Milan S/S ’13: Gucci’s brown smoky eyes will make you wanna ditch your blacks and greys

I don’t know why, exactly—well, maybe because smoke itself is actually grey—but whenever I hear “smoky eyes” I think grey, black, charcoal. Sooty.

Which is why most of us don’t dare attempt them until cocktail hour.

But there’s a shift happening here that I need to alert you to, if you’re not aware of it already, and that is the colour change going on in smokies. The most modern thing to do right now is not grey or black or even boring old taupe—it’s brown or bronze or the steely blue we saw the other day at Giorgio Armani. Or any colour at all, really, as long as it’s a colour.

Brown, though, is especially good—so good that Gucci is getting its very own post today. Are you ready to see some of the most exquisite makeup of the spring ’13 shows? Get ready for this:

Gucci Spring 2013 beauty Milan S/S 13: Guccis brown smoky eyes will make you wanna ditch your blacks and greys

I could stare at that pic all day.

This isn’t boundary-pushing makeup (which is nice, for a change). Yes, it’s a bit ’70s-inspired and evening-ish with those false lashes, but otherwise this could take you anywhere. And so versatile, it works on anyone.

Here’s what the eye looks like shut:

Gucci Spring 2013 beauty 2 Milan S/S 13: Guccis brown smoky eyes will make you wanna ditch your blacks and greys

It’s simple and it’s gorgeous. Contrary to what you might think with the eye closed, there’s really not a lot of complicated shading going on. I don’t yet know what specific prodz were used, but this was a Pat McGrath show so it very well could be CoverGirl. (Let’s hope so!)

At any rate, you could use any shimmery, not-too-dark brown shadow to get the look. Just sweep it across the lids to just above the crease, and then smudge a bit of it underneath the lower lash line, being careful to blend, blend, blend all the way.

Then, just line the outer rims with a dark brown pencil and apply a dab of champagne highlighter on the centre of the eyelids and just underneath the brows. You can see the subtle highlighting action here:

Gucci Spring 2013 beauty 3 Milan S/S 13: Guccis brown smoky eyes will make you wanna ditch your blacks and greys

For lashes, Pat used two full rows of false lash strips layered on top of each other, and mascara just on the bottom lashes.

But you probably don’t want to do that in real life. Instead, I suggest a mega-volumizing mascara like YSL Shocking:

YSL Shocking Mascara Milan S/S 13: Guccis brown smoky eyes will make you wanna ditch your blacks and greys

This is an extremely lash-building mascara, but it IS on the clumpy side, so you’ll probably want to double up with a lash comb followed by the excellent Anastasia Lash Genius Waterproof Top Coat so that it doesn’t smear everywhere.

Or you could go for lash extensions. OMG. I’ve been a die-hard Latisse user for the past year or so, but I got extensions for a magazine story I was researching last month. (Yep, it was “research.” Did I mention I love my job?) Now I FINALLY understand the hype. They are amazing, and now I’m debating whether it’s insane or a necessary beauty expense to blow $150 every month on re-application.

(If you’re in Toronto, I def recommend Lauren at Good Gosh Beauty—that’s where Jasmine got her extensions done too, if you remember when she gave us the 411 on the experience.)

Anyway, after you’ve done the eyes, all you need with this look is some peachy blush, applied high on the cheeks near the temples, and a creamy beige lip.

This wasn’t what they used here, but my favourite nude is a Lancôme one: L’Absolu Nu in #201 – Beige de Soie.

Lancome LAbsolu Nu Lipstick Milan S/S 13: Guccis brown smoky eyes will make you wanna ditch your blacks and greys

It doesn’t give you that corpse-like effect that so many beiges do.

And that’s it! Make sure to wear your more dewy foundation for maximum effect.

Now I just have to leave you with one more tribute to the gorgeouness…

Gucci Spring 2013 beauty 4 Milan S/S 13: Guccis brown smoky eyes will make you wanna ditch your blacks and greys

Are you ready for a change from the standard grey and black smoky eye?
How do you feel about this shimmery brown one?
What’s your go-to for mega-voluminous lashes?

QuiteLight
Monday, October 1/2012 at 2:39 pm

The brown smokey eye is my go-to day to day makeup. I will attest it goes absolutely anywhere.

I do not, however, have a clue how to wrangle false eyelashes; maybe I’ll try that next.

Thursday, October 11/2012 at 9:27 pm

Same here! Have you tried Latisse? I’m addicted to it and it’s much easier. Extensions are also great, but you can get a bottle of Latisse for the same price ($120) and it’ll last you a year or more.

QuiteLight
Friday, October 12/2012 at 9:07 am

Latisse terrifies me. A topical product, applied next to my eyes, that is active enough to actually affect hair growth?! Iris discoloration? Pass, for me. However, so many people rave about it, it’s definitely a personal call.

Could you do a “how-to” on false eyelashes? You’d be honest on the difficulty level!

Kharina
Monday, October 1/2012 at 2:56 pm

I’ve been recently going the smokey eye look with browns and blacks – who woulda thought! My friends have been very complementary about it – it seems softer but gives the same impact. It’s a sign that autumn has arrived. Love it!

Thursday, October 11/2012 at 9:28 pm

Awesome! I love the smoky in these lighter colours – it’s so pretty!

Morgan
Monday, October 1/2012 at 3:45 pm

Erhmygod I love this look so much. You could totally go from day to night with this and it makes me really want to get lash extensions. Other than the extensions, this would be so easy to execute, and really it will still look so pretty with lots of mascara. I love that Lancome lipstick shade as well.

Thursday, October 11/2012 at 9:30 pm

My lash extensions have just finally all fallen out and I’m SO sad! I loved them but it’s very hard to deal with the aftermath because you feel like you’ve lost your lashes (which is probably just psychological). So I think I’m back on the Latisse train now. Might do extensions again for December.

Mallory
Monday, October 1/2012 at 6:28 pm

I do enjoy the brown smokey eye, I tend to wear it quite a bit already, but I think the lashes in the Gucci show were just too much. They looked way to fake where I feel that a brown smokey eye doesnt need that fake looking of lashes.

Thursday, October 11/2012 at 9:32 pm

I hear you! I’m wary of fake-looking lashes too and agree they’re not necessary with all the shadow (although fine for a special occasion).

Freya
Tuesday, October 2/2012 at 1:25 pm

Brown and bronzey smokey eyes are my go-to. But god, their complexions, how? How does one achieve skin like that?!

Thursday, October 11/2012 at 9:33 pm

I think you have to be 16 years old! It’s sickening, I know. They have no pores!!

Sandra
Friday, October 5/2012 at 10:22 am

Wow, they discovered the wheel lol

Rebecca
Monday, October 15/2012 at 3:59 am

They are gorgeous, and I love hearing about the products used. Runway makeup usually doesn’t last but a few hours, but it’s lovely. I much prefer the brown or gray smokey eye to the harsh black.

erin
Tuesday, October 16/2012 at 12:51 am

i just wrote about this same topic for an upcoming glitter guide post! it was great to see something totally wearable on the runway… this look is perfect for a glam evening out for sure. the two sets of lashes… maybe not so much, if only for the time they take and comfort :)

sofia
Tuesday, December 4/2012 at 11:28 pm

i did today a navy blue with sparke and a bit of deep greyish/purple matte on the crease to blend it out, little bit of eyeliner, highlight and mascara! great way to use the navy blue on a smokey eye

Shay
Monday, December 9/2013 at 7:59 pm

Who is the model in the 3rd picture?