New Wave Does your hair only look good when you curl it? Here’s the cut Bill Angst recommends for reader Courtney

The reader

Reader hair consultation Courtney Does your hair only look good when you curl it? Heres the cut Bill Angst recommends for reader Courtney

Courtney writes:

My hair is currently quite long with Ombré ends. The roots (to about my chin) are my natural colour, which is a light bronzy-brown. Other than the Ombré ends, I have no colour in my hair.

I am finding the Ombré only really looks right if my hair is at the very least wavy. But I don’t want to have to curl my hair for it to look good—since my hair is so straight and long, curling usually takes me over half an hour, and about half a pound of hairspray.

My hair tends to be healthy and I currently only wash it every three to five days, using dry shampoo on day three on. I like to wear it in a bun when it starts getting too dirty. It has a very slight wave if I let it air-dry, but straightens very easily with a straightener, blow dryer, or even if I brush it while it’s drying. My hair is fine in texture (you should see me on a windy day!) but I have a ton of it.

I’m not married to keeping my hair long, but I’d love to know what you think. Thank you so much for your help!

The consultation

Bill Angst says:

So Courtney… I am thinking about a shorter cut for you, keeping the ends soft as they are currently. The new length and layers will release the weight and give you a little lift and movement. If you wear this length straight or use a wand to add texture, you will rock a new overall style.

Miranda Kerr mid length hair Does your hair only look good when you curl it? Heres the cut Bill Angst recommends for reader Courtney

Big note to point out about the subtle subtext of this look; the part starts from slightly off-centre and then goes diagonally to become a centre part at the crown. Also try tucking your hair behind the ear on one side to open up the eye area and let us see more of your forehead.

UPDATE: This is a straight version of this haircut.

Jennifer Aniston mid length hair Does your hair only look good when you curl it? Heres the cut Bill Angst recommends for reader Courtney

(The curled version was to illustrate how to bring out your natural beauty by exposing your great bone structure and bright eyes. You could create the same facial exposure with this straight hairstyle.)

For your colour, I recommend strategically-placed highlights and lowlights. Lowlights will deepen the ends for a balance of dark versus light, but you should still have the ends a bit lighter than the roots to mimic a natural colour. Then I would suggest a caramel rinse to finesse and blend all of the tones. You’ll have a richer colour that will frame your face and make your eyes pop.

billyxoxo

Want your own hair consultation?

Send at least TWO well-lit, preferably hi-res photos of you (one close-up, one full-body) with a brief description of your hair texture, colour and main hair challenges to INFO (AT) BEAUTYEDITOR (DOT) CA with “Bill Angst Hair Consultation” in the subject line.

Suzanna
Thursday, June 13/2013 at 1:48 pm

I think her current cut and color look fabulous!

Thursday, June 13/2013 at 8:00 pm

I agree but I know exactly what she’s talking about with the Ombré – when I had it, it didn’t look right when I wore my hair straight either. So with less length to weigh it down, probably easier for her to get some wave.

Bárbara
Thursday, June 13/2013 at 2:36 pm

Side bangs would look great on her!

Lindsey
Thursday, June 13/2013 at 5:51 pm

Is there a picture with an example of what it would look like straight? Wasn’t that the question?

Thursday, June 13/2013 at 8:01 pm

Bill has just added a pic above of what it would look like straight – he’s going to respond to your comment as well :)

Lindsey
Thursday, June 13/2013 at 10:51 pm

Thank you, I appreciate it. I have this problem as well, so I was really interested in what the straight cut looked like.

Friday, June 14/2013 at 1:29 pm

Bill has also added a couple thoughts above on the straight vs. curly styles. Hope that clarifies!

Courtney D.
Thursday, June 13/2013 at 8:42 pm

Thank you so much for doing this!!! I am totally going to follow his advice. :)

Courtney D.
Friday, June 14/2013 at 8:10 pm

Ok I hate to ask, but is there any picture that shows the color he describes? I’m having trouble getting a visual that I can take to my stylist. Thanks!

Bill Angst
Friday, June 14/2013 at 9:23 pm

Ok, so all of the comments Rock…
Thank you so much!

Suzanna
I think with Courtney`s stature and thickness of hair it is currently too long…

Barbara
I am not sure that a side swept bang would open up Courtney`s face and show off her jaw line, cheekbones and incredible eyes.

Lindsey
I am sorry it was difficult for me to find a straight version of this particular cut. I am so glad that you made this request. The archives are a great resource.

Courtney
Miranda`s color is what I see right for you. The dark is your own and the highlights caramel are strategically placed to frame your face and show off the cut. This will make your hair shiny and luxurious.

billyxoxo

Courtney D.
Saturday, June 15/2013 at 10:34 pm

Fabulous, thank you. I just wanted to be sure. :)

Thanks for the compliments too. Made my day!