New York City cool girls. The front is swept in a side part and tucked behind the ear, giving way to a more textured, Californian look at the back and lower part of the hair.
“I wanted to create a hairstyle [with] a relaxed feeling. I felt it important to give a sense of life and movement to the hair and play on how the light reflects on textures, so I created a subtle, multi-textured effect."—Eugene Souleiman, global creative director for Wella Professionals.
1. Start with freshly washed and conditioned hair (try Wella Professionals Enrich Shampoo and Conditioner).
2. Roughly dry your hair using your hands. Then create a low side parting and section off the hair from the part to the crown.
3. Blow dry each section perfectly straight using a round brush to create a smooth, sleek finish. Apply tension with a brush at the roots and then loosen it as you dry to the ends of the hair.
4. Once each section is dry and smooth, sweep the hair down low over the forehead and secure behind the ear with a hair grip. Pull some of the hair forward over the ear to give a less polished feel to the look.
5. Pull the hair on both sides towards the back of the head and twist into a rope, holding it with one hand. Spray with Wella Professionals Ocean Spritz Beach Texture Spray, and then while holding the hair in a tight twisted rope, apply heat with a diffuser until the hair is bone dry.
6. For extra effect, pin the rope up until you are ready to reveal the hair. Once the rope of hair is released, the hair will have a naturally tousled look.
7. For added texture, once the hair is loose, push it upwards against the natural grain around the crown of the head to give a textured, flyaway feel.