It's Met Ball time! Held last night in New York City, the biggest fashion event of the year invited guests to dress according to the theme of "China: Through the Looking Glass". Beauty-wise, that translated into fab hair accessories and headpieces, vampy red lipsticks and an overall dramatic vibe.
Here are the night's beauty looks:
Do you love? I love. Yep, even with the false lashes. Rihanna looks like a doll come to life in this perfectly executed Eastern-inspired look, completed by an ornate gold headpiece. Her skin is out of this world, and I adore the little high-fashion touches: blush swept right up to the temples, a pointy Cupid's bow and the straightened, angled brows. No, it's not for every day, but she rocked the heck out of this theme.
Pretty, pretty, pretty. Kendall is doing a toned-down (VERY toned-down) version of her big sis Kim Kardashian's usual style. Why can't Kim try this? Yes, there is the signature Kardashian contouring, nude lips and false lashes, but they're all tasteful and not offensive. I'm particularly mesmerized by Kendall's almond-shaped eyes, which look incredible with the champagne shimmer shadow framed by black on the upper lash lines. The severity of the hairstyle keeps things dressy.
- Lipstick: Estée Lauder Pure Color Envy Sculpting Lipstick in Insatiable Ivory
- Mascara: Estée Lauder Little Black Primer
- Liquid liner: A new one from Estée Lauder launching this summer!
Diane can do no wrong, so even though we've already seen a version of these taupey eyes and red lips recently, I'm more than fine with them again. We know she does her own makeup, and what a nice job she did of the skin finish and the baby cat-eye flicks (with no distracting lashes). I'm always a huge fan of her brushed-out, mid-length waves, and the real flowers are a nice touch.
On the one hand, Rita's skin and hair look great, and the makeup's been executed with such precision. But that's just it—this feels a bit too precise. It's the matchy-matchiness of the red lips, red dress and red blush, and the super-angular brows. I dunno... I just like my beauty a little more imperfect, a little more real.
- Lipstick: Rimmel Show Off Matte Lip Velvet Lacquer in Burning Lava and Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick in Alarm
- Mascara: Rimmel Wonder'Lash Mascara
- Eyeliner: Rimmel ScandalEyes Micro Eyeliner
- Foundation: Rimmel Lasting Finish 25H Foundation in Sand
I'm not sure Jessica got the memo about the theme... this seems like her usual go-to Old Hollywood attire. (Which, don't get me wrong, she wears really well.) It's great to see a new hairstyle on her, the faux wavy bob, and of course, she's always beautiful in a red lip. What I'm not getting is why the brows have to be quite so drawn-on, and the odd yellow highlights at the inner corners of her eyes.
- Lipstick: Colour Pop Cosmetics Lippie Stix Lipstick in Fighter
- Eyeshadow and blush: Kristofer Buckle Always Flawless Day to Night Palette
We've also seen a version of this makeup on Chloë before, but no matter. She looks great in stained lips, flushed cheeks and big brows, with subtle smudginess to define the eyes. But most of all, I like the centre part and the low, straight ponytail.
Eeks! If it weren't for the heavy, heavy lashes, I'd be all over this look of Selena's. Well, almost. I'm thinking the brows might look better if the brushing was more diagonal than straight up, although I do like how natural they are. Also great: the strong red lip, the luminous skin and the oversized white floral headpiece.
Let's face it. Nobody was looking at Beyoncé's hair and makeup last night, because her dress (or lack thereof) was so very distracting. That said, I'm not loving the cheerleader hair... at least not for an event that Anna Wintour is also attending. What I do like is the harmony between her radiant skin, blonde hair, pink lipstick and the colours of the dress. So in that aspect at least it works. I'm not crazy about the extreme flicks of the eyeliner, and it looks like the tail of one eyebrow is missing?
- Eyeshadow: L’Oréal Paris Infallible Eyeshadow in Endless Sea and Infinite Sky
- Eyeliner: L’Oréal Paris The Super Slim Liner
- Mascara: L’Oréal Paris Voluminous Miss Manga Mascara
- Illuminator: L’Oréal Paris True Match Lumi Liquid Glow Illuminator in Golden and Rose (out in July)
- Foundation: L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Matte Foundation
Georgia May Jagger
I love the idea of this—vintage side-swept curls, big flower, nude makeup—and it should work, since Georgia has the raw materials if anyone does. But up close, I can't help but feel underwhelmed, and I'm not sure why. Maybe the makeup's on the wrong side of tawny. Maybe we need more eye definition. Or maybe we need more punch on the lips.
OMG! Janelle's skin couldn't be more flawless. So what better way to show it off than this over-the-top braided hairstyle? (They're calling it a "WondaBraid". Indeed.) But really, I can't get over her skin, and how the makeup isn't covering it but enhancing it The bright lips, coated lashes and liner are all perfect.
- Lipstick: CoverGirl Colorlicious Lipstick in Hot
- Mascara: CoverGirl LashBlast Volume Mascara
- Eyeliner: CoverGirl Perfect Point Plus Eyeliner in Black Onyx
- Eyeshadow: CoverGirl Eyeshadow Quad in Go for the Golds (the medium bronze shade on the lids and the deep brown as liner)
- Brows: CoverGirl Professional Natural Lash Mascara
- Primer: CoverGirl Outlast All-Day Primer (launching soon!)
- Foundation: CoverGirl Queen Collection All Day Flawless 3-in-1 Foundation
- Highlighter: CoverGirl Eyeshadow Quad in Notice Me Nudes
- Contour: CoverGirl Bronzer
Hooray! Dianna fixed that super-rooty colour and is back to her usual sandy blonde gorgeousness. I love the idea of a low-slung baby ponytail with a deep side part for evening. And her makeup looks really good here. Great skin, great brows, a subtle smoky eye with navy blue on the lids, and a pretty matte pink lipstick (latter's a bit dry, but fine).
Don't worry, it's a wig. I think Katy pulls it off, in an early '90s supermodel kind of way... if only the makeup were fresher. I don't mind the dramatic taupe shadow going diagonally right up to the brows. It's the dated-looking marsala lip liner (which is one part of the '90s we don't want back). And the sculpting is a bit heavy on her pale skin.
- Lipstick: CoverGirl Colorlicious Lipstick in Tempting Toffee
- Lip Liner: CoverGirl Lip Perfection Lipliner in Smoky
- Eyeshadow: CoverGirl Eyeshadow Quad in Go for the Golds
- Eyeliner: CoverGirl Intensify Me! Liquid Eyeliner (new)
- Mascara: CoverGirl The Super Sizer Mascara (new)
- Brows: CoverGirl Bombshell Pow-der Brow & Liner in Medium Brown
- Blush: CoverGirl Clean Glow Bronzer in Spices
- Foundation: CoverGirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation
Aw, Lorde is all grown-up! Her usual wild hair is more controlled, and the makeup more sophisticated. How great is the angular eyeshadow?! I love this graphic twist on a smoky eye, especially with the gleaming gold highlights at the inner corners and the hint of navy near the lash lines.
- Eyeshadow: Sisley Phyto 4 Ombrés Eyeshadow Quartet in Dream and Mystery
- Eyeliner: Sisley Phyto Eye-Twist in Bronze
- Lipstick: Sisley Phyto Lip Twist Tinted Lip Balm in Nude and Baby
- Mascara: Sisley So Intense Mascara
- Foundation: Sisley Phyto-Teint Éclat Fluid Foundation in Nude
- Powder: Sisley Transparent Loose Face Powder
- Brows: Sisley Phyto-Sourcils Perfect Brow Pencil in Cappuccino
- Moisturizer: Babor Skinovage PX Perfect Combination Daily Mattifying Cream
Dang, no sign in sight of Sofia easing up on her spray tan, lip liner and burgundy lipstick habit. (Hey, I can actually deal with the brows and lashes... it's the other things that make her look dated.) Blush is a bit heavy as well, but I do like her hair and the rose gold eyeshadow.
- Eyeshadow: CoverGirl Eyeshadow Quad in Blooming Blushes (shades 3 and 4)
- Mascara: CoverGirl Full Lash Bloom Mascara
- Blush: CoverGirl Cheekers Blush
- Eyeliner: CoverGirl Perfect Point Plus Eyeliner
- Lipstick: CoverGirl Outlast Longwear Lipstick in Plum Fury
- Lip liner: CoverGirl Lip Perfection Lip Liner in Beloved
- Brows: CoverGirl Bombshell Pow-der Brow & Liner in Medium Brown
- Foundation: CoverGirl Outlast Stay Luminous Foundation in Classic Tan (new)
Oh look! Katie's bob is back! It's only the most-referenced bob hairstyle in recent history, so I'm happy to see it... let's hope this is real and not a wig. Makeup is fine—great peachy lipstick—but I feel like the darkness under her eyes makes her look tired. Maybe should've skipped the smudgy liner there, or added more concealer?
So excited about this one! I don't think Ellie has ever looked so gorgeous. Haven't I been saying for ages that she should chop her hair into a lob? Finally, it's here and it's spectacular, especially with the deep side part and soft texture. That said, it's hard to take your eyes off the intense bronze shadow with skinny tightlining and normal lashes (for once!). I absolutely love this against her brown eyes and peachy skin.
- Eyeshadow: Charlotte Tilbury Colour Chameleon Colour Morphing Eyeshadow Pencil in Bronzed Garnet and Charlotte Tilbury The Luxury Palette in The Dolce Vita
- Eyeliner: Charlotte Tilbury Rock 'N' Kohl Iconic Liquid Eye Pencil in Bedroom Black and Barbarella Brown
- Mascara: Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes Mascara
- Contour and highlight: Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow
- Blush: Charlotte Tilbury Cheek to Chic Swish & Pop Blush in Ecstacy
- Lip liner: Charlotte Tilbury Lip Cheat in Pillow Talk
- Lipstick: Charlotte Tilbury K.I.S.S.I.N.G. Lipstick in Penelope Pink
- Lip Gloss: Charlotte Tilbury Lip Lustre Luxe Colour-Lasting Lip Lacquer in Seduction
- Brows: Charlotte Tilbury Brow Lift in Cara D
- Foundation: Charlotte Tilbury Light Wonder Youth-Boosting Perfect Skin Foundation in 7 Medium
- Concealer: Charlotte Tilbury The Retoucher Conceal & Treat Stick in 2 Fair and 3 Medium
- Primer: Charlotte Tilbury Wonderglow Instant Soft-Focus Beauty Flash Primer
Uh-oh. Is it just me or is Elizabeth looking a bit, well... tight? Like something has been pulled around the temples? Maybe the ponytail is just that snug. Or maybe she went overboard with the cheek fillers. Anyway, I like this a lot otherwise. The bright turquoise is doing nice things for her skin, and the navy reverse cat eyes are a cool touch. Bit heavy on the spray tan, though.
Will the old Miley please come back? In the early days of this short haircut, she was killing it on the red carpet with experimental makeup looks. Now, we just get experimental hair, like this metallic silvery blue "wet-look" hair. I suppose it does make her eyes pop. But I miss seeing her with fun lipsticks and shadows. The goopy gloss and harsh contour aren't doing it for me.
Wowza! I'm impressed, Madonna. Sure, she has a history of overdoing it with injectables and cray-cray outfits, but this time, we have a winner. (I mean, does she look 56? No, no she does not.) I highly approve of the loose blonde waves, brushed-up brows, fresh skin and strong black eyeliner. Lip liner and yellowed teeth are still a problem, and so are the dark roots. But I'll bet she does her hair like that deliberately so she can be all, "See? I don't have any grey hair yet."
Yassss! I've been waiting patiently for Olivia's triumphant post-baby return to the red carpet, and this here is what it's all about. She played it just right with the theme of the night, wearing her hair loose but pulled back in a satin headband, and adding drama with a smoked-out cat eye. So much gorgeousness.
- Lipstick: Revlon Ultra HD Lipstick in HD Camilia
- Lip liner: Revlon ColorStay Lip Liner in Nude
- Eyeliner: Revlon PhotoReady Kajal Liner in Matte Coal and Revlon ColorStay Liquid Liner in Blackest Black
- Eyeshadow: Revlon ColorStay 16 Hour Eye Shadow Quad in Addictive
- Mascara: Revlon Bold Lacquer Mascara in Black
- Primer: Revlon PhotoReady Prime + Anti Shine Balm
- Foundation: Revlon PhotoReady Airbrush Effects Makeup
- Blush: Revlon Powder Blush in Racy Rose
Ooh, this is clever also! Keri replicated the multi-dimensional feathers of her dress in her eyeshadow. The shades of green, gold and blue are all blending together for a uniquely colourful smoky look. Wisely, she kept her skin fresh, lips nude and hair back, to keep the focus on the work of art.
- Eyeshadow: Pacifica Mystical Eyeshadow Palette
- Mascara: Pacifica Aquarian Gaze Mascara
- Highlighter: Pacifica Radiant Shimmer Coconut Multiples
- Foundation: Pacifica Ultra CC Cream Radiant Foundation
- Powder: Pacifica Perfect Lotus Universal Pressed Powder
- Lipstick: Pacifica Devocean Natural Lipstick in Tenderness
I'm getting the same vibes from Kate as I did from Elizabeth Banks. Injectable vibes. But aside from that, she does look good here. How amazing is that berry lip shade? Plus the chunky lashes (no falsies) and gold shadow. I find she always does contour too heavy, but otherwise... perfection.
- Eyeshadow: Burberry Complete Eye Palette in 25 Gold
- Eyeliner: Chanel Stylo Yeux Waterproof Long-Lasting Eyeliner in Espresso
- Mascara: Physicians Formula Eye Booster Instant Lash Extension Kit
- Foundation: Tom Ford Traceless Perfecting Foundation
- Contour: Physicians Formula Argan Wear Ultra-Nourishing Argan Oil Bronzer in Light
- Blush: Physicians Formula Argan Wear Ultra-Nourishing Argan Oil Blush in Natural
- Highlight: Physicians Formula Nude Wear Touch of Glow Palette in Light
- Lipstick: Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet in La Sompteuse (no longer available)
Ugh, this family. There's Gigi and then there's Bella, another model who is equally, ridiculously stunning. Here's a rare instance of strong contouring actually working well to add dimension. It helps that her skin is in insane condition, and she's got so much space on her face to work with. I'm particularly enamoured with the eyes, which feature taupe shadow for days, natural lashes and flirty gold shimmer at the inner lash lines. With a face like this, you definitely want to show it off with an unforgiving tight top knot.
Ah, I love what Rosie is doing here, for once! Normally, I find her a bit wooden and monotone (too much rosy brown?), but all it took was slicking her hair back and adding a vampy dark red lipstick. Suddenly, you appreciate her great bone structure and features... and dare I say it? She looks more feminine.
- Lipstick: Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet Luminous Matte Lip Colour in La Sensuelle
- Foundation: Chanel Vitalumière Aqua Ultra-Light Skin Perfecting Sunscreen Makeup in Beige 40, blended with damp Beautyblender
- Bronzer: Chanel Méditerranée Lumière d’Été Bronzing Powder (along the hairline, cheekbones and jawline)
- Eyeshadow: Chanel Ombre Essentielle Soft Touch Eyeshadow in Hasard
- Mascara: Chanel Inimitable Waterproof Mascara in Noir
Jennifer's pink lipstick is everything. The rest of the celebs chose nudes and reds of varying depths, so this fun, springy shade definitely makes her stand out. She has a beautiful flush on her cheeks and some clever shadow shading on her hooded eyes. Plus look, her hair is finally getting long enough to pile into a high bun. Or maybe (probably) it's extensions.
Are you as blown away as I am? It's hard to believe this is the same person we saw just last week at the White House Correspondents' Dinner. But yes, it's beauty chameleon Adriana, this time rocking deep burgundy lips, exaggerated arches and a super-cool set of bangs. (I'm not sure if they're real, but they are so great!) The touch of silver adds some life and glamour to the standard smoky eye.
- Lipstick: Maybelline Creamy Mattes in Divine Wine
- Eyeshadow: Maybelline The Nudes Palette
- Eyeliner: Maybelline Master Kajal in Onyx Rush
- Mascara: Maybelline Volum’ Express The Rocket Mascara in Very Black
- Brows: Maybelline Brow Define + Fill Pencil (launching in June) and Maybelline Brow Drama
- Foundation: Maybelline Dream Wonder Foundation
- Concealer: Maybelline Face Studio Master Conceal
- Contour: Maybelline Face Studio Master Glaze in Warm Nude
- Highlight: Maybelline Face Studio Master Hi-Light in Nude
Vanessa usually does great on the red carpet, but this is way too much (<—massive understatement). I want to say "pick one". Either the red lipstick, the smoky eyes or the bold brows. Because the veil is already bringing the drama and to add more and more is not only unnecessary, but highly perplexing.
Nice! A relatively fresh-faced Kim is a rare sight, so let's drink this in. She has a great hairline and face shape for sleek hairstyles, and the peach tones of the makeup are actually quite pretty. Even her lashes are much tamer than usual. Is it wrong if I say I kinda like this?
Funny that I've got a post coming up on what to do when your face is darker than your body, because Reese is an example of that—just very, very slightly. All she needs is a bit of colour on the neck so her foundation doesn't look like a mask. Aside from that (and the stray makeup brush hairs), I like this a lot. She pulls off the centre-parted, behind-the-ears hairstyle well, and the eyes pop without overwhelming her fair colouring.
- Foundation: NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation
- Blush: NARS Dual-Intensity Blush in Fervor
- Lipstick: NARS Audacious Lipstick in Anita
The most impressive beauty effort of the night has to go to Cara, whose faux body tattoos of cherry trees, birds and Chinese fans took 11 hours to create. Meanwhile, hair and makeup are on point. The sleek updo and neutral face with just a smoky eye keeps your focus on the body art.
Hailee looks pretty, but something this feels a bit too casual to me—if her hair were up or sleek and straight, or perhaps in a faux bob, it would be more Met Gala-ish. (Not that her hair isn't lovely.) The precise, rounded shape of the lipstick application is simply amazing.
Her cheeks are protruding (common theme on this red carpet), but otherwise, I love Rachel's hair and makeup here. The hair is a bit vintagey but still soft and touchable, and the purple lids are a cool contrast with the orangey-red glossy lipstick.
- Lipstick: Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet Luminous Matte Lip Colour in La Fascinante
- Lip gloss: Chanel Rouge Coco Shine Hydrating Sheer Lip Colour in Dialogue
- Eyeshadow: Chanel Les 4 Ombres Quadra Eyeshadow in Tissé Cambon and RMS Beauty Living Luminizer
- Eyeliner: Chanel Écriture de Chanel Automatic Liquid Eyeliner in Noir
- Foundation: Chanel Vitalumière Aqua Ultra-Light Skin Perfecting Sunscreen Makeup
- Blush: Chanel Les Beiges Healthy Glow Sheer Colour Stick in No. 21 (coming soon!)
- Brows: Chanel Crayon Sourcils Sculpting Eyebrow Pencil in Brun Cendré
- Mascara: Chanel Le Volume de Chanel Mascara in Noir
Carey has been out of the spotlight since 2013, or at least on this blog. Back then, she was a blonde and I think I prefer it to this new brunette. Or maybe it's just the harshness of the dark lip and minimal blush, which is making her look quite washed-out. That said, she's definitely the type whose beauty is more apparent in motion—if you watch her on film, you can't take your eyes off her.
- Lipstick: Tom Ford Lip Color Matte in Velvet Cherry
- Foundation: Kiehl's Skin Tone Correcting & Beautifying BB Cream in Fair/Light
Well, this is MUCH better than the scary Uma from a couple months ago. She looks so much more herself here—fresh, light makeup, soft brows, soft lips and an overall Grecian vibe, what with the updo and the dangly green earrings. The only thing I don't like are the false lash strips, which seem so straight and heavy.
- Eyeshadow: Surratt Artistique Eyeshadow in Truffe and Noir Le Plus Noir
- Eyeliner: Surratt Auto-Graphique Eyeliner in Chat Noir
- Lipstick: Surratt Lipslique in Perfectionniste
- Blush: Surratt Artistique Blush in Guimauve and Parfait
- Moisturizer: La Mer The Concentrate
- Concealer: Surratt Surreal Skin Concealer
I'm all for graphic touches, but I feel like these heavy flicks are just too graphic, and distracting. But I'm a major fan of Dakota's overall beauty vibe. The fresh skin, the stained pink mouth, the tousled hair... all are fablous. I only wish she did a cat eye more along the lines of, say, Felicity Jones.
- Lipstick: NARS Audacious Lipstick in Vanessa
- Eyeliner: NARS Eye Paint in Black Valley
- Mascara: NARS Audacious Mascara (out this fall)
Ooh, this is great! I'm glad someone here did a faux wavy bob besides Jess Chastain, and Alison is wearing it beautifully. I also love her eye makeup, which is bringing out the big, rounded shape of her eyes.
The makeup is excellent—truly, truly excellent—so it's really too bad it got overshadowed by the gold hoodie. I just knew it was a Kate Lee job! The queen of seamless skin and "you, only better" makeup gave Anne beautiful flushed skin, lit-from-within peachy cheeks, glossy lips and the kind of lashes I want to see on red carpets forever (but rarely do).
- Foundation: Chanel Perfection Lumière Velvet Smooth-Efffect Makeup
- Blush: Chanel Le Blush Crème de Chanel in Cheeky
- Eyeshadow: Chanel Ombre Essentielle Soft Touch Eyeshadow in Taupe Grise
- Mascara: Chanel Inimitable Waterproof Mascara
- Brows: Chanel Crayon Sourcils Sculpting Eyebrow Pencil in Brun Naturel
- Lip gloss: A new Chanel plumping gloss coing out in September!
Yet another dark berry-red lipstick, this time on Amanda. It's not my favourite—I much prefer when she plays up those big eyes—but it works with her sleek, centre-parted updo and fresh skin.
Sarah Jessica Parker
You've gotta hand it to SJP... with her elaborate headpiece, she does keep this red carpet interesting. I'm just not sure why she's taking cues from JLo on the eyeshadow front. The whole 360-degree application thing IS on trend, but it's so hard to find her actual eyes in that huge strip of colour.
Speaking of JLo, big uh-oh! I'll start with the compliments first, though. I love her hair off her face, and surprisingly find the red blush-turning into-eyeshadow a cool nod to the Asian theme. (It's a more dramatic version of what Rihanna did.) Even the false lashes could be semi-okay... except what the what is happening on her lips?! I've never seen something like this before. Why is there a ring of beige lip gloss surrounding the actual nice colour? If this is supposed to make us think she's got bigger lips, it's not working.
An even more literal interpretation of the theme of course had to come from Lady Gaga—who else? And so I can't really review this from a normal red carpet standpoint. It's full-on Geisha wear. (Is there such a thing as a Chinese Geisha? Because this looks like it would be that.) There is one thing here you could take to the street, and it's those impeccably stained pink lips.
- Lipstick: NARS Audacious Lipstick in Greta
- Highlight: NARS Illuminating Multiple in Violet Atom
- Eyeshadow: NARS Dual-Intensity Eyeshadow in Himalia
Just when her daughters are starting to tone down their lashes, Kris goes in the opposite direction. These literally look like a scary insect has landed on each eyelid. To add insult to injury, the contour looks muddy and the lip gloss/liner situation is way too heavy-handed. Most of all, one can't look away from those inflated cheeks! Sigh... I wish Bruce were on this red carpet.
Have Your Say
Who had the best look on this red carpet? The worst? Would you copy any of these looks?