesday, June 6/2012 at 1:00 am

Kristen Stewart needs to figure out what a hair part is. Seriously.

Renee | Beauty Fool
Wednesday, June 6/2012 at 4:08 am

Yay! I’ve missed this.

Leighton Meester is so beautiful, I don’t know what happened her. Not nice. :/ Emma Stone is always flawless, that girl really knows what looks good on her (or her stylist/makeup artist, at lease!)

Maggie
Wednesday, June 6/2012 at 8:40 am

Judging by that pic of her I’m very sure thate Kate Beckinsale is getting Botox injections around the outer corners of her eyes.

Meeka
Wednesday, June 6/2012 at 10:57 am

I have lots of thoughts about these looks but I’m way too lazy right now to type it all out, is that sad? However, I wanted to let you know that I was soooooo worried you were going to only post the gallery. I’ve been missing your commentary since you changed the site. I think the update is nice but the posts I was getting were starting to completely lack any personality. A post like this makes me happy :)

Laura
Wednesday, June 6/2012 at 12:25 pm

K-Stew haha. She definitely has too much eye shadow, but the worst part is it looks like she hasn’t brushed her teeth in 2 days!

Gia
Wednesday, June 6/2012 at 4:18 pm

When I thought you weren’t doing posts like this anymore I also started suffering from snark-withdrawal…glad it’s back though!
As for your critiques, normally I agree with everything (haha almost!) you say, but Kate B in this looks too cheerleader-y in the back and prom-ish in the front – must be that carefully-curled tendril. Christina Ricci’s hair looks plastered to her head, making her forehead look even larger than normal, and Elizabeth Banks looks just too severe!
I think what’s “off” about both Mila Kunis and Lucy Hale is both their faces look a bit bloated, or at least, fuller than normal.
Otherwise, the ladies in your “BEST” category look stunning as always, (even Victoria Justice …who IS she?!)

Katsy
Thursday, June 7/2012 at 5:46 am

Didn’t expect to see Leighton in the worst list! :O She was my favorite! True, it’s a little matchy-matchy, but it’s not an exact shade match, and if you forget the orange on the eye and replace it with a beige or something.. I dunno, I think she looks on trend and sophisticated. Emma Watson’s my least favorite, her hair needs a serious intervention, even her colorist doesn’t know what that color is anymore.. and her pale shadow thing, I’m over it. Maybe I’m biased, but I’ve seen that look wayy too much in the ’90s with the white liner trend..

Julie
Friday, June 8/2012 at 4:55 am

YAY so happy to see you are back!!!!

Amberly
Saturday, June 9/2012 at 2:58 am

Haha hilarious intro! I too was like wheeeereeee is the commmentarrrrryyy???

I actually really love Kristen Stewart’s thing. I love the wild thing she has going on, and I think that with the eye makeup is really appropriate for this particular event.

My other favorites are Charlize (always), Emma Stone and Jessica Biel – but only in this photo. In some other photos I wasn’t digging the hair so much. And I think she has great lips naturally, so nothing done to them. I’m also loving Nikki Reed’s hair and this is the best I’ve seen Ellie Kemper!

I am surprised you put Elizabeth Bank on the Best list. He under-eye concealer seems too light, but I do like her eyeshadow.

Overall, great post. Have a good weekend!

Comment Avatar Gimped
Monday, June 11/2012 at 12:29 pm

Victoria Justice: I NEED that lippie!! Any idea what it is?

Jessica
Wednesday, June 20/2012 at 5:23 pm

Agree with Jo, so happy the posts are not over!! Love it

Friday, June 22/2012 at 2:18 pm

@Nomadic D, @Jo, @Melissa, @Renee, @Meeka, @Gia, @Julie, @Amberly, @Jessica – No, the commentary isn’t going anywhere so not to worry guys! :) The site is just expanding into not just my personal blog but a bunch of other features including how-to posts, a video section, product listings and yes… the photo galleries. They’re really only meant to be visual inspiration to give you ideas for hair and makeup. All my commentary will remain in the blog section as usual.

Posting has just been a bit slow because we’re still working out a tremendous amount of back-end tech issues with this new design. So please bear with me – the redesign has been a huge undertaking so my writing time has been limited unfortunately. :( Back to normal soon I promise!

Friday, June 22/2012 at 2:20 pm

@lmc1971 – I agree with you on the pregnancy theory. Was trying to put my finger on what was different. You could be on to something!

Friday, June 22/2012 at 2:23 pm

@Melissa – I’m stealing “WTF situation”. What a fall for Shailene because she looked so cute at the awards shows earlier this year!

I think you’re right about Lucy’s foundation too…

Friday, June 22/2012 at 2:24 pm

@Lauren YES! Whenever my hair does what hers is doing I am obsessed with taming it and flattening it down. I don’t go out like that *deliberately*…

Friday, June 22/2012 at 2:25 pm

@Maggie – Do you think it’s Botox? I still see wrinkles underneath so it seems like a strange technique if true…

Friday, June 22/2012 at 2:28 pm

@Gia – I hear you on the cheerleader thing… I think my obsession with her mouth makes me overlook other areas!

Friday, June 22/2012 at 2:30 pm

@Laura – OMG re: Kristen’s teeth! I think you’re right!!!

Friday, June 22/2012 at 2:32 pm

@Katsy – I do love Leighton… I think it’s just the combo of all the orange makeup plus the messy hair and the earrings and the collar of whatever she’s wearing. It just looks like bad ’80s office worker if you know what I mean. If she just had the lip and a more sleek hairdo it would be totally fine.

Friday, June 22/2012 at 2:37 pm

@Gimped – Looking for the makeup breakdown for you but can’t seem to find… I don’t think she’s famous enough for it to be circulated :(