Party makeup! Keira Knightley models 2 looks to try this season

Have you been paying attention to Keira Knightley lately? She was off the scene for a while, but with Anna Karenina coming out tomorrow (she plays Anna), girl’s been rocking the red carpet like it’s nobody’s business.

Why it matters to us: because she’s taking over where Natalie Portman left off in showing us an elegant, sophisticated breed of beauty that gives a nod to the trends but never looks victim-y. Remember how much we loved Natalie’s side bun and fuchsia lips back in 2010? That was like my ultimate party makeup at the time. (Still IS a good option.)

Now, Keira’s come forth with two more equally stunning ideas that strike the same kind of note—and would be perfect for any holiday parties coming up. Here’s the first one:

Keira Knightley Anna Karenina screening NYC 2012 Party makeup! Keira Knightley models 2 looks to try this season

Drop dead, right? I know it’s simple—just a red lip in the starring role—but let’s break down why it’s so good.

First of all, this is a way easier way to wear red than, say, the fully saturated, semi-matte Rita Ora or Gwen Stefani versions we were talking about this week. I totally get that those can be scary for some people—even I would never wear them unless I had the appropriate outfit and destination to match! (So you know, rarely.) But these slightly glossed, stained lips, these could go anywhere: day, night, it doesn’t matter. Of course, it didn’t surprise me when I found out they were Chanel, who always does the most beautiful, subtle colours. Makeup artist Katie Lee first blotted on this raspberry red, Chanel Rouge Allure lipstick in Palpitante:

Chanel Rouge Allure lipstick in Palpitante Party makeup! Keira Knightley models 2 looks to try this season

(So you see, you don’t even necessarily need a lip stain to get the effect of a lip stain. Just use lipstick and then blot.) Then, on top went a swipe of Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Rebelle (a sheer poppy) for the glossiness:

Chanel Rouge Coco Shine lipstick in Rebelle Party makeup! Keira Knightley models 2 looks to try this season

Not goopy-glossy… just a hint of shine.

Then we come to the eyes. Or should I say eyeLASHES. Wowza, they’re long! (Not falsies, I say. Latisse? Extensions? Or natural? Hmmm….) Anyway, the mega-lash drama is what really elevates the lip colour to evening-level status, but keeps it fresh because it doesn’t look heavy or overdone like a smoky eye can. The mascara is two coats of Le Volume de Chanel Mascara in Noir (out later this month), plus Laura Mercier Caviar Eyeliner in Navy and Chanel Les 4 Ombres Quadra Eye Shadow in Lagons to emphasize the lash line.

Gorgeously full brows complete the look—and she doesn’t even need more than a whisper of blush.

So that was the New York premiere… now have a peek at what happened in L.A.:

Keira Knightley Anna Karenina LA premiere 2012 2 Party makeup! Keira Knightley models 2 looks to try this season

Totally different, slightly trickier, just as beautiful. There’s something about a winged liner that makes you look and feel sexier than other kinds of eye makeup, dontcha think? It’s not realistic to rock it every day (at least in my world), but it’s definitely a good one to bust out when you’ve got an evening event that requires serious vamping-up.

And paired with the Barbie-pink lipstick? That has a slight iridescence to it? OMG, it’s love. (Yep, I think iridescence is no longer tacky. That is, if you know how to wear it the right way, i.e. circa 2012 and not 1982.)

I don’t have intel yet on which prodz were used here (since this just went down last night), but what I can do is show you some pics so you can see the eyeliner properly. Here’s the closed eye:

Keira Knightley Anna Karenina LA premiere 2012 3 Party makeup! Keira Knightley models 2 looks to try this season

And here it is on the side:

Keira Knightley Anna Karenina LA premiere 2012 Party makeup! Keira Knightley models 2 looks to try this season

So yes, it’s a little bit more of a makeup challenge… to get the look, you could use a black waterproof pencil, liquid liner or gel liner and angled brush. No matter which, I highly suggest investing in this guy:

Givenchy Mister Perfect Party makeup! Keira Knightley models 2 looks to try this season

Givenchy Mister Perfect. Remember him? He’s a magic marker that instantly erases mistakes you make with your makeup… which is so much easier than trying to manipulate a Q-Tip soaked in remover. And because the tip is quite pointy you can get very precise with your clean-up around the edges of your cat eye.

I’m dying to know what the lipstick is, and as soon as I find out I’ll update this post.

Until then… what do YOU think?

Do you like Keira’s sophisticated beauty for party makeup inspiration?
Would you wear the red lips ‘n lashes look, or are you more down with the cat eye/Barbie pink?
What other party makeup looks are you dying to try this season?

jessica grant
Thursday, November 15/2012 at 2:29 pm

gorgeous looks! the lashes in the first are most def fakies but they look quite naturally voluminous! do you have credits for the photos? i can’t see them anywhere…

Tuesday, December 4/2012 at 5:27 pm

I don’t usually credit photos unless they’re from another publication – the majority of the celebrity images I use are either supplied from a PR or “seconds,” ie. ones the photographers can’t sell for whatever reason and there is usually not proper credit info attached. By seconds I mean the lighting isn’t quite right, the celeb isn’t looking at the camera, etc…. although there are often quite a few good ones, usually from events where there are multiple photogs and they probably can’t command a high fee.

Katie
Saturday, December 7/2013 at 3:33 am

How does that work? Like where do you find them and do you need to get clearance? Do you email the PR/agent to get them?

I ask because someone wanted a celebrity image in a fan work and I wasn’t sure about copyright/right to publicity issues and how stringently things like that are enforced (or where to even find good images beyond getty images lol).

And how the heck is Keira’s skin so flawless??! (and finally @ the first image – she’s not doing her Trademark Pout)

Kharina
Thursday, November 15/2012 at 2:32 pm

Totally agree with you that Keira is doing the Natalie thing – another person doing that is Emma Watson. I hope and wish that smart girls likes these will continue to reign the carpets. It seems more interesting and the usual boring Hollywood fare (I’m looking at you Kardashians!).

Tuesday, December 4/2012 at 5:28 pm

Fingers crossed! Seems like the Kardashians are fading into oblivion finally…

Gia
Thursday, November 15/2012 at 3:43 pm

That second lip color should be entirely tacky, but for some odd reason, it looks really, really GOOD. Both of these looks are beautiful, although I could never see myself carrying off that second cat-eye.

Tuesday, December 4/2012 at 5:29 pm

Right?? There is a lipstick I’m obsessed with lately that’s almost that colour – minus the frost. It’s organic too! http://beautyeditor.ca/product/lippy-girl-organic-lipstick/

marta
Friday, November 16/2012 at 6:50 am

How come you did not even mention the HAIR on the second look?! To die for…

Tuesday, December 4/2012 at 5:31 pm

You are right – gorgeous! – and probably not that hard to DIY, just roll and pin… not sure what the back looked like.

Sophia
Friday, November 16/2012 at 12:16 pm

I attempt both of these looks on the regular – though I go full on red lip (yolo) – but somehow it doesn’t make me look like Keira Knightley. What gives, world?!

Tuesday, December 4/2012 at 5:32 pm

Ha! I know. I’m writing a post on the Victoria’s Secret beauty prep… if I follow the steps it should make me look like one of the Angels, right??

Helen
Friday, November 16/2012 at 1:27 pm

Something about her really irks me. I think it’s that silly forced pout she does in every single photo.

Tuesday, December 4/2012 at 5:33 pm

She does have a bit of a duck face going on in some pics!

QuiteLight
Wednesday, November 21/2012 at 2:57 pm

Lovelovelove the first look, will attempt as soon as I get home, probably… the second would look terrible on me, Barbie makeup on a blonde looks, well, Barbie-ish.

I think Keira gets individual false lashes – Lisa Eldridge does her makeup sometimes, and posted a tutorial on youtube on one of her looks, saying that she’d done this. So not her own, to some extent.

Tuesday, December 4/2012 at 5:37 pm

Good point – that lipstick is risky for light blondes! Dark blonde to brunette no problem.

Lisa Eldridge can do no wrong…

Katsy
Friday, November 23/2012 at 2:26 am

The Barbie pink reminds me of one of my Couleur Caramel lipsticks (those last, like woah…). It doesn’t really work for my skintone, but I did get a little sample of Chanel Rouge Allure in Palpitante, and it’s really nice, even for the full-blown red lips, which I wore today, during the day, take that conventions.. :P Passion is another great color from the line, a little darker and slightly more pigmented than Palpitante. You almost never miss with Chanel… ^^

Sally
Wednesday, November 28/2012 at 10:42 pm

I can’t say for sure, but making an educated guess on her lipstick shade…I’m going to say Chanel Rouge Allure lipstick in Extatique. She wears Chanel practically exclusively since she’s their spokesmodel.

Tuesday, December 4/2012 at 5:40 pm

Thanks for the Chanel recos ladies! Now I have to check my stash!