Big smoke Kylie Minogue and the non-traditional shimmery, smoky eye (let’s do this!)

Kylie Minogue Kylie Fashion book launch Saks NYC June 2013 Kylie Minogue and the non traditional shimmery, smoky eye (lets do this!)

I was in NYC this week, and I’m so mad that I missed (by a day) a Kylie Minogue sighting. I love her, so I totally would have gone. She was at Saks Fifth Avenue (a stone’s throw from my hotel) for a public appearance to promote her new book, Kylie Fashion… and holy eff, she looked amazing.

Kylie Minogue Kylie Fashion book launch Saks NYC June 2013 3 Kylie Minogue and the non traditional shimmery, smoky eye (lets do this!)

Her SKIN! It’s glowing. And Kylie is 45 years old. Now, I’m not kidding myself that she hasn’t done injectables (although this journalist interviewed her at the event and observed that her forehead still moves when she talks); it’s more the über-flawlessness that I’m astounded by. There’s no retouching in these photos… and at this resolution, even the best makeup job can’t cover up uneven texture and pigmentation (which she clearly does not have).

The head-to-toe is also impressive:

Kylie Minogue Kylie Fashion book launch Saks NYC June 2013 4 Kylie Minogue and the non traditional shimmery, smoky eye (lets do this!)

I love that she actually wore an ankle bracelet (a crime on anyone else). And God, how many 25-year-olds would kill for her figure… let alone 45-year-olds? Insane!

But what I want to talk about regarding Kylie isn’t just her apparent agelessness… it’s her makeup. We may never be able to get her rad body or flawless skin, but at least we can do the cosmetic part!

Take a closer look:

Kylie Minogue Kylie Fashion book launch Saks NYC June 2013 2 Kylie Minogue and the non traditional shimmery, smoky eye (lets do this!)

See the eye area? It’s a smoky eye, but it’s not the kind everyone thinks about when you use that term. Here’s the breakdown:

• A sheer wash of warm, slightly shimmery, taupe eyeshadow all across the lids, extending above the crease more dramatically at the outer edges. The easiest smoky eye technique you’ll ever do! The key thing is to choose a colour that’s not too dark compared to your skin, and to blend really, really well. Lately I’ve been using Stila Smudge Crayons (waterproof primer + shadow + liner all in one) for everything, and the shade Antique is really close to what Kylie is wearing. It goes on like a creamy pencil so you’d just need to blend it out with a brush.

Stila Smudge Crayon in Antique Kylie Minogue and the non traditional shimmery, smoky eye (lets do this!)

• A second, soft layer of plum eyeshadow just at the outer edges to add interest. You can only really see this when she lowers her gaze, so I’d say this step is optional.
  • A defining black mascara on both the upper and lower lashes. The new one from Maybelline New York would be a good choice, and there is also the new MAC Extended Play Gigablack Lash Mascara (my latest obsession), which has an amazing skinny brush so you can get super-close definition.

MAC Extended Play Gigablack Lash Mascara1 Kylie Minogue and the non traditional shimmery, smoky eye (lets do this!)

Too Faced 3 Way Lash Lining Tool Kylie Minogue and the non traditional shimmery, smoky eye (lets do this!)

• Brown eyeliner softly smudged along the lower lash line to add definition without closing up the eyes.

I love this makeup because it’s dressy but without the harshness you tend to get with darker colours. Hooray—there IS another way to do a smoky eye!

Kylie Minogue Kylie Fashion book launch Saks NYC June 2013 5 Kylie Minogue and the non traditional shimmery, smoky eye (lets do this!)

As for the rest of Kylie’s look, her eye colours harmonize really well with the pale peach (not-too-shiny) lipstick, peach blush and of course ridiculously good skin. I’m debating over whether her eyebrows needed filling in, but I think I’m okay with them just natural like this. It keeps everything nice and soft and blonde—a cool contrast to her graphic black earrings and dress.

Do you think Kylie looks good here?
Are you a fan of the non-traditional smoky eye?
What are your favourite shadows and mascaras right now?

Get the products

Zoe Gruss
Friday, June 21/2013 at 7:23 am

Kylie looks amazing! The make-up is flawless and the subtle smokey-eye is definitely a hit. Her complexion is near perfection and she looks positively radiant!

Jillian
Friday, June 21/2013 at 11:27 am

She looks beyond amazing here, and I’m stealing that smokey eye look right away!

Lisa
Friday, June 21/2013 at 12:22 pm

So pretty! That makeup is stunning. And such a nice change from the usual black and gray smokey eyes.

Saturday, June 22/2013 at 2:01 pm

Glad you guys agree! I tried this and it’s so much easier to wear than the darker colours… although I think I need Kylie’s skin to really do it justice :)

QuiteLight
Friday, June 21/2013 at 2:25 pm

Really, really pretty, I will totally be trying it! I really like how the purple makes her blue-green eyes pop.

I wish her brows were a little darker, but that’s a personal preference. Just a smidge.

Saturday, June 22/2013 at 2:03 pm

Yep I can totally see that – up close I’m okay with them but they do get lost a bit from far away.

Kate'shomesick
Friday, June 21/2013 at 7:41 pm

Hm…I think she looks well groomed and the make up is very nice but that’s it. I’m sorry. It’s not just the plastic surgery- that I dislike so much I would dare to use the word ‘hate’- it’s also the hairdo (forehead), the eyebrows (not enough of them)…I never got the hype with her. I’m sure she is a lovely person with a lot of talents but she is neither a great singer/musician nor a great actress or exceptionally beautiful. It certainly doesn’t help that I think everything about her outfit (except the ankle bracelet ;-)) is tacky as hell…I’m sorry if I sound mean but I just had to speak my mind.

Saturday, June 22/2013 at 2:10 pm

It’s okay to disagree! I used to live in Australia so I’m fully on board with the Kylie fan club, but she was never big in North America… not sure why. I’m sure that’s part of not seeing what I’m seeing :)

Kate'shomesick
Saturday, June 22/2013 at 7:12 pm

I wouldn’t know about North America :-). I’m German and she used to be pretty big here, I think.

huw thomas
Thursday, August 1/2013 at 8:44 pm

GRRRRRRRR!!!! Watch one of her amazing shows and see how much she loves and respects her fans. She hits all the notes live (er hello Britney and Katy), looks amazing and has done so many fantastic songs that it is impossible not to adore her. But this isn’t one of those nasty websites where there’s exciting exchanges like “I hate her” “I love her” “I hate her” so I will shut my big trap. I wil now smash up my kitchen and then watch Kylie Homecoming tour DVD to calm my gay nerves. Al the best

huw thomas
Thursday, August 1/2013 at 8:47 pm

I just love her and think she looks amazing. She has had a few bodges with the cheek filler in her time and she may have had a little more work done than you imply (brow lift leaps out) but at 45, my god she could be 35. Nice to see a few lines around the eyes – shes not going for the mask. Make up beautiful as always. I love her and not just because I’m gay. Although that helps. Byeeeeee!