Rescue Remedy Got damaged hair like reader Bianca? Here’s the cut and colour Rx from celebrity hairstylist Bill Angst

The reader

Hair consultation Bianca Got damaged hair like reader Bianca? Heres the cut and colour Rx from celebrity hairstylist Bill Angst

Bianca writes:

I need major hair help. I am 22 years old and about 5 feet 8 inches tall. I have always had fine, wavy hair (and not a lot of it… sigh). I usually keep it shoulder-length, though I have had it to about my chest for two years.

Last summer, I decided to dye my hair from my natural medium brown to blonde… bad mistake. This took a toll on my hair and made it really prone to breakage, and I lost my natural wave. I do not know if it is because of the lack of body/wave, but it seems to have gotten thinner.

Hair consultation Bianca blonde Got damaged hair like reader Bianca? Heres the cut and colour Rx from celebrity hairstylist Bill Angst

After the blonde trial, I attempted to get my lustre back by getting my hair professionally dyed back to brown. After the brown faded, I unknowingly committed hair suicide and dyed my hair auburn red (semi-permanent). I continued to dye it this colour for about two months.

And this leaves me to where I am now… miserable with my damaged hair. I do not mind going short as I have had bobs before, but it can be difficult to get the right cut with this round face that my mom blessed me with (haha). I would love to get my hair health and waves back. What is your advice?

Thanks! Your advice is the best!

The consultation

Bill Angst says:

Thank you Bianca for your request and kind words. Also, you are exquisite…

There is only one way to remedy tortured hair and that is with scissors. I am sure you were hoping for a quick fix but no way, no how. Once hair has been altered enough to lose its lustre, you need to start from scratch.

Here is a short, versatile cut that will look great with your cheeks—not a round face but great cheeks! Bianca, you should thank your mother for such beautiful bone structure.

Kimberly Wyatt Pussycat Dolls performance in Sydney Got damaged hair like reader Bianca? Heres the cut and colour Rx from celebrity hairstylist Bill Angst

The cut profile…

Lea Seydoux Numero Tokyo Got damaged hair like reader Bianca? Heres the cut and colour Rx from celebrity hairstylist Bill Angst

For your hair colour, here is a picture of what I think you should consider for your next move, and then leave it alone!!!

Mariska Hargitay GLAAD Awards 2008 Got damaged hair like reader Bianca? Heres the cut and colour Rx from celebrity hairstylist Bill Angst

After you do this, you can grow your hair and be free of the textured hair you don’t want. That said, this is also a good lesson in adding a different texture to your hair. When hairdressers want to accomplish a complete texture change to create a shape or style, they would most likely mess up the cuticle with bleach. Going for dramatic colour changes can cause problems but it can also serve a purpose for alternative styling options.

billyxoxo

Want your own hair consultation?

Send at least TWO well-lit, preferably hi-res photos of you (one close-up, one full-body) with a brief description of your hair texture, colour and main hair challenges to INFO (AT) BEAUTYEDITOR (DOT) CA with “Bill Angst Hair Consultation” in the subject line.

Bárbara
Wednesday, June 5/2013 at 7:11 pm

I agree with him, she doesn’t seem to have a round face shape, but more like diamond (http://thebeautydepartment.com/2013/01/hair-talk-diamond-face-shape), and that style would look great on those cheekbones. He seem to have fallen for her haha

Gia
Wednesday, June 5/2013 at 7:40 pm

Mr. Angst has hit the ball on the nose (or whatever that saying is) once again! I wonder though, why he did not recommend a blonder color for her final shade..she looked fantastic as a blonde!

Leah
Wednesday, June 5/2013 at 8:58 pm

Because dying her hair blonde is what caused her problem in the first place!

Thursday, June 13/2013 at 8:56 pm

Agree, I love the blonde on her too – maybe once all the damage grows out in a few years she can try again with a very careful colourist. :)

Bill Angst
Wednesday, June 5/2013 at 8:30 pm

I agree Gia…
The blonde is pretty but the cost is texture!
billyxoxo

christina
Thursday, June 6/2013 at 6:00 pm

ummm yes! I think this cut would look fantastic on Bianca!!

Bianca
Friday, June 7/2013 at 12:49 am

Thanks for the great advice(as always) and compliments (I’m flattered)! I love these recomendations. I actually had my hair cut to an angled bob similar to this http://pinterest.com/pin/559150109956247178/ not long ago… I will consider going shorter, but I will have to muster up the confidence :p I LOVE the short cut though (and my mom actually rocked a similar one a couple years ago)

THANKS AGAIN :)))

Thursday, June 13/2013 at 8:53 pm

Our pleasure Bianca! I love his recommendations for you – especially the profile one. Gorgeousness.

Bianca
Thursday, June 13/2013 at 10:41 pm

Thanks again Michelle! :))

Heather
Friday, June 7/2013 at 12:15 pm

Totally agree on the face shape!! Gorgeous girl. Sometimes we need to adjust our perception of ourselves to finally land on the right cut.

Thursday, June 13/2013 at 8:54 pm

So true! Especially with her hair up, it really shows off her bone structure so a short cut would look amazing.

D
Thursday, June 13/2013 at 11:45 pm

Does semi permanent hair dye damage fine hair?

Bill Angst
Friday, June 14/2013 at 9:42 pm

It depends on the product that you use. Most colour products change your hair forever so no easy way out. Damage is in the hands of the beholder, some people like the texture change with colour and others do not. It may coat your hair, weigh it down or alter the cuticle which are changes you need to experience yourself or depend on your hair care professional …
billyxoxo

D
Tuesday, July 2/2013 at 1:13 pm

Thanks! I heard body art henna is great for the hair because it acts as a protein treatment and closes the cuticle. I think the only downside is that once you henna your hair you have to keep doing it or wait till it grows out…oh and not everyone looks good as a red head :P Do you have any experience with this?

Alicia
Wednesday, June 19/2013 at 7:54 pm

Lesson Learned for me. A few months ago I tried the Ombre look and did it myself. I honestly thought it was a process I would have to do for a couple times, but spread apart. I did the 1st round with a home honey blond highlighting kit and although I liked the gradient / highlights in my hair it was bold enough. Then I sent to Sally Beauty Supply and a girl told me the Ombra is supposed to be done all in one sweep and I should use bleach. Well I ended up being so scared that I bleached my ends in a total of 3 sessions, made the mistake of creeping too upward on the bottom so that the ombre / bleach started at the nape of my neck / nearly the roots of the bottom of the back of my head.

I had to just chop it all off because although it looked good, it was SO damanged I just couldn’t bare to blowdry it / see it / feel it. Next time I will go to a professional so my hair remains not too bleached and soft with a much better gradient. YouTube Videos make it all look so easy even after I watched a ton of Ombra videos.!

Bill Angst
Tuesday, July 2/2013 at 4:55 pm

D
I have not heard about body henna used for hair and now will have do some research. Thank you for the tip…
Traditional henna for hair has the opposite effect, henna particles get lodged in between the cuticles and rough up the texture. Which is great for those who want more texture and it should come in a clear format as well. The problem with this type of henna it is usually a metalic dye which is impossible to do any chemical treatments on the hair until it grows out. Ive seen red heads turning baby blue doing standard bleach highlights. I would get the advice from a hairdresser if henna is for you and stick with it, so if you change things up be for warned.
billyxoxo

Bill Angst
Tuesday, July 2/2013 at 4:57 pm

Alicia
Thank you for sharing your tragedy…so sorry!
It is important to pass on any warnings we can so no one has to chop off their hair.
billyxoxo