Long Story Rebekah feels bored with her fine, highlighted hair. Celeb stylist Bill Angst to the rescue!

The reader

Hair consultation Rebekah Rebekah feels bored with her fine, highlighted hair. Celeb stylist Bill Angst to the rescue!

Rebekah writes:

My hair has thinned out and lost some of its natural curl over the past three years, and I’m starting to get just a few grays (I’m 32). I would still consider my hair average thick, but my strands are fine. I think because of all the hair changes, I have not been happy at all with any of my stylists. They love to give me chunky layers in the back and feather out the front. Also, since I was 16, I’ve gotten blonde highlights almost continuously, but I am tired of the bleached-out, streaky look. Since my hairline isn’t straight (it dips at my temple area), I almost always have roots immediately. In December, I had someone lowlight with a filler and trim it straight across to try and even it out. Since then I haven’t touched it. I also have a funny cowlick on the right side, so I part there and stay away from bangs.

All that said and done, I feel BORING BORING BORING! Should I try some red? Ombré it? What about the cut? I do like my hair a little longer right now. Thanks!

The consultation

Bill Angst says:

Rebekah,

I agree. Leave your hair long and keep growing it. Always keeping your ends clean is important for long, fine hair to look its best. We call it a dusting!

I suggest a side bang gently cut on the one side of your face and one length on the other side of the part with a soft wisp to compliment the bang when up or in a pony.

Side bang hairstyle Rebekah feels bored with her fine, highlighted hair. Celeb stylist Bill Angst to the rescue!

Speaking of which, please consider a part that is messy and is driven from your cowlick to your crown. This is good for balancing hair distribution and diminishes the strong look of the cowlick.

Natalie Portman AFI Life Achievement Award 2010 Rebekah feels bored with her fine, highlighted hair. Celeb stylist Bill Angst to the rescue!

As it gets longer, a wand could help you style like this as well as straight.

Emily Osment Do Something Awards 2008 Rebekah feels bored with her fine, highlighted hair. Celeb stylist Bill Angst to the rescue!

This is the colour that I chose for you.

Rebekah hair colour Rebekah feels bored with her fine, highlighted hair. Celeb stylist Bill Angst to the rescue!

It will add visual depth to your hair and show off its thickness. There are some natural lowlights with very warm caramel colours and a bright highlight. A gloss is a great idea for shine. It may take a little longer or another visit but is worth the effort. I was trying to find a suitable red colour but it is difficult with photos to be exact with skin tone. I feel this colour has the warm tones missing in your current colour.

billyxoxo

Want your own hair consultation?

Send at least TWO well-lit, preferably hi-res photos of you (one close-up, one full-body) with a brief description of your hair texture, colour and main hair challenges to INFO (AT) BEAUTYEDITOR (DOT) CA with “Bill Angst Hair Consultation” in the subject line.

Kate
Wednesday, June 19/2013 at 11:54 am

By “keep the ends clean”, does that mean all one length? Or just usual trims? I’m always torn between layers vs one length, and I have a very similar hair type

Thanks!

Keirele
Wednesday, June 19/2013 at 12:15 pm

Oooh, I have this same problem! I have learned to run away screaming when stylists start talking about “face framing layers.” They always look scraggly about a week later.

Bill Angst
Wednesday, June 19/2013 at 12:22 pm

Regular trimming is best for fine hair with or with out layers. I almost always like fine long hair without layers with some exemptions.
billyxoxo

Dana
Wednesday, June 19/2013 at 11:41 pm

Can we talk about hair extensions next? I’d really like to get them,, but don’t know what I should be looking for when choosing a stylist (in Sydney, Australia!)

Heather
Thursday, June 20/2013 at 10:14 am

Love this advice, I especially love Bill’s take on parts every time. Been trying to mess with mine now to experiment with distribution!

P.S. Is there any way to know if we are the the queue for a consultation? I have a hair appointment soon that I’d be happy to postpone if my picture was about to come up :)

Bill Angst
Thursday, June 20/2013 at 4:11 pm

Dana
I will check with Michelle and see if i can do an article about extensions so you will well informed.
billyxoxo

Bill Angst
Thursday, June 20/2013 at 4:14 pm

Heather
Your consultation will be posted in two weeks. I am sorry for the hold up but I am doing the consultations in a first come first serve manner. I am really looking forward to come up with a great idea for you.
billyxoxo

Heather
Thursday, June 20/2013 at 5:09 pm

Thanks so much! :) I really appreciate it!

Rebekah
Friday, June 21/2013 at 11:07 am

Thank you so much Bill!!! Great advice, I love all the ideas and the color is beautiful.

Bill Angst
Friday, June 21/2013 at 12:31 pm

You are most welcome.
billyxoxo

Karen Strickholm
Tuesday, April 22/2014 at 7:51 pm

I have the exact same hair, hairline AND cowlick! My hair is also fine and thick. I have done with my hair every single thing that Bill recommended, and I get compliments all the time (including the softly side-swept pieces in the front).

The biggest factor I’ve found with my hair, is that it shows every cutting error known to mankind. So, I only go to Sasoon-trained stylists, who seem to really “get” my hair. So that’s another thought — upgrade who is cutting your hair to someone who has mad skills. Once I did that, I only get my hair cut and colored every 12-16 weeks, so 3-4 times a year. I don’t get all-over color. Instead, I have highlights and lowlights — no grow-out marks around the hairline.

Good luck, Rebeckah!

Karen Strickholm
Tuesday, April 22/2014 at 7:52 pm

PS: Once I started going to a top-shelf stylist, the cowlick ceased to be a problem, and actually became an asset, “lifting” my hair a bit off my face.

Karen Strickholm
Tuesday, April 22/2014 at 7:54 pm

PPS: Most styling gels, mousses, etc. are too heavy for my fine hair, and make it get dirty really fast too. I finally discovered a FANTASTIC product for my kind of hair — Oribe Royal Blow-Out Spray. You just spray it on the lower part of your hair when wet, brush or comb through, then blow dry. GREAT STUFF!!!