Nicole Richie is the latest celeb to try dip-dyed pink hair

So this candy-coloured hair trend’s got legs! (At least in celebrity circles—I’ve yet to see anyone in real life embracing it.) But maybe more peeps will get on board now that Nicole Richie’s gone over to the, er, pink side. This week she posted this pic on her blog with the caption “tickled pink”…

Nicole Richie pink hair Nicole Richie is the latest celeb to try dip dyed pink hair

Love it? Hate it? Here’s a better look (although I don’t think it’s this fadey in real life—that’s probably the camera flash blowing it out):

Nicole Richie pink hair 2 Nicole Richie is the latest celeb to try dip dyed pink hair

Apparently it happened in Sydney, Australia—where Nic’s with her hubby Joel, who is a judge on The Voice—at a salon called Valonz. (OMG! I totally used to go there when I lived in Sydney!) Brave move, Nicole. BRAVE MOVE.

Here’s what she looked like just a week or so prior:

Nicole Richie Australia Nicole Richie is the latest celeb to try dip dyed pink hair

Thoughts?

Are you into this candy-coloured hair thing?
Do you like it on Nicole or prefer her as a blonde?
Would you ever try this trend yourself?

Gauri
Friday, June 8/2012 at 11:30 am

I ♥ it! Nicole is a DEFINITE source of inspiration..

Emily
Friday, June 8/2012 at 1:12 pm

Nicole is such a beautiful woman – is it just me or did motherhood make her even more radiant? I like the pink hair, but I prefer the blond.

Emily

Alana
Friday, June 8/2012 at 1:57 pm

I love it actually! If I had lighter hair, I’d totally do it. (Can you dip-dye dark brown hair or would that be a nightmare?)

I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that Nicole Richie can basically do no wrong when it comes to beauty and style. Definitely agree with Emily on the motherhood comment as well – who would have thought Nicole Richie of all people would end up being such a good mom role model???

Meg
Saturday, June 9/2012 at 9:47 pm

I wouldn’t be able to do this with dye (wouldn’t go over well at the office), but I’ve been waiting for an occasion to try out chalking. You can use chalk pastels (wet or dry) to dye your tips. I’ve seen a few tutorials around the interwebs…

Katsy
Sunday, June 10/2012 at 8:46 pm

@Alana
You totally can! You have to bleach a little, but you don’t need to go baby pink, you can go a darker fushia pink, or raspberry, or purple. Type “curly brown hair with purple nue” in google images, the first pic that comes out. This would totally work as a dip dye color, and it looks adorbs!

Comment Avatar Katsy
Sunday, June 10/2012 at 8:47 pm

@Alana

P.S. That being said, Nicole looks good there, and is there any reason NOT to do it to your already damaged, about to be cun anyway lenghts?! ;) Loving the trend, loving how celebrities interpret it and seeing what colors they choose, and it’s an easy-peasy DIY.

Jessa
Thursday, June 14/2012 at 5:57 pm

Thank you so much for posting this!!!! I adore it. I actually like the way it looks slightly faded in the second pic- and I’m going to do it!!!! I have the hair appointment set for the 26th. I just spoke with my manager about it today- and while I work in a professional office- I’m not customer-facing, so I receivership the green light! The nice thing is that it’s just the tips – do if it needs to be hidden for any reason- a simple bun should do the trick. I just need to determine the perfect shade of color! Thank again for posting…nearly all of the photos I take in to my hair stylist are of Nicole- so she wasn’t surprised when I emailed her this new inspiration :)

Friday, June 22/2012 at 3:02 pm

@Alana – I think dip-dying brown is a complicated process… you would have to bleach before the colour, so the line might be a little too perfect (I think this looks best when it’s sort of uneven). Have made of note of this to ask a colourist though!

And yes, it’s crazy what turnaround Nicole has done. I remember one Halloween my friend and I were going to be Paris and Nicole and neither of us wanted to be Nicole, so we were both Paris! Now I would die of embarrassment…

Friday, June 22/2012 at 3:04 pm

@Meg – I’m intrigued about this chalk thing! But wouldn’t that be messy?
Have you seen these Colour Bugs from Kevin Murphy? http://www.kevinmurphy.com.au/products/newstuff_productdetail.php?id=143

Friday, June 22/2012 at 3:07 pm

@Katsy – Oh yes – colouring a darker shade is no prob… I just like the baby shades with this trend, I think they’re the prettiest. :)

Friday, June 22/2012 at 3:11 pm

@Jessa – Let us know how it goes! A friend of mine just got this done here in Toronto and she’s super happy with it. Such a cute trend for summer :)