New York S/S ’13: My Little Pony hair is here to stay (for a while, at least)

Oscar de la Renta - Spring 2013 hair

Who could have predicted that this coloured hair thing—and by coloured I mean shades like pink, peach, blue, purple and green—would have legs?

Definitely not me, because when we first started seeing the trend, I thought it would be another short-lived, celebrity-driven fad with a lifespan of maybe three, six months, tops. I mean, were people REALLY going to channel Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj and Katy Perry?

Turns out, yes. In lightening speed it went from celebrities to the runway to real life. Even beauty conservatives like Julia Roberts got coloured hair streaks. Julia Roberts!

Julia Roberts coloured hair streaks New York S/S 13: My Little Pony hair is here to stay (for a while, at least)

Now, if New York designers have anything to do with it, the My Little Pony look is going to be around for at least another season (spring/summer 2013). I don’t plan on adopting the look anytime soon, but as per usual with all beauty trends, I’m slowly warming to this one.

Here’s what’s happening at Oscar de la Renta:

Oscar de la Renta Spring 2013 hair 2 New York S/S 13: My Little Pony hair is here to stay (for a while, at least)

It’s sort of a “ladies who lunch” look but with a twist. IN the French twists, actually. These updos featured bright neon streaks in pink (above) and blue (below):

Oscar de la Renta Spring 2013 hair 3 New York S/S 13: My Little Pony hair is here to stay (for a while, at least)

Some models also had yellow. I’m still trying to get my hands on a how-to so I can find out what they used… but I’m kinda into this. Are you?

Over at Peter Som, coloured hair streaks were also making a statement. (If you recall his spring ’12 show, he was one of the first to showcase the look). This time, he’s gone all out with an array of different shades on each model:

Peter Som Spring 2013 hair New York S/S 13: My Little Pony hair is here to stay (for a while, at least)

Isn’t this gorgeous? I mean, it’s not a look that most people could wear to work. Or most places. But there is something really breathtaking about all those soft, watercolour shades together.

(They’re just temporary extensions, BTW—they didn’t actually colour the models’ hair.)

Anna Sui, on the other hand, really committed to the look with these big hair pieces in bold, single shades:

Anna Sui Spring 2013 hair New York S/S 13: My Little Pony hair is here to stay (for a while, at least)

The models wore them WITH their own natural hair pulled into ponytails in the back, so the effect was sort of two-toned.

Because I love all things peach and orange right now, I like the peachy pink above… but this blue?

Anna Sui Spring 2013 hair 2 New York S/S 13: My Little Pony hair is here to stay (for a while, at least)

Not so much. And the style looks a little helmut-like.

Now wait. Did I say I liked ALL oranges? I take that back. This is Chloe Nørgaard—otherwise known as the model with the rainbow hair—and she walked the Nicole Miller show looking like this:

Nicole Miller Spring 2013 hair New York S/S 13: My Little Pony hair is here to stay (for a while, at least)

I can wrap my head around the pastels and cotton candy shades… but this particular combo is just a bit too “angst-ridden experimental teenager with a few bottles of Manic Panic.”

However, the fact that her career is going so well, and that Nicole Miller wanted to make a statement with her in the show, well, that says something.

Theyskens’ Theory also had a couple of models dabbling in unusual hair colours. This one is sporting a swamp-like grey-green:

Theyskens Theory Spring 2013 hair New York S/S 13: My Little Pony hair is here to stay (for a while, at least)

And this one is full-out grey. (Remember the grey hair trend from a couple of years ago?)

Theyskens Theory Spring 2013 hair 2 New York S/S 13: My Little Pony hair is here to stay (for a while, at least)

So there you have it—you just never know what direction beauty’s going to take, see?

To get the look at home, you can try these Kevin Murphy Colour Bugs, which you just paint on and then wash out:

Kevin Murphy Colour Bugs New York S/S 13: My Little Pony hair is here to stay (for a while, at least)

Be careful, though. I’ve heard that on light hair they have quite a bit of staying power.

You can also use chalk—there’s a great tutorial over at The Beauty Department that shows you how.

And if you’re up for some extension action, look for SO.CAP Fantasy Colour Hair Extensions. (Donato in Toronto sells them; I was at a press preview last month and got to check them out.) Here’s the array of shades:

SO.CAP Fantasy Colour Hair Extensions New York S/S 13: My Little Pony hair is here to stay (for a while, at least)

So tell me:

Do you love or hate this My Little Pony hair colour trend?
Would you (or have you already) tried it yourself?
Which one of these runway looks is your fave?

Nomadic D
Friday, September 21/2012 at 4:36 am

I didn’t think this would have any staying power either, but to be honest, I’m glad it did! It’s totally grown on me, even Demi’s hair in some of the X Factor auditions, I actually think it looked great. funny how some of these trends, if they have the tenacity to stay around just long enough, they seep into our brains and become normal and accepted. I’d totally give those color bugs a try, sounds so fun! By the way, the Theyskens’ Theory hair was one of my favorite fashion week beauty moments, all that Nirvana grunge done to the max, I just loved it!

Wednesday, September 26/2012 at 9:00 am

Let me know how you get on if you try the Color Bugs! I’ve heard they really stick to blonde hair, and can be a bit messy to apply too (the powder gets everywhere). I’ve just had a hair disaster of my own so I’m sitting this one out but I’ve given Rikki some samples so she’s going to give it a test drive and report back.
(I’ll be posting on my hair colour trauma as soon as the Fashion Week stuff dies down!)

Nomadic D
Wednesday, September 26/2012 at 10:03 am

Well I would but I have an aversion to getting colored powder everywhere. I’m going to wuss out and blame it on being in Spain and Color Bugs not existing over here, but the reality is the mess is too off-putting. but the concept, in theory, is really one that appeals to me.

Vero
Friday, September 21/2012 at 5:38 pm

I think it looks cute when it’s not all-over. I really like the dip-dye or the under-colour. I remember getting purple streaks in 1996-ish and thinking it was so punk of me. Hee hee…

Gia
Friday, September 21/2012 at 8:33 pm

I like the more saturated streaks. The scraggly ones just look dirty to me. For some reason though, the swampy green is really appealing – maybe if it were more smoothed out? hah I don’t know what’s wrong with my taste!

Wednesday, September 26/2012 at 9:02 am

Wow, that’s two of you guys who like the Olivier Theyskens! Never would have imagined THAT – ha!

Thomas
Saturday, September 22/2012 at 11:15 am

I love this! Its so cute, its nicer than the great Dip-Dye Trend of Summer ’11, and I think its more classy. I have just started college and I’ve seen a few people with this sort of thing, strands of pastel shades rather than blocky, saturated ends.

There is actually a really great, fun way to do this that is completely temporary and washes straight out. My friend and I went to Lady GaGa’s BTW Ball, and we went like this – http://goo.gl/Iyr0h only with different makeup for her. She has brown hair that has been highlighted repeatedly with a few thin blonde bits, so the ends had been gradually lightened.

What we used to get the ends pinky red was chalk! What I did was I got a piece of red chalk (we didn’t have pink) and repeatedly ran it down a length of hair, pressing it down and rubbing it in with my fingers. After that we used tongs to curl the chalked pieces, which sets it in and makes it shiny/stops the powder falling off onto clothes.

The best part is you can control the saturation by how much you apply, and it works on any hair colour, whether it be platinum blonde or black! Plus, since its not a dye there is no colour staining in bleached hair that can occur from dyes. However I do recommend wearing gloves as it stained my hands!!

I hope anyone who wants to try this finds it useful!! Also, its weird you should mention the grey hair trend because I have been thinking about getting a grey streak though my fringe like Stacy London, what do you think Michelle? I have brown hair so it would show
up well…

Huge fan, hyper-hair-colour-aware Thomas xx

Wednesday, September 26/2012 at 9:10 am

I love that – the Great Dip Dye Trend of Summer ’11! Might need to steal that term :)

That’s amazing about the chalk. Did it wash right out? So cool that you can get the look with something so low-tech…

As for a grey streak, I honestly don’t love it on Stacy London (I think it just ages her) but on a (young) guy it could be cool! I think it’s all about the technique of how it’s applied… you want it solid through the fringe but soft at the edges instead of a big chunk. Does that make sense?!?