Newsflash! This is the celebrity I will now be beauty-channelling

Holland Roden - Teen Choice Awards 2011

It’s official. My Amy Adams obsession (formerly an Emma Stone obsession) is morphing into a Holland Roden obsession.

Who is Holland Roden, you ask? Well, apparently she stars in MTV’s Teen Wolf (which I still haven’t seen but hear is really good). I just happened to come across her photo and then fell down a rabbit hole of celebrity beauty research. (Full disclosure: I obviously have a vested interest in finding strawberry blonde beauty idols that I can emulate. It’s hard work—they are few and far between!)

But hair colour aside, I still think Holland is blog-worthy, since her beauty choices are impressive indeed. Also? It’s the B- and C-list celebs who are often the most exciting to watch. Just look at Amber Heard. We were talking about her waaaay back when, and now she’s all famous because she’s dating Johnny Depp. Refining your beauty choices pays off! (**Although just how it pays off depends on your goals. Feel free not to date married men. I’m siding with Vanessa Paradis on that one…)

Anyway, let’s dive in to a little Holland retrospective and see if you agree that she’s one to watch!

At Comic-Con in 2011

Holland Roden Comic Con 2011 Newsflash! This is the celebrity I will now be beauty channelling

So first things first. Clearly, the uber-long reddish hair is her signature. I suspect this wavy style is close to her natural texture, and it looks great with this boho sort of outfit. But the eyes! A little matchy-matchy but I still love. I’m far too timid with my bright eye makeup, so this is inspiring. I love that it’s on both the upper and lower lash lines, and softly diffused at the outer edges. The peachy-pink lip is the perfect pairing.

At the MTV Music Video Awards in 2011

Holland Roden MTV Video Music Awards 2011 Newsflash! This is the celebrity I will now be beauty channelling

Oh Em Gee. (I’m just gonna ignore that her boobs are not fitting into the cups of that bustier.) Really, who cares when there is all that HAIR? This goes back to what I always say about Victoria’s Secret model-style beauty. Those girls always pair seksi, seksi outfits with kinda casual, girl-next-door hair and makeup. That’s what Holland is doing here, although she dialled things way up with the intense, almost-matte red lips. Words cannot express how much I want to copy this.

At the Spike TV Scream Awards in 2011

Holland Roden Spike TV Scream Awards 2011 Newsflash! This is the celebrity I will now be beauty channelling

And here’s a variation on the red lippie—a super-sweet and feminine look that plays off her lace top (dress?). You would think that dramatic flower on the hairband would look dorky, but it somehow doesn’t. I still don’t know if I could do it, but I think for Holland it works because she has oodles and oodles of thick, wavy hair. Plus, the addition of the red lipstick takes it out of cutesy territory and into something more modern.

At the TV Guide Hot List party in 2011

Holland Roden TV Guide Hot List Party 2011 Newsflash! This is the celebrity I will now be beauty channelling

Now for a straight-hair look. (Please, God, let my hair grow this long FAST!) It looks more red here—dare I say freshly dyed? I say that because of how bright it is on the baby hairs around her forehead… but it could be the lighting. Anyway, what I like about this one is how well the makeup compliments it. The orangey lippie and blush are fab—the latter could perhaps just be a bit better blended. Have you also noticed the blush placement? That’s something you can play around with depending on the look you’re after. (Sometimes I just put it closer to the edges of my face, like Holland has here… or I “lift” the face by sweeping up to my temples… or other times I carry it right over the bridge of my nose for a more sun-kissed effect. Your choice!)

At the Teen Choice Awards in 2011

Holland Roden Teen Choice Awards 2011 Newsflash! This is the celebrity I will now be beauty channelling

Is anything better than the combo of a green dress with red hair? Again, we’ve got the red lippie (seems to be a Holland personal fave) and that long, loose, not-too-curly, not-too-straight hair texture. What’s different about this look is that she’s not wearing blush—all the better to show off her porcelain, freckle-free complexion. (Will Holland be the one to get me out of my blush addiction? IT COULD HAPPEN.) Sadly, my freckle situation is pretty dire, so this reminds me that I need to get on with IPL treatments ASAP… or finally succumb to a round of bleaching ‘em with this. (I KNOW I said hydroquinone is bad… but sometimes you’ve gotta do what you’ve gotta do.)

At the Night of Generosity Gala in May

Holland Roden Night of Generosity Gala May 2012 Newsflash! This is the celebrity I will now be beauty channelling

Here’s a way different, and way more casual look. Still think red-lip Holland is my favourite Holland, but this is also nice. Well-executed brown smokies with low-key peach-pink on the lips and cheeks.

At the Teen Wolf Season Two premiere in May

Holland Roden Teen Wolf Season Two premiere 2012 Newsflash! This is the celebrity I will now be beauty channelling

I love a good half-up, half-down hairstyle (no matter whether it’s technically “in style” or not), and the only thing that possibly bothers me about this one is the bump at the crown. Bit too overdone, but she’s learning. Baby steps. I’m also a fan, of course, of the matte coral-pink lip—exciting! Pro tip: Shiseido makes the best ever matte lipstick in a shade that is very close to this colour. Let’s all start wearing more of this instead of the usual red or fuschia, ‘kay?

At Entertainment Weekly’s Comic-Con party last week

Holland Roden Entertainment Weekly party Comic Con 2012 Newsflash! This is the celebrity I will now be beauty channelling

There is a borderline duckface situation going on here, but I’m going to take the high road and overlook it. (Holland? Please don’t do that. And if you’re getting lip injections, for the love of God STOP.) Moving on—let’s focus on another great lip choice, super-bright coral! Also: long lashes (my fave) and a loose, ’60s-ish updo.

And now let’s talk:

What do you think about Holland?
Which of these looks is your fave? Your least fave?
Who are YOU channelling for your beauty inspiration these days?

Jessica
Wednesday, July 18/2012 at 6:01 pm

What is the Shiseido lipstick? I must have it.

Tanushka
Wednesday, July 18/2012 at 11:11 pm

She looks like a clown in most of these pictures. Sorry Michelle…

Wednesday, July 18/2012 at 11:33 pm

@Jessica – the Shiseido shade is PK 224. I wasn’t at home when I blogged this and just double-checked it… it’s a bit more muted than the shade above just FYI. But still the most beautiful non-drying matte I’ve ever tried.

If you’re after a brighter coral pink I looooove Chanel Genial. Not matte though.

Wednesday, July 18/2012 at 11:35 pm

@Tanushka – haha, I take it you don’t like her red lipstick!?
For me it’s mostly about the hair (length, texture, especially colour). #hairenvy

Tanushka
Wednesday, July 18/2012 at 11:47 pm

:) Her hair is certainly….hairy but the too much blush and yes, the red lipstick are a little bit overwhelming on her, IMHO. I’m sad you’ve dumped Emma Stone from your ‘love’ list, looks like she’s been at the forefront of new make-up trends for too long?:) I also like it that Emma doesn’t have to bring her “seksi” on to wow people, which Ms. Roden seems to be doing in every picture – just look at her doing the trout mouth in the last pic!)

Gia
Thursday, July 19/2012 at 12:15 am

If I ignore her face I can understand why you would want to emulate her. GOSH, her hair IS enviable! Her makeup looks and poses are too “seksi” for me..I much prefer Emma Stone (though of course it’s not a contest ;) ). I now do have a request though: PLEASE do a post on blush placement. It does make a world of difference where on my cheeks I blend it in, but I have the hardest time deciding what looks flattering. I usually go for the “mimic natural flushed-face” look, but I’d love to change it up!

Comment Avatar Katsy
Thursday, July 19/2012 at 3:35 am

Wooh!! From the Night of Generosity Gala in May going forward, it was like BAM, BAM, aaand BAAAAM!! So I guess we disagree on the best Holland.. haha. I like her MUCH more in the softer, summery soft smokey eye and a pink lip! And I LOVE the Bardot-esque ‘do she sported at the Teen Wolf Season Two premiere (Go big or go home!) paired with the matte coral-pink lip! :O I could NEVER achieve it, my hair is a lost cause in this humidity, so I guess it might be just a little bit of environmentally-based jealousy…. lol

marta
Thursday, July 19/2012 at 4:37 am

not really with you on this one, Michelle… She NEEDS the blush – looks like a ghost without it. And coral is much more flattering on her lips than red. My fave picture is the one from Teen Wolf Premiere, no doubt!

tanveer
Thursday, July 19/2012 at 7:28 am

In the Teen Wolf one she looks decent, but in the rest Michelle, I’m sorry, but I can’t see what you are seeing. I don’t think red lipstick looks good on her at all – esp in that MTV awards picture. I don’t know what is it exactly, but something is a lil off-putting about her..

Thursday, July 19/2012 at 8:02 am

@Tanushka – Oh no I haven’t dumped Emma! Still love her but in terms of my *personal* beauty obsessions, Amy and now Holland are a little more in tune with my style. (Which is probably 99% hair colour-related!)
I know what you mean about the overt sexiness… but she’s B/C list so I feel like someone will (hopefully) reign her in as she gets more famous.

Thursday, July 19/2012 at 8:03 am

@Gia – Your blush post request has been noted!

Ashley
Thursday, July 19/2012 at 10:31 am

NOOOOOOOOO Michelle. If not for her gorgeous hair, this girl is way way way below your usual beauty standards.

Marionberry Style
Thursday, July 19/2012 at 12:02 pm

Her hair seriously makes me want to book a salon appointment STAT. Just gorgeous. I hope she keeps her natural shade and doesn’t pull a Lilo and go all boring Hollywood blonde.

Jestkaa
Thursday, July 19/2012 at 12:13 pm

SIGH Michelle- Hydroquinone is not bad. That is an internet rumour and has no basis in science or reality. The confusion is over how they treat percentages in Europe vs in Canada and the issue has been very misconstrued.

Leah
Thursday, July 19/2012 at 8:01 pm

Michelle! No! No, no, no!! I think your hair obsession is overriding your beauty rationale. Not only is she weird looking but in most of these shots her make up is cringe worthy. That mouth does not need to be painted red so often… ugh.

Amy
Thursday, July 19/2012 at 11:53 pm

Okay, I have no idea what any of these people are talking about! Because when I saw this post, I was like “Holy crap, that woman is pale AND gorgeous. Good pick, Michelle!” I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder, though! I love every look here except for the TV Guide Hot List one…lashes are looking a little scary! However, her red lips make me want to bust out my Chanel Gabrielle ;)

Erica
Friday, July 20/2012 at 2:52 pm

Wow! Haven’t even heard of her before this post…definitely love her makeup variations. Just wondering, the picture of her at the Night of Generosity gala…I LOVE her lipstick. It’s like the perfect, every-day peachy-pink. Any ideas what this might be…or something similar?
TIA :))

Meeka
Saturday, July 21/2012 at 6:58 am

Not sure if it’s just me but in the Night of Generosity Gala picture she looks like Miley Cyrus and the Olsen twins had a baby. I feel the hair envy, I’m a huge sucker for red, if it wasn’t such a pain in the arse to keep up I would always be red. And it is so very long and lush. However, I’m not really on board with the rest of it. Her looks this year are better in my opinion but I’m not convinced she’s on par with Emma or Amy yet.

Karolyn
Monday, July 23/2012 at 12:58 pm

I don’t understand what people are saying….I think she is absolutely gorgeous. I love her pale skin and her hair is to die for!! She looks great in the red lip but I like the other ones too.

Elaine
Monday, July 23/2012 at 1:10 pm

I agree with the majority of the posters here. Her hair is wonderful (so is Blake lively’s), but her makeup is done so sloppily in nearly all of these photos! No blending, uneven eyeliner, etc. she is a beautiful girl but Michelle, I think you are suffering from a serious case of hair envy!

Amberly
Saturday, August 4/2012 at 12:49 am

I like her! But I’m biased because I have strawberry blonde hair and very similar eye color and complexion. I am amused that other’s are saying that she looks like a clown, because that’s how I always feel when I wear red lipstick! The more natural look with the pale lip is my favorite, but probably just because that’s more my style. Wishing my hair was long again…

Katie
Wednesday, August 8/2012 at 1:33 pm

I love her! I want her hair so much it’s not even funny.

Lea
Sunday, August 26/2012 at 6:18 pm

She is beyond gorgeous, this woman is just… gosh!

Lissa
Sunday, August 26/2012 at 8:54 pm

Half of these messages are rude, come on guys is a simple “i don’t like” not rude comments that you probably wouldn’t like people to say to you.

Sarah
Thursday, August 1/2013 at 12:10 am

I absoloutely love Holland on teen wolf. I thought she was the most natrually beautiful girl. I looked her up and wemt to google images and a lot of these pictures came up. I don’t find any of these puctures flattering to her. The way she looks in teen wolf is my favorite look gor her, she looks like a porcelain doll. In these pictures something is off, I’m not sure what it is, but something doesn’t look right.. I’m rambling, anyway, I adore Holland!