Do you ever get overwhelmed by all the beauty products out there?
If so, I feel you! In the years since I've been a magazine beauty editor and then a beauty blogger, things have become CRAZY—brands are launching more products than ever before, and more often!
In an effort to cut through all the noise, I thought it would be useful to start a new monthly series where I share what I think are THE must-haves from the new beauty launches for that month.
In other words, the key new launches that are interesting, innovative and worth spending your money on. Stuff that I would purchase myself (if I didn't have this weird job!).
Sound good? Here are my top picks for November 2015, in no particular order:
1. Holiday Red Lipstick: Sometimes classic is the best! The most beautiful red you can buy right now, both in packaging and in performance, is 750 Fabuleuse from Dior's stunning holiday collection. My magpie self loves anything shiny and gold, so the case itself had me at hello. But I'm also never disappointed with how Dior lipsticks perform. This one is a semi-matte red with cool undertones, and it has a lot of pigment while still feeling lightweight on the lips. The perfect chic thing to pull out of your clutch at holiday parties!
2. New Favourite Nude Lipstick: The lipstick I'm actually the MOST excited about right now is Besame Mucho from the new NARS x Steven Klein collab. Oh my God, it's a good colour—a warm, peachy-caramel nude that is insanely modern and flattering. It is opaque enough to cover up most of your natural lip tone, and the shiny finish just seems to wake up your face. I'm in love!
3. Wearable Purple Lipstick: If you've hesitated on the purple lips trend, thinking you couldn't pull it off, you CAN. You just need Mauvember, the new, limited-edition Bite Beauty lipstick that raises funds for the Movember Foundation to support men's health. The colour is a muted purple—more of an orchid-mauve—and it looks so pretty on! It reminds me a lot of Benefit's Lollitint, just in a rich, creamy, lipstick format.
4. Modern Pink Stain: We were talking the other day about this new, modern lip texture trend that is all about looking softly stained and subtly perfected. Those Maybelline and L'Oréal sticks I already mentioned are one way to get it; another is this Velvet Matte Liquid Lipstick from Guerlain's holiday collection. The shade M72 Fleur de Givre is a great medium pink, not too bright nor too soft, and unlike most liquid lipsticks, it doesn't dry you out. Plus I love this white packaging the brand is doing right now!
5. Rehab For Your Nails: If you haven't tried Sephora's Formula X range yet, you really should! The quality is impressive, and I find myself wearing their Sheer Strength polishes more than anything (since my nails are forever in need of extra TLC). Now they've come out with these little kits targeting specific nail concerns. There are three: Brightening, Hydrating and Strengthening. I'm using the latter, and you get a mini Sheer Strength colour, plus base coat, top coat and cuticle serum. All you need!
6. Sparkly Top Coat: Chanel's holiday collection is just out, and it was inspired by Vamp, their legendary black-red nail polish from the '90s. You can now buy its 2015 incarnation, Rouge Noir, but since I've never been skilled at applying dark nail polishes, my pick is the Lamé Rouge Noir Top Coat. It has flakes of gold in a clear base, just barely tinted with the same Rouge Noir hue. It looks gorgeous over any colour of polish, and is a quick way to add a little holiday sparkle!
7. Luminizing Nail Polish: Big news, RMS Beauty has come out with a 5-free nail polish line! The shades are all based on their existing makeup colours, the must-have one being Luminizer—inspired by the cult favourite Living Luminizer highlighter, of course! I am so impressed with the performance, longevity and most of all, the way this colour beautifully catches the light. It's quick to apply, goes with any outfit and has become a new go-to shade for me!
8. Frosty Blue Nail Polish: I'm a huge fan of CND's Vinylux line, which lasts longer without chipping compared to regular polishes. Their holiday collection is out now, and I've fallen head over heels for Glacier Mist. It's a light blue with silver glitter, which is a winning combo because it is as forgiving to apply as a pale pink—and then the glitter adds a little somethin' somethin'. I'll definitely be wearing this through the holiday season.
9. Cutest Touche Éclat: Touche Éclat fans, now is the time to stock up! YSL have come out with the Kiss & Love edition of this famous under-eye highlighter, which has the most adorable packaging yet: a red lip print all over the gold case! I've already talked about the Kiss & Love lipstick, but with the Touche Éclat, the packaging has way more lips on it! This is definitely one of the cutest beauty products I've EVER seen.
10. Go-Anywhere Champagne Shadow: If you've been reading this blog for a while, then you know I love my waterproof cream shadows, such as Giorgio Armani's amazing Eye Tints, which I reviewed a while back. Now the brand has come out with three more Eye Tints in their Luxe is More holiday collection, and all are in the shimmery neutral-champagne family. So they will look good on everyone, and with anything. If I had to pick, I'd say 17 Hollywood is my fave. It's close to my skin tone and has lovely subtle gold undertones that reflect the light, without looking heavy. Giorgio Armani is just the MASTER of eyeshadow.
11. Innovative Gel-Cream Blush: Often, I'll try gel blushes and they literally do not even show up on my skin. Either that, or they're TOO staining, and I end up looking like a clown before I've had a chance to properly blend. Chantecaille Cheek Gelée is different. It's a hybrid gel-cream, and is the best of both worlds: easy to apply and just slightly staining, so that the colour does last. The shade it comes in, Happy, is a soft petal pink with a teensy tiny dose of shimmer. It looks—and feels—very fresh!
12. Perfecting Primer: I was having a pretty good skin day on the weekend, so I decided to try out the new Dermalogica HydraBlur Primer. OMG! It totally perfected my skin texture to the point where I didn't even need foundation. I was so impressed. This is one of those products that is part skincare and part makeup, so you get hydration benefits along with a "blurring" effect on pores and imperfections. It does have silicone, but the texture is more creamy (it's a white gel), and it doesn't leave you with that weird "slip" like so many silicone primers. If you're in the market for a primer, this is a really great formulation.
13. Chocolate Body Scrub: Need I say more?! Fresh has a new Cocoa Body Exfoliant, and it is HEAVEN. They didn't mess around here—this stuff smells good enough to eat. The texture is almost like a mud, not too gritty, and it leaves your skin feeling soft and subtly scented. (To be honest, I think it's more about the chocolate experience than serious scrubbing.) The ingredients list is very good, and includes glycerin, coconut oil and vitamin E. Just be careful, as it looks so much like poop that it could be potentially embarrassing if you accidentally smear it on a towel or whatever!
There is so much good stuff launching this month! Hopefully, I've helped you sort through it all by highlighting the products that impressed me the most.
Shop the Story
1. Dior Fabuleuse lipstick | 2. NARS Besame Mucho lipstick | 3. Bite Beauty Mauvember lipstick | 4. Guerlain Fleur de Givre liquid lipstick | 5. Formula X nail kit | 6. Chanel top coat | 7. RMS Beauty Luminizer nail polish | 8. CND Vinylux Glacier Mist nail polish | 9. YSL Kiss & Love Touche Éclat | 10. Giorgio Armani Hollywood eyeshadow | 11. Chantecaille Happy blush | 12. Dermalogica primer | 13. Fresh chocolate scrub
Have Your Say
Anything catch your eye here? What's your favourite new product this month?