Miley Cyrus - Hunger Games premiere

It wasn’t that long ago—Tuesday, November 23, 2010, to be exact—that I was slamming Miley Cyrus for her too-long, extension’ed out hairstyle. I call it “Hollywood hair.” It’s easing up now, but for a while there, I was worried about our collective beauty future—because almost every single starlet was sporting that look on the red carpet. It was just so boring and fake-looking… especially when these people have the very best and most creative hairstylists at their disposal.

But my, how things have changed!

Miley is kind of a case study, actually. Looking at her recent hair transformation reassures me that there IS hope—that even the worst celebrity offenders can pull themselves out of a very bad hair rut. Now, in case you haven’t heard, she’s just gone for the Big Chop—eeks! So let’s take a look at how we got here.

The first sign that something was up came earlier this year at the People’s Choice Awards:

Peoples Choice Awards 2012 Miley Cyrus Miley Cyrus has had SUCH good hair lately. And then she went and chopped it all off—thoughts?

We had Ombré, we had side-swept waves… whoa, what up Miley? It was a clear signal that good things were about to happen.

Then, not long after, she blew me away with this vintagey ‘do at an Oscars viewing party:

Oscars 2012 Elton John AIDS Foundation Viewing Party Miley Cyrus Miley Cyrus has had SUCH good hair lately. And then she went and chopped it all off—thoughts?

Suddenly, Miley mattered. AMIRITE?

The faux bob paired with the faultless makeup—unapologetic red lips, full brows and lush lashes—catapulted her into the young Hollywood club of stars to watch. (You know, like Emma Stone and Olivia Wilde and so on.)

Of course, being the girlfriend of Hunger Games hottie Liam Hemsworth didn’t hurt either.

In fact, what is probably my all-time favourite Miley hair moment thusfar came at her man’s Hunger Games premiere:

Miley Cyrus Hunger Games premiere Miley Cyrus has had SUCH good hair lately. And then she went and chopped it all off—thoughts?

Is this adorbs or what?

I’m eating my words about Ombré, I love it so much. The wavy lob is SUCH a good look—it’s young, it’s fun, it’s utterly on trend. And I’d kill for this makeup. Gimme those brows and smoky eyes and what looks like the most perfect shade of lip gloss ever invented.

But it didn’t last long, because at the Australian Film Awards, she showed up like this:

Miley Cyrus Australian Film Awards Miley Cyrus has had SUCH good hair lately. And then she went and chopped it all off—thoughts?

Sleek, straight, all-over honey blonde. I like this too. (And I dig the natural makeup.)

I feel like I also have to mention the dress, because I’m obsessed with it as well:

Miley Cyrus Australian Film Awards dress Miley Cyrus has had SUCH good hair lately. And then she went and chopped it all off—thoughts?

Have you noticed that she’s wearing a lot of black lately—stuff that’s kind of sexy and edgy and body-conscious? All I can say is that it’s working for her.

And now we arrive at the latest development. Do you know who Chris McMillan is? Well, he’s the guy that was responsible for “The Rachel”—that terrible layered haircut that Jennifer Aniston had in the ’90s. I guess it wasn’t considered terrible (even by me) at the time.

Well, here’s the pic Chris posted at the beginning of his sesh with Miss Miley:

Miley Cyrus and Chris McMillan Miley Cyrus has had SUCH good hair lately. And then she went and chopped it all off—thoughts?

And here’s the “after”:

Miley Cyrus short platinum hair Miley Cyrus has had SUCH good hair lately. And then she went and chopped it all off—thoughts?

Talk about dramatic. It’s a bright platinum, shaggy, razored crop. Honestly, I didn’t know Miley had it in her.

And you know what? I’m not a short hair person—like, AT ALL—but on her I think this is kind of adorable. See?

Miley Cyrus short platinum hair 2 Miley Cyrus has had SUCH good hair lately. And then she went and chopped it all off—thoughts?

Oh, and in case you were wondering, by all accounts she is still engaged to Liam… so this ain’t no breakup haircut. It’s more of an “I’m 19 years old and gorgeous and on the cusp of even more stardom” haircut, dontcha think? Because we all know that for celebrities, Big Cuts are a great way of getting people to talk about you and see you in a brand new light.

Like we’re doing right now.

Are you a fan of Miley’s new hair?
Or did you prefer one of her earlier hairstyles before she got the chop?
Have you—or would you—ever make such a bold hair move yourself?

Sarah
Wednesday, August 15/2012 at 2:00 pm

I like the new Miley! I thought her shoulder length hair was way too mature for her. She’s 19 not 30! I’m all for ball-sy haircuts and I think more people should do them. I mean its just hair, it’ll grow back. Props to her and that fine fiance she has!

Sophia
Wednesday, August 15/2012 at 2:11 pm

Not into the long razored bangs. I wonder if she brought a picture of P!nk to the salon as inspiration.

Alison
Wednesday, August 15/2012 at 2:47 pm

I love it! I think it makes her look more mature somehow, and it brings out that inner rocker that I sometimes think she has to keep on the low because of her past Disney image.

Vero
Wednesday, August 15/2012 at 2:52 pm

I’ve done The Chop a few times, and each time I wished my hair was long again. That being said, though, I think it can look SUPER CUTE and people should definitely not be afraid to do it. Need to see more pics of Miley with the new ‘do, but I think she could probably pull it off. I’m into the long bangs, but not sure about the razor cut part. She looks super cute and happy and 19 in the last pic :)

Denise
Wednesday, August 15/2012 at 3:52 pm

I like the cut. One can only imagine how free she feels after a LIFETIME of extensions, color changes, blowouts, flatirons and hairspray. It also goes along with the trend of young hollywood getting to a point where they want to world to view them as adults and be taken seriously, they cut their hair off. I like it and am happy for her to be at a place where she doesn’t need to conform to the expected look. Do you Miley!

That being said I don’t predict the platinum to be long term. Very few people can wear platinum well. Daily masterful makeup application or near perfect natural skin is required. It’s also major, major upkeep. Though their are some who can wear platinum hair just fine it’s very rarely one’s MOST flattering color. Years of working in salons has shown me, many ladies will try platinum hair once, a very, very small number of them keep it. Because they rarely get a chance to do a beautiful icy platinum shade, they will often suggest it to anyone with short hair. Because it’s cut so often and stays healthy, ladies with short cuts are much more adventurous with color. Stylists get ladies who love their short do’s or are new to it via big chop goes hand in hand with the eff it you should go platinum suggestion. Miley’s a cute girl but her feautres and coloring seems to be a soft autumn type. The extremeness is not her best look. I predict she goes down to a golden color in less than a month.

Laura
Wednesday, August 15/2012 at 3:57 pm

I think she looks good – I mean, she’s still thin and beautiful. But I don’t trust that this was a rational decision, for several reasons: 1) I really think she and Liam must have broken up, or something else is stressing her out, because a) even when the haircut looks good, no one gets a drastic cut without an emotional catalyst, and b) who cuts their hair when their wedding is coming up? Is this REALLY the haircut she wants in pictures FOREVER? I think the wedding is off and we just don’t know it yet. 2) I think she probably got addicted to the “fresh new hair cut” feeling after having long, fairly run-of-the-mill hair for so long. It’s so much fun to get a new hair cut (ie when she got her bob), that pretty soon you miss that high, and you’re itching for another fun new haircut! I think she needs to go to Hair Changers Anonymous.

Nomadic D
Wednesday, August 15/2012 at 8:21 pm

I LOVE it!! I never woulda thought, but she looks awesome. Pinning her shaggy edgy pixie right now!

Amberly
Wednesday, August 15/2012 at 9:56 pm

I loooooved Miley’s style transformation this year. I am right there with ya! And I think I may have been more shocked by her new hairstyle than the whole Robsten mess…. like… WHOA. I think it’s awesome that she did it, and I think it’s great (and so interesting) that she keeps saying she’s never felt more like the real Miley and she feels so pretty, etc etc. So… I love the cut, but I’m just not in love with the platinum. I think I’d like it more if it were darker. When it comes down to it though, I’m in total admiration of her guts to do this.

BeccaTheCyborg
Thursday, August 16/2012 at 9:20 am

Much better. She looked so dull and clonelike before. The cut and colour suit her much better.

Lindsay
Thursday, August 16/2012 at 9:28 am

I think she looks great! I changed my hair up all the time in my twenties, and I’ve been a short hair girl for a while (I’ve had this hair cut too), so I say good for her for trying something new.

Julia
Thursday, August 16/2012 at 10:00 pm

now is the time to experiment. hair grows back and it’s not that serious!

Gimped
Tuesday, August 21/2012 at 3:21 pm

LOVE the cut!! I’ve tried something similar myself, but the bang in the front often becomes difficult to style, especially when you have glasses like I do. I think she looks fab!

Jaimie Klingbail
Wednesday, August 22/2012 at 7:25 pm

Not gonna lie; I think it looks terbs. Classic example of what girls think is cute and attractive VS what guys think is attractive. Not that women should base their looks around what guys think, but even as a woman, I think this is many steps down fe wht she had going on before.

ruby
Saturday, September 29/2012 at 12:35 am

eh, I honestly like her hair better at the Hunger Games premiere. I ADORE the right pixie cut on the right person (if Carey Mulligan looks at me with those eyes and hair and asks me to give her my entire live savings, I would do it in a heartbeat) I personally think this particular style of short is not complimenting her facial features. I picture her in something like more messy ear-length bob, with wispy bangs perhaps. I’m just not a fan of superstraight hair on round face, I think it looks a bit harsh.
THAT BEING SAID, the cutesy giggle-smile she’s been sporting a lot lately is her best feature and if that comes only with the hair, I’ll live.

Amber Cunneyworth
Thursday, May 30/2013 at 1:26 am

Hey Hannah Montana Aka Miley I am really fan of you and you are my favourite Role model and my Real Life Super Hero I Really love to see you In person and I really Don’t wanna grow up anymore I wish I can be you for the whole day with you and your father Billy Ray Cryus Love you Mr Billy Cryus and with both of you please Hannah Montana is my Fave Role model Love Amber Cunneyworth,