Talk about making mountains out of molehills. As you’ve probably heard by now, Duchess Kate made the (supposedly radical) beauty move of having the front part of her hair cut into long, angled bangs. Can you even call them bangs? You tell me.

Here’s what we were starting from:

Kate Middleton before bangs Kate Middleton gets bangs (sort of); world freaks out. What do YOU think of her new look?

And here’s her new look (at the opening of the National Museum’s Treasure Exhibition in London on Monday):

Kate Middleton bangs Kate Middleton gets bangs (sort of); world freaks out. What do YOU think of her new look?

Is this a big deal? Does a teeny tiny haircut (and a very non-committal one at that) need to send the press into hysterics? Not to mention all this speculation that they mean OMGSHESPREGNANT?

I say come on! Chicks do stuff like this all the time, so why can’t the Duchess?

Not that I think it’s actually working for her, mind you. I hate to say it—and maybe it’s also the peace signs and high collar on the dress here—but the look is a bit too ’70s Halston for my taste. And maybe for somebody in her position, but gosh it must get boring having to wear the same conservative styles day in, day out. Can you imagine if she wore hot pink lipstick? The entire planet would go into meltdown.

Anyway, I do hope she grows them out after this “experimental” phase, because OBVIOUSLY this was her Life Cut. (Also: see how glossy it looked back then? Her hair’s so dry now.)

Frankly, though, I am much more concerned about that heavy black eyeliner underneath her eyes that refuses to die. Seriously, did you think we’d still be seeing it after all this time? To me that’s the REAL scandal.

Are you shocked by Kate’s new look—or shocked by the shock over it?
What can explain her ongoing attachment to the eyeliner? Help me understand this.

Laura
Friday, November 30/2012 at 12:29 pm

Are you shocked by Kate’s new look—or shocked by the shock over it? Shocked by the shock over it. So she got some layers like the rest of us…. big deal.

Do you think her bangs (if you can even call them that) are flattering or did she look better “before?” I don’t think the bangs look bad, but I think they’re a little too ordinary for her…. “Face-framing layers” is the $40 haircut the rest of us get. It seems like rich girls should go without the layers around the face. I’m not sure where I’m getting this idea.

What can explain her ongoing attachment to the eyeliner? NO IDEA. But Pippa’s is way worse. I just don’t understand.

Also, you didn’t ask, but I definitely think she’s pregnant, OR she’s gaining some weight to… facilitate ovulation, or whatever. But I think she’s totally pregnant.

Maybe she got bangs because she’s depressed over being a little heavier and wanted to get a “different” haircut for a little self-esteem boost, but this was as different as she was allowed to go.

Stephanie
Friday, November 30/2012 at 1:33 pm

I totally see the 70′s thing.. her hair kinda looks like a modern Farah Fawcett! She shouldn’t curl her hair with those bangs. Very pretty girl but between the eyeliner and the high collar+hair combo, she looks way older than she is.

Robyn
Friday, November 30/2012 at 1:59 pm

Yeah, the amount of attention her haircut has received is overkill. I don’t think it looks bad but it doesn’t do anything special for her. Personally, I think she looked better before.

Also, I think her new bangs make her eyeliner look even heavier because there’s extra volume from her hair in that region. It didn’t bother me quite as much before she cut her bangs but now it looks way too heavy.

Laura- you weren’t kidding about Pippa! I never paid attention to her before and just looked her up. Her eyeliner is definitely worse! These girls need an eyeliner intervention for sure.

Lexie
Friday, November 30/2012 at 3:58 pm

That was my very first thought when I saw this picture a few days ago – she looks waaaaaaay too ’70s. I loved her hair before, but this she needs to grow out for sure. Or style differently. To each her own though I guess :)

Sophia
Friday, November 30/2012 at 8:29 pm

Those are bangs to the same people who consider collar-bone length hair “short.”

Ellie
Saturday, December 1/2012 at 4:15 am

I like it, I think it makes her look younger and looks a bit more voluminous compared to the top picture.

Alana
Saturday, December 1/2012 at 12:21 pm

I love Kate, I think she always looks great (although not so sure about that green dress), but how does these even count as a ‘new look’?? It’s like a minimal trim that was styled a little different in the front. They barely even count as bangs if you ask me. Snooze.

Have to agree also about the lower liner thing – not a huge fan, and I thought by now she would have given it up. Pippa is definitely a worse offender though! Kind of reminds me of something you do as a teenager when you think you know how to do your own makeup until a few years later when you realize you looked ridiculous. Oh well, Kate is so lovely, I will continue to ignore the liner choice.

Leah
Sunday, December 2/2012 at 5:01 pm

Well I’m feeling like a right fool because I had NO IDEA that liner under the lower lash line was a sin:0 I sometimes do it, although never in black! Always in an earthy colour and I soften it with a brush. Must I stop this practice at once?!

Laura
Monday, December 3/2012 at 2:24 pm

I don’t think lower lid eyeliner is always a sin, but I can’t seem to figure out what makes it look awesome on some people and terrible on others. For example, staying with the royal family thing, Princess Diana looked pretty good with lower lid eyeliner: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/images/episode/b00747bh_640_360.jpg (sorry for the sad picture). And like, Emma Stone looks great: http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/images/2011/wrn/102212-emma-navy-eyeliner-340.jpg. I’m tempted to say that the two main differences between Emma and Princess Diana, on one hand, and Pippa and Kate on the other, are: 1) You have to do the water line eyeliner thing, OR you just have to make sure your water line isn’t that visible somehow, and 2) you can’t have puffy eyes. But look, in this picture, Pippa lined on the water line and doesn’t have puffy eyes, but she still looks terrible: http://primped.ninemsn.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/1Pippa-Middleton-Fashion-We.jpg . I just can’t figure it out!! We need a beautyeditor INVESTIGATION!

Leah
Monday, December 3/2012 at 6:37 pm

Haha thanks Laura! Wow Emma Stone is looking FEIRCE there. I think Princess Di only got away with that heavy under eye liner because it was the 80s! I am going to re think my under eye application from now on!

Isabel
Wednesday, December 5/2012 at 9:22 pm

While I do think that it’s not the best haircut she could have gotten, I think that this one is way more flattering than her previous one. I think the curls actually look good with the cut, although I’d be interested to see it with straight hair, too. I totally agree about the eyeliner, if she stopped using it on her lower lid, her eyes would look so much bigger and prettier. And then, maybe a slightly darker pink lipstick? Not much, just a bit darker. It would look so nice on her, she has such pretty lips. But then again, she’s always gorgeous, so, whatever.
I think it’s really stupid how shocked everyone is over a haircut like this. Imagine what they’d say if she got a mohawk/deathhawk. (That’s why I could never be her. And also my penchant for death metal.)

Katsby
Tuesday, December 11/2012 at 12:30 pm

I have a theory that Kate has permanent eyeliner tattooed. My best friend disagrees with me, she thinks that Kate is in a beauty rut and simply does her make up the same way everday, including for her wedding. I personally think that since the eyeliner has been criticized so much, she would have softened it some, if it were not tattooed.

If anyone reading this post has permanent eyeliner, and would like to have it removed, please know that it is possible. I have done this procedure myself on both my upper and lower eyes. I went to a dermatologist who specialized in this. She numbed my eyes with a gel, inserted a metal lens for protection, and then lasered the eyeliner. It took a few visits and the skin blistered in the healing process. I did not lose any eyelashes in the process.

My personal opinion is that it is better to laser the tattoo then to have white or flesh color tattooed over as a corrective measure. The cases I have seen that did this were not attractive, and should one want to laser later, I have been told that the laser turns white into black.

I am just mentioning this since I lived for many years with permanent eye make up that I was unhappy with, not knowing that it could be removed with laser at the eye area.