Use these 5 products and you’ll instantly feel like a seksi, bronzey summer goddess—I promise!

Milly - Spring 2011 makeup

So I bought this super hot dress. (This is why I work out with Trainer George.) It’s actually on sale now at French Connection. Go! Buy it now! I don’t mind if you copy me.

French Connection Stripe Jersey One Shoulder Sheath Dress Use these 5 products and youll instantly feel like a seksi, bronzey summer goddess—I promise!

Anyway, you know how you try your purchases on when you get home—to see what shoes and handbag will go with, etc.? Well, I also do a dry-run with makeup too. (I know, I AM a bit much.) But I was trying to see if it would work with A Lip—because I don’t think I’ve worn lipstick in probably six months—and then I fell into a rabbit hole of summer beauty product testing.

Which leads me to this post. I’ve got five new prodz to inform you about!

No matter what you’re wearing in terms of clothes, I promise you’ll want to wear these on your face. (And toes.) SRSLY, these are all sooo good. And summery. Ready?

1. Amazing liquid blush

This is the lim-ed Guerlain Terracotta Blush Sun Shimmer Highlighter:

Guerlain Terracotta Blush Sun Shimmer Highlighter Use these 5 products and youll instantly feel like a seksi, bronzey summer goddess—I promise!Not sure what’s up with the name, but it’s basically a sheer, highly blendable liquid blush. Comes in two shades; I just have the pink. And hot damn, it’s amazing. May have bumped my Shu Uemura Dome Blusher aside, for now. Guerlain used to have a very similar product a few years ago but it annoyed me greatly because it dispensed waaay too much product, and the colour was extremely bright. (Read: Clown Face.) This one is much improved. Trust. I love it so much, I want to marry it.

2. The matte bronzer of my dreams

I think you all know by now (I hope!) just how I feel about shimmer in my bronzer. It’s a big fat NON. Nothing disappoints me more than swirling my brush into a palette, dusting it across my forehead and then realizing I look like a disco ball. I’ll just borrow the industry fragrance term for those and call them “scrubbers.” As in, you have to scrub off tout de suite.

Thankfully, that’s not the case with Lancôme Star Bronzer Natural Matte Long-Lasting Bronzing Powder:

Lancome Star Bronzer Natural Matte Use these 5 products and youll instantly feel like a seksi, bronzey summer goddess—I promise!

Did you hear that? Natural MATTE. Hallelujah, someone out there’s listening to me! I’m actually not a huge bronzer person except for eliminating my reverse Eagle—on my neck. (As a makeup artist kindly informed me last week, thanks to all my freckles that are emerging by the day… my face is now darker than my neck, which never sees sunlight thanks to my hair.) So this guy is perfect for matching things up. Note: it’s pretty light in colour, so works well for pasties like me, but may be too light depending on your skin tone. Try before you buy.

3. A creamy highlighter to play up those cheekbones

Not many peeps bother with highlighters, do they? Tell me if I’m wrong here, but it’s a step I usually forget. But goodness, it’s pretty when one remembers—especially for evening!

Benefit Sun Beam Golden Bronze Complexion Highlighter is a keeper:

Benefit Sun Beam Use these 5 products and youll instantly feel like a seksi, bronzey summer goddess—I promise!

I love this cream format, which you paint on with a tiny brush (bonus: it feels nice and cold when you put it on too). Anyway, this allows you more precision with the placement, which should be sparing—just on the cheekbones, really, as you don’t want to look overdone. (And highlighting under the brows is a bit ’90s.)

4. Universally flattering matte “melon” lipstick

Okay, so this is the centre of the entire look. Please run out and buy the Joe Fresh Matte Lipstick in Melon:

Joe Fresh Matte Lipstick in Melon Use these 5 products and youll instantly feel like a seksi, bronzey summer goddess—I promise!

You will die. It’s not quite pink and it’s not quite orange, but it IS very bright. And matte. Just blot if you’re a little wary… but with the bronzer and blush, it’s gonna look incredible. Listen to me: for $6, it will bring you much happiness. (Also worth noting—if you wear this lipstick, lay off the eye makeup except for mascara. A bare eye is essential to pull this off properly.)

5. Summery nail polish

So this isn’t quite an exact match with the lipstick (and neither are an exact match with my dress), but what of it? In this case I prefer NOT to match.

Let me introduce you to Chanel Le Vernis Nail Colour in Holiday:

Chanel Le Vernis Nail Colour in Holiday Use these 5 products and youll instantly feel like a seksi, bronzey summer goddess—I promise!Bright, unapologetic orange. And the name is rather appropriate, yes?

And now you are officially ready for summer. You’re welcome.

Tell me:

Do you like the combo of bronzey skin, blush and bright lipstick?
Have you tried any of these prodz yet?
What makes YOU feel instantly summer-sexy?

Alicia
Wednesday, June 13/2012 at 2:45 pm

I have the Guerlain blush (in the pink colour) and it is THE BEST. Also looks great with bronzer.

Comment Avatar Gimped
Thursday, June 14/2012 at 11:46 am

I’ve haven’t tried Benefit Sun Beam, but I have High Beam and it’s not a bad thing to have in your beauty arsenal. It’s on the pink side, and a little really goes a long way. Do you use Sun Beam in combination with other products, like bronzers?

Speaking of bronzers …. how the heck do you use them?!?

I bought a Rimmel one a few years ago, which is apparently okay for my complexion, but I have no idea how to use it properly. I follow the “draw a 3 on your face” rule, but I never really notice much of a difference. I am super duper pale and need to stay out of the sun, so I never have that nice hint of summer tan happening on my face. If it’s doable with a bronzer, how do you do it and keep it looking natural and not like you’ve suddenly become a pumpkin?

Sophia
Friday, June 15/2012 at 12:25 pm

I came across Joe’s Melon a couple weeks ago and it is gorgeee. Super pigmented and bright. I saw some close matches in their nail polish assortment too. They’ve also got a true, matte orange for adventurous types.

Comment Avatar Katsy
Sunday, June 17/2012 at 9:56 pm

I just died!! xD Need to try the Lancôme bronzer, I bought Benefit’s Hoola, but it’s too dark for me.. =/ And that Chanel polish is the answer to my current prayers! The bad news is I totally can’t afford it right now, the good news is, in less than a month we’ll get a dupe for it, drugstore style (kinda remind me of a Revlon scented polish, Pretty in Papaya I think.. which is gorge).

Nomadic D
Monday, June 18/2012 at 1:52 pm

I want every single product on this list. Which is funny, cause I was just patting myself on the back the other day for finally feeling like I have enough products in my arsenal to makeup the entire female population of Spain, and feeling satisfied with them all, like I don’t need anything else. Ha! You certainly fixed that, didn’t you? Seriously, I want them all. A little skeptical of the highlighter cause I tried moonbeam and hated it, but on the other hand I’m a cha cha tint addict, so yeah, I guess I DO want every, single. item.

Friday, June 22/2012 at 2:45 pm

@Alicia – Glad you agree on the blush! I’m so impressed with it!

Friday, June 22/2012 at 2:52 pm

@Gimped – Yes I think the Sun Beam looks great with a bit of bronzing action. You could wear it alone but I feel like the shimmer just works a bit better when your skin tone is a little golden, if you know what I mean. It’s very pretty with some bronzer and blush.

For bronzing my “3″ technique is to sweep it on to a big fluffy brush, tap off the excess, and then dust it from the centre of my hairline all along the side and then in on the cheekbone, and then back down underneath the chin. So following a “3″ shape… and then repeating in reverse on the other side. That way it looks very natural. But you should also lightly run it anywhere the sun would naturally hit, so your forehead, bridge of your nose, chin. That may be why you’re not seeing enough of it? You can always layer on more to get more colour but it’s best to start with a paler shade instead of vice-versa.

Oh, and don’t forget your neck if your skin tone is lighter there. I hope that helps?

Friday, June 22/2012 at 2:56 pm

@Katsy – I think you’ll love the Lancome then if you are pale. It’s one of the best bronzers I’ve tried because most of the time they’re way too dark for me (and shimmery).

Re: Chanel Holiday… try Essie Braziliant or Revlon Red Bikini.

Friday, June 22/2012 at 2:57 pm

@Nomadic D – Ha! I’m a total enabler. Let me know what you think of the Sun Beam if you try it. Would I say it’s an essential? No… but for evening it’s a really pretty “special effect” on the tops of the cheekbones…

Comment Avatar Gimped
Sunday, June 24/2012 at 9:14 pm

@Michelle: Thanks for the tips!! This Benefit addict was tempted to take a peek at Sun Beam… Yeah, I bought Sun Beam last week. It’s so pretty, but still trying to get comfortable with it. It seems to have a lot of shimmer in it so I think perfecting bronzer is key so it’ll tone down or balance out the shimmer a bit. Bronzer goes on first, or Sun Beam?

BTW, I also recently picked up some new Joe Fresh nail polish in Mango. OMG. Such a yummy colour!! It was a toss up between it and Heat Wave… which I may go back and get anyway :)