Grammys 2013: The 5 celebs with the best hair and makeup

Now that all the close-up pics and how-tos have been posted, it’s time for me to deconstruct the best beauty looks from this year’s Grammys red carpet.

Ready? Let’s go!

Kat Dennings

Kat Dennings Grammy Awards 2013 Grammys 2013: The 5 celebs with the best hair and makeup

New beauty crush alert! I’ve totally got my eye on Kat Dennings (she stars in the TV show 2 Broke Girls, BTW, if you don’t know her). It’s the porcelain skin… the long brown hair… the, um, voluptuousness?! (Seriously—with Katy Perry showin’ hers off as well, it was a pretty boob-centric night.)

It’s also interesting that this was one of my favourite looks because I don’t usually like dark lipstick on non-models… it can be harsh-looking and unflattering. And it’s especially risky with black cat’s-eye liner AS WELL. Somehow this girl pulls them both off, with blue sequins, even—WUT?—and I can’t figure out how it’s all working for me.

Impressed? You bet I am. Let’s keep a watch on this one, shall we?

Karlie Kloss

Karlie Kloss Grammy Awards 2013 Grammys 2013: The 5 celebs with the best hair and makeup

Well, duh. She’s a model so she’s going to look amazing no matter what. (Actually? I take that back. See: Heidi Klum.)

But seriously now. I’m really liking the new, quirky, short-haired Karlie Kloss who isn’t trying to be all conventionally sexytimes. Sometimes it’s weird, you know, when these Amazonian runway models who, let’s face it, have ZERO meat on their bones, do the whole big-sexy-hair-and-makeup thing. They’re like, 20 years old so it doesn’t seem quite authentic.

Maybe it’s just me, but I find it refreshing to see Karlie rock a cute, age-appropriate textured bob. Plus, it contrasts beautifully with her bright, tight dress. (You know, the whole “I’m not trying too hard” vibe that we should always strive for.)

Katy Perry

Katy Perry Grammys 2013 beauty Grammys 2013: The 5 celebs with the best hair and makeup

Okay, I debated whether or not to include Katy Perry in this lineup. I was going to choose J.Lo instead… until I looked again at this photo close-up and decided I didn’t really like her eyeliner and massive quantities of bronzer, even though she’s one of the only people on the planet that can look good in a super-tight top knot.

So back to Katy. Obviously, the dress was pretty “memorable”—and boob cut-out aside, a super-flattering colour with her hair and skin tone. And you know what? I think she looked good, all things considered. Yes, even though she continues to have the problem of overdoing it with such plastic-looking makeup. And despite the fact that her black hair is just a touch too solid-looking, making it seem like a wig.

Yep, she’s still as fake as can be—but at least it’s a pretty fake, not wacky rainbow-coloured hair fake (or any of the other attention-grabbing beauty ploys she’s used over the last couple of years). I mean, we can hardly expect her to pull a Karlie Kloss, can we?

Rihanna

Rihanna Grammy Awards 2013 Grammys 2013: The 5 celebs with the best hair and makeup

Totally surprised by this one. I guess when you’ve exhausted all the outrageous beauty tricks in the book, the only thing that can really shock people is to do classic Bombshell beauty.

Rihanna’s hair is, for once, not at all scary here. I love the colour gradation and loose, soft, glam waves. Plus, excellent job on the eye shading. And she wouldn’t be RiRi without the hit of bright colour on the lips. (Or the nails—did you see those?)

Just one thing, though: is that a sweat mark down the middle of her dress?

Beyoncé

Beyonce Grammy Awards 2013 Grammys 2013: The 5 celebs with the best hair and makeup

Classic, simple, perfect Beyoncé. Does this not demonstrate the power of neatly scraped-back hair with a ladylike red lip?

Of course, it helps when you have her features and bone structure. (On some people a side part would be more flattering.) The hair’s actually a low pony in the back, but what’s important is the sleekness. And the precisely-applied lipstick. It’s got a bit of a Jason Wu spring 2013 vibe to it, don’t you think?

Tell me:

Do you agree with this top five? (And if not, why not?)
Are you crushing on Kat Dennings as well?
What do you think about Katy Perry’s and Rihanna’s beauty transformations?

jenny
Wednesday, February 13/2013 at 4:47 pm

that’s not a sweat mark on rihanna, that’s her new tattoo. except for the chris brown on her arm, i thought she was stunning.

Wednesday, February 13/2013 at 9:44 pm

Yikes really? Not a spot I would’ve chosen…

Jillian
Wednesday, February 13/2013 at 5:59 pm

THANK YOU for noticing how fabulous Kat Dennings is! I’ve thought for years she had one of the best looks in Hollywood! She’s always sporting a red lip and perfect skin.
I thought Katy Perry looked amazing! The Lisa Marie Presley thing was really working for her.

Wednesday, February 13/2013 at 9:44 pm
Leah
Wednesday, February 13/2013 at 6:06 pm

Nooo Michelle I cannot believe you liked Beyonce!! Her hair is AWFUL. Get your roots done! Seriously, it’s not like she’s lacking time or money. I also hate that bronde-y colour on her. She needs to be brunette.

Karlie Kloss looked amazing! She has really done wonders for her career and profile by chopping off her locks! Great eye shadow too.

I did not like Kat Dennings. I don’t like her looks at all and I didn’t like the dark lips with the really think eyeliner AND hair down. All too much. Plus, I know you aren’t into the fashion side of things but her dress was SO BAD. So, so bad.

Cannot believe you liked Katy Perry either! I’m a bit devestated. She looks fake and tacky and her skin is bad and her hair is way too dark. Ugh.

But Rhianna!! She knocked it out of the ball park. As below poster said that’s her latest tatt you can see under her dress.

Wednesday, February 13/2013 at 9:50 pm

Beyonce’s roots don’t bother me. I think African American skin needs the smudge of darkness there when they do lighter colours. I said the same thing about Rihanna when she was blonde at the Grammys last year… http://beautyeditor.ca/2012/02/13/grammys-12-check-out-these-celebrity-beauty-dos-and-donts-straight-from-the-red-carpet/

Re: Kat Dennings, I can respect that. Like I said, I don’t know why I still liked the whole combo together… maybe it’s just her voluptuousness, which is nice to see on the red carpet (a la Christina Hendricks).

And yes Katy Perry is tacky for sure, but she’s a pop star so you kind of need to be over the top… maybe that’s why I go easy on her! Plus I love the Priscilla Presley look – MUCH prefer it to all her weird coloured hair of the past couple years. Sadly I don’t think she’ll ever go back to the cuteness of the “I Kissed A Girl” era!

Leah
Thursday, February 14/2013 at 1:01 am

Yes totally agree with you about Katy looking better here than in her unfortunate colour faze!! All that purple and blue and pink just wasn’t working for her!

Lover your website:)

Tara
Wednesday, February 13/2013 at 6:57 pm

What about Alexa Chung????? She looks WAY better than Katy Perry!!!

Wednesday, February 13/2013 at 9:55 pm

Ugh no not a fan! I mean, there was nothing wrong with her lipstick and hair I guess – but I just can’t get past her unhealthy appearance. I know she says she’s just “naturally skinny” but I’m not buying it. Compare before and after she got really famous: http://blogs.sundaymercury.net/diva-diaries/alexa%20chung%20-skinny.jpg

Robyn
Thursday, February 14/2013 at 12:22 pm

I can’t get past all the foundation on Katy Perry’s face. I can only imagine what it looked like in real life. I mean, even if she has really bad skin there has to be a better way to cover imperfections.

Kat Dennings has gorgeous skin and Karlie Kloss is always adorable. Especially with her new haircut.

I never thought I would say this but Rihanna was my favorite! I loved everything about her look…hair, makeup, and dress.

Sophia
Thursday, February 14/2013 at 1:58 pm

Katy Perry is, as always, wearing a mask. I don’t like to criticize peoples’ skin – so much of it is out of our hands – but isn’t she a spokesmodel for Proactiv? The heavy make up is not really selling the clean/clear skin thing.

I’m a bit ‘meh’ on Kat (for one I’m having trouble separating her from her horrible show) – lipstick suits her colouring but seems a bit uneven though anyone who’s tried a dark colour knows this is kind of a given. Brows and hair need some umph.

Ri & B – lovely, classic. Karlie – must try.

Sneza
Thursday, February 14/2013 at 2:37 pm

I also can’t jump aboard your Katy Perry Love Train — she’s a cool-toned girl and looks best in cardinal red, cobalt blue, black, etc…. and I think she looks chalky in this pastel baby-clothes colour.

Thursday, February 14/2013 at 4:59 pm

Ah but is she chalky-looking because of her skin tone or because of all that foundation?? :)

(Just kidding – I know what you mean… still like the colour with her black hair though)

Elaine R
Thursday, February 14/2013 at 3:39 pm

I love Kat Denning’s look! I have always thought she was totally beautiful. Her TV show is terrible though. I saw better acting in my junior high drama class. BUT! She looks fab!!!

Ivonne
Friday, February 15/2013 at 12:20 pm

no it’s no sweat mark! it’s her tatoo! :)

Comment Avatar Vero Neek
Saturday, February 16/2013 at 9:53 am

I thought Rihanna’s look was so refreshing–gorgeous gown, hair, makeup…not the trashy style we’ve come to expect…until I noticed the nips! Oh Rihanna, don’t you think you’re beautiful enough without having to show something risqué at every turn?