Amber Heard is now a brunette and—OMG!—it’s so much better

I think drastic hair colour changes have gotta be my favourite part of the celebrity beauty oeuvre. And lately, I’m having quite the love affair with Team Brunette after Olivia Wilde finally went back to the dark side, and now… up-and-comer Amber Heard has just made the move.

Here’s what she looked like just months ago at the Met Gala:

Amber Heard Met Gala 2012 Amber Heard is now a brunette and—OMG!—its so much better

There’s no arguing that she makes a gorgeous (if not a tad rooty) blonde. With this colour she was kinda doing that whole glam Marilyn Monroe thing like ScarJo used to do, with the retro waved hair, red lips, black lashes and plunging necklines. Who knows? Maybe Johnny (Depp—in case you’re out of the loop) liked it.

But that’s over now, and so is the hair colour. Apparently she had to go brown for her role in the upcoming film Paraonia with Miley’s man Liam Hemsworth. Ready for the big reveal?

Amber Heard LACMA Art Gala 2012 Amber Heard is now a brunette and—OMG!—its so much better

Are you blown away?

I am, kind of. The first thing I noticed is that she looks WAY younger—she’s 26, but something about the blonde ages her in a way that the brunette doesn’t. It also makes her skin glow and her eyes pop! Like, I never really noticed how pretty she is with the lighter hue. Now, she looks more authentic, cooler, more naturally beautiful.

Isn’t the power of colour amazing?

Other things we should probably discuss: the incredible matte red mouth; the textured quiff; the perfectly shaped eyebrows; the radiant skin. I want it all. Well played, Amber.

Tell me:

Do you prefer Amber as a blonde or a brunette?
Have you ever made this kind of drastic hair switch yourself?
Do you agree that most people actually look best staying within a few shades of their natural colour?

Bárbara
Monday, October 29/2012 at 5:12 pm

I like the brunette colour better but the updo? It’s horrible!

Monday, October 29/2012 at 7:01 pm

Really? What do you find horrible about it? I think that texture is what makes it cool! :)

Bárbara
Tuesday, October 30/2012 at 5:40 am

Sorry! It’s just too texture-y for my taste.
I think it looks like a nest.

Gia
Monday, October 29/2012 at 10:07 pm

I really am blown away (haha – literally, there’s a hurricane here) but anyway..she looks like a completely different person! I don’t know which color I like better, but she looks gorgeous either way. I think she’s more striking as a blond and more pretty as a brunette.

p.s. – do you know how to get skin that looks as satiny and luminous as hers in the second pic? Looking at that, I have serious skin-envy right now!

Tuesday, October 30/2012 at 5:01 pm

Oh gosh! That’s a great question. I think it starts with great skincare – using stuff that’s really nourishing and not going to make you flaky/irritated. She almost looks like she just had a facial. You could try facial massage or facial acupressure as well.

With makeup, I would prep with a brightening primer and then choose a dewy, luminous foundation (cream not powder). Wouldn’t set it with much powder either – the slight sheen is what makes the look so pretty. You could even use a cream highlighter to emphasize the high planes of the cheekbones, nose, etc. And of course my favourite – blush! :)

Francesca L.
Tuesday, October 30/2012 at 6:15 am

She definitely looks younger as a brunette (and those eyes? and the skin? Stunning!). However, she is gorgeous either way.
I guess if you have very fair skin, you can look good either veeery blonde (scandinavian/Marylin blonde) or very dark. (The pros of porcelain skin!)

Sophia
Tuesday, October 30/2012 at 3:48 pm

Is it just me or does her face look fuller in the second photo? I’m a bit meh on the brown but that lipstick is wowza.

Tuesday, October 30/2012 at 5:02 pm

Yes I agree, she does look a bit plumper in the 2nd pic. Hmmm…

Erica
Tuesday, October 30/2012 at 6:18 pm

I have switched back between blonde and brown over the past few years, but always come back to blonde. Seeing this post has me itching for some serious lowlights, but I always thought/heard that brown makes you look older (obvi not with her though!). Is this normally true? or is she just a exception to the rule…

Katsy
Wednesday, October 31/2012 at 3:41 am

Speaking of celebrities, I stumbled upon this picture of your doppelganger(ish) Nicole, and I was like… I have to share this with Michelle, it’s SUCH a good pic!

rachie
Sunday, November 4/2012 at 7:44 pm

the brunette hair looks more natural. in pics with her darker hair down…it looks GORGE.

team brunette all the way!