New York S/S ’13: Brows are just getting stronger and fuller and darker—have you grown out yours yet?

Marc Jacobs - Spring 2013 makeup

Pop quiz! What’s the most important feature on your face?

If you said eyebrows, then we can be BFFs. Because as you know, I go on about them all the time—such as in my last post about ditching threading and waxing for tweezing-only. (Trust me, you should do the same!)

And now I feel even more validated about my quest to eradicate the crime of skinny tadpoles, because New York designers are making a SERIOUS point about the strong, thick, full brow. Like Marc Jacobs. Now, before you really examine these pics just remember that this is runway, and therefore lots more exaggerated than what we’re meant to do in real life:

Marc Jacobs Spring 2013 beauty 2 New York S/S 13: Brows are just getting stronger and fuller and darker—have you grown out yours yet?

Whoa there. That’s a lot of eyebrow, right? Models tend to have good, thick brows to begin with, but the makeup artist filled these in with NARS eyeshadows in Bali and Bengali to make them even darker.

And we can blame the whole thing on this model, Ruby Jean Wilson:

Marc Jacobs Spring 2013 beauty New York S/S 13: Brows are just getting stronger and fuller and darker—have you grown out yours yet?

She’s Marc’s muse this season, and it’s her Edie Sedgwick quality (another muse with thick, dark brows) that he found inspiring. So all the girls got made up with her “look.”

Frankly, I could do without the pale, powdery texture on the skin, and I won’t be styling my hair in these comb-over ponytails… but like I said, the brows are commanding my attention. Even if I wouldn’t go that dark or harsh in real life.

But before we get to the more wearable runway brows, I’ve got to show you what’s going on at Thakoon. Brows were exaggerated there too, but not in a way that I could ever recommend:

Thakoon Spring 2013 beauty New York S/S 13: Brows are just getting stronger and fuller and darker—have you grown out yours yet?

She looks kind of like a painting (which I think, if I correctly recall the makeup re-cap, was the point).

But please don’t try this at home. (And beauty gods, please don’t let this become an actual trend.)

Okay. Now that you’ve seen the boundary-pushing ones, let’s take a look at some examples that you could actually wear without attracting the wrong kind of attention.

First up, Jason Wu’s homage to Helmut Newton:

Jason Wu Spring 2013 beauty 2 New York S/S 13: Brows are just getting stronger and fuller and darker—have you grown out yours yet?

So, SO good.

I love that the hair hasn’t been waxed or threaded off the top of her arches, so it looks waaay more natural (THIS is why I’m an advocate of tweezing now). Filled in, there’s the strength of the Marc Jacobs look, but because it matches the model’s hair colour, it don’t look fake. Or crazy.

Here’s the same look in blonde:

Jason Wu Spring 2013 beauty New York S/S 13: Brows are just getting stronger and fuller and darker—have you grown out yours yet?

I’m glad they went darker, but not TOO dark. It totally balances out the red lip for a strong yet feminine look. (Although I like the first model’s glossy lip and dewier skin better.)

Another thing that I want to point out is that besides the whole movement towards fullness and darkness in the brow area, there is a trend towards arches becoming STRAIGHTER. Not so angled. I got an inkling of this from a brow expert I interviewed the other day, and now I’m totally seeing it in these shots.

Besides Jason Wu, more evidence here at Timo Weiland:

Timo Weiland Spring 2013 beauty New York S/S 13: Brows are just getting stronger and fuller and darker—have you grown out yours yet?

Do you like? I totally support this, because overly arched brows are sort of aging and witchy-looking.

And they also tend to be common on women who’ve had too much Botox from wonky doctors who think they can “lift” the eye area by injecting it there. No no no. See what’s happened to poor Kylie Minogue?

Kylie Minogue Botox New York S/S 13: Brows are just getting stronger and fuller and darker—have you grown out yours yet?

It’s a beauty tragedy.

So yes, steer clear of the Botox there (just get it in between the eyebrows, ‘kay?) and when you visit your brow lady, let her know that you’re after full, natural AND straight.

If you’re in Toronto, I totally recommend Mary Dang at Eye Love (eyelovebeautybar.com). She’s a makeup artist and she gets it! I just discovered her talents for this magazine article I was writing, and I’m definitely going back.

Now for the last pic, which I think is the most wearable of all. This is at Alexander Wang:

Alexander Wang Spring 2013 beauty New York S/S 13: Brows are just getting stronger and fuller and darker—have you grown out yours yet?

The brows ARE the makeup, see? This really is a testament that if your brows are good, they frame your entire face and you don’t actually need that much more (unless you want to—I’ve never been a fan of these super-pale lips).

As for filling them in, you might be inclined to go darker, but when I asked Mary about this, she advised filling them in with a pencil or powder one to two shades LIGHTER than the hair colour. Then, comb them in the direction of hair growth so that they look groomed and more in place.

And this brings me to a new Make Up For Ever product that’s coming out at the end of this month:

Make Up For Ever Aqua Brow New York S/S 13: Brows are just getting stronger and fuller and darker—have you grown out yours yet?

Apparently it does both of those things—give your brows colour while also setting them so they stay in place—in a waterproof formula that you apply with a brush. My sample is enroute, so stay tuned! It’s going to be available in seven shades, which is amazing because brow prodz usually just come in two or three.

Are you feeling the strong brow trend?
Which one of these runway looks could you do in real life?
Do you fill in your brows? What do you use?

Katharine
Friday, September 14/2012 at 3:21 pm

Alas, the strong brow trend will never be mine. I can have groomed “tadpole” brows in an arch, or a wispy mess in not-a-shape. I use the Anastasia brow mascara on mine, since any kind of pencil or powder on my (as I said) wispy brows looks SOOPA FAKE, but darkening the actual hairs works to give me something visible without making me look like the evil stepmother.

I should send this to my sister, though, who has black, straight, gorgeous brows (or brow, if she doesn’t pluck the middle) that she’s always hated.

Wednesday, September 26/2012 at 9:40 am

Have you ever tinted your brows? You can buy kits to do it at home or I have a great new brow lady who does it by appointment (along with shaping)…

katiec
Friday, September 14/2012 at 3:53 pm

I started using the same brown-black mascara on my eyelashes and eyebrows and I really like the effect. It’s not as harsh as pencil but you can still do a bit of shaping and filling in.

Before this my eyebrows never matched my hair (cool brown hair and golden brown eyebrows), and my lashes would be a totally different colour from that. I don’t think anyone else noticed but I like having less colour clashing.

Wednesday, September 26/2012 at 9:42 am

Do you want to trade eyebrows? Because I have the opposite problem – eyebrow hair too cool-toned for the more golden hair on my head! Usually my colourist applies a touch of dye for like 2 minutes every other visit to just break up the ashiness. (But not make it too matchy either.)

I’m with you – I hate when eyebrows clash with hair colour.

Mallory M
Friday, September 14/2012 at 5:08 pm

I just started trying the aqua brow and so far I like it. My brows are fairly light and have very little arch but have been buchered over the years of waxing and are just now getting into better shape. Aqua brows does a good job of filling in where I need to and also defining them alot. The only problem is that I am very blonde and the lightest shade they have is still too dark. But I’m confident that when I go to a darker shade of blonde shortly it will be a good shade for my hair.

Wednesday, September 26/2012 at 9:42 am

Cool – glad it is working for you!

Sophia
Friday, September 14/2012 at 6:33 pm

Praise the lord, my time has come.

Ellen
Saturday, September 15/2012 at 11:19 pm

Hah, mine too. I’ve been rocking this trend forever (when you have straight, thick, dark brows, you don’t have much of a choice).

Nomadic D
Friday, September 14/2012 at 7:38 pm

I love me a strong brow. I totally agree with filling them in with a lighter color. My brows are really dark brown, much darker even than my natural hair color, but I fill them in with MAC concrete eyeshadow, which is a nice pale ashy brown. Anything darker, anything nearing my actual brow color and it starts looking a little crazy.

Wednesday, September 26/2012 at 9:44 am

Oh yes. I’ve been victimized by a couple of makeup artists over the years who insisted on filling in with dark pencil. I looked insane and had to immediately go scrub it off.

Rima
Saturday, September 15/2012 at 7:58 am

Love it! I have kept my eyebrows natural, and
thick for a really long time now. I remember some friends telling me to thin them out cause they are too thick, but I love them!
Little tip: petroleum jelly aka. vaseline really helps grow them out.

Wednesday, September 26/2012 at 9:45 am

Nooo don’t listen to them! If you have thick natural brows consider yourself lucky – all you need is a little tidying but not thinning out.

I will have to try your Vaseline tip! I was trying Latisse forever and not sure if it did anything.

QuiteLight
Wednesday, September 19/2012 at 3:42 pm

I don’t know, this looks so artificial to me.

Naturally thick brows? Rockin’. It seems to suit people’s faces well.

Painted on thick brows? It looks really masculine, and for some reason they never get the colour right. Manly & fake is not what I’m going for.

I hope brows in general become a thing again. I love my brows. They’re naturally sort of retro ’50′s, mid-width & high arched. They only need a bit of tweezing. I have waxed in the past, & had the same problem as you, Michelle, with waxers removing hairs just to remove hairs. Great, thanks, $20 to look worse.

They’re a tiny bit on the sparse side, so if I’m going full-out glam, I Might powder them a bit. I like that, but it’s really not going to be a regular thing.

It’s so nice to have at least one thing I am really happy with!

Wednesday, September 26/2012 at 9:48 am

Oh yes but remember it’s runway so it’s always going to be overdone to make the statement. You would never actually wear the Marc Jacobs brows in real life. Alexander Wang’s however, yes.

Lucky you to have good brows! I’m honestly to the point where I’m ok leaving mine alone for 6 weeks or more – which I NEVER used to do. I’m just so tired of the overzealous hair removal. I can deal with bushiness more than skinny.

QuiteLight
Wednesday, September 26/2012 at 9:54 am

D’oh! Totally good point, this IS runway. & Alexander Wang’s take did look pretty good. My tastes run more to Jason Wu’s, though.

Christine
Friday, February 1/2013 at 10:15 pm

My teenage son has some of the thickest, darkest eyebrows I’ve ever seen, but on a girl it just looks odd. The Jason Wu ones look okay at a brief glance, but if you look at them the makeup is still too obvious (for my tastes, anyway, but I’ve never been known for my trendiness!). I used to love my own eyebrows, because they were thick enough and strong enough for my liking, but as I’ve got older they’ve thinned quite a bit. :(

monica
Sunday, April 14/2013 at 8:14 pm

Do you have any recommendations for good eyebrow products from natural brands? I am trying to steer clear from any unnecessary chemicals.

Autumn
Sunday, October 20/2013 at 9:16 pm

My family disapproves of my full filled in brows. I have a decent arch, and my brows are fine. Very, very fine. I fill them in with Annabelle (kohl) in Brown 72, and Covergirl’s matte In Brown Smolder. They are not Too large, and I actually like them. My parents, whom are not too in it with the world of ‘Fashion & makeup’, don’t seem to realize that I prefer to fill my brows in fully , rather than leave them too light. I just don’t like it. It doesn’t properly balance my facial features. I like the arch. My brow bones are pretty good, and I have very high cheekbones. My brows support my face shape. My hair is a Very dark, almost black tone. Please contact me through email, or possibly Instagram for pictures, I must know if my brows are a disaster, or support a good look.
Thank you.