If you've spent any amount of time poking around this website's fragrance section, then you know I'm a sucker for niche scents—and if they're made from natural ingredients, even better.
Because Saje's philosophy is all about the healing power of plants, these scents are 100 percent natural and derived from essential oils, in a jojoba oil base. So they're non-synthetic and have no weird rancid PUFA oils (a gripe I have with Tata Harper's sunflower seed oil-based Love Potion).
There are five to choose from, and each one comes in its own faux silk drawstring bag:
How sweet, right?
But what's REALLY special about these is that each one features a different gemstone rollerball, to add an additional dimension of healing beyond the actual aromatherapeutic scents.
You heard that right. Gemstones! (Which are another one of my hippie obsessions. I have a rose quartz necklace and I swear it does things. Specifically what, we'll get to in a sec.)
Basically, these rollerballs allow your skin to come into contact with the gemstone, at your pulse points, to harness its unique properties more deeply.
Here's what each one is meant to do:
- Shanthi (Serene & Tranquil): "This beautiful, complex, balanced blend of rich flowers, herbs, spices and citruses is sweet and comforting and yet, simultaneously exotic." Gemstone: White Marble
- Ananda (Confident & Whole): "Clarifying and cleansing sandalwood and juniper, blended with sweet, uplifting citruses and euphoric florals help to calm the mind and open the heart to feelings of joy." Gemstone: Tiger's Eye
- Goddess (Fulfilling & Heartfelt): "This gorgeous blend was formulated to connect us with our femininity, to uplift the spirits and to instill feelings of love, happiness and even euphoria. Our very popular Goddess blend includes notes of sweet florals, uplifting citruses and rich vanilla." Gemstone: Rose Quartz
- Tantra (Loving & Abundant): "Luxuriate in the rich, exotic, health-enhancing benefits of this warm and tantalizing personal fragrance that gets you in the mood for love." Gemstone: Jade
- Yoga (Mindful & Grounding): "Another Saje favourite, this calming personal fragrance contains a powerful union of grounding, earthy, citrus, and sweet floral Essential Oils." Gemstone: Amethyst
Saje let me pick a couple to try, and I knew immediately that I wanted Goddess, based on both its description and the ingredients, which are:
Simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil; essential oils of citrus tangerina (tangerine), citrus aurantium amara (neroli), jasminum officinale (jasmine), rosa damascena (rose otto), cananga odorata (ylang ylang), vanilla planifolia (vanilla) alcohol infusion and citrus aurantifolia (lime).
I also liked the sound of Tantra, which includes:
Simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil; essential oils of pogostemon cablin (patchouli), citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) peel, michelia champaca (champaka), lavandula angustifolia (lavender), vanilla planifolia (vanilla), cymbopogon martini (palmarosa), aniba rosaeodora wood (rosewood), santalum album (sandalwood) and zingiber officinale (ginger) root.
Both are subtler than normal perfumes, and need more frequent re-application, but I'm totally okay with that. They're also less complex, but I've never claimed to be a highbrow fragrance person. No surprise, Goddess is very "me"—anything with ylang-ylang, jasmine, neroli and vanilla, I just love. I like Tantra too, which is warmer and woodier; I actually like layering them both for daytime.
You'd think the gemstones would make these scents crazy-expensive, but nope. At $30 apiece, they're actually quite reasonable considering the quality of ingredients you're getting (just compare with Strange Invisible's prices and you'll see what I'm talking about). And I like that they're purse-sized instead of big spray bottles, so you can pop one in your handbag and bring it with you.
Where To Buy
Have Your Say
Have you checked out Saje perfumes yet? Which ones are you drawn to most?