Midnight blue nails with glittery “stars.”
“I was inspired to create this custom nail for two reasons. Blue is a hot colour for fall/winter manicures, and I love those crisp nights as dusk falls and stars fill the sky and the city.”—Melissa Forrest, manicurist at Tips Nail Bar in Toronto and spokesperson for Sally Hansen. (These nails also look a lot like the Starry Night mani at the Rachel Antonoff F/W ’12 show, above!)
1. Apply two coats of Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear Nail Color in Gunmetal as the foundation colour and let dry. (Buy it at Well.ca for just $3.49—free shipping in Canada with no minimum order!)
2. Dot three drops of Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Nail Polish in Midnight in NY (at Well.ca for $7.99) on to each nail. Using an acrylic brush dipped in acetone, blend the drops, diluting them to create a watercolour effect.
3. Starting at the base of the nail, drag Sally Hansen Gem Crush Nail Color in Glitz Gal (at Well.ca for $6.99) up towards the tip and stop two-thirds of the way up. Concentrate the colour on the base and lighten towards the tip so that the glitter is heavier near the cuticle. Three coats will create that starry effect.
4. After the nails are dry, repeat step three with two coats of Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Nail Color in Ice Queen and let dry.
5. Finish with two coats of Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Top Coat.