Fine Tuning Got fine, wavy hair—AND a cowlick? Bill Angst’s cut and colour advice for Maddy

The reader

Hair consultation Maddy Got fine, wavy hair—AND a cowlick? Bill Angsts cut and colour advice for Maddy

Maddy writes:

I feel like my hair is a bit boring. I have naturally fine, wavy hair that is quite thick towards the ends, which makes it hard for me to get away with anything too choppy. I would love to change it somehow, but my hairdresser is adamant that it should all remain one length. I don’t suppose there is a way around that, where I can come out not looking like a fluffed up, frizzy poodle?

I’m open to playing around with colour too. I’ve coloured my hair in the past, everything from black to blonde and it was fun, but it never felt like I found the right colour—something that was vibrant and that actually suited me. Is there any particular colour you would suggest? Or a tonal family I should stick to?

Also, most importantly, what the heck can I do about my hairline’s centre cowlick? It’s absolutely awful! I have no idea where to part my hair because of it! I swear I was actually considering getting it threaded off at one stage!

The consultation

Bill Angst says:

Ok Maddy, so this was a tough consult… how can I improve on your natural perfection? The picture of you above is my fave because it shows off the pretty movement you have.

Here is a cut that has layered ends and a deep side sweep, which may help weigh your cowlick down. Wearing your hair really forward with the distribution from the crown creates a pretty, sultry look.

Medium length layered cut Got fine, wavy hair—AND a cowlick? Bill Angsts cut and colour advice for Maddy

Keep your length and keep growing it.

(UPDATE: Here’s what a longer layered style would look like.)

Long layered hair Got fine, wavy hair—AND a cowlick? Bill Angsts cut and colour advice for Maddy

I also like this colour for you. You could achieve this by adding medium brown lowlights and using the existing colour for the highlight.

On the other hand… I love how soft you look with this warm tone:

Hair consultation Maddy 2 Got fine, wavy hair—AND a cowlick? Bill Angsts cut and colour advice for Maddy

So here is a colour that will suit you and make a strong statement:

Medium length reddish hair Got fine, wavy hair—AND a cowlick? Bill Angsts cut and colour advice for Maddy

As for your cowlick, when I was in my early teens I had a similar hairline problem and shaved mine off. Yikes, what an eyesore… stubble a go-go and it never ended. If you do anything to remove your hair, laser is the way to go.

If you were to try a bang, this is a way of using your cowlick for volume. This bang would have to be coming from farther back on your head, which will give it the weight for better control.

Angelina Jolie bangs Got fine, wavy hair—AND a cowlick? Bill Angsts cut and colour advice for Maddy

The extra length shown here would be great with the bangs for you.

billyxoxo

Want your own hair consultation?

Send at least TWO well-lit, preferably hi-res photos of you (one close-up, one full-body) with a brief description of your hair texture, colour and main hair challenges to INFO (AT) BEAUTYEDITOR (DOT) CA with “Bill Angst Hair Consultation” in the subject line.

Leah
Wednesday, June 26/2013 at 10:13 pm

Is there anyone who reads this blog that ISN’T drop dead gorgeous? So far they are all stunners…

Wednesday, June 26/2013 at 11:10 pm

Haha it’s true! I’ve been surprised by this as well. But by no means does anybody have to look this model-esque to get a hair consult :) We’ve been doing them all on a first-come, first-served basis, with one posted every week!

Jess
Thursday, June 27/2013 at 1:23 pm

Yeah this girl is Kate Winslet’s doppelganger, no big deal or anything.

Angela
Wednesday, June 26/2013 at 10:35 pm

I love Bill’s hair consults but I am wondering if he also cuts curly Italian hair. (read: frizzy, thick thick thick, dark)???? If so, I am 100% making an appointment once it grows a bit!

Wednesday, June 26/2013 at 11:11 pm

Oh yes I am confident Bill can do anything! He’ll probably jump in here when he sees this comment.

maddy
Thursday, June 27/2013 at 3:38 am

Hey Bill :)
thanks sooooo much for all of your wonderful advice! I like the suggestions you made, but I was wondering if you had any pictures of longer hairstyles that would suit me? My hair is now at least four inches past my shoulders, so I’m not sure whether the first picture suggestion you posted is as relevant because you said that I should keep growing it. So I’m a bit confused :S haha! Oh, and thanks so much for the cowlick advice, I would hate to have ended up with a stubbly forehead haaha! xx

Tuesday, July 2/2013 at 11:02 pm

Hi Maddy, Bill has sent me a pic of longer layered hair to show you what that would look like – please see the update in the post!

Bill Angst
Thursday, June 27/2013 at 7:28 am

Why don`t you submit your photo Angela and I can see if there is anything that I could suggest. I love a challenge but with strong hair types they require strong styling. Cutting can help but knowing your tools and products are your best bet.
billyxoxo

Angela
Thursday, June 27/2013 at 10:45 am

Thanks Bill, I will submit as soon as I get a chance this week!

Lexie
Thursday, June 27/2013 at 7:41 pm

Yep – Kate Winslet or Rachel Weisz doppleganger. You are gorgeous!!!!

Maria
Tuesday, July 2/2013 at 9:07 pm

I just love seeing what Bill comes up with every week so fun and exiting, I can’t wait for my consultation! Is there any way to know where in the queue I am cuz I’m dying to get a new haircut! :)

Tuesday, July 2/2013 at 11:04 pm

I will check with Bill – yours should be coming up soon!

Tammy
Friday, October 18/2013 at 3:55 am

Hi

I am urgently seeking help with:

Fine, wavy hair.
Oval/ diamond face (Love my big eyes and cheekbones)
I think I have a cowlick in my forehead area (I have tried bangs and I have to sit with a flat iron or hair drier to make them look slightly presentable)
I am not sure what this is, but my hair seems to prefer showing off my scalp at the crown if I leave my hair loose.

I am considering going really short as I much prefer spending more time on make up rather than on my hair. So I am going for something that will work for me.

Hope you can help… :)