MTV Video Music Awards ’12: Miley and Pink are twinsies; Rihanna chops her hair; my girl Holland is on the rise

It would be nice if, just once, September didn’t have to beat us all over the head with her arrival. I returned from a leisurely two weeks beachside to the jolt of Fashion Week, Fashion’s Night Out, TIFF, multiple magazine events and deadlines… and of course, the topic at hand, MTV’s Music Video Awards (held last Thursday in L.A.). It’s like I was having the best sleep of my life and then someone rudely turned on the lights, yanked back the covers and jumped all over the bed. Know what I mean?

But even though it would be nice if all of this stuff didn’t have to happen simultaneously, the show must go on… and there is so much beauty news we’ve got to get cracking on!

Let’s start with Miley’s hairdo.

Miley Cyrus MTV Video Music Awards 2012 MTV Video Music Awards 12: Miley and Pink are twinsies; Rihanna chops her hair; my girl Holland is on the rise

You guys! What is going on here? The last time we checked in on Miles, she’d just gotten rid of her very, VERY good hair in favour of this platinum punk thing.

And I was okay with that. Sort of. I mean, it looked cute in her Twitpics.

But this? This is a little bit borderline Susan Powter for my tastes.

Susan Powter MTV Video Music Awards 12: Miley and Pink are twinsies; Rihanna chops her hair; my girl Holland is on the rise

Stop the insanity, Miley! Or maybe it’s just that I feel uncomfortable with undercuts coupled with multiple safety pins in people’s ears.

The funny thing is that by comparison, Pink looks positively tame.

Pink MTV Video Music Awards 2012 MTV Video Music Awards 12: Miley and Pink are twinsies; Rihanna chops her hair; my girl Holland is on the rise

Weird, right? Do you think they planned it?

For me, it’s a really authentic thing for Pink to wear this hair—it’s just her. But with Miley, I don’t know. I can’t help but think it’s part of a greater plot to gain more attention and fame.

And speaking of attention-getting hair moves, I think we can all agree that Rihanna is the reigning queen. The latest news is that she, too, has gone for the chop:

Rihanna MTV Video Music Awards 2012 MTV Video Music Awards 12: Miley and Pink are twinsies; Rihanna chops her hair; my girl Holland is on the rise

I can support this. It’s kind of nice to see a more natural look after all we’ve been through with RiRi.

Same thing goes for Katy Perry, who (it appears) has realized what we all do after boarding the hair colour carousel. Usually, the shade you started out with is best.

Katy Perry MTV Video Music Awards 2012 MTV Video Music Awards 12: Miley and Pink are twinsies; Rihanna chops her hair; my girl Holland is on the rise

Because I really can’t take it in her “Wide Awake” video where she’s got the purple hair and roots and clashing burgundy lipstick… ugh.

Then again, some people play it safe way too often, obvi. Feel free to hit the snooze button now while I show you Taylor Swift. (Nothing to see here, folks.)

Taylor Swift MTV Video Music Awards 2012 MTV Video Music Awards 12: Miley and Pink are twinsies; Rihanna chops her hair; my girl Holland is on the rise

My favourite celeb of the night was Emma Watson. (Stone, you’ve got competition.)

Emma Watson MTV Video Music Awards 2012 MTV Video Music Awards 12: Miley and Pink are twinsies; Rihanna chops her hair; my girl Holland is on the rise

This girl just gets more and more adorable by the minute. (Have you seen her in this gallery yet? I think that was the pic that started my latest fangirldom.) Here, I’m totally into the high-gloss fuchsia lip and aMAZing brows and skin. You also must check out the hair, which cannot be fully appreciated until you see the side view:

Emma Watson MTV Video Music Awards 2012 2 MTV Video Music Awards 12: Miley and Pink are twinsies; Rihanna chops her hair; my girl Holland is on the rise

So, so beautiful. It’s, like, the perfect messy bun-braid combo.

I also need to give credit where it’s due, and let Demi Lovato know that her look is a huge improvement over that insane ponytail we saw on her last red carpet:

Demi Lovato MTV Video Music Awards 2012 MTV Video Music Awards 12: Miley and Pink are twinsies; Rihanna chops her hair; my girl Holland is on the rise

Right? I mean, it’s still totally unnatural-looking… but it’s a start.

Meanwhile, the normally flawless Zoë Saldana was the biggest disappointment:Zoe Saldana MTV Video Music Awards 2012 MTV Video Music Awards 12: Miley and Pink are twinsies; Rihanna chops her hair; my girl Holland is on the rise

I know what she was trying to do with this hair, but it’s a tricky look to pull off. As you can see, one false move and you just look like you lost your hairbrush.

And the last look of the night I need to show y’all is my girl Holland Roden. I know, I know, not all of you agree (not by a long shot) that she’s a celeb worth beauty-channelling. Even still, the fact that she was there is a sure sign she’s getting more famous:

Holland Roden MTV Video Music Awards 2012 MTV Video Music Awards 12: Miley and Pink are twinsies; Rihanna chops her hair; my girl Holland is on the rise

She just needs to lose the duck lip expression and maybe her thing for bouffant hairstyles, and we’ll be good. Because I can’t help but love her hair colour (I’m biased; it’s the same as mine) and her lipstick choices.

Check out the full image gallery to see all the looks from the night, and then tell me:

How do you feel about this Miley and Pink platinum punk hair thing?
Or just the apparent trend towards short hair in general?
Which of these looks would you most want to imitate? Which ones are too sad/scary?

Kharina
Tuesday, September 11/2012 at 3:16 pm

EMMA! She is so incredibly gorgeous and lovely! I like how she is getting more edgy in her choice of clothes but the makeup is always complementary, highlighting whatever necessary. Love, love, love!

Thursday, September 13/2012 at 9:55 am

Same! She’s soooo good lately!

Natalie
Tuesday, September 11/2012 at 5:25 pm

I like Miley’s look there and think everyone should leave her alone. Cripes, the poor girl spent her teen years under Disney’s iron fist(yes I know it was her choice, but still) unable to change how she looked and never got to experiment like most teens got to. If she wants to stick safety pins in her ear then go for it I say.

Thursday, September 13/2012 at 9:56 am

Good point! But I do think there’s still a strategy (which is totally working by the way) – the radical change in appearance is forcing all of us to see her in a new, grown-up light.

lizzy
Tuesday, September 11/2012 at 6:41 pm

does anyone know the name of the lipgloss Emma Watson is wearing? I love it and I assume it is Lancome but I can’t tell what shade. Thanks!!

Thursday, September 13/2012 at 9:58 am

I’ll try to find out for you!

Leah
Tuesday, September 11/2012 at 11:55 pm

Holland looks awful Michelle. AWFUL. That hair is ridiculous.

Thursday, September 13/2012 at 9:58 am

I KNOW! I said the bouffant is bad. But there’s still something about her that I like. I guess it’s a redhead thing :)

Eva
Thursday, September 13/2012 at 3:45 am

Unfortunately this is the end of me and beautyeditor! I was a big fan Michelle! Huge! I would check daily and go through these beauty breakdowns and love what you had to say. Unfortunately they have been getting more and more wishy washy…..you didn’t even try, you just skimmed over them this time….no details of bad eye makeup or terrible false lash application which is why I loved your blog, a million blogs tell me “how to get Kate Hudson’s glowy makeup” but what I loved about your blog was your detailed breakdown of what works and what doesn’t and I loved that you were super picky. Now it’s just the same as the other “beauty” blogs with confusing layout, pointless slideshows and mediocre “how tos”. To use your analogy of hair colour, what you started with was the best!

Thursday, September 13/2012 at 10:20 am

I’m sorry you feel that way Eva, I appreciate the feedback and we will miss you here!

You’re right, the depth and frequency of posts has been lighter as of late for a couple reasons. First of all, I still spend at least 50% of my working hours writing for magazines, which pay my bills. So when I have a lot of deadlines (which has been the case recently), it’s very challenging for me to keep up the same pace here. However, I never mean to give the impression that I’m “not even trying”—to be honest, it’s always a challenge with these celebrity round-ups because I know you guys like them but I often feel super-negative criticizing every little detail.

Second, I’m still working on the massive, very complex changes to the site design, which takes time away from posting. Please know that I completely value my regular readers and never mean to give up this part of the site—my personal blog—but the new additions like slideshows and how-tos were put in place in order to help me grow traffic. My ultimate goal is to make BEAUTY EDITOR more financially viable so that I can dedicate myself to it full-time and deliver continuously great content to you guys. The personal blog alone just wasn’t capable of that. :)

I hope that helps you to understand the recent changes, and I would welcome your feedback (or anyone else’s) on what parts of the layout you find confusing!

Gia
Thursday, September 13/2012 at 4:34 pm

Michelle, I love the layout of the new site and haven’t found your critiques lacking in your “beauty breakdowns”. I still visit regularly, and have found the addition of the galleries as sort of a “quick fix”. I do admit that the how-tos aren’t as helpful as I would wish, but I feel you’ve maintained quality reporting on this blog ;) Kudos to you, and best of luck in the future!

Wednesday, September 26/2012 at 9:54 am

Great, I’m glad! As we ramp up the how-to section will be expanding – my hairdresser is going to answering reader questions for us on here, and I’m planning to add more experts as well. Hopefully a derm and makeup artist at minimum.

The makeup how-tos are more just because I always get asked what specific products were used at runway shows or on celebs… so it’s just a quick way for you guys to look that up (and gawk at the pics of course!). Some brands explain the steps better than others though.