Rescue Me How I faded my hair colour at home—and rescued myself from burgundy hair-dye hell!

I had a bit of a hair colour disaster last month. And I’ll get straight to the point—it looked like this:

Burgundy hair colour How I faded my hair colour at home—and rescued myself from burgundy hair dye hell!

Note that this person is wearing a wig (along with some questionable eyeshadow). But my new, Ronald McDonald-esque hue was all too real.

How’d it happen?

Hazard of the job. I was writing a magazine article that required I test-drive a whole bunch of beauty services in the name of “research.” I know that sounds kind of ridiculous, but I’m not even kidding. This is my world. For two weeks, I flew around the city getting eyelash extensions, full-body waxing, eyebrow shaping, faux tanning… and more, but I won’t bore you. It was actually hard work!

Anyway, one of those services was hair colour, obvi. And I naively felt like I was on the same page as the colourist (whose salon shall go unnamed, although I’ll tell you if you wanna email me).

Oh, he talked a good game. I thought I was getting a root touch-up and mild “refresh” of my normally strawberry-blonde hair colour. Instead, I walked out with burgundy hair AND MATCHING EYEBROWS—thanks, guy!—that made me look like some kind of Goth-gone-wrong. The worst was that he didn’t even stay at the salon to see how the colour turned out at the end. And when I came back later that day to have it “fixed,” he was nowhere to be found—and just had one of his technicians (not even a legitimate colourist) re-apply some dye that made it even more red and unflattering.

Needless to say, they were cut from the story. Meanwhile, I had a crisis on my hands. I knew it was bad when I had to go for a facial the next day (also for the magazine article) and they wanted to talk about fixing my blotchy rosacea. I wanted to scream “It’s the HAIR making me look red!” Burgundy is violently unflattering to my skin tone, so my entire facial region looked like a giant tomato. (Again: thanks, guy!)

So here’s what I did.

The dish soap method

You’ve all heard of this one, right? Dish soap—or any cheap and crappy sulfate-laden shampoo, really—can help fade your hair colour.

The sooner you do it after dyeing, the better (I think there’s a 72-hour window or something with the methods I’m telling you about here). I must have shampooed and rinsed my hair about 20 times over the first 24 hours. It gets pretty dry and tangly, but if you load on the conditioner it’s not too bad.

But that damn purplish-red dye wasn’t budging much. Here’s the iPhone photo evidence of where things stood now:

Burgundy hair before How I faded my hair colour at home—and rescued myself from burgundy hair dye hell!

You can see the (awful) colour a little better here:

Burgundy hair before 2 How I faded my hair colour at home—and rescued myself from burgundy hair dye hell!

So, after some frantic Googling, I discovered…

The vitamin C method

Apparently vitamin C accelerates fading, so (since I had nothing to lose at this point) I ran out to Shoppers to assemble my supplies:

Vitamin C hair dye removal How I faded my hair colour at home—and rescued myself from burgundy hair dye hell!

There’s no exact “recipe” for this, but I used about 20 to 30 tablets of vitamin C and smashed them up in a Ziploc using a rolling pin.

Vitamin C hair dye removal step 1a How I faded my hair colour at home—and rescued myself from burgundy hair dye hell!

The orange coatings were hard to smash up, but as long as you have a bunch of white powder (the active part), you’re fine:

Vitamin C hair dye removal step 1b How I faded my hair colour at home—and rescued myself from burgundy hair dye hell!

Next, you put your vitamin C powder in a bowl with your shampoo and/or dish soap of choice. For this batch, I used mostly Head & Shoulders with a few squirts of Dawn for good measure.

Vitamin C hair dye removal step 2a How I faded my hair colour at home—and rescued myself from burgundy hair dye hell!

Now mix it all up so it’s nice and frothy:

Vitamin C hair dye removal step 2b How I faded my hair colour at home—and rescued myself from burgundy hair dye hell!

It’s a little messy, but I applied this mixture to damp, towel-dried hair, making sure I coated every single strand from roots to tips. Then I put on this fancy shower cap…

Vitamin C hair dye removal step 3 How I faded my hair colour at home—and rescued myself from burgundy hair dye hell!

…and let it sit for a couple of hours before I rinsed out.

And people? IT WORKED. I repeated the process four or five times over the course of a weekend (I was too devastated to be out in public anyway), and I saw significant fading. Here’s what my hair looked like by the Sunday night:

Burgundy hair after How I faded my hair colour at home—and rescued myself from burgundy hair dye hell!

I would 100 percent recommend this method—it should work on any deposit colour (although obviously can’t help you if your problem is overdoing it on bleach).

The only caveat is that sulfate-based products, if you leave them on your scalp for a long time, can be insanely irritating. Because I basically spent 48 hours with this stuff on my head, I was left with a dry, sore, flaking scalp… it took about a week to get back to normal. But sometimes, you’ve gotta suffer in the name of beauty.

At this point I probably could’ve learned to live with my colour, but I still made an appointment with my REGULAR colourist, the über-talented Tony Chaar, to see what more he could do. (He’s the one who gave me my Life Colour. Did I mention I now think he’s even more of a superstar than before?!)

And that’s when I found out about…

The bleach bath method

A lot of salons charge a lot of money for colour correction services. They’ll tell you that you need to give them upwards of $500, and that you’ll need to be in the salon for eight hours or something in order for them to do this complicated multi-step process where they lift your colour and then add more back in, etc.

Don’t believe them. You could walk away with some serious hair damage.

What you want to ask for is a mild—extremely mild—lightening bath. And if they don’t know what you’re talking about, find someone who does.

Tony won’t tell me the exact recipe for what he did, since it needs to be executed in the hands of a professional, but basically I had to sit in the sink while he worked a mixture of shampoo and verrrry diluted bleach into my hair. Then he watched me like a hawk while it lifted the remains of that horrible burgundy—this method requires your hairdresser to really be on top of what the bleach is doing. I think it took about five minutes, and then I was left with something much closer to my normal, more golden hue. THANK GAWD.

Here’s where I’m at now (yes I know I’m still a little red in the face thankyouverymuch).

Burgundy hair after Tony How I faded my hair colour at home—and rescued myself from burgundy hair dye hell!

It’s still a work in progress since red tones are apparently crazy-hard to get out (who knew?! I thought it was the opposite). The next time I go in, Tony’s giving me some blonde highlights to further break up the red.

So that’s the long, sad saga! (And the reason why I vow to never let anyone except Tony touch my colour now. You can see why I have to create these rules, right?) I just hope it helps you out if you ever have the misfortune of finding yourself in a similar situation.

And now I have some good news:

Get YOUR hair questions answered!

Tony Chaar is going to be joining us to answer all of your hair questions—colour, cut, styling, you name it!—so submit yours here and it’ll appear in a future post. I promise you’re in good hands. He’s worked with celebs like Linda Evangelista, Coco Rocha, Karl Lagerfeld… and even a few Royals!

Have your say

Have you ever had a hair colour crisis?
What did you do to get your regular shade back?
Have you ever tried fading with dish soap, a vitamin C mask—or some other home remedy?

Jane
Monday, October 15/2012 at 1:50 pm

Also, adding baking soda to dishsoap accelerates the lifting process. On occasion my toner/low lights have been much darker than I wanted and this did the trick.

Tuesday, October 30/2012 at 5:37 pm

Oh yes – I remember reading about that tip too. I think on one of the multiple applications I threw some into the mix as well – ha!

Thomas
Monday, October 15/2012 at 2:08 pm

OMG, you have no idea how close to home this is. I may have already said about the badger stripes my hairdresser put in the DAY BEFORE PROM… And the emergency dye that night that turned my hair black… But oh well, at least I wasn’t a zebra anymore. But yes, red hair dye in general is a bit of bitch, while it fades fastest, the red TONE is virtually indestructible (and if you tried to bleach it, it just exposes more of the red! First hand knowledge) I also feel like I should say something about the Dawn. In the UK our alternative is called Fairy washing up liquid, and I put a load on my head to fade out some red. As shampoo does, it dripped down the side of my face… Only when I got out to check it in the mirror, I saw that the Fairy had raised a massive red bump all down the side of my face because it is so irritable! BE CAREFUL WITH THIS METHOD! It took two days to fully go down!! The head and shoulders is a pretty age old trick that works like magic, I always stock it in case of emergencies! Another thing I like to do that is a bit more gentle for hair and scalp, is to heat up olive oil in the microwave, slather it on and wrap my head in cling-film. Then blast with a hair-dryer on and off for a few hours, and that should disrupt brand new colour! Also, I LOVE your hair colour atm Michelle, the first thing I thought when I saw the final pic was ‘Lana Del Rey!!!!’ Really suits you!!

Huge fan, hyper-hair-colour-aware Thomas xx

Tuesday, October 30/2012 at 5:39 pm

Badger stripes!?! OMG that might be my favourite hair colour disaster description ever. (Sorry it had to happen to you though!)

It sounds like we both had a similar reaction to the dish soap… that stuff is crazy irritating.

And yes I considered doing the olive oil method as well – good tip!

Nomadic D
Monday, October 15/2012 at 2:26 pm

Omg this was hilarious! I’m so sorry to have laughed out loud at your trials and tribulations, but the thought of you with burgundy hair AND EYEBROWS was just too much. And then you making all these crazy concoctions… like a science fair in your shower! Have to say though, looks like it was worth it all, because I actually kind of love the coppery golden color you’ve ended up with. Congrats on getting it all sorted! I once had my hair dyed black, but like blue black, black black, scary black, and it was not what I had intended at all. And then on top of that I paid $400 for it because I hadn’t asked about prices beforehand. Argh. I just went with it though, figured it was the fanciest goth dye job ever.

Tuesday, October 30/2012 at 5:40 pm

Oh I know – now I can laugh but at the time it wasn’t so funny! :)

I can’t believe a salon charged you $400 for a black dye job! WTF?

Sophia
Monday, October 15/2012 at 3:34 pm

AH this is my nightmare, especially since us non-beautyeds would’ve paid for it. I can hardly believe he left mid-job, too.

A couple months ago I overtoned my light blonde hair giving it a greyish cast. I made a cocktail of all the strong soaps I had and it really took the edge off. It was, of course, not nearly as bad as that burgundy shade (which I intentionally sported in 8th grade). I can’t imagine looking in the mirror and seeing it on my brows too…quelle horreur.

Tuesday, October 30/2012 at 5:42 pm

Yep quelle horreur indeed! I am so thankful I had my regular colourist Tony up my sleeve or else it could have been waaay worse.

Good thinking on your part to fade your toner! I see so many blondes who are borderline grey… more people need that trick!

Reema
Tuesday, October 16/2012 at 5:34 am

Reading all the comments leads me to believe we have all had at least one bad hair colour experience! I try to avoid snooty salons as much as I can, where they seem like they are doing you a favor by over bleaching your hair- or adding unflattering colour that makes your skin look washed out! (not to mention the ridiculous bill at the end- I had my hair dyed jet black once- was supposed to be a nice espresso brown- and it was $180)
I think through my years if abusing my precious hair I have come to realize to stay close to my natural shade.

Tuesday, October 30/2012 at 5:45 pm

Yep, I agree with you – the closer to natural the better unless you 100% trust the colourist. Even then it’s a risk. That said, sometimes it’s even just the tone that’s hard to get right. Before this happened to me I didn’t think the strawberry blonde shade that Tony does on me was that difficult, but now I know not to ever leave him! Obviously it must be quite tricky to replicate.

Also: what’s up with these salons charging you guys so much money for basic dye jobs – $180? All-over colour shouldn’t be more than $80 tops.

Tessa
Wednesday, October 17/2012 at 3:22 am

I needed to touch up roots on my bottle blonde hair. Summer had bleached it even more into a nice sunny shade, but the dye I picked was way too ashy… I ended up with dark grey hair that looked like a very badly used dust mop! Yikes!
So I mixed up some conditioner and juice from one whole lemon, then slapped it on my head for an hour. Ahhh, much better :) It didn’t return to the exact shade I had before, but close enough.

Tuesday, October 30/2012 at 5:46 pm

Good work!

Lisa
Thursday, October 18/2012 at 12:15 pm

I’ve had SEVERAL hair colour traumas in my life, sadly!! The most recent time, I went in to get really natural looking Ombre colour at a small hair salon in my ‘hood with a great reputation. I called it “more like natural ombre highlights” when describing it to the hair dresser, and provided a number of photos to show what I was aiming for. I knew that things were going awry when she started BLEACHING 3/4 OF MY HAIR. I should have said something, but I had heard great things about this hairdresser so I thought- who knows, it might turn out fabulous. She’s the professional, not me. It. Turned. Out. Awful.

I was left with mostly light-bleached yellow-blonde hair with a few inches of my natural brown hair up top. Not at all what I was looking for. I called her every day for the next few days at the salon, and no one ever answered or returned my call (it’s a small salon) so I went to a very well respected hair guy (who’s been featured in the media prominently) who I described my issues to, brought my photos to, etc, and he MADE IT WORSE. He made my brown hair more dark, and brought the dark brown lower into my hair, thus creating a more high-contrast, unnatural situation, and making things way the hell worse. It was horrible. I started to doubt my communication skills…. were people literally not understanding the words coming out of my mouth??….. So I waited a few days to give more hair a break and I went to a THIRD hair dresser who got it right away. She understood without me having to go into great detail about what I wanted, in fact finishing my sentences! My hair was saved!!!

Sorry for the long story! I didn’t use any products to fix things but I washed my hair a lot trying to tone things down and tried to hide at home as much as possible.

AP
Monday, October 29/2012 at 6:33 am

This SAME thing happened to me at a salon in Sydney. I went to get my ombre touched up and turned out exactly like you…burgundy on top and bleached (yellowish) on the bottom after asking for a touch up. I took photos along the way as I was freaking out and she kept saying “I’ll blend, no worries.” she did NOT blend and I left the salon $267 bucks out of pocket for a terrible job. I called the same day to get it fixed and the owner of the salon did it for me three days later. AND MADE IT WORSE by frying the crap out of my hair and taking out my blonde and then wanting to charge me $88 bucks for the fix up. It’s now four weeks later and I am thinking I will have to cut my hair off it’s so dry and is breaking like mad. Was your hair dry and damaged too? Is there a way to save dry hair after two dye jobs gone askew?

Tuesday, October 30/2012 at 5:48 pm

Oh my Lord! I’m so sorry this happened to you – I know the feeling of being hopeful that someone can fix it and then the sinking realization that you’re going from bad to worse… ugh. I’m glad the third time was a charm!!

And now I’m DYING to know who the “well-respected” hair guy was that messed up….

Heather
Friday, October 19/2012 at 4:46 pm

As a colour tech with over 30 years experience, I would like to shed some light “from the other side.”
As much as this makes for an entertaining story, customers often think we “get” what you want when you describe the shade you desire…caramel for instance, spans at least 4 levels of colour, some think caramel is coppery, some think its beige, and they’re all right. I can’t believe you were looking for a strawberry blonde regrowth and left with burgundy all over colour. Like I said, this makes for a good story…

Sophia
Sunday, October 21/2012 at 3:39 pm

But shouldn’t it be the colourist’s job to suss out what the client wants before putting colour on? To make sure they’re thinking the same thing? Especially since a colourist’s vocabulary is going to be much more developed when it comes to hair.

Thomas
Sunday, October 21/2012 at 4:36 pm

Also ANY colourist should know that colour can’t lift colour, so when Michelle went for it to be fixed and told them what she actually wanted, why would they put even more dye over it? This seems pretty clearly to be the salon’s fault.

Tuesday, October 30/2012 at 5:51 pm

I’m not sure what you’re getting at but even if I DID ask for burgundy hair, at the very least a good colourist would stick around to see the end result instead of taking off while my hair was in the sink.

I also gave him a second chance when I called to say I wasn’t happy – but he made the decision to not be at the salon when he told me to come in for a fix.

I really can’t find an excuse for that behaviour… sorry to burst your bubble.

Briana
Saturday, November 3/2012 at 10:43 pm

I agree with your feelings on the professionalism of the stylist and that he should have been there with you through the entirety of both appointments. I do have to say, color corrections are in fact well worth your money and time that you put in them. As a stylist it has taken me hours of standing over a client, coloring, shampooing, blowdrying, reapplying, etc…. and this could in fact be using the bleach bath method. The thing is, you are asking for a color correction because there is something wrong with your hair. We as stylists have to work with what is now wrong, including incorrect tones from previous color as well as damage most likely. Doing this yourself at home would be very risky, whereas at the salon the professional has paid good money to be educated in the best way to go about fixing your hair-crisis! We also have to pay to keep all colors on hand, whereas at home you will not possibly have everything you might need. The high cost of the service isn’t just “because” we want to charge the heck out of you! Time and product charge, as well as taking on a risk by pushing your hair past its natural limitations. This, of course, is if you are seeking out the appointments due to previous reasons. If the stylist made an error, then this service SHOULD be of no charge to you. But guys, please remember, hairstylists are people too! Just make sure your hairstylist is passionate and well educated. : )

Ashley
Thursday, July 3/2014 at 11:10 pm

Ignore any colourists telling you they deserve lots of money to fix your hair and definitely ignore then when they tell you bleach baths (also known as soap caps) are tricky, or difficult and require extensive education, hence your huge payment.

they are LYING because they are overpaid greedy jerks, simple as that.

I do soapcaps ever since reading about them online, it’s literally just peroxide diluted with shampoo, sometimes people do use some powder bleach, I have heard of powder bleach + water working as well, but in essence, we are talking about a diluted bleach, which will lift 1 or 2 shades with slightly less damage.
Yes, watch it like a hawk, No you do not need to be a professional to go, OH that’s the shade I want! and wash it out of your hair. it shouldn’t be left on more than 20 min tops.

Simple, and cheap as hell.

I hate the mystery these salon types shroud the simplicity of hair colouring in, it’s such a scam.

Laura
Tuesday, July 15/2014 at 11:04 pm

I just want to say a soap cap is not the same as a bleach wash. I have been doing hair for 13 years. A soap cap is with haircolor. Its at the end when u want refresh a customers ends but u don’t want to use the full strength color. I am also not greedy nor overpayed. That’s an ignorant comment. People that make comments like that are what makes our jobs more stressful. Dealing with the public isn’t easy. I’ve spent countless hours fixing other peoples mistakes.

Katsy
Sunday, October 21/2012 at 6:50 am

I can’t fathom how you would ever think red doesn’t suit your skin tone! You’re so fair and pretty-blue-eyed, lady, you’re like a PERFECT redhead.. The skin thing, what the hell is makeup for?! Try the Kat Von D foundation, I seriously haven’t been wearing concealer for the past week, and that’s a HUGE no no for me usually… trust. I can’t believe how much coverage a little bit of this stuff brings! Michelle, you look beautiful on ALL the pictures, strawberry blonde, blonderexic, redhead, you could pull anything off, girl, you’d be FIERCE no matter what! :P (I think you actually look like a pretty mermaid with red hair! It makes your blue eyes pop like MAD!)

Tuesday, October 30/2012 at 5:53 pm

Aw… you’re too sweet! I have tried the Kat Von D concealer but not foundation – will need to check out! Although I JUST had a laser treatment done for rosacea, so will see if that makes a difference… it’s supposed to take 4 weeks to kick in.

KRS
Monday, October 22/2012 at 1:29 am

Overnight olive oil soaks are great for lifting out dye and while conditioning at the same time.

Tuesday, October 30/2012 at 5:53 pm

Yes I read that during my frantic Google research!

Mia
Friday, October 26/2012 at 11:58 pm

I would like to ask why the salon and colourist were cut from the story!
Is it because the story was only supposed to be positive? Because if so that’s one reason why publications are losing readers. People are no longer so accepting of what they read in magazines, because they seem to just be mouthpieces for their advertisers. Real journalism would be refreshing and appreciated – which means experiences like the one you had should be written about!!

Tuesday, October 30/2012 at 5:55 pm

Yes generally a magazine will never cover a negative experience when they could give space to something positive that they can actually recommend to readers. I hear what you’re saying though and agree that it’s one of the reasons blogs have value.

Amber
Monday, November 12/2012 at 9:28 pm

I had white blonde chunky highlights in the front of my hair and the roots were growing out dark blonde. So I decided since my hair is naturally an ash blonde that I would dye the streaks with some store bought hair dye. Big mistake! The ash turned the platinum streaks grey purple!! I had to wear a hat for two days until I could see my stylist. It was horrendous!

Sita
Tuesday, December 11/2012 at 5:27 pm

Okay, so I had a hair disaster too. I had virgin dark brown hair, which I wanted to make lighter at the ends, so that it faded from dark to light brown. I used an ash blonde dye for this and it looked great under the bathroom light. But the next day when I examined it in the daylight, it was sooo much lighter! And it had a slightly reddish tint and a few copper and red strands here and there which I DID not want, now I am worried it is going to fade to a reddish colour over time :(

AnnaMarie_NaturalBeautyWorks
Friday, December 28/2012 at 5:28 pm

This is terrible advice!

Use COCONUT OIL or COLOR OOPS instead. Non damaging and GOOD for your hair… and works much BETTER than this advice.

COLOR OOPS works best at removing hair color completely. Hands down. Cheap and relatively easy (although doesn’t smell so good). Also NON DAMAGING to your hair. And whatever dye you use after will stick to your hair like crazy (I have had utterly fantastic results with light cool blonde shades after using color oops & my natural hair color is medium brown).

If you just want to FADE color, use OIL, preferably Coconut Oil (this is also VERY good for your hair, more like a conditioning treatment… rather than using straight up DISH SOAP, bleach, etc.). Leave the coconut oil on as long as possible -sleep in it if you can (wrapped in saran wrap). Your hair should be thoroughly saturated and reapply if it dries. THEN, slather your hair with CONDITIONER and leave it on at least 30 minutes when you are ready to wash out. Wash out your hair with the conditioner (surprisingly conditioner works WAY better at getting oil out of hair than shampoo. Weird, but it works, and is MUCH better for your hair. Rinse. Reapply conditioner, slather it in & then rinse again. Shampoo only if you need to and then re-condition and go). Your hair will be extra silky/shiny and you will STILL have your hair color but will be FADED (this REALLY helps if you dye your hair a little too vibrant red). You can do this again if necessary. I have done it up to 2 times before 2 days/nights in a row when I had a bad dye job (basically the whole weekend) and it REALLY works wonders (and REALLY helps the condition of your hair). I’ve gone from hating to loving a hair color after doing this… The results can be extreme so don’t use this method unless you want some serious fading.

CONDITION your hair with natural products while fading, instead of turning your hair to STRAW using dish soap and bleach!

LOL, do NOT use bleach or straight up DISH SOAP on your hair unless you want it to be like straw!!! Also, color oops is completely non-damaging!! This is terrible advice… I am now thoroughly convinced that I need to start a beauty blog if this is the advice that is out there…

Saturday, January 26/2013 at 11:48 am

I didn’t recommend doing a bleach bath at home – that should only be done in a salon by a knowledgeable hairdresser.

I don’t think coconut oil would have been anywhere near strong enough for the results I needed. Thank you for sharing your opinion about my “terrible advice,” however not one but two extremely well-known hairstylists that I asked about this confirmed that I did exactly the right thing with the dish soap and vitamin C.

As for Color Oops – I didn’t feel comfortable messing around with chemicals however it’s good to know that it works for some.

I agree that dish soap is drying but that was very quickly repaired with a few weekly deep conditioning masks.

Ivette Ruiz Muniz
Thursday, August 8/2013 at 7:54 pm

I think you answer that horrible remark from her in a very clamning tone. Not to mention that you don;t have to take the time u do to help others with their hair issues.
What she is not realizing is what works for one may not work for another and obviously this is what you had to do. You are not obligating anyone to follow your methods, they are just simple samples.
Thank you for being so patience.
Ivette

Ivette Ruiz Muniz
Thursday, August 8/2013 at 8:00 pm

Michelle,
The remark I just made on your website was in regards to Annmarie horrible remarks to you. Just wanted to clarify my remake.
Ivette

rachel.
Saturday, January 26/2013 at 3:44 am

umm… im so confused about this entire article youve managed to tape and gluestick together… whatever it was you concocted together while playing in your pretend meth lab CLEARLY was a waste of your time because -call me crazy-but your hair “before” and your hair “after” share the *exact* the same goofy shade of orange .. its weird cause the photo you posted of your hair “after” actually STRAIGHT UP looks way worse than the “before”.. thats great that you wanted shampoo yourself with a shit load of crushed up pills, dish detergent dripping from your head while take pictures of yourself wearing some stupid shower caps, but come on now, not only have you, OBVIOUSLY, wasted your time, but now youve sincerely wasted mine… what a disappointment.. especially cause it all seemed so legit! … next time try and label your jokes before someone gets hurt.

Saturday, January 26/2013 at 11:58 am

Thanks for sharing your opinion as well Rachel! (Now tell me how you really feel… :) )

I am the first to admit that my writing skills are far better than my photography skills, so I guess you are just going to have to take my word for it that the fading with this process was significant.

It is indeed a 100% legit way to rescue your hair from a colour mistake… it’s also cheap and non-damaging.

Have a great day!

L
Sunday, February 3/2013 at 5:00 pm

Oh my god what is Rachel’s problem? (Just read the previous comment). I had an awful hair dye experience this week, for the first time in almost 3 years I decided to colour my natural hair (which was a really nice dark blonde ashy tone) but I wanted just a shade darker so I made the MOMUMENTAL mistake of using L’oreal sublime mousse which basically turned my hair not dark blonde like on the box, but dark brown with an awful green tint. Hideous! I had forgotten the horror a bad dye job can inspire so in panic I bought colour B4 on amazon but it that will take at least a week to arrive so I did first the olive oil treatment (only for 30 min perhaps) and it took some colour out, but then I read up on the vitamin c method and it totally worked and now my hair colour looks pretty nice! My tablets weren’t even that strong (180 mg) and I only used a few tablets. If do one more ‘set’ I think my colour will be much closer to the one I originally intended. I’m so grateful for all of you that has tried and recommended this solution online as otherwise I would have had to use bleach and chemicals etc. Totally recommend the vitamin c method!!!! And I really like your current hair colour Michelle, so happy vitamin c worked for you as well.

sarah
Thursday, February 14/2013 at 2:18 am

The girls hair that you think looks terrible looks way better than yours you fucking idiot.

Catherine
Tuesday, March 26/2013 at 4:21 pm

3 Epic Self Inflicted Hair Mistakes:
Hair Mistake #1: I dyed my hair jet black. Girls, don’t do this. Ever. It’s a you-know-what to get rid of. I compounded my mistake by waiting a few months and THEN trying to get rid of the color (which also tops my new “Don’t Ever…list). I used the Vitamin C and Head and Shoulders trick to pull out the dye (100 tablets of 1,000 mg Vitamin C, mixed it with 1 cup of Head and Shoulders). I left it on for one hour and it helped a lot, but not as much as I had wanted.
Hair Mistake #2: Then I scurried out and bought L’Oreal’s Hair Color Remover . I wound up with traffic cone orange hair. They tell you on the box you’re able to re-dye right away with your choice of color. NO NO NO. What they don’t tell you is that if you are a natural brunette your natural dominant pigment is red and your hair will be red red red (mixed with orange for additional fun) – and not a blank canvas to which you can effortlessly apply your new color.
Hair Mistake #3: Guess what? You cannot cover Red/Orange hair with a nice light brown box hair dye. Nothing happens. I called L’Oreal and they said to try a darker (Neutral) brown such as #5 or #6. I was grasping at straws at this point and I tried the #6. It worked but not all the way (should have gone with the #5 darker one in hindsight). The next day I bought a Manic Panic purple toner which was easy to apply and after 30 minutes it helped calm it down, but I still have a very auburn hair color going on, especially at the top (crown area) of my head. I was shooting for a medium brown. Ah well.

I was lucky that I finally arrived at a hair color that is once again (slightly) a part of the natural spectrum of hair colors (maybe somewhere, at least) and I no longer look like Pippi Longstocking or Peggy Bundy. My hair is almost down to my waist and I spent an entire night considering cutting it all off (during my bright orange phase) but luckily with the help of websites like Beauty Editor and other bloggers out there I got good home fixes that did help.
PS: I’ll probably be writing again in a few weeks when I attempt blonde highlights! Should be fun. Maybe it’ll turn green this time.

Debra Kaminski
Wednesday, March 27/2013 at 11:33 am

Great article!

As someone who has dyed her head red for MANY years, I recently decided I was finished. The reason? Those purplish-red dyes. I used the same product for years, then one day I looked like I had an eggplant on my head. Every other product yielded the same result. In fact, I found your article by Googling “What have they done to red hair dye?”. A male friend calls it neon head. All I know is it doesn’t look natural.

Kat
Friday, March 29/2013 at 1:14 pm

So my hair is naturally black and i’ve dyed it a couple of times and now its medium brown. I’ve been wanting to make my hair lighter without removing the brown color and turn it into light brown that’s almost blonde like. Does the vitamin c method remove the dye or does it just fade its color and lightens it? Because i’m scared that if i tried the vitamin c method my brown dye will wash away and i’ll have black hair again. Please help mee xx

Catherine
Friday, March 29/2013 at 2:01 pm

The Vitamin C will ONLY REMOVE DYE COLOR. It doesn’t affect your natural hair or natural color.

Best to do a strand test first, though. Better to have a strand with a weird result than an entire head if it doesn’t work.

Kat
Saturday, March 30/2013 at 1:39 pm

Tried it and it gave me the light brown color i wanted :) thanks!!

Cyndy
Saturday, March 30/2013 at 1:39 pm

I had the exact same disaster! I normally use a light auburn color on my hair, which gives me more of an orange color than red. I saw a new color system in target called Shea Moisture color. Super cute packaging so I decided to give it a try. Got the light auburn and was good to go. I later figured out that it’s for African American hair. The color looked like cherry koolade. Iridescent bright burgundy red. For the last day and a half I have washed over and over, I’ve used baby shampoo, baking soda, head and shoulders, everything!! Nothing is working! I was beginning to think I would be forever wearing a hat! :( I saw your blog about vitamin C, dawn and head and shoulders and gave it a try. I’ve had it on for 45 min and already gone from burgundy to my more orange shade. Just wanted to say THANK YOU!!

Anna Grace
Sunday, April 28/2013 at 9:37 am

I was so glad I found this article. I went to a professional stylist a few months ago and she dyed my hair this beautiful rich auburn. But after a month or so it faded to a brassy orange blonde. So I decided to try to re-dye it a dark auburn. Mistake!! It came out a dark plum color. I tried washing it and washing it (even with dish soap) but the purple stayed put. After finding this article I tried it and its lightened up to a much more natural looking dark red. It’s not quite the color I want but at least I’m not wincing every time I pass a mirror! Might try again in a few weeks to lighten it more, as soon as my hair recovers from the dish soap.

Lauren
Friday, June 7/2013 at 4:17 pm

Getting that color wouldn’t bother me. But, then again, my hair is hot pink (on purpose), haha.
Thanks for the tips on how to remove dye. It will probably be easier for me since my dye was semi-permanent and my hair is already almost 8 weeks faded.

Swati
Saturday, June 15/2013 at 1:03 am

Lol! That was informative. But I have a different problem :( I got my hair colored with some shade of dark golden 8 months ago.Now my color is old ( or may be its just the bleach left) and my hair have grown medium long. But the color has receded from roots and shows my natural color ( dark brown) And that looks awkward. I dont want to color my hair anymore and I really dont want to cut them short. Any idea how that artificial color can be removed?

Zoe
Tuesday, June 18/2013 at 11:03 pm

Hi! I’m thinking of using a temporary dye that will supposedly last 6 weeks. Will this method work with direct dyes? I’m not sure of you’ve heard of it, it’s called splat. I need to do it before camp so please hurry with an answer. Thanks!!

Amber
Wednesday, June 19/2013 at 10:00 am

Michelle I cannot thank you enough. The vitamin c trick worked sensationally. Have been having my dark blone(rodent) coloured hair streaked with blonde foils for years but decided it would be nice to look more natural and so hairdresser did two dark foils to every blond and put a dark blonde semi through the over blonde ends. What a nightmare . I resembled the dark grey dust mop your other reader described. Went back to hairdresser today and she put a few more blonde foils in and whilst I thought I looked better I still looked drab, mousey grey instead of the sunny blonde I normally have. My husbands face was the deciding factor in desperately seeking a solution that wouldn’t leave me bald . Hence I tried your vitamin c trick and can now say I love my hair once more so thank you thank you thank you.

sofia
Thursday, June 20/2013 at 5:20 am

This article was great! I really enjoyed not only was it really helpful advice given from the kindness of her heart but it was very funny at the same time. I guess that is why she is a magazine writer he he. I have been looking for ways to lighten up the toner that made my light hair a bit too dark and came across this blog and read it just for fun. And I’m pretty sure if your hair dresser is the hair dresser of Coco Rocha and THE GREAT Karl Lagerfeld than the advice you gave gave from the best source in the world, really! I have a sneaky feeling that Rachel is really the hairdresser that messed up your hair undercover. lol

Megumi Gywn
Saturday, June 22/2013 at 10:06 pm

Anyone know if these fading techniques work on dye over grey hair? I have been silver-grey over half my life, so imagine the panic when what was supposed to be semi-permanent light mahogany brown (guaranteed to wash out in a few weeks, probably not even complete grey coverage) turned out a very permanent blackwood colour. The colourist said she could lighten it – not actually correct it – at an exorbitant fee for a process she warned would mean a lot of damage. Or I could use “any mint-based shampoo” to hasten the fade. Four months later, I have a couple of inches of bright silver roots, a hands-length of very dark brown, and the rest of my waist-length hair about 4-5 shades lighter. Finally about 2% of strands are fading to gold

How do I get my grey back without shredding the hair?

kayla
Wednesday, June 26/2013 at 9:07 am

I dyed my hair from light red to black & my hair is bleached bt it turned green. & every time I wash it , the green turns lighter & lighter. How can I go back to blonde ? Or red$ I tried to bleache a strand bt it turned green. Help me? Aha

Aleixs
Wednesday, June 26/2013 at 7:52 pm

I have just applied the mix to my hair. This winter I got a hair up my butt and wanted to go from golden blonde to chocolate brown. My hair turned a purple/red dark brown. OMG at 30 I just cant pull that off, plus my eyebrows are blonde so I was a freak. Glad it was winter and I work in a call center so I wore a beanie all season. After a few try’s with a color corrector from Sally’s I was excited it had lightened. Now my hair after 6 months was still an ugly dull dark brown, the purple had faded a tad. After re dying my hair blonde (excited face) and waiting the 35 minutes, washing it out. Guess what the brown that had faded with the color corrector was back in full swing, I mean it was back to the purple dark brown. Screams, hubby thought I had come in contact with a spider or large evil creature. So keep your fingers crossed that I will be blonde by the end of the week. Note to everyone, color corrector’s can make the old dye reactivate again.

COLORISTS
Friday, June 28/2013 at 11:46 am

You seem to know nothing about color chemistry–or anything, really. Are you unaware that simple and effective dye removers are available in beauty supply stores? Several brands, work without the damage you caused your hair. It’s called a soap cap not a lightening bath and it’s over 50 years old. And the technician was a “legit” colorist because it’s illegal for anyone not licensed to apply color. Unless you understand the color wheel and the chemistry of permanent and demi permanent dyes, stop posting. What you advise can cause severe hair breakage.

Liesl
Sunday, January 12/2014 at 11:49 am

I am seriously beginning to wonder about the ability of all colorists and hair technicians working on ‘gingers’, because it seems like they do not cover natural reds in that colorwheel… My hair didn’t break at all, it looks and feels brilliant and the licenced colorist matrix dye is finally out.

diane minton
Sunday, June 30/2013 at 5:29 pm

My disaster happened two days ago. my blond and it was very light in color, hair was reduced to a horrible bluish gray mess which I have never seen one like this one was! I tried washing it out, to no avail. Yesterday I went to the local drugstore and got another box of the hair color I used, however it went even darker bluish gray. Now at this point i was experiencing a panic feeling I have never ever had with regards to my hair. Its short and cut nicely …I felt I had ruined it. after using some stuff I got at Sally’s.
I am hoping a reader might have a good idea on what to use after color removal since its so annoying. However the color looks light brown now which I am still amazed it is that normal looking, any help will be so so appreciated.

Janelle
Saturday, July 6/2013 at 12:41 pm

I naturally have light brown hair and I tried dying it dark brown and of course it turned out black.. Its terrible. Do you think her dish soap, head and shoulders thing would lighten it up?

Majorie
Sunday, July 7/2013 at 6:18 am

Am a senior so have quite a bit of gray, naturally curly, short style. Have used box colour (blonde) for years and find lately that I look totally washed out after just three weeks. So decided to go to a local salon, explained that I wanted to be a “bright blonde” no red hues just blonde. OK in the salon it did look different but when I got int the car it was dark around temples and forhead. Got home very disappointed. Called back they told me to come in in two days and they would rectify as much as possible. Receptionist kept saying that because I had previously coloured it myself there was no way of knowing how it would come out. Ok second round, the same lady, mixed stuff and applied around face and temples little here little there. Didn’t even attempt to blow dry to see if it came out good, said she had another customer did I want to go under the dryer and disappeared. got home and looked in the mirror sh——-t same only now kind of red hues. Went to Sally’s talked to a gal and she told me about dishwashing liquid method. She did warn me hair would feel like straw. Put lots of shampoo in my hand and about teaspoon of dishwashing liquid, mixed and shampood, conditioned the bejeepers out of my hair. Towel dried, no dryness, cooled the colour a bit, very little bit. Question just going to go back to doing it myself how long must I wait to do this? Meanwhile should I do the oil and perhaps lemon treatment or jus wait it out. I can get away with the colour but don’t want to. Oh even ran off full sheet pictures of what I wanted “Oh yes we can do that” ya think?????? Sorry for novel and any help will be appreciated.

Majorie
Sunday, July 7/2013 at 6:23 am

Would like email follow up or any advice you may have forgot to say that, oh do not have twitter, facebook, or all that jazz just plain old “aol” thank you very much Marjorie

Lauryn
Tuesday, July 9/2013 at 1:40 am

Why are you so perfect!?
OHMYGOD I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! (I mean, my scalp’s a little dry and itchy… BUT THE COLOR’S FADED!)
Seriously, if I were a lesbian, I’d kiss you! This is so perfect! I have naturally strawberry-blonde hair, and in an attempt to make it fiery red, it came out nasty red-orange… faded whilst doing a olive mask (had no idea that would fade it!:( ) and turned fucking pink! urghhh but this is perfect! I mean, it’s still a bit pink at the roots, but the rest is back to my natural hair colour! Thank you!:)
~Lauryn
PS- the fuck is with all these ignorant bitches hating?

Erin
Wednesday, July 10/2013 at 4:20 pm

Holy moly! This actually worked for me. I tried a new color, and it turned out very Ronald McDonald red and did not suit me at all. I made your concoction, left it on for about 45 minutes, and now my hair is the perfect shade of copper red. And compared to remedies I’ve used in the past (I play with my hair color often and it doesn’t always turn out as expected), my hair is not nearly as damaged as I was expecting. In fact, it feels pretty great. Thanks for the advice. You’re awesome!

Andie
Wednesday, July 31/2013 at 12:47 am

Can this process work to my situation because i dyed my hair black and then months after i tried dying my hair light golden brown but nothing happen it stays black :(

Sabrina
Monday, August 5/2013 at 10:04 am

I sadly, recently went through this issue -.- What I wanted was some nice, deep burgundy streaks in my hair. Nothing bright because I absolutely hate flashy. Next thing I know, my hair is majority a mix of pink and some red with blonde showing -___- It was basically a mix of Ronald McDonald meets Ron Weasley with splashes of pink and blonde. First time I ever actually decided to go to a salon to get coloring done, and this is what happens. I’ve decided to just forget all that nonsense, get some hair dye soon, and fix it myself.

Abigail
Thursday, August 22/2013 at 4:33 am

Hi. Im in desperate need of a solution! I dyed my hair for the first time, black. It looked good and I loved it but now it’s been a year since and it won’t fade and hasn’t faded at all! :( At this point I’m desperate to get it out. Help please! Thanks!

julie
Friday, August 23/2013 at 7:47 pm

I am naturally a strawberry blonde but ove the years its going very light
and have been dyeing it auburn colours would dearly love to go bak to strawberry blonde but live in australia and unfornately can’t seem to get the right formula to do at home as i cant afford to go to salon

toronto2013
Saturday, August 24/2013 at 2:35 pm

Thank you SO MUCH for this post. This WORKS!

I had blonde hair (naturally light brown, with lots of highlights and some grey), and a “colorist” yesterday was supposed to give me a dark blonde base plus highlights–but instead I got extremely ashy very dark brown all over. Even my husband (who normally never comments) said it looked bad. I tried washing several times with cheap shampoo, then Neutrogena clarifying shampoo–no effect. Then I tried a variation of your concoction (used Neutrogena clarifying shampoo, a bit of Dawn dishwashing detergent, 9 crushed Vitamin C), and left it on for about 5 minutes. I couldn’t leave it on any longer because it was really starting to itch/burn, and I have pretty fragile hair too. And it works! It’s already looking better–more subdued, less stark/intense. I’ll try it again several more times with conditioning masks in between, and maybe the overnight olive oil as well (as suggested by some of your readers).

Thanks a million for posting this!

Hairdisaster
Thursday, September 19/2013 at 7:31 pm

I too have just had a disaster. Hairdresser bleached my hair and then put a toner on that started to immediately turn my hair pink!!! Argh so one side is not toned due to the fact the toner started to go pink immediately so had to rush to the bathroom to wash it off and now I have one side orange tones and the other pink tones and I’m off on holiday in a few days :( not sure this will work with the bleach) but currently giving it a go now!

Liesl
Saturday, November 30/2013 at 3:37 am

The last pic of you is basically my natural hair colour but bow, after dye at salon to cover grey, it looks like the top picture. I live in SA, so dont have dawn (is it normal dishwash liquid?), because I need to get back to my ‘roots’.

Liesl
Saturday, November 30/2013 at 3:41 am

Oops! …but Now, …

sophie m
Sunday, January 12/2014 at 5:19 am

I recently coloured my hair a iced chestnut it came out all over black!! Thanks to garnier hair dyes ! .. quickly saw ur blog an just thought I wasn’t the only one!.. going to try it out first thing tomorrow!! Hopefully works fingers crossed x

Liesl
Sunday, January 12/2014 at 11:29 am

I went to the hair dresser with my natural ginger hair, and she destroyed it by making it mahogany/cherry red. I followed your instructions, but with South African products, head and shoulders shampoo, a bit of sunlight liquid and 15 crushed betta vitamin C 1000mg tablets. I left it in for an hour, and although I initially thought that ‘not enough cherry red’ rinsed out, after it dried, my hair was back to my fire natural carrot top (that I used to hate as child but now love). I even compared it with my son’s hair (he has my ginger gene), and it was exactly the same. I am happy that I found this after a long search and that I did not go to bleach it. Thank you!! I am very happy to be all natural again. Oh, afterwards I used a coconut oil hair mask to get it all silky soft again. My hair is now soft, natural and shiny.

Rosemarie
Monday, February 3/2014 at 9:24 pm

Interesting reading indeed. I had lovely natural caramel hair with sunkissed golden blond highlights which was bleached to within a second of it’s life by a snooty hairdresser when I requested some platinum highlights. (Palladium hair in Pretoria, SA – good job, NOT!) She just slapped the bleach foils on oblivious to the fact that previous highlights and re growth requires diffrent developing times. (Too much trouble to select the hair that has not been highlighetd I guess.) Needless to say I ended up with the cheap monotone brassy hair which made me look like a $5 hooker. I went back to the salon (BIG mistake, lesson learned, never return to the scene of the crime,) where they “fixed” it with what appeared to be black lowlights making my hair look like a grey feather duster which was not helped by the feathery rat eaten trim that followed. I was so miserable that I decided to go chocolate brown at another salon which turned out almost black and is way to harsh for my face. I read something about mixing vitamin c with coconut oil and tried it for all of 5 minutes fearing I might damage my hair. When I washed it I could actually see the colour comming out with the shampoo and my hair is now a shade lighter and so soft & shiny. I have also trimmed the feathered ends straight myself and frankly doubt if I’ll ever let a hairdresser near me with a scissor again since my cut, blunt as it is actually makes my hair look fuller & much healthier. Will be doing the whole hog in the morning based on what I’ve now read so thanks, I’m sold! Will post result. :)

Rosemarie
Tuesday, February 4/2014 at 3:06 pm

Success! Got the desired shade with vitamin c, head & shoulders mix followed by a coconut oil treatment! Fabulous! :) now I can give my hair a rest while growing out my natural colour without any obvious re-growth. So pleased – found my beauty Guru! Thank you.

Lisa
Tuesday, March 18/2014 at 3:25 pm

I agree with what you said, I also do hair. But you said don’t believe then when they say it will take 8 hours. I disagree with that part. It does not always take that long, but the time depends on the amount of hair you have, the length, what color(a) you come in with, and the desired result you want to be. Black hair going blonde for instance. I always try to use the least damaging way to go about it which takes longer but leaves the hair in better shape. You said you washed your hair about 20 times, before you went to the salon. Most clients do not do that prep work at home before they come in. So add on the time you spent doing that plus your trip to the salon and it will add on to the total of hours spent lightening your hair.

Rachel
Monday, March 31/2014 at 5:55 am

Just came across this post when I was googling how to fade my newly acquired highlights.
I have jet black hair (Indian) and asked for mahogany highlights. Apparently, the colorist kept it in too long and now my highlights are orange. My head looks like tiger skin in aerial view! :(

Help..anyone? Other than dyeing them, any home remedies to get orangey tint out?

FYI, it’s been about 48hrs since I got the highlights.

Brianna
Sunday, April 20/2014 at 4:54 pm

Do you think this method would work for hair that WASN’T bleached before dying it? I just did a red Splat hair dye over my natural color (didn’t want to damage it by bleaching) but that was last November and the red still hasn’t washed out. Advice?

Louise
Thursday, May 8/2014 at 4:01 pm

You know I’ve been blonde for over 40++ years! at home box every time. Used what ever shampoo& conditioner.. My hair has always been thick and healthy . Decided to go back to a strawberry blonde ( natural color) had it done at salon and now I have dark brown with red in it! I said this isn’t a strawberry blonde and I was told yes it is maybe little darker but will lighten up.. Now I want to go back to the blonde , red is hard to keep up also my hair doesn’t fill as healthy, could be there shampoo that’s is to be so great”! Never again . Will go back to doing it at home but need to get this color out of it.

Rebecca
Saturday, May 17/2014 at 12:32 am

Thanks for the info here. Does the vitamin c method help to eliminate yellow tones?

I have light brown hair with a few highlights (I started highlighting again after many years off and didn’t color hair during those years). It’s usually cool but it’s now getting yellow. I initially thought when I got them done that they were too bright do I went to Ricky’s and purchased Clairol Beautiful Semi Perm deposit color (no developer needed) in Champagne and Light Ash Brown tones. Started with champaigne for 5-10 mins about 2 or 3 times in fear of going too dark but simply ended up looking like I has sparkling champagne on top of highlights. Then mixed ash into champagne and somehow started making highlights warmer tone without any darkening. Then went straight into ash a few times and just made hair even more warm toned. Went to another stylist the next day and remarked my hair looked brassy and I said that was probably from Clairol Beautiful. I said I like highlights at the ends but not on top so he applied toning ash color to the top of highlights to make it more natural. Looked okay but then it was semi perm color he applied so it’s started to fade into something with an ugly yellow gold tone. Went back to original stylist who highlighted hair and I believe she put on semi-perm glaze to tone down. It has reddish golden tint in it. Wrote to another notable stylist and said to use shampoo with auburn to get rid of yellow because the purple ones are generally pretty useless on brunettes but I’m kind of afraid of it. I purchased Tresse Watercolors in Hazelnut, which has toned down reddish gold tones but hasn’t done much for yellow. Could a Vitamin C wash help fade out some of this yellow? I think is coming from the remnants of one of the many fading toners I used cause it’s really on the highlighted portion of my hair and it wasn’t there on them just after I got my hair highlighted.

Jessica
Thursday, June 5/2014 at 3:05 am

I had black hair and I would always get compliments on it since it would contrast nicely against my fair skin. Last year I decided to change it up and go lighter

Okay I went and got my hair dyed from a salon a few days ago. I wanted it to be dark brown but it turned out too dark.

I use to have jet black hair the year before and it looked very nice against my pale skin but I have changed a lot since then. I don’t wear makeup anymore and I feel goth

Jessica
Thursday, June 5/2014 at 3:28 am

Last year I had my hair dyed chestnut brown with highlights. Eventually, my hair randomly started to get lighter and lighter until my highlights turned pretty much blond. Since I have super pale skin everyone told me to dye it back to black because before the chestnut color that’s what I had and everyone says I look better that way. Just a couple days ago I dyed it back dark thinking it would look as good as it did before cause It was a nice contrast but it looks awful. It’s all because I don’t wear makeup anymore and now I look goth :( How could I naturally lighten it to a dark brown? I still want to have a darker shade than the chestnut color but I want to stay away from black. Please help me I look like a vampire but I don’t want to go back and either re dye it or get highlights I want something that will naturally and safely fade my black to a dark brown as soon as possible, I don’t want to leave my house :(

Cassidy
Thursday, June 5/2014 at 11:39 pm

I’m having a very similar situation, kind of freaking out. Could I put a toner over the red ,even after trying your method? And what kind of toner would you suggest?

Dena
Monday, June 16/2014 at 7:35 pm

Been there done that! I would love to know where you got your GREAT shower cap!? Thanks!

Jessie
Monday, June 23/2014 at 12:25 pm

I am laughing at some of these posts, criticizing your article and experience. I too went through some traumatizing hair color removal experiences and like stated from previous posts, I also wonder about these “professionals” licensed or not.

I had been dying my hair black for sometime and by the suggestion of my boss, I went to her hairstylist at a fancy high end salon to receive a consultation for color removal. Prior to this I had tried just about every home remedy you could think of (minus the dawn and vitamin c trick) INCLUDING color oops, which unlike the one post above stated “works wonders.” Au Contraire. It in fact took my roots (which is your most natural hair) and bleached them and left the remainder of my black ends, a mixture of black and deep burgundy. I would not recommend this product to anyone who consistently dyes their hair dark as it is a waste of time and money.

So with hesitation I went to the hair consultation with a vision and picture of what I wanted my new hair style to look like. The hair stylist and the salon owner told me it would take some lifting but it should not be a problem to get it to a deeper burgundy like color which is exactly what I wanted. They told me the charge would be $80 an hour since this was a HUGE process. Reluctantly I agreed and the process began. Needless to say $400 and a light brown shade later, I was extremely unhappy. This did not look at all like the picture or color the stylist and I agreed to. I told her I was unhappy and she told me to come back at the end of the week and she would fix my color. She threw a little bleach on my hair in streaks. This did absolutely nothing for the brown hue I was left with and completely avoided the burgundy tone I wanted. I was so upset I ended up dying my hair black less than a month later. The moral of the story is not every “professional” you meet listens to what you truly wants and is honest with you about the end result. Had she told me from the get go that my hue would become brown and it would be a few more visits until I could achieve my desired tone I may have been a little bit more understand and patient. They did not look out for the best interest of the client, all they saw was the dollar signs from my HOURLY color corrective job and took advantage of that.

Sarah
Monday, July 14/2014 at 3:24 pm

So, I just recently went to a salon and got highlights done. I have a blonde base to my hair and I wanted red highlights mixed in with some brown highlights to even things out. The red has turned my hair an all over color of pink…not hot pink but reddish pink…how do I fix this without having to go to the salon and pay more money then I have already spent??

Lou
Thursday, July 17/2014 at 1:03 am

OMG …… I cant thank you enough, this worked so well. You saved me, I’m new to my position in a service roll at a Very high level & I couldn’t even go outside looking like I did. I haven’t had that shade of red since art college !!!! Your advice was perfect THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH :)