It’s official: Jessica Alba is back on top of her beauty game. (I wasn’t sure there for a little while, what with the black eyeshadow, pink lips and greyish-green foundation incident at the Guys’ Choice Awards. What can I say? I have high expectations for The Alba.)
But at Comic-Con for the Sin City panel, girlfriend nailed it. Nailed. It.
Okay, I’m speaking mainly about the hair, mind you. I don’t know what was going on below that crop top. But above the neck, wowza—so much glowiness, so much bronzing, so much sexy.
When you look at Jess front-on, you just see long, straight, side-swept hair for days:
It’s not until she moves her head to one side that you notice—OMG!—there’s a really cool braid in there. Notice how perfectly sharp that part is, and how tightly the hair above the ear has been plaited.
The result is like an undercut (see: Rosario Dawson), except you don’t have to buzz anything off. I especially love how it goes with the punky earrings! It’s just edgy enough.
Renato Campora was the hairstylist behind the look, and here are his exact steps for how to copy it:
Half-Back Braided Hairstyle Tutorial
1. After shampooing and conditioning, create a side part in wet hair, from the top of the head all the way down to the nape of the neck.
2. Apply a spray gel (try DevaCurl Spray Gel) on the side where you’ll be braiding.
3. Create a flat cornrow braid from the front to the back of the head. End the braid underneath the loose hair on the other side, and secure it with a clear elastic.
4. Apply a volumizing spray (Renato used Kérastase Volumactive) to the loose side of the hair, and blow-dry in a forward direction with a round brush.
5. To finish, run a T3 flat iron through the loose hair for extra sleekness.
Here’s the finished effect:
Pretty incredible… and dare I say it—sort of easy? I love this idea for adding a bit of flair without the complication of an all-over updo.
Shop the Story
Have Your Say
What do you think of Jessica’s Comic-Con look?
Do you love this side-swept hairstyle idea?
Are you inspired to wear a mini-braid?