Light Worker Did Ashley Tisdale take the whole inner-corner highlighting thing a bit too far?

I’ll never say never, but at this point it seems unlikely that Ashley Tisdale will ever be someone I’ll look to for beauty inspiration. Oh, I know she’s a very pretty girl—definitely “Boy Hot” to millions of red-blooded males. And after seeing her in this video, she definitely grew on me:

But beauty-wise, I just don’t find her California look with the tanned skin, limp waves and semi-Ombré dye job that aspirational. Nor do I particularly want to copy her makeup—especially the look I just spotted today! Check this out and then tell me if you’re seeing what I’m seeing:

Ashley Tisdale MySpace launch event June 2013 Did Ashley Tisdale take the whole inner corner highlighting thing a bit too far?

Okay, not just the duck face. I’m talking about the highlighter! She’s applied so much light, shimmery eyeshadow to the inner corners of her eyes that the area looks completely opaque and white. So much for the ‘ol light trick that makeup pros always talk about to fake a wide-awake, brighter eye look. Applied with such a heavy hand, the concept of subtlety basically flies out the window!

Here is the (more disturbing) close-up visual:

Ashley Tisdale MySpace launch event June 2013 close up Did Ashley Tisdale take the whole inner corner highlighting thing a bit too far?

It’s just so OBVIOUS. And the rest of the eye-makeup application doesn’t help. I feel like there’s too much shimmer all over the lids, and she probably didn’t need that waterline-lining in harsh black. Plus, the brown shadow could be a tad softer and more blended out.

But don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying the idea behind this was a mistake. A little highlighting, a little shading, a little shimmer—it can all be good if you know what you’re doing.

Here’s an example of it working well on Sarah Hyland:

Sarah Hyland Teen Vogue Young Hollywood Party 2011 Did Ashley Tisdale take the whole inner corner highlighting thing a bit too far?

I could do without the heavy false lashes, but otherwise I really love this makeup job. There is lightness around her inner corners, but it’s not as opaque and metallic. It’s also soft and well blended, and it extends in a curve right up to the brows so it’s a lot more harmonious with the rest of the eye. The shading colour also stays below the crease, so it’s not as obvious. And I love that she’s kept things light and open by doing a bronzey metallic liner below the lower lashes instead of closing them up with black in the waterlines.

See what I mean? So you CAN still enjoy this makeup artist highlighting trick—you’ve just gotta use a light hand. Otherwise, it starts to become the 2013 equivalent of highlighting the browbone with white shadow. (Eeks! I hope nobody is still doing that. Please tell me you’re not?)

Do you agree that Ashley took her inner-corner highlighting too far?
Or do you think she still looks pretty okay despite the heavy hand?
Do you do this trick too—and if so, what product/technique do you use?

QuiteLight
Friday, June 14/2013 at 12:18 pm

… I think they are both incredibly heavy-handed. I have never really bought into the inner-eye highlight, because we Don’t Catch Light There. It always looks phony & odd to me. It’s like contouring the apples of your cheeks; back assward. It makes that area look swollen out.

Plus, Sarah Hyland’s white highlights on her very tan coloured skin looks really odd.

QuiteLight
Friday, June 14/2013 at 12:19 pm

Maybe a gold or peach on Sarah, if she must.

Jillian
Friday, June 14/2013 at 12:20 pm

I actually don’t mind this too much. Yes, it’s heavy handed and could use some blending all the way around, but I like that she’s doing kind of a smokey eye with light, sparkly colors.

Robyn
Friday, June 14/2013 at 3:16 pm

I’m not a fan of this look most the time. Usually it’s way too obvious. To be honest I don’t really like Sarah’s version too much either but it is definitely done better than Ashley’s. I would think there are some people who pull it off but I’m guessing it’s done so well it isn’t as noticeable as these two.

However, I’m glad that Ashley is not quite as tan as she used to be. I think she would look even better a more natural shade but this is an improvement!

Caitie
Friday, June 14/2013 at 8:31 pm

I think it is too much on Ashley, lovely on Sarah. When your eyes are on the smaller side eye makeup is challenging (I find). I am a fan of the inner corner highlight, I do it all the time and have been since I first started wearing makeup. I hardly ever line the waterlines as it does close the eye off.

Alexandra
Sunday, June 16/2013 at 9:28 am

Ashley always tries too hard. Never liked her, don’t know why but there’s something about her style that makes me cringe. Too much Disnet perhaps.

Leah
Sunday, June 16/2013 at 10:31 pm

And the whole.. “I had surgery for a deviated septum and just happened to have a nose job at the same time” thing!!

But seriously she looks awful. Way too much!

Kate
Monday, June 17/2013 at 9:55 am

I think Sarah Hyland’s works because her lower liner is softer brown and nice and blended. The black on Tisdale (esp against the blonde hair) makes her look a little early 2000′s Vegas or, something

Hannah
Monday, June 17/2013 at 1:28 pm

I can see why one would not be a fan of this but honestly, I LOVE Ashley’s look here. The way the warm tones of her eyes, shadow, skin, and hair blend together is so delectable. I’m not a fan of Ashley really, but I would love to copy this look and I can’t believe people feel so strongly against this :(

Katsby
Wednesday, June 19/2013 at 12:11 pm

I have small deepset eyes with a heavy browbone. The best thing I ever did was to stop highlighting the browbone with white shadow. I was emphasizing my already prominent browbone with that look, but it was the look of the time when I learned to apply make up.

I now actually do a version of the highlighted inner corner since with small eyes and limited area beneath the brows there is little “fun” one can have with eye make up. I follow the tip from Robert Jones, which is to let the inner corner be the only area that has shimmer on the entire face.

Ashley also has small eyes with a low brow, and I am thinking this is why she (or her make up artist) chose this look. I think it would have looked better if Ashley would have eased on the amount of the inner corner shimmer, used matte eyeshadow on the rest of her eye and like you said, not lined the waterline. I never line underneath my eye since it closes my eye too much.

Jessica
Wednesday, June 19/2013 at 7:12 pm

I actually disagree. I really like both looks! However, I do agree that Ashley Tisdale’s look is too harsh for day.