Berry good Let’s talk about the not-too-bright red lip (as seen on Amy Adams with soft, copper eyes)

Amy Adams Man of Steel premiere NYC June 2013 Lets talk about the not too bright red lip (as seen on Amy Adams with soft, copper eyes)

Red lipstick can be so polarizing. Some women live for it. But just as many swear they could never wear it—and then there is that whole issue of Girl Hot/Boy Hot. (A lot of men just don’t understand FASHUN.) They do kind of have a point, though. Sometimes a very bold, opaque red can look a little heavy and overdone. (Part of the reason why I felt inspired to write this rant.)

But that doesn’t mean ALL red lipsticks are that way. Today I want to talk about a little sub-category of reds that are actually not heavy or scary or hard to wear at all. They’re soft and pretty and and face-brightening, and they work on a whole range of skin tones.

Here’s what I’m talkin’ about, on Amy Adams this week (at the NYC premiere of Man of Steel):

Amy Adams Man of Steel premiere NYC June 2013 close up Lets talk about the not too bright red lip (as seen on Amy Adams with soft, copper eyes)

See what I mean? It’s red, but it’s a soft red. I like to call it a strawberry red. It’s not really what people broadly describe as “berry,” though—those tend to be darker and more wine-coloured. Strawberry reds are a brighter/lighter and veer more towards the pinky-coral part of the colour spectrum.

And gosh, they’re so much easier to wear than traditional reds. Look at Amy’s makeup and see how it doesn’t even look like she’s wearing a lot—the lips, cheeks, eyeshadow and hair all harmonize together. (Although you don’t need to be a redhead to pull off this look.) I particularly love how she paired the lips with the shimmering copper on the eyes. Just like the strawberry red, it’s a softer way to emphasize features without having any darkness or harsh lines.

What Amy’s wearing on her lips is a shade called French Kiss from a new-ish makeup brand, Votre Vu (I can’t figure out if they’re sold in Canada yet, so if you’ve seen the stuff, let me know!). Unfortunately, French Kiss won’t be out until September, so here are a couple other suggestions.

L’Oreal Paris Colour Caresse by Colour Riche Lip Colour in Sunset Angora Lets talk about the not too bright red lip (as seen on Amy Adams with soft, copper eyes)

L’Oréal Paris Colour Caresse by Colour Riche Lip Colour in Sunset Angora, $9.99; click here to learn more and purchase.

I came across this while searching for a dupe for MAC Lipstick in Strawberry Blonde—my original (and probably still the best) strawberry-red lipstick from the mid-’00s. (Sadly, MAC no longer sells it.) The pic above seems a bit orange, but if you go look at the comparison The Gloss Menagerie did, Sunset Angora is pretty close to Strawberry Blonde.

Rimmel London Lasting Finish Matte Lipstick by Kate Moss in 109 Lets talk about the not too bright red lip (as seen on Amy Adams with soft, copper eyes)

Rimmel London Lasting Finish Matte Lipstick by Kate Moss in 109, $7.49; click here to learn more and purchase.

Found this one by going down another rabbit hole of dupes for now-discontinued products. Revlon used to have a matte called Strawberry Suede, which was one of makeup artist goddess Lisa Eldridge’s favourite shadesThis post at Nancy Girl shows that this Rimmel London is a close match… if you wanted a little shine, you could layer some gloss on top.

I feel like there was also a YSL strawberry a couple years back, but I can’t for the life of me remember the name. Clearly, this is an under-served lipstick category! I don’t know why more companies don’t make strawberries—and even worse, discontinue them.

Tell me:

Are you feeling this softer, not-too-bright red lip on Amy?
Got any intel on other strawberry lipsticks out there?
Can we quickly talk about her hair? People are saying she got a haircut—but to me it looks rolled under, like a faux lob. Right?

Amy Adams Man of Steel premiere NYC June 2013 hair Lets talk about the not too bright red lip (as seen on Amy Adams with soft, copper eyes)

Get the products

Elaine K
Wednesday, June 12/2013 at 6:13 pm

I dunno Michelle.. the colour seems a bit too old lady for me. I’m sure my grandmother used to wear that shade of red and even that colour eyeshadow! Maybe my grandmother was just really cool ;-) but in all, I think it’s a bit aging on Amy.

Thursday, June 13/2013 at 8:04 pm

Oh really? Probably your grandma was SUPER cool! haha
Possibly you’d like it better in a more matte texture…

Alana
Wednesday, June 12/2013 at 6:14 pm

I was in a red lip kind of mood today (rarely happens – red lipstick usually scares me), and as I was surveying the results in the mirror, I thought, “this is definitely a ‘girl hot’ moment.” If you ever needed proof that I read your blog religiously, there you go. (But really, so on the money about the difference!)

Thursday, June 13/2013 at 8:07 pm

Love it! I go through on/off lipstick phases too. Lately I’m back on it. I met this celeb makeup artist on a couple occasions last week – http://instagram.com/lauren_andersen – and got totally inspired by the way she wears red and fuchsia lipstick. (If you scroll through her instagram you’ll see what I mean.) Gonna write about her soon!

Leah
Wednesday, June 12/2013 at 9:59 pm

I love it! She looks fabulous, but doesn’t she always? I love how she has left those very small smile lines around her eyes – they make her look natural and genuine and beautiful.

I think this is the kind of red that ‘people who don’t wear red lipstick’ can definitely wear. I have a very similar red and it’s fantastic and surprisingly versatile.

Thursday, June 13/2013 at 8:08 pm

What brand/shade name is yours? Inquiring minds want to know (there aren’t enough of these strawberry shades out there!).

Totally agree about Amy’s crow’s feet, I love them.

Leah
Sunday, June 16/2013 at 10:50 pm

Sorry just saw this – it’s Loreal Lip Butter in Candy Tart I think. I have a few Lip Butters so I’ll have to double check. Only issue is that it’s not as long wearing as actual lipstick.

Ann
Thursday, June 13/2013 at 8:58 am

Excellent post! I’m in!

I don’t know if it’s because I’ve got fair skin, but I just cannot find a red that looks good on me.

I still like a bright pop of colour occasionally (but something that’s still soft and pretty and flattering).

So this is the perfect solution!

P.S. I don’t think this is aging on Amy at all! I think it’s perfect.

Thursday, June 13/2013 at 8:12 pm

Are you like off-the-charts pale? I really like this question so going to ask a makeup artist about it too. Another not-too-bright red I’m liking lately is the Maybelline Colour Whisper in Cherry on Top. http://www.maybelline.ca/Makeup-Products/Lip-Makeup/Lip-Color/Color-Whisper-by-Color-Sensational.aspx
I wouldn’t call it strawberry like the ones I’m talking about above – it’s more of a pinky-red. But also very pretty and sheer!

Ann
Friday, June 14/2013 at 11:03 am

LOL, girl! I wouldn’t say I’m off-the-charts pale. I think I have the same skintone as you. Whatever foundation colour you mention that you’re wearing, that’s usually the same shade that I am.

I do have a lot of red and pink undertones in my skin though, so maybe that’s why I go for a warm peachy-pink lipstick all of the time — I think it helps distract from the red.

By the way, one lipstick you recommended a couple of years ago in your makeunder post might just be pink enough to get into the strawberry category (though it’s more like a “starter strawberry”): Guerlain Rouge G Le Brillant Jewel Lipstick Compact in B61 Brenda.

That’s still one of my favs and one of that I always get compliments on!

But I’ll definitely check out Cherry on Top next time I’m at Shoppers. I think a not-too-bright red will help me move beyond peachy-pink. I’m ready. Let’s do this!

MANDANA T
Tuesday, August 13/2013 at 1:36 am

hey!

i just wanted to say thanks for the mention in this story! did you ever get to check out the rimmel dupe for strawberry suede? i have three bullets of strawberry suede and i do think in person they look pretty similar. at least rimmel 109 kate is a good strawberry…

thx again for the mention.

:) mandana @ nancy girl